PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Souls of the Forged

Pages : [1] 2 3

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 01:53 PM
The dreams had affected you all equally, making no distinction between those of martial or arcane, race or creed. From all walks of life, and all across Golorian, they called you. At first, you might have believed them big ares, the products of a fevered, or overtaxed mind. But then the purpose became clear. An eye, lid half closed, calls to you as it rests above a city, the city of Almas, Capitol of Andoran. Some of you may have tried to ignore it. Then the pain starts. The dreams wrack your mind with horrible images and spikes as you sleep, making it at best fitful, at worst impossible. Of course, the instant you set out for Almas, they cease. The dreams become cool and calming, a balm to your wearied mind.

So without fail, you arrive at Almas, the morning after the second moon of spring. You enter with the throng of people, most traders and merchants, by the west gate. That you are indeed in the right place becomes clear when one of the town message carriers, mostly urchins and street rats, runs up to you, and presses a letter into your hand befor racing off between the legs of people and beasts of burden. The crowd presses around you, and the messenger is gone. The letter is sealed, and into the wax is pressed the symbol of a half-closed eye. Clearly you have reached your destination.

The wax seal breaks easily. Inside the print is fine, clearly a note written with great care.

Greetings
I am glad you have chosen to heed my summons and arrived safely in Almas. I apologize at the unorthodox methods, but the task I have is not for the faint of heart, and I needed to know that you were the one for the job. Great battles, great fame, and rewards without number await you should you choose to undertake this quest. If you wish, find my man at the Crooked Shore tonight at the docks. He will know you.

It is not signed.

The rest of the afternoon is yours to do with as you please. Almas has any and all attractions that one could desire, though the price and location may be quite variable. What do you do?

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 03:34 PM
After reading the letter, Dardail ponders what to do until the appointed time. After a moment, He decides to first find a place to stay for the night, where his horse can get a well deserved rest.
Dardail pulls his hood a little further down over his face. Andoran may have a reputation for freedom and equality, but there is no need to tempt fate into unnecessary trouble. few people likes a tiefling, after all. He thinks to himself while riding to the nearest inn.

After renting a room and leaving his horse in the stables, Dardail asks for directions to the Avenue of the gods. During his time in the Order Dardail has heard much about this great assembly of temples, and wishes to see it with his own eyes.
When he arrives at the Avenue, Dardail heads first for the temple dedicated to Erastil. Inside the temple he leaves a few gold coins in the donation box, and exchanges some common blessings with the priests, before kneeling in prayer. He takes the time to thank Erastil for granting him the life he had with his Theodus, and humbly asks that they take good care of his adoptive father in the afterlife.
After spending a few more minutes in silent prayer, Dardail leaves the temple and spends the rest of the afternoon visiting the temples of the other good and neutral gods, giving a prayer of respect and some gold in donation to each god.
When Dardail is finally finished with his contemplative rounds later in the afternoon, he returns to the inn to relax and enjoy a good meal before heading out to the docks.

Dardail spends 100 gold pieces during the day. However much the room, food and stabling at the inn costs is covered. the rest is split into equal donations at the numerous temples on the Avenue of the gods. except the temples of evil, of course

Maquise
2014-10-30, 03:51 PM
Valus reads the letter, considering the entire matter carefully. He does not wholly trust this mysterious individual, who uses such esoteric means to deliver messages instead of addressing him directly. This... mission strikes him as odd, but the promises of great battles, fame and reward are too tempting an offer to ignore.

The city is much larger than the settlements in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, even dwarfing his hometown of Jol. The crowd presses against him, bumping and jostling the large northman. Fearing that if this continues his anger will get the better of him, Valus seeks out a tavern in a quieter section of town; somewhere that he'll have breathing room. Once he finds one, he'll pay for a chop of mutton and a fine mead, and sits somewhere that he can enjoy the view of the lovely Andoran tavern wenches.

