PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wilder Enervation Min-Maxing

TheG
2014-10-30, 03:27 AM
Hi, i was looking for a new psionic character in a Pathfinder campign and i thought to give a try to the new-brewed Wilder.
As you know with the dreamscarred press' update wilders get to choose what kind of Psychic Enervation (Ex) they will suffer. the two i found that could be minimized are the Student’s Surge and the Warrior’s Surge.

The wannabe character is blast-focused ChaWilder (maybe i'll add my WIP spell selection later)

- Student's surge -
When Psi-Enervated (15% chance) you will become dazzeled (-1 Attack Rolls and Perception based checks) for a number of rounds equal of the level of the Wild Surge, and lose PP equal to your base Manifester Level.

Countermeasures: while dazzeled condition isn't very much in cost of action economy, for a melee or ray focused wilder could be a pain, 'cose penalities stack. The workaround i found is Ifrit Race + Firesight feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/firesight-ifrit), that gives immunity to dazzeled condition. Enervation Fortitude finishes the job halving the PP loss.

Pros. Total immunity to the affecting condition, decreased PP loss. Sudent Surge Bond gives + Psicrystal Affinity + 4 Expanded Knowledge.
Cons. Ifrit dosen't have Favored Class option for wilder, racial abilities don't synergize with the wilder chassis ( Mandatory replacements: Efreeti Magic - Fire-Starter - Wildfire Heart)

- Warrior Surge -
When Psi-Enervated you become staggered (only move or standard action in a turn. normal free, swift, immediate actions) and lose HP equal to your base Manifester Level.

Countermeasures: against the staggered condition i found nothing (till now), but Elans' racial ability Resilience could offset the damage easily, with enervation fortitude you are going to lose only 1/4 of you maniferster level in PP.

Abuse?: Howerver this method stinks a little bit of bad cheese: infact the wording of warrior's surge is "A warrior wilder overcome by psychic enervation is staggered until the end of her next turn and loses a number of hit points equal to her normal manifester level" and the wording of Resilience (Su) "When an elan takes damage, he can spend power points to reduce its severity. As an immediate action, he can reduce the damage he is about to take by 2 hit points for every 1 power point he spends." I don't know if my MtG backgound is forcing me to think that damage is different to hit point loss, and general rulings from Pfsrd "Loss of Hit Points: The most common way that your character gets hurt is to take lethal damage and lose hit points." seems that damage causes hit point loss but say anything about an alleged equivalency. What's your position about this??

Adjustment: the alternate racial traits for elan Reconstruction grants "Fast Healing 2 for a number of rounds equal to the number of pp spent" could offset the HP loss, but it's a slow recovery and the loss of resistance and resilience it's a big hit for the power-starved wilder.

Pros: if the Resilence method it's valid when enervated you'll lose 5pp @ML20 (with enervation endurance) and will have only a partial action for 1 turn, if is not, (always with enervation endurance) "Improved Surge Bond: Hardened Body" temporary HP can offset the HP loss, assuming that the character wild surges every turn. Elan favorite class option give an extra 5 powers within 20Lvs.
Cons: Reconstruction it's useful only at low levels, and replaces resistance too. Hardened Body lose effectiveness with vigor (temp Hp dosen't stack)

Which is the best in your opinion?

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-31, 04:01 PM
Cheap 5/day (or 10/day if you buy 2...) counter-measure for staggered: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-ferocious-action

And the Vigor power seems like the easiest way to offset the hp loss to me.