PDA

View Full Version : What focus for EK/Ranger/AT?

odigity
2014-10-30, 09:09 AM
I just went through the PHB to note what kind of spell focus each class uses, and I was unable to find that information for Eldritch Knight (Fighter), Ranger, and Arcane Trickster (Rogue).

What's the deal? Do those three classes have to actually manage their supply of spell components?

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-30, 09:11 AM
A component pouch is assumed to have all the (inexpensive) components you need. It's pretty much just a fluff difference compared to a focus.

That said, I'd probably allow EK and AT to use an arcane focus and Ranger to use a druidic focus. It doesn't really make any mechanical difference.

Yorrin
2014-10-30, 09:12 AM
As a DM I've ruled that EK and AT use Wizard implements since their casting is derived from Wizard. I'm AFB, but do any ranger spells even have material components?

odigity
2014-10-30, 09:18 AM
A component pouch is assumed to have all the (inexpensive) components you need. It's pretty much just a fluff difference compared to a focus.

Good point.

As a DM I've ruled that EK and AT use Wizard implements since their casting is derived from Wizard. I'm AFB, but do any ranger spells even have material components?

First one on the list is Alarm, which does. No need to search further.