PDA

View Full Version : Planar Binding

yorkshiredave
2014-10-30, 07:40 AM
I find this spell description ambiguous. Does it include a summoning ability or not, the only clue that it does seems to be the use of the "if" when referring to other summoning spells, suggests it can be used to summon.

Morukai
2014-10-30, 08:10 AM
I find this spell description ambiguous. Does it include a summoning ability or not, the only clue that it does seems to be the use of the "if" when referring to other summoning spells, suggests it can be used to summon.

I read it as "you summon and attempt to bind" the creature by default, but can be used on an already-summoned (or free & roaming) creature instead if you want. When you cast this spell, the creature is under no compulsion to obey, and if not properly restrained (magic circle, etc) can do whatever it wants. That's the whole point of the "binding" part- you are trying to bind the creature into your service.

Also, be aware that it takes an hour (!) to cast, so it's not a quickie combat spell or anything- more of a "let's prepare this and carefully execute it because we really need the help of an outsider" type thing.

Realistically, I don't think a PC should ever attempt this one alone- to do it right, you'd need some good preparation. The inverted magic circle would need to be cast as a 4th (or higher) level spell to make the duration last longer than the casting of Binding too, and the cost is prohibitive (1000gp for the Binding, 100 for the circle, and whatever else you might need to cast).

A potentially powerful spell, but requires careful planning to execute- and it's expensive and risky.