3 sp on meat, 1 gp on mead.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 04:11 PM
Teya crumpled the letter and stuffed it into one of the small pouches at her belt. It seemed like she was finally going to get some answers about the dreams she'd been having. And they'd better be good reasons, otherwise she just might leave an imprint of her fist in the guy's face for making her abandon her search.

Thinking back, she tried to remember how long it had been since she'd contacted her family at all. Too long, she knew that much, and seeing as she had to wait for nightfall before getting her answers it couldn't hurt to take the time to write a quick letter. A quick trip to a courier's office netted her the supplies she needed, and after a couple of hours she was handing over the sealed letter addressed to her combat trainer Davor as well as a handful of gold to cover the delivery cost.

Teya's next stop was the marketplace. She spent a fair amount of time wandering around, though she didn't find much of interest that was within her budget. She did ask a few of the merchants and other travelers if they'd seen a woman who looked similar to her, though it didn't turn up anything useful. It wasn't much of a letdown, though; she'd been expecting not to find any of the information she needed here, not when her previous leads had been almost 100 miles away and going in the other direction.

As sunset approached, the woman finished her dinner at one of the dockside taverns and headed toward the meeting place. It was looking like she'd have to stay the night at one of the inns, but she would deal with that after meeting this mysterious stranger. At the docks she saw a tiefling approaching, and she dug out the letter and held it out as they approached one another. "You wouldn't happen to be the wiseguy who dragged me halfway across Andoran to meet you here, would you?"

Writing the letter: 1g for 5 sheets of parchment (used 1), 8g for ink, 1s for an inkpen, 1g for a pound of sealing wax, and 10g for delivery
3s for meals while in town

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 05:04 PM
Looking up with an expression of surprise at the young womans question, Dardail settles his face into what he hopes comes across as a friendly smile, while holding his hands up palm out.

"I'm afraid you have me confused with someone else, my good lady." Spying the crumpled letter in her hand a thought strikes him, and he continues "But if what led you here is odd dreams, and a letter delivered to you at the city gate, then I suspect we are here to see the same person"

Giving a nod and still trying to give of a friendly impression, Dardail holds out his right hand to greet her. "I am called Dardail, and have also travelled quite aways to see this "Wiseguy", as you so fittingly put it" He says, still smiling, careful not to grin to widely. showing your fangs to others is often like asking for trouble, as Dardail had learned the hard way.

Im assuming the tiefling in question is Dardail. if im wrong, just point it out.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 05:17 PM
She blinked and stared at the man for a moment after hearing his response, before grinning and accepting the offered handshake. Her grip was that of someone used to hand-to-hand combat: firm and strong, but finely controlled. "The name's Teya. Not sure what brought us here, but I'm guessing we've got to have some kind of a connection if we're both answering the same call."

She looked over his armor and sword for a moment. "I'm guessing you're a mercenary of some kind?"

Yep, I was referring to Dardail

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 05:26 PM
Finally, Almas... That took way too much damn walking.

As Jacinius takes in the sight of the city, an urchin hands him a message and then runs off into the crowd. He examines the note and scratches lightly under his iron mask. If this doesn't help me find Madelina, I'll send you over the side and have you make friends with the fishes. There is still some time before the meeting, so Jacinius resolves to kill a little time. He gets looks from some because of his mask, but it is a preferable alternative to them seeing the mark of Asmodeus branded on his face. Nope, definitely not fans of that at all.

Curiosity drives him to seek out the University District. As he looks around at the beautiful campus (still not as beautiful as Egorian), he sadly reflects on what could have been. She should be studying here right now. She would have loved it here. He asks a few people about any kidnappings that have occurred recently, but no one seems to have heard anything.

Evening draws near, and hunger gnaws at Jacinius's belly. He had run out of rations the day before. Resolving himself to filling his belly before continuing further, Jacinius stops at a local tavern and scarfs down some bread and cheese. Now full, he makes his way down to the docks. As he draws near, a realization of possible betrayal crosses his mind. Better bring some insurance. Drawing forth his special key, he summons his eidolon forth. The creature seems confused by its surroundings, but it follows his lead. A pair of figures stand at the Crooked Shore, talking animatedly. He approaches with his eidolon, trying to hear what they are saying.

