PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gold Weapons

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 05:52 AM
I was thinking of seeing if I could make a character who has gold as a theme since there is an Aasimar power that makes your armour appear to be made of gold, but the Gold weapon rules are a understandably poor choice.

Are there any feats or abilities I can use to mitigate the flaws of it?

Crimson Wolf
2014-10-30, 08:24 AM
To my knowledge no there are no feats to get past golds weakness. BUT one thing you can do is gold PLATE the weapons. Basically plating is just having a layer of gold over your weapon instead of fully making it of gold. From there you could probably enchant them to further increase their hp and hardness.

Boom now your Aasimar is blinged out without sacrificing weapon integrity :3

toapat
2014-10-30, 08:41 AM
at least in the Faerun Campaign Setting Alchemical Gold Weapons were better then steel ones, is that the case with the PF rules?

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 08:47 AM
To my knowledge no there are no feats to get past golds weakness. BUT one thing you can do is gold PLATE the weapons. Basically plating is just having a layer of gold over your weapon instead of fully making it of gold. From there you could probably enchant them to further increase their hp and hardness.
Is there any rules for plating metals, or are you just suggesting I reflavour my weapons to have it with no mechanical change?

at least in the Faerun Campaign Setting Alchemical Gold Weapons were better then steel ones, is that the case with the PF rules?

Nope, they just increase weight, make it fragile, etc.

Crimson Wolf
2014-10-30, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Equipment: Page 53

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

If ya wanna read the rest just read but the rest was about pure gold weapons and their drawbacks.

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Equipment: Page 53

Often golden armor is gold-plated rather than constructed entirely from gold. Gold-plated items triple the base price of weapons and armor and have the same properties as the item the gold is plating. Items constructed purely of gold cost 10 times the normal price for items of their type. Gold items weigh 50% more than typical weapons or armor of their type.

If ya wanna read the rest just read but the rest was about pure gold weapons and their drawbacks.

Triple price isn't that bad, even if it's just flavour.

Crimson Wolf
2014-10-30, 09:16 AM
Not too bad, now all I have to do is find out this item I forgot which book was in. Been at it all morning lol. Anywho glad I could help answer your questions ^^

Serafina
2014-10-30, 10:02 AM
At least for weapons triple price becomes irrelevant rather quickly, since you just double the base price. Paying ~100 gold for flavor is not really that bad.
Its more punishing for armor, at least heavier armor - a gold-plated full plate would cost an additional 3000 gp.

Overall, since it really has no mechanical benefits, i'd ask your GM whether you can count the gold-plating towards the cost of your weapons/armor enhancement bonus. Building magic items does take SOME sort of expensive material components, why not gold?

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-30, 12:03 PM
Can't predestination color things? A small cost to pay a level 1 wizard for his time should get you golden armor, just not armor made of gold.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-30, 03:16 PM
Can't predestination color things? A small cost to pay a level 1 wizard for his time should get you golden armor, just not armor made of gold.

Yeah, if you're cheap.

You don't have gold armor because gold is such a wonderful color. You have gold armor to help flaunt your wealth in the most grotesque manner you can think of.

dascarletm
2014-10-30, 03:24 PM
Yeah, if you're cheap.

You don't have gold armor because gold is such a wonderful color. You have gold armor to help flaunt your wealth in the most grotesque manner you can think of.

Yes, this!

The whole point is to dump the gold into your ostentatious display of wealth! Circumventing that is poor form.

If you all don't drop gold by the thousands into cosmetic items I feel bad for you, you're missing out on so much. :smallcool:

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 05:53 PM
Its more punishing for armor, at least heavier armor - a gold-plated full plate would cost an additional 3000 gp.

With the aasimar spell-like ability table; I rolled "Roll twice", "You can manipulate any metal armor you wear, causing it to appear to be made of shining gold.", and "You can gain sustenance from sunlight". So getting gold armour is pretty simple for me.

toapat
2014-10-30, 07:48 PM
Alchemical Gold, Magic of Faerun:
Cost: Armopr +5kg
D1-D3 weapons: 1.5Kg
d4/d6 weapons: 2.5Kg
d8+ weapons: 7Kg

Special: Armor is 1 category heavier, +10 ASF, -2 dex bonus, +3 ACP, grants +2 Fire/acid resist
Weapon damage increased by 1 step
double Weight, Steel otherwise for Hardness/hp

kinda problematic to use, but its not bad

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 07:50 PM
Alchemical Gold, Magic of Faerun

I know it, just don't want to use it because it's a PF game and PF has mechanics for Gold already.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-30, 07:51 PM
Can...You make it stop appearing like gold, or is it permanent? Because if you cannot succeed, I can see some dude dressing up as a more humble warrior to trick people who would rob poor veterans. He turns it gold in the middle of combat to scare those ruffians.

toapat
2014-10-30, 07:57 PM
I know it, just don't want to use it because it's a PF game and PF has mechanics for Gold already.

but Alchemical gold is a different material then gold

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 08:00 PM
Can...You make it stop appearing like gold, or is it permanent? Because if you cannot succeed, I can see some dude dressing up as a more humble warrior to trick people who would rob poor veterans. He turns it gold in the middle of combat to scare those ruffians.

Since it says "can manipulate" rather than any armour you wear appears to be made of gold, it seems a thing that you can choose to not do and later activate IMO.

but Alchemical gold is a different material then gold
There still both gold material rules IMO.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-30, 08:04 PM
If I remember, Alchemical gold is gold, but it is the same as say, Alchemical silver or I dunno, steel. It isn't normal gold, but gold that has been treated and has different properties. So kinda like steel is to iron.

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 08:08 PM
If I remember, Alchemical gold is gold, but it is the same as say, Alchemical silver or I dunno, steel. It isn't normal gold, but gold that has been treated and has different properties. So kinda like steel is to iron.

Yeah, magically/alchemically treated gold so that it can be used as a weapon/armour material.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-30, 08:09 PM
I'd say in that case, it could use different rules. Can I ask if you want a gold weapon for your power, or the theme? And do you have a sun theme (given the second power) or just a gold one?

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 08:12 PM
I'd say in that case, it could use different rules. Can I ask if you want a gold weapon for your power, or the theme? And do you have a sun theme (given the second power) or just a gold one?

Just theme. And don't have a sun theme technically, but gold is associated with the sun so that was a lucky bonus of the rolls.

And anyway, the alchemical gold weapon rules don't look that powerful for the cost. Probably cheaper to have a gold-plated weapon that is literally one size larger....

Coidzor
2014-10-30, 08:14 PM
So why do you want to blow a minor magic item on gold-plated armor when your armor is always going to look gold-plated anyway?

Just theme. And don't have a sun theme technically, but gold is associated with the sun so that was a lucky bonus of the rolls.

Praise the Sun!

And anyway, the alchemical gold weapon rules don't look that powerful for the cost. Probably cheaper to have a gold-plated weapon that is literally one size larger....

Why use a gold-plated large longsword instead of a gold-plated medium greatsword?

Milo v3
2014-10-30, 08:17 PM
So why do you want to blow a minor magic item on gold-plated armor when your armor is always going to look gold-plated anyway?

What? Where did I say that I'd be doing that? :smallconfused:

I wasn't going to get any magic item for these purposes, nor buy gold-plated armour.

Coidzor
2014-10-30, 08:19 PM
What? Where did I say that I'd be doing that? :smallconfused:

I wasn't going to get any magic item for these purposes, nor buy gold-plated armour.

Oh, well, that's good then.

Paying 3K gold for gold-plated fullplate as was mentioned earlier is blowing a minor magical item's price on something you already get anyway without the benefits of, say, going Mithril or something.