PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for DungeonScape (5E Digital Tool Set)

Merc_Kilsek
2014-10-30, 08:54 AM
As much as I was looking forward to the new service, Wizards and Trapdoor have parted ways. Disappointing new from my point of view. Link below for the official post from Trapdoortech.

http://www.trapdoortechnologies.com/dungeonscape/

Daishain
2014-10-30, 08:59 AM
Gods dammit, I was looking forward to having a decent digital companion for D&D for once.

Yorrin
2014-10-30, 09:07 AM
As one of the Beta testers this is actually a relief to me, as the thing was so buggy and lacked so many important features that I feared it would be released in a vastly substandard form. It's good to see it didn't get past WotC's QA.

Deathtongue
2014-10-30, 09:16 AM
As one of the Beta testers this is actually a relief to me, as the thing was so buggy and lacked so many important features that I feared it would be released in a vastly substandard form. It's good to see it didn't get past WotC's QA.
So apparently there are consequences borne of implementing major revisions to your rules up until the last minute. What a surprise.

Yorrin
2014-10-30, 09:19 AM
So apparently there are consequences to doing major revisions to your rules up until the last minute. What a surprise.

It didn't really have anything to do with that. I'm talking about stuff like the inability to equip items in your inventory (and thereby update your AC, for example). Fundamental stuff like that which is largely independent of the rules.

Theodoxus
2014-10-30, 09:47 AM
This is disappointing, as I was looking forward to see how it compared to Hero Labs... but, now maybe Lone Wolf will pursue a partnership... or at least have a friendly neighborhood coder work up a demo to use.

So far, with the streamlining of numbers and standardization of rolls, this edition is the easiest to incorporate into spreadsheet / database format. Even the Excel versions of character sheets are pretty decent and not monstrous like TOS/TOS+ for 3.5

Of course, lacking book bloat, it would be - and they'll grow in size as books are released - but if WotC (and third parties) keep the philosophy of simplicity going, it'll never be convoluted.

odigity
2014-10-30, 09:57 AM
I don't have a lot of free time, but I am a web developer... out of idle curiosity, what features would you want in a software tool meant to supplement the 5e D&D experience? Character construction? World generation? Real-time game-playing aids? Encounter generation? Dice roling? Private person-to-person communication for secrets? Shared map?

archaeo
2014-10-30, 10:02 AM
Frankly, I think this is good news. That beta was insanely buggy, and now maybe WotC will try to work with already established companies/products. It will also be very interesting to see how this changes the company's strategy for releasing new content, since it seemed like DungeonScape was going to be how they planned on selling digital books.

That said, it's got to be disappointing to the Trapdoor folks, who did seem fundamentally decent. Shame that WotC is so lousy at finding technology partners who can deliver on their promises, though...

HorridElemental
2014-10-31, 09:28 AM
I don't have a lot of free time, but I am a web developer... out of idle curiosity, what features would you want in a software tool meant to supplement the 5e D&D experience? Character construction? World generation? Real-time game-playing aids? Encounter generation? Dice roling? Private person-to-person communication for secrets? Shared map?

One thing that would be nice is a character view customizer... Like the one that is in a ton of games (including D&D Online -_-). They promised that before but never delivered even when they had one they could have put in place *sigh*.