1 sp and 2 cp for the food

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 05:39 PM
Looking down himself, Dardail realises that he does not carry any obvious signs that he is a paladin, except the shield on his back bearing the mark of Erastil. Chuckling slightly at himself, Dardail answers "Ha, no, but you are not far of. I am indeed a trained warrior, but not one for hire. I was trained for more than 20 years as a Paladin in an abbey dedicated to Iomedae. I travel now to find my place in the world, and give aid where I can. Then these dreams started, and led me here. I am uncertain what this all leads to, though. But I am getting of topic. You obviously have the handshake and bearing of one with training yourself, and if may be so bold, that is not something I have seen often outside my order....." Dardail trails of, as he notices the masked stranger approaching, narrowing his eyes at the sight of the disconcerting creature at his side. I don't like the look if this He thinks, before turning again to Teya "A traveller with an odd companion approaches. I suggest we either involve him in our conversation, or continue it inside." He says in a low voice "I am not sure I like having that creature watching me from the shadows"

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 05:48 PM
Teya nodded and let go of the tiefling's hand. "A paladin, eh? I wasn't expecting to hear that. No offense, of course." His comment about his order caught her interest. "You mean you haven't met very many women who know how to handle themselves in a fight outside of the ones you trained with? It was kind of like that where I grew up, my parents were always getting upset that I was more of a tomboy than a 'proper lady'." She chuckled and added, "My brother, too, except he only got mad because I kept beating him."

Her gaze turned to the masked newcomer, and nearly jumped when she saw the hellish creature standing beside him. Her voice dropped to a whisper as the figure approached. "That companion of his is more than just 'odd', don't you think?" Her smile returned, a little forced this time, and she gave a wave to the man and his strange ally. "Lemme guess, you're hear about the dreams and letter too, right?"

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 06:26 PM
Her remark is enough to put him at ease... at least, for now. There was still much more that needed explaining. Putting on a roguish smile, Jacinius replies,

"Nice to know that I'm not the only lunatic around here. No walking into a dark alley by myself tonight, it looks like! I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours, sweetheart." He places a palm on the eidolon's head, which is enough to render it docile near these new people.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 06:57 PM
As the three have a conversation, you cannot help but notice those around you. The docks of Almas are generally genial enough to the traveler, well patrolled and lit, but they are still docks, and therefore home to sailors, some of whom live far rougher lives than others. The Crooked Shore seems to be an establishment that caters to those types. Should you bother to inquire, you would find that it has been owned by the same man, who goes only by the name of Jer, sometimes called the Fist, but mostly that was in hushed conversation. It was well known as a place where one could acquire any manner of services, and it opened just after sunset, and closed just after dawn. There were rooms for rent, but they were not known to be the type of rooms one rented to keep one's possessions safe, rather for limited spaces of time. And as you wait outside, you notice that the city guard seems to avoid the place, not particularly looking at it even on their patrols. Still, it is the place your contact asked you to meet him.

Dusk has fallen, and there is a light from within. Slowly, sailors and others of less than seeming repute trickle in. Most ignore the gathering, though some look warily before furtively sneaking inside. Deckhands, brigands, and others. You stand out, if only because each of you possess what the other "guests" seem to lack. Money.

You are free to enter now, or you can wait for your companions.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 07:29 PM
Teya crossed her arms and regarded the masked man for a moment. "It's Teya, not 'sweetheart'." She glanced around as the area started to get more active, noticing the looks that some of the passerby were giving them. They didn't seem like the sort that would be too difficult to handle if things turned bad, but getting stuck in the middle of a brawl wasn't something she wanted at the moment.

"Let's take this conversation inside, shall we? If our mutual acquaintance is going to keep us waiting, we might as well be comfortable while we wait."

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 07:37 PM
"Agreed"

Dardail turned to the masked man "I am Dardail, also here due to letters and dreams. If the two of you will accept it, I would be honored to buy you something to drink inside"

Good work Dardail he thought to himself. First impressions are important when getting aquainted. Besides, the creature seems to follow his lead. Its probably nothing to worry overmuch about

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 07:54 PM
Jacinius holds his hands up defensively. "Okay, no to the 'sweetheart'. My apologies, boundaries are now defined. As for myself, I'm Jacinius."

At Dardail's offer, he responds, "Well, I certainly won't say no to a free drink after all the walking I've been doing. After you, my devil-spawned friend." His tone contains no intent to offend.

As Jacinius takes a step forward, he realizes that bringing his eidolon inside will only cause mass chaos and panic. No, no, that will never do. Reluctantly, he strokes a hand over its bony skull and says, "Sorry, fella. No fun for you tonight. But don't worry, I'm sure that by the end of this little deal, someone is going to want us dead. And then you'll have your playtime." With a wave of his other hand, the eidolon is blown away by a sudden gust of wind as it turns to ash and cinders. Beckoning a hand to the door, Jacinius says, "Shall we?"

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 08:02 PM
Teya grinned and shrugged. "Apology accepted. Sorry for snapping like that, just a force of habit. People who call me 'sweetheart' usually end up being the type that think I'm an easy target."

As they headed inside, she turned to Jacinius, noticing that his companion had been dismissed. "So, what exactly was that... thing that was with you? It looks like something straight out of Hell or the Abyss."

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 08:03 PM
With a smile Dardail leads the others inside, silently relieved that the beast was sent away.
"If the two of you can find us a table, I will go and get some drinks." He says, and then walks up to the bar.

At the bar Dardail adresses the barkeep "I would like two mugs of your finest ale, a jug of your best wine, and three cups for the wine, please."

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 08:20 PM
There are a variety of options for tables. A small fire burns in the hearth in one corner, around which the majority of seats are taken my the self-same malcontents you saw entering earlier. They are quiet, but you can tell already well into their drink. Shadows lie heavy in the tavern, the fire providing poor illumination, and on the other side of the establishment, many of the tables are hidden in shadow, their occupants few and far between, mostly ones and twos. Their faces are harder to make out, particularly in the dimness, though most of them look of the same type as the men you saw earlier. Of particular interest may be a man sitting alone in the corner. He is not hard built like the others, rather slim, with an aura of propriety about him, and his posture bespeaks discomfort at being in such a place as this. Of even greater interest to some of you may be the tavern wenches, of which there are a surprising number and variety, all dressed provocatively, and constantly circling the tables.

There are tables on both sides, the choice of light or shadows is yours.

At the bar Dardail waits for longer than he should. The barkeep, who if he is Jer, Darail can see no reason for his nickname, walks by him three and four times tending to customers with other needs. It soon becomes clear that he is ignoring the tiefling. Even after the question the bartender merely looks at him once, huffs, and moves on.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 08:28 PM
"If that is how you treat others, perhaps you should consider another profession" Dardail says.
He then fishes out two gold coins and taps them against the bar "Now, I know you heard what I ordered, and I am sure you understand this language, eh?" Dardail taps the coins a few more times, then looks at the barkeep with a level gaze, never faltering.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 08:38 PM
Teya made a few passes through the tavern, trying with little success to locate a table that had enough open seats for them all and wasn't occupied by leery-eyed drunks. The uncomfortable-looking man in the corner caught her eye a couple times, but she didn't want to impose upon the guy.

The sight of the tavern wenches made her look down at her own garb. It was nowhere near as provocative as what the barmaids wore, but it still hugged her curves and showed a bit of skin here and there. The more plastered of the patrons seemed to mistake her for one of the wenches as she walked by, though they didn't seem to act up when she ignored them.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 08:50 PM
The bartender's eyes widen for a moment before he regains his composure. And like someone threw a switch, his demeanor changes. A quick hand motion across the bar and the coins disappear, and the mugs of ale and wine are quickly procured from behind the bar, as well as the requested three glasses, which were really more mugs. The man looks at the mugs for a moment, as if contemplating their existence, then shrugs. Its not like he has anything else. At least they're clean.

