PDA

View Full Version : Psion feat help 3.5

Monk of love
2014-10-30, 04:11 AM
Hello! so I am in a game currently, I am en Elan Psionic, and just went into lvl 3, I have psi crystal and azure talent(which at lvl 3 my dm will allow be to replace it as a one time thing if I want too) The problem is I am stuck with so many options, I chose telepath because I want to take people over pretty much the problem is the low DC, So I am currently looking for ways to increase my dc to will saves but all I have really found are +1's for an entire feat which is just too much, considering the limited feats, I am also willing to prestige into something (assuming the benefits are huge) considering I would be losing the 2nd lvl psionic powers if I did so.

All 3.5 books are allowed(official) so if anyone know some awesome ways to increase my DC or to grant me more mind powers is what I am most interested in.

Feint's End
2014-10-30, 04:21 AM
Well azure talent isn't a good option unless you want to go soul manifester (which is of course an option). Otherwise stay away from that.

How about buying a psinatrix of telepathy ASAP? It is 8000 gold buy permanently increases saves for one discipline by 1. Generally you shouldn't have too many problems with saves though. How high is your intelligence?

As for feats: you eventually want psi crystal containment, overchannel, psionic Meditation, extend power and probably talented

Those are the ones every psion needs so you might as well start taking them now.

Monk of love
2014-10-30, 04:25 AM
Yeah I was planning on dropping it because it's really not that useful and 8000 gold is not a problem so that seems like a pretty good idea actually. My intelligent is an 18, but for suggestion that still puts my dc 16 which can be passed by pretty easily.

I was thinking it might be useful to use an expanded knowledge feat for animal affinity for the +4 to int? and other stats when need be. as well as a plus 2 or plus 4 headband of int.

Feint's End
2014-10-30, 04:32 AM
Yeah I was planning on dropping it because it's really not that useful and 8000 gold is not a problem so that seems like a pretty good idea actually. My intelligent is an 18, but for suggestion that still puts my dc 16 which can be passed by pretty easily.

I was thinking it might be useful to use an expanded knowledge feat for animal affinity for the +4 to int? and other stats when need be. as well as a plus 2 or plus 4 headband of int.

18 is good enough for most enemies if you put all your stat increases and inherent boni there ... add a +6 item and you get to 34 int by level 20 which is pretty standard.

Don't do that! Animal Affinity doesn't stack with headband (both enhancement) and falls behind quickly. Also if you get expanded knowledge you should spend it on something generally useful ... like hustle (From the psywar list), astral construct or dimension hop

Now that I think about it you could swap out Azure Talent for Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop). Get Overchannel as your 3. level feat then.

Monk of love
2014-10-30, 04:37 AM
Which book is dimension hop in? I am only finding the spell, also an important thing I forgot to say, My character actually has permanent haste on. 2 things I am having to deal with on a regular basic - Djinn and clerics.

Feint's End
2014-10-30, 05:42 AM
Which book is dimension hop in? I am only finding the spell, also an important thing I forgot to say, My character actually has permanent haste on. 2 things I am having to deal with on a regular basic - Djinn and clerics.

It's from complete psionics. It's a first level power exclusive to freedom mantle ardents (unless you get it via hidden talent or expanded knowledge) which is a swift action 10 feet teleport. Every additional power point adds 10 feet to the distance.

I think I don't have to explain why this is great.

