PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build Help Required (3.5)

ThreeDSix
2014-10-30, 02:54 AM
Hello Playground!

I am suffering from a serious case of tunnel vision when it comes to my latest character.
The following stats are set in stone - they cannot be changed.
STR 15
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 16
WIS 14
CHA 13

The character also has the Ancestral Knowledge feat taking up the Human bonus feat slot - that also cannot be changed.
On a positive note, the character receives the HP and Skill Points (which have been invested in Knowledge skills for the most part) from the Expert Npc class as an untyped bonus.
Available domains, should that be relevant: Travel, Time, Knowledge, Summoner

I need fresh build suggestions based on the above information, as I was absolutely focussed on a Cloistered Cleric build which, due to the Wisdom score above, looks unlikely now.

Avaliable Sources: Any, barring Homebrew, Psionics and Dragon Magazine content.
Our table has never had Magic of Incarnum played - while not banned, experience is lacking.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Oh, current party setup:
Bane Greatbow wielding fighter
Artificer
Wizard/Warweaver
--> possibly cleric/paladin
--> myself

Baldin
2014-10-30, 03:03 AM
Hi,

I've got a question. First is for the Astral Knowledge feat. If this is the feat from Races of Stone, how would you qualify for the feat? Its prequirements are Dwarf and wisdom 15, neither which you have.

As for a build, looking at your scores you would do very well as a melee gish character, since atm your party lags a melee type. Your wisdom would support a divine class, however your intel is superior and would hint to a arcane class for the gish. If you are open to any suggestions I would like to point out the Arcane Hierophant PrC from Races of Stone. This class combines the power of a wizard and a druid, making you a powerfull caster and wild shaper.

Hope I was of help,
Cheers,
Baldin

OldTrees1
2014-10-30, 03:20 AM
14 Wisdom is more than sufficient
14 Wis +1 every 4th HD =
14 Wis at 1-3 (more than sufficient for 2nd level spells)
15 Wis at 4-7 (more than sufficient for 4th level spells)
16 Wis at 8-11 (more than suficient for 6th level spells)
17 Wis at 12-15 (covers 7th level spells, but a Periapt of Wisdom +2/Owl's Wisdom would be useful at 15th level)
18 Wis at 16-19 (covers 8th level spells, but a Periapt of Wisdom +2/Owl's Wisdom would be useful for 17th-19th levels)
19 Wis at 20 (covers 9th level spells)

ThreeDSix
2014-10-30, 03:33 AM
Hi,

I've got a few questions. First is for the Astral Knowledge feat. If this is the feat from Races of Stone, how would you qualify for the feat? Its prequirements are Dwarf and wisdom 15, neighter which you have.

As for a build, looking at your scores you would do very well as a melee gish character, since atm your party lags a melee type. Your wisdom would support a divine class, however your intel is superior and would hint to a arcane class for the gish. If you are open to any suggestions I would like to point out the Arcane Hierophant PrC from Races of Stone. This class combines the power of a wizard and a druid, making you a powerfull caster and wild shaper.

Hope I was of help,
Cheers,
Baldin

I'll take a look at Arcane Hierophant, thanks :smallsmile:

All feats with a racial requirement have had it removed, since the only race we can be is human.
As to the Stat requirement, we are told to create a character using an Npc class and our rolled Stats. Then we create a backstory and concept and the DM applies regional Stat bonuses based on the region that best fits our fluff and concept, not necessarily our intended build. I put an 18 into Wis, regional bonus put it down to 14.
DM's ruling to the feat: It is inactive until I qualify for it again. Wasted feat? Live with it. :smalltongue:
This is a homebrew world, just so you know.

Baldin
2014-10-30, 04:10 AM
I'll take a look at Arcane Hierophant, thanks :smallsmile:

All feats with a racial requirement have had it removed, since the only race we can be is human.
As to the Stat requirement, we are told to create a character using an Npc class and our rolled Stats. Then we create a backstory and concept and the DM applies regional Stat bonuses based on the region that best fits our fluff and concept, not necessarily our intended build. I put an 18 into Wis, regional bonus put it down to 14.
DM's ruling to the feat: It is inactive until I qualify for it again. Wasted feat? Live with it. :smalltongue:
This is a homebrew world, just so you know.

Fair enough =]. Let me know what you think of the class=]

ThreeDSix
2014-10-30, 05:53 AM
14 Wisdom is more than sufficient
14 Wis +1 every 4th HD =
14 Wis at 1-3 (more than sufficient for 2nd level spells)
15 Wis at 4-7 (more than sufficient for 4th level spells)
16 Wis at 8-11 (more than suficient for 6th level spells)
17 Wis at 12-15 (covers 7th level spells, but a Periapt of Wisdom +2/Owl's Wisdom would be useful at 15th level)
18 Wis at 16-19 (covers 8th level spells, but a Periapt of Wisdom +2/Owl's Wisdom would be useful for 17th-19th levels)
19 Wis at 20 (covers 9th level spells)

It is. My build before I cam here was Cloistered Cleric 1 / Human Paragon 3 / Divine Inquisitor 3 / Cloistered Cleric 3 for a total of 16 Wisdom and 14 Charisma at Level 10, with more than enough points at level 12, 16 and 20 to get the necessary Wisdom. However, I am sure there are more efficient ways to make use of those stats.

@Baldin: Hierophant is interesting, if too nature themed. The fluff of the Region my character now hails from states that these people are imperialists and industrialists, with an open view to magic though they don't at all care for nature. My character as a result gains a -8 penalty to Knowledge (Nature), as well as -4 penalties to Ride and Handle Animal.
So Druid is probably a no go.

OldTrees1
2014-10-30, 09:55 AM
It is. My build before I cam here was Cloistered Cleric 1 / Human Paragon 3 / Divine Inquisitor 3 / Cloistered Cleric 3 for a total of 16 Wisdom and 14 Charisma at Level 10, with more than enough points at level 12, 16 and 20 to get the necessary Wisdom. However, I am sure there are more efficient ways to make use of those stats.

Human Paragon loses a caster level. This makes your original 14 Wis even more efficient (only lacking at levels 18 and 19). So I would go for 16 Str, 16 Wis and 14 Cha at level 12 (16 Str and 16 Wis at level 8).

Honestly I do not see a more efficient way to use the stats. Your high Str/Con implies combat and you were thinking of a caster. The +2 Int over Wis is not enough to make an Int based Gish better than the Cleric gish in a can.

ranagrande
2014-10-30, 10:02 AM
How about Archivist for int-based divine casting and the ability to learn almost every spell in the game?

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-30, 10:19 AM
factotum then chameleon. You guy is kinda good at everything.