The man behind the counter bows curtly, and thanks you gruffly for your service. He promises that some of the girls will be along to check on you shortly as well.

Teya's search reveals that while tables for three are lacking, there is one in the corner that is unoccupied with seats for six. Unfortunately, its away from the fire, but sometimes sacrifices must be made. Of course, there are tables for three near the fire, but all of them are occupied. But those guys don't look so tough... right?

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 08:58 PM
As he and Teya maneuver their way through the tables, Jack says, "My dear, I would never mistake you for an easy mark. Not like some of the sweet tarts at this establishment here... sweet and fluffy, but ultimately no substance and hardly satisfying." Still, his eyes do linger on some of the more attractive waitresses.

"As for my companion... I can tell you with absolute certainty that he is neither devil nor demon. There's no way I would align myself with some Abyss-spawn." His mouth twitches a little and his eyes become slightly wild at the suggestion. "There was also no bargain involved, no Faustian pact. I called out one day, and he was there. He just is, and considering all the crap that I've had to put up with the last few months, I think I'm entitled to a break."

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 09:07 PM
"Alright, alright! Sheesh, I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything like that... Can you blame me for thinking that after just one look at the thing, though?"

She scowled a little when it became apparent that the only options were a seat far from the fire or a crowded table. To be safe and away from the fire, or warm and bruised? After a few seconds of thought she headed to one of the tables near the hearth and tapped one of the men on the shoulder. "Excuse me, boys, but would you be willing to trade seats with me and my companions? We've been on the road for a while and were hoping for a comfortable place to settle down."

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 09:08 PM
Dardail nods to the barkeep while scooping up the wine, ale and glasses, then turns and walks towards the others.

"I wasn't sure what you would prefer, so I got you both a mug of ale, and some wine we can all share" He says a bit apologetically.

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 09:17 PM
Anathal

Anathal takes the note and checks his purse. He then reads the note. What power drew me here and by what magic?

He buys food from street vendors and makes his way to the Crooked Shore and finds a place nearby to wait and see if anything odd happens before evening. Clearly not going is not an option.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 09:22 PM
Anthal waits a moment before entering the Crooked Shore. Despite his keen eyes, nothing presents itself or tries to stab him. Clearly, the fun is inside, which becomes patently obvious when he enters, just in time to see...

As Dardail turns, it becomes obvious what's about to happen. The man that Teya taps stands up, looks at her, then laughs heavily. The smell of booze is heavy on his breath. He is a monster of a man, his hand clearly seasoned by hard labor. His friends are no less, though both of them remain seated even as they join in his laughter. Which was also when Dardail would notice another Tiefling enter the Shore. Teya and Jack stand near the tables, Dardail at the bar, though he has obviously identified himself as with the other two, and Anathal just inside the doors, surveying the tenuous scene. Clearly, the man has decided that he will not be giving up his table. At least not willingly.

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 09:28 PM
Jacinius can see what's coming next from a mile away. Trying to butt in, he says, "Hey, hey, now, we can be reasonable about this. We want to sit near the fire, and you want more booze, right? What say I make it worth your while by buying you an ale or something?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 09:28 PM
Teya grinned and put her hands on her hips. "Alright, then, how about this: You and me, out front. Loser moves to the corner table." Without waiting for the man's response she begins removing her silvered gauntlets. "Unless you don't think you can take me..." She handed her gauntlets off to Jack and cracks her knuckles, clearly not intending to back down.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 09:34 PM
Sparing a quick suprised glance for the other tiefling, Dardail hurries over to Teyas side with the drinks, and looks at the standing sailor with a worried frown. Surely the girl can see that this is unnecessary?

"Peace, Teya. We came here for a quiet meeting, and these men are clearly in the middle of their own affairs. there is no need to let this develop further"

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 09:34 PM
Anathal

Anathal grins at the scene. A fight is generally entertaining one way or the other. His eyes then lock onto Dardail. Holy ****, it is almost like looking into a mirror.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 09:39 PM
Despite worrying about the looming fight, Dardail can't help but glance at the other tiefling again. By the light, what is this? He thinks I thought tieflings always looked different from one another.
Stunned by the similarities between himself and his apparent double, Dardail almost drops the drinks he is holding, only just recovering.
This whole affair keeps getting more odd....

Snapping his attention back to the situation at hand, Dardail step over to another occupied table, and sets the drinks down."Here, have these on me" He says to the tables occupants, then walks over beside Teya once more.
However this turns out, the girl will not find herself without support.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 09:57 PM
She turned to address Dardail. "It was either take one of the seats over in the dark side of the tavern or find a better spot. Besides, I did ask nicely to begin with, he's the one who started getting aggressive."

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 10:01 PM
Dardail looks at Teya through furrowed brows. "Perhaps" He answers "But this would be a meaningless fight. no one would gain anything from it except hurt. And I am beginning to suspect that we will find more than enough fighting on the road ahead already" He sighs heavily "But, I will stand by you if this turns into a fight. I just don't see it as the wisest course of action"

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 10:02 PM
The man's face contorts to an ugly snarl, and it seems as though whatever effect Jacinius' words may have had disappeared in the drunken anger of being challenged by someone the man clearly saw as inferior. He cracks his knuckles, and a vicious smile appears. "I'm gonna beat you unconscious, and you're gonna save me some coin on whores tonight." he threatens with a leer. It appears that a fight is unavoidable when...

The door to the kitchen slams open. If the man that Teya was planning to fight was a monster, this one was as unassuming as her would-be opponent was large. Yet immediately the drunken man has a look of fear across his face. "Jer, I din't-" he starts before the newcomer from the kitchen cuts him off. "Abel, I told you if you started another fight in here what would happen. You gonna leave quietly, or am I gonna have to ask you?" The larger man, Abel, stumbles over himself to get out, pushing past Anathal as he runs out the doors. His friends glumly follow him out, clearly deciding that a lifetime ban from the Shore was hardly worth one fight. Jer nods at the group, and just as fast, was gone back into the kitchen. Clearly the man ran a tight ship, so to speak. Even more clearly, Jer the Fist was more than he seemed, for the middle aged man, while lean, should have presented little challenge to the much larger Abel.

And now you have a table, should you want it.

Maquise
2014-10-30, 10:02 PM
It is at this point that Valus, having tavern-hopped for most of the day before ending up, quite by accident, where he was supposed to be, takes notice of the brewing altercation.

Two fiend-born, a mage with creature in tow, and a... very interesting looking woman. Valus steps forward, shouldering his way through the crowd to get a better vantage point. The fiery-haired giant draws a lot of attention stepping out from the shadows.

As the altercation is dispersed, Valus plants himself right next to Teya. "You look the sort that could use a warrior's drink."

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 10:06 PM
The bar goes quiet, even the serving wenches stop to stare at the fire headed giant. It appeared the Shore was not going to be a silent place tonight. So early, and already one almost-fight. Yet before you can even sit, the uncomfortable man in the corner beckons you over. His face is still shrouded in darkness, but he loooks at each of you in turn and motions to a seat at his table. There are five empty seats. A hood obscures his features as much as the shadows. Perhaps an admirer? Perhaps your contact?

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 10:09 PM
Glancing at the man in the corner, Dardail turns to his companions "It would seem the sender of our letters have found us." He then promptly steps over to the corner table and sits down.

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 10:14 PM
Jacinius's head is still spinning from the events of the past minute when Dardail takes a seat near the mysterious figure. Throwing up his hands in disgust, Jacinius grabs one of the drinks that the tiefling had brought over and sits down at the table. He sarcastically asks,

"Did you enjoy that little spectacle, sirrah?"

