PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors IC

Kish
2014-10-30, 10:34 AM
Once, there was a great and terrible wizard known as Acererak. Ruthless and cruel, utterly selfish and playfully sadistic, he lived for decades as an archmage and for centuries more as an undead lich, accumulating power such as few other mortals have known and causing suffering and misery for their own sake to all who were unlucky enough to cross his path.

Eighty years ago, the legend has it, he felt his undead lifeforce begin to wane, so he had a massive tomb complex constructed in the Vast Swamp south of Sundi. He could easily have warded it such that only another archmage could hope to set foot within. He chose instead to build a labyrinth, filled with self-resetting traps and deadly puzzles, and make it widely known that all the treasure Acererak had gathered over his life and unlife could be found somewhere within the tomb. Since then, many adventurers have sought to plunder the Tomb of its riches, and none have ever been seen again.

You have arrived at the Tomb's reported location. Before you is a low, flat-topped hill, about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long. Only ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow upon the steep hillsides and top of this 60-foot-high mound.

Atop the hill are black rocks, spaced and shaped so that they look like the eyesockets, nose hole, and grinning jagged teeth of an enormous death's head, accentuated by the overall shape of the hill.

Mordae
2014-10-30, 10:50 AM
Matoro pauses at the base of the hill, feeling the breeze as it tugs at the hood of his grey, woolen cloak. The garment has seen better days, having given the last few years of its brief life to guarding the better-maintained chainmail beneath. Here and there, acid holes and sword slashes have been hastily repaired with quick loop stitches, giving the cloth a gathered appearance like some ragged drapery.

"Well, my friends, I have guided you to this place. The portents in the earth are right. Is it now time to test our fortunes?" He pushes back his hood, revealing his freshly shaved scalp, itself bearing scars much like the cloak. His hand drops from his head to cradle the hilt of his sword, Salamander. One swift motion would see it ripped from his scabbard, one word set it alight with blazing fire. But here on the surface, there was no need.

Yet.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-30, 12:27 PM
Mildimir comes to a stop as well, hardly noticing the breeze, even wearing his cloak so it barely flutters. The elf turns to stare flatly at the ranger, and replies "Yes, we have a good team. This is doable if we take few risks. We want to move with all speed consistent with avoiding risk - and no more. This place kills. We know that. So if you don't know it's safe, it might be the thing that kills you."

While waiting for the others to ready themselves, he sets himself to a systematic visual examination of the outside of the hill, looking for doors or portals.

2/6 chance for door spotting, 3/6 chance for portal spotting.

Mordae
2014-10-30, 03:03 PM
With a faint smile, Matoro turns his yellow-tan face away from the stoic elf to regard the larger gathering of people behind him. Some, like himself and Mildimir, were hardened adventurers ready to brave whatever tests the lich had left. Others were less certain, yet to resolve to risk death. Many were simply hired hands, there to tend the wagons and keep supplies at the ready. It is this middle group that he addresses, raising his voice to carry across the open area beneath the hill. "Now is the time to make your commitment known. If you will challenge the labyrinth now, step forward and join me, that we may know our number and make our strategies. It is no slight on your honor or prowess if you wish to remain for the nonce." Several eyes turn away almost immediately, as the ranger expected. Others linger, wrestling with their apprehensions or steeling for the trial.

Amaril
2014-10-30, 03:14 PM
Dawn canters to a halt as Cassandra reins him in behind Matoro. His visible anxiety worries her; the charger has been trained not to spook in even the most terrifying of situations, and if this place is enough to make him skittish, then its reputation must be amply deserved. She gives him a comforting pat before swinging down out of the saddle. Hand drifting to Istarelle's hilt, she carefully scans the hill, listening for any sound of something hiding behind the imposing black stones.
As she focuses, the stomach-twisting feeling of illness that she's fought back since they began their approach swiftly intensifies, the air seeming to fill with a familiar, foul smell. "They certainly haven't exaggerated the stories. I don't remember ever sensing the Dark Powers so strongly." She turns back to Dawn, eyeing the heavy saddlebags he carries. "I'll join you, ranger, but give me a minute--I'll feel safer with heavier armor." Untying one of the bags and setting it down, she begins retrieving pieces of her heavy plate, assembling and donning them with an air of solemn ritual.

I'm doing my best to lend flavor to Cass detect evil ability. Even if there's nothing specifically Evil nearby, I figure she'd be able to pick something up just being in this place. It's just background fluff, but I thought it'd be cool to describe.

tomafox
2014-10-31, 11:32 AM
Father Will Mather utters a short prayer and casts Light on his shield as he draws it, as well as his mace blessed by divine goodness. He was ready to follow the other warriors into the the Tomb.

Filtro
2014-10-31, 11:43 AM
Lord Grug felt old and weak compared to all these young adventurers, but confident in their success, nonetheless.
"Let's get this done, lads!"

Kish
2014-10-31, 07:33 PM
A half-elven woman in leather armor, with a wooden shield at her side, steps forward to examine the hill. "The plantlife that covers this hill is relatively recent," she states. "Probably still older than the Tomb, though."

