PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a list of Evil-aligned items

Pinjata
2014-10-30, 07:12 AM
... if there is one. Or how to search for them.

Telonius
2014-10-30, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure if there's a comprehensive list.

For Wands, the item will have the [Evil] descriptor if the spell does. It doesn't outright say that for Scrolls and Potions, so as-written they wouldn't ping. (Personally I'd houserule that they do).

Just going through the SRD, here are some items specifically called out as [evil]:

Demon Armor (specific armor)
Unholy (weapon enhancement)
Nine-Lives Stealer (specific weapon)
Darkskull (wondrous item)
Flesh Golem Manual (wondrous item)
Robe of Bones (wondrous item)
Talisman of Ultimate Evil (Artifact)

There are also two items whose auras are listed as "Varied" but would reasonably be expected to contain an [evil] component. Robe of the Archmagi (black) would be one; a Bead of Summons that's keyed to an Evil Outsider would be another.

But beyond that, there are some things that just don't make sense. Horn of Goodness/Evil doesn't have a [good] or [evil] descriptor listed, even though the spells it would cast definitely have those descriptors. Rod of the Viper doesn't have an [evil] descriptor, even though it requires the creator to be Evil. As-written, those would not ping as [evil], but it would be a very reasonable houserule to say that they were.

Pinjata
2014-10-31, 08:50 AM
Thanks Telonious, very in-depth answer.

Now none of these items really do what I want them to do, so I'd appreciate for people to comment on the following concept.

PCs will find a corpse of a former Blackguard in a dungeon and it will have several items on him. They will be evil aligned and cursed. If they detect this, fine, if not ...

I want items to give bonuses and that should not be a problem. Making things attractive via nice bonuses. As for the evil part I have in mind the following: Every day a person that carries an evil item, must make a Will save. It starts with DC 10, then goes up every day. When they fail a will save an item gets control of them, when they sleep.

Being a rather scetchy concept, I was thinking of them sacrificing to a dark god when sleeping/sleepwalking. But I hope for some better ideas to get here.

What do you guys think of it?

Pinjata
2014-11-01, 08:28 AM
bump bump bump

BrokenChord
2014-11-01, 01:34 PM
You'll never find anything like that in the rules, but you can go ahead and make some items that way. They'd usually show up as Evil because whatever energy being channeled is certainly far south of neutral. Sounds kind of artifact-y, though.

Pinjata
2014-11-01, 02:36 PM
Well, Evil is a real force in DnD like gravity in ours. What do you guys think of such mechanics as I have mentioned?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-11-01, 03:01 PM
How about using the rules for intelligent items and have a battle of wills? Or use those rules as guidelines...

Telonius
2014-11-02, 01:34 AM
Sorry for the late reply; yay for Halloween. Anyway, I'd second the idea of an Intelligent Item. Intelligent Items definitely do have an alignment. This would be a perfect situation to use one.

I'd suggest that the magic item in question have some kind of big jewel. As a regular magic item, it would be a Wondrous Item with a 1/day use of the Magic Jar spell as one of its abilities. If it's picked up by a character that's anything other than its own alignment, it forgoes an ego battle and just waits until the end of the day. Since unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, the intelligent item would activate itself as soon as the wearer falls asleep. The wearer's soul is forced into the gem, and the item gets use of the body.

DrKerosene
2014-11-02, 06:27 AM
I believe you'll want to look at Fiendish or Undead Grafts.

"Drawbacks of fiendish Grafts:

Creatures of good alignment with a fiendish graft must make a Will save (DC 15) every day or take Wisdom damage as the experience drives them slowly mad.

Creatures of a non-evil alignment must make a Will save (DC 15) each day or succumb to temptation to perform an evil act. This may result in an alignment change, eventually

When characters with fiendish grafts interact with nonevil NPCs, a -6 circumstance penalty ... it reflects the subtle twisting of the host's personality."

Seto
2014-11-02, 06:54 AM
Don't the Eye and Hand of Vecna do that ? (or the Head, hehe). Other Evil-aligned, big time, items are the Regalia of Evil, but they don't quite do your temptation shtick as you need to be very Evil to be allowed to have them in the first place.

Pinjata
2014-11-03, 05:53 AM
Evil Cursed item

Evil items have following properties:

- exceptionally strong Evil aura that overrides wearers Good or Neutral alignment. This does not actually change wearers alignment.
- Whenever person is in posession of Evil Cursed item, person must once each evening make a Will save DC = 10 + number of days worn. Upon a failed save, item takes control of the wearer for eight hours as per Dominate person spell.

If you and the subject have a common language, you can generally force the subject to perform as you desire, within the limits of its abilities. If no common language exists, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “Come here,” “Go there,” “Fight,” and “Stand still.” You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically.

Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival (such as sleeping, eating, and so forth). Because of this limited range of activity, a Sense Motive check against DC 15 (rather than DC 25) can determine that the subject’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (see the Sense Motive skill description).

Changing your instructions or giving a dominated creature a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.

By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as interpreted by the mind of the subject, though it still can’t communicate with you. You can’t actually see through the subject’s eyes, so it’s not as good as being there yourself, but you still get a good idea of what’s going on.

Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.
If you don’t spend at least 1 round concentrating on the spell each day, the subject receives a new saving throw to throw off the domination.

After three consequitive failed saves, person is under items' control ad infinitum and no more saves are possible.

If item is removed from an affected person, person can make a Will save DC = 10 + number of days worn. Upon failure, person remains under control of an item, even if removed, for another 24 hours. During this time, person must use all means available to regain the posession of Evil Cursed item.

Effects of Evil Cursed item can be instantly removed by casting Remove curse on it and. Item's properties can only be destroyed in a manner any magical item is destroyed (For an example Disjunction or by Artificer).

Pinjata
2014-11-04, 06:56 AM
beggars bump