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 10:15 PM
Teya's smile disappeared at the man's remark, and very narrowly resisted the urge to knock his ale-stained teeth into the back of his mouth. "You will, will you? Let's see about-" She was cut off by the abrupt exchange between Abel and the man, Jer, from the kitchen. To her surprise, Abel left without incident after that, followed by his friends.

She was about to comment that they at least had their table now when she saw the man in the corner gesture for them to join him. "So it seems. Let's see what brought us all this way, then."

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 10:17 PM
"Hardly. Were it up to me, I would never have set foot in this swill of a place. But it is not for me to question, only to obey." The man's, and it clearly is a man's, voice is cultured, refined, and while he is clearly from Andoran, his diction places him as far from any other in the Crooked Shore as one could get without being royalty. His response to Jacinius betrays little more than what you can see from him already. He is a man of standing, and clearly dislikes this place.

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 10:17 PM
Anathal

Letters? That had never occurred to him. Anathal sits across from his mirror image. "And I was hoping for a show, but I suspect this will be more interesting."

Maquise
2014-10-30, 10:19 PM
Valus notes the man in the corner, and the figures that have drawn so much attention.

"You serve the lidded eye?" He asks the man in the corner, before sitting down at the table.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 10:21 PM
"Perhaps introductions would be in order, first of all. I, for one, would like to know who has gone so far as to invade our dreams to get us here" Dardail says.

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 10:28 PM
Anathal

Anathal whispers a little to loud into Teya's ear. "Who is the lidded eye?"

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 10:30 PM
Teya glances over at the tiefling, pausing to stare for a moment when she saw an almost disturbing similarity in him to Dardail. "No idea, but if you all got the same letters I did I'm guessing its whoever brought us here..." She pulled out the letter she'd received earlier that day; the seal had been a little deformed by being opened and by being stuffed into her pocket, but the half-open eye was still mostly visible in the wax.

Leaving the letter on the table, she grabbed the mug that Dardail had brought for her and took a long swig from it, giving him an appreciative nod afterward.

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 10:33 PM
"All right, then. If you don't want to be here, let's cut the mystery bullcrap and talk about why your boss gets a kick out of giving me headache-inducing nightmares." Jacinius takes a sip of his drink before nodding appreciatively. He lifts up his glass in thanks to Dardail.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 10:39 PM
Dardail nods back to each of them in turn with a smile, then wordlessly returns to observing the hooded man.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 10:48 PM
"I assure you, my employer takes no pleasure from the pain the visions caused you. It was simply a means to ensure that you would come here, meet with me, and hear his offer. Allow me to assure you that if you wish, you may leave this place today free of the dreams and not in any way attached to my employer. He does not wish the unwilling. However, I suspect that by the end, you will agree to serve him, at least for a time." The man pulls back his hood. His face is, in a word, angelic. His skin is as pure white as the driven snow, and while his countenance and features proclaimed him human, the fractured light in his eyes gave lie to it. As much as Anathal or Dardail's heritage was daemonic, this man's heritage was from the other spectrum. "My name is Jeev. I serve the one you call the Lidded Eye, who I call master. He bids you welcome to Almas, and has a task for you, if you choose to accept it."

Jeev holds up a hand quickly to stop any interruptions. "No. Before you ask, I will not reveal his name. He values his secrecy greatly, and those untested will never get beyond me. Should you prove yourself, one day he may choose to reveal himself to you. Whether that day comes or not, I assure you that my master is a very powerful and very connected man. He is more than capable of assisting you in any endeavor you might undertake." Jeev stares pointedly at Teya and Jacinius, and it is hard to forget that this man's employer has been in your head for months. Jeev sits back in the chair, then, remembering where he is, sits straight up again so as little of him is touching any surface in the place as possible, and opens his hands in a magnanimous gesture. "I'm sure you have questions and need assurances. I will tell you what I can on that front."

Maquise
2014-10-30, 10:52 PM
"What is the nature of this... employment he offers us?" Valus asks.