Permanent haste is nice but not that relevant for manifesters/casters (for melee that would be awesome though). Djinn and Clerics are tricky since they both have high will saves ... can't help you there though. Try boosting your dcs via increased intelligence and a psinatrix (though you might need to swap slot later since you want to have a Torc of Power Preservation in your neck slot).

frogglesmash
2014-10-31, 02:28 AM
Well there's always the Bestow Power abuse. My favourite combo is:
Linked Power
Meta Power
Psionic Meditation
Synchronicity
Bestow Power
Torque of Power Preservation (not the Magic Item Compendium version)

On a side-note: I've never actually played a psion before and was wondering if people consider this sort of thing CO or TO (if used in moderation of course i.e. not going nova every single encounter)

Feint's End
2014-10-31, 03:45 AM
Well there's always the Bestow Power abuse. My favourite combo is:
Linked Power
Meta Power
Psionic Meditation
Synchronicity
Bestow Power
Torque of Power Preservation (not the Magic Item Compendium version)

On a side-note: I've never actually played a psion before and was wondering if people consider this sort of thing CO or TO (if used in moderation of course i.e. not going nova every single encounter)

Why is synchronicity in there? It does nothing for the combination (in fact ... It makes it non-viable).

It is TO for most groups as is spelllooping on sorcerers or recalling on wizards. I personally wouldn't allow it with no restriction.

frogglesmash
2014-10-31, 01:32 PM
Why is synchronicity in there? It does nothing for the combination (in fact ... It makes it non-viable).

1. Manifest Synchronicity linked with Bestow Power (expending your focus). Meta power reduces the cost form 4 to 2 while the Torque further reduces it to 1.
2. Use your move action to regain focus. (psionic meditation)
3. Use the standard action granted by casting synchronicity in step 1 to repeat step 1.
4. Use the standard action granted by step 3 to regain your focus thus allowing you to repeat the process in the next round.

As far as I can tell this works and would work with any other first level power in synchroicity's place however I like using synchronicity because it doubles your PP recharge rate.

Rubik
2014-10-31, 02:05 PM
You can do this in any or all of the following three ways: 1.) direct boosts to your DCs (such as boosting your Int score or through a psionatrix), II.) increase your manifester level so you can spend more power points on a power and thereby increasing your DCs (such as through Overchannel), or C.) reducing the cost of your powers so you can spend more power points before hitting your manifester level cap thereby increasing your DCs by spending those "free" power points (such as through an orange ioun stone).

Ability Focus is a feat in the SRD/Monster Manual that adds +2 to the DCs of any ability you take it for, so take Ability Focus (Psionics) for +2 to all DCs for any and all manifestations you make.

The charming veil (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) increases your DCs by 1 + 1 per point of essentia. Bonus points with Psycarnum Infusion to maximize your feat's essentia capacity.

Midnight Augmentation to boost your ML, of course.

A metamagic rod made with psionics (use the rules in the Magic Item Compendium for swapping out magic prereqs for psionic ones) bound to your hands chakra gives you +1 manifester level to any power you manifest using the rod.

An orange ioun stone grants +1 to your caster level/manifester level for every class you've got (if applicable).

A psionic version of the arcanist's gloves gives you +2 to your ML for any of your 1st level powers (which remain 1st level no matter how much you augment them, meaning they stay useful throughout your entire career) 2/day. Buy multiples! They're cheap!

The Illithid Compulsion feat (from CPsi) grants a +1 to your [Compulsion] powers. Not worth it unless you've already got Illithid Heritage (for some reason) and are at a loss for feats to take.

The Earth Power feat reduces the cost of your manifestations by 1 pp while you're standing on earth. Fill your shoes with sand for best results. Preferably black sand, if you're a necropolitan.

If you've got the Magic Mantle or your game's level of magic/psionics transparency is high, the Reserves of Strength feat increases your ML by +3.

The torc of power preservation (the one in the XPH, not the crappy one in the MIC) lowers your manifestation costs by 1 pp.

Finding a way to affect yourself with (Greater) Consumptive Field will boost your ML by 50%.

Karma prayer beads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) boost your ML by +4.

Power link shards (from Secrets of Sarlona) boost your ability to spend pp by +2 2/day, they stack, and they explicitly break your ability to spend pp above and beyond your ML. You can have up to 1 per HD, though each one permanently reduces your hp total by 1. Potentially very, very broken, unless you use them very sparingly.