The west, south, and east slopes of the hill are featureless slopes of grey-black stone. The north slope is the same stone but appears substantially more decayed; the toe of the hill is a low cliff face, and below a ledge of hard stone lies a 20-foot-high outcrop of crumbling rock, rotten and eroded. The outcrop is obscured from more distant views by shrubs and bushes growing from the talus at its feet. The ledge forms a slight overhang, where the soft, rotten rock has fallen away. Snake holes in the rotten stone are apparent.

Dallahan
2014-11-01, 05:07 AM
Cicero Sforza loosened his great sword in its scabbard, he was ready to face the horrors of the tomb alongside the other warriors.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-04, 06:00 AM
Mildimir begins a thorough investigation of the cliff face, first searching it for traps to make sure the area is reasonably safe, and if it is giving a sharp tap with a spike to every square foot or so of cliff face, from top to bottom. Between rope, climbing skills, and the holes in the cliff face, this should be straightforward enough.

Kish
2014-11-04, 07:32 AM
A heavily armed dwarf steps forward and examines the hill closely. After a few minutes, he says, "I think this stone would collapse if pushed hard enough somewhere high up. A spike won't be enough; anyone have a pole?"

(If you're following his suggestion, be as specific as possible about exactly where you're prodding.)

Amaril
2014-11-04, 01:44 PM
Standing before the decayed-looking stone face, Cass frowns in thought at the dwarf's suggestion. "Hmm...would a lance work? I can get mine off Dawn, if you think someone should try it..."

raspberrybadger
2014-11-06, 02:55 PM
Mildimir, not seeing anyone taking decisive action, says "
'someone' doesn't work. I'll do it."

He takes the lance and gives a solid poke to the rock.

Lets say, center of the rock face (left to right) and 8 feet up.

Kish
2014-11-06, 03:04 PM
Stone falls from the center of the hill as Mildimir pokes, and you catch a glimpse of what looks like an entry. It looks like you should be able to clear a passage by digging with swords and hands around that area. Let me know if you're taking the time to clear a passage you can walk through, taking less time to clear a crawlspace, or poking the hill elsewhere.

Mordae
2014-11-06, 03:18 PM
Matoro nods sagely as the stones tumble around the lance. "Well suggested, master dwarf. I suggest, friends, we should see how much of this face caves in by such pressure before attempting to make a hole large enough for easy entry."

Amaril
2014-11-06, 03:59 PM
Cass nods to Matoro. "Fair enough. If you like, I can take my lance back and get to work on that." She gives the rock another thoughtful look. "Then again, I don't see much point in waiting to start clearing an entrance. This material looks pretty different from the rest, I'd guess it'll be easy to know what we can break and what we can't."

Mordae
2014-11-06, 04:17 PM
"Your words are true, divine sister. However, I observe holes in the crumbling stone that may be the lairs of snakes. Your lance is perhaps safer than putting one's hand on the adder's den." He puts his hand to his hilt. "If we are in haste, however, I will dig with a sword in one hand and a shovel in the other."

raspberrybadger
2014-11-06, 09:57 PM
Mildimir hands back the lance and watches the process intently.

Kish
2014-11-07, 08:18 PM
After about an hour, you've cleared enough of the rock from the center of the hill that you can walk in, standing upright, in single file. If you're doing so, let me know what order you're going in and what you're using for a light source.

If you continue trying to knock down all the rock you can from the hill, let me know that, too.

Filtro
2014-11-09, 01:15 PM
Lord Grug will take the lead, if no one opposes it.

tomafox
2014-11-10, 12:00 PM
Father Will Mather will be right behind Grug, lighting his path.

Mordae
2014-11-11, 09:13 AM
Matoro follows close behind the cleric, ready to come to the fore should the need arise.

Dallahan
2014-11-15, 02:56 AM
Cicero walks behind the ranger, ready leap forward should the party be attacked.

Kish
2014-11-18, 11:42 PM
For the time being, I'll assume that the half-elf woman, whose name is Onida, is fifth, Mildimir is sixth, and Cassandra is rear guard. The rest of the group that traveled here stays outside, for now.

http://i58.tinypic.com/wgrl9w.png
Brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of time. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic, with a distinct, 2-foot-wide path of red tiles snaking its way into the darkness.
No stonework can be seen on the walls or the ceiling 20 feet above, for cement or plaster has been smoothed over these surfaces and then painted in bright colors. The scenes show fields with grazing beasts, a grove with several wolves in the background, working slaves of various races (some strange), and so on. A row of grinning devil masks acts as a border.
Close to the entrance, two jackal-headed, human figures have been painted holding a real bronze chest that has been mounted to the wall. Just beyond is a scene of a dungeon cell door, complete with a painted creature whose taloned and scaled hands grasp the bars of its small window. A bit farther, on the opposite side, a beautiful siren calls and beckons enticingly.

Mordae
2014-11-19, 08:08 AM
"Well, this appears promising. One wonders whether the path is to be walked or avoided. The chest merits searching, however, before we proceed." Matoro has drawn Salamander, which emits brilliant flames that aid in lighting the corridor. "These creatures are quite lifelike, almost as if they would jump off their plaster moorings given half the chance."