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 10:59 PM
Anathal

Anathal leans back and relaxes in his seat. "I don't call anyone the hooded eye and I really need no assurances. You have been apparently ****ing with all of us for some months so while that seems rather callous, it seems a great and pointless effort to just kill us. And it it was not an effort well then we are a good as dead if he seeks that."

He gestures at Valus. "What he said. What do you want of us?"

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 11:05 PM
"I'd also like to know just what it is your master needs so badly that he'd compel people to come here like he did to us." She laced her fingers together and set her elbows on the table, her chin resting on her hands. "I better have traipsed all the way out here and left behind what few leads I had for a good reason, not just to satisfy the whims of some guy who can't be bothered to meet me face-to-face."

Smileybastard
2014-10-30, 11:06 PM
Anathal

He looks at the perfect looking creature before him looking for any clues about him.

PERCEPTION [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 11:08 PM
Dardail glances at the other tiefling, a bit disconcerted by the behaviour of the other.to hear such language from someone that looks so much like me..... Disturbing. He then turns once more to the stranger, looking beyond the person, and into the Mans very being.

detect evil

Toxic Mind
2014-10-30, 11:29 PM
"The employment and why my employer, powerful though he is, needs you, are one in the same. Once, my employer was an adventurer, like yourselves. Over time, he gained power and prestige, and eventually retired from that life. He has a great many enemies, some from that time, and even more from his current activities. To reveal himself so openly would put him in grave danger, and so much of the legwork he would prefer done himself is done through skilled intermediaries... such as yourselves." Jeev steeples his fingers. "I will not lie to you. There are some who would take your employment as an excuse to do you harm, but I assure you those people would have harmed you none the less, whatever they might say." Jeev produces a piece of parchment, upon which is drawn a map. Almas is clearly marked, as is something else that looks faintly like some sort of building, about 3 days outside the city. "My employer has found some ruins of an ancient civilization. He sent a team of archaeologists and chroniclers to explore them and document what they found. That was 2 months ago. When they did not return, he sent some mercenaries, who did not return either. And so he resorts to you. Find the team, being back their findings, and any artifacts within the ruins. Of particular interest to my employer is an urn, which the last missive from the dig team claimed was sealed by ancient magics. My employer wishes this urn returned to him, Any other artifacts are yours to keep should you find them useful, otherwise my employer will buy them from you for a fair price."

Jeev's aura is not evil.

Diachronos
2014-10-30, 11:39 PM
Teya frowned a little, though the expression was hidden by her hands. She couldn't help feeling that they weren't being given the whole story... "There's one thing I'm wondering... Did the archaeologist team say anything that would hint at what the urn's significance was, or anything that might give some insight as to what happened to them?"

Sense Motive to see if he's lying or hiding anything with what he's told us so far: [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-10-30, 11:43 PM
Content for now with what he sees, Dardail leans back and ponders the request.

"hmm, if nothing else, this ruin seems like something worth looking into. If something in there has harmes the others you sent in, it must be dealt with before it has a chance to do more harm. I accept your request"

Maquise
2014-10-30, 11:44 PM
"And what of these mercenaries? How many were there, and how were they outfitted? It makes little sense to send us if we are not more potent," Valus says.

Smileybastard
2014-10-31, 05:20 AM
Anathal

Anathal listens to the request and the questions and awaits answers. So little is known so fa other than two teams have died. A sharp glance is sent Dardail's way
"Well people were sent to invade a building and they died. More we sent and they died. Maybe something was simply protecting itself. Sounds lovely."

Toxic Mind
2014-10-31, 11:42 AM
"As far as my employer has informed me, the team was unable to open the urn, and thought it better left sealed behind the wards protecting it. The mercenaries were obviously under equipped, though we initially thought the group had become lost, clearly something more sinister is at play. Perhaps the city guard might have more information about threats in the area. I leave the preparation to you."

Jeev is not lying.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 12:03 PM
"hm, very well. I shall go to the guardhouse immediately then. There is no time to waste in this endeavor"
Dardail rises, and makes ready to leave.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-31, 12:34 PM
The Shore is quiet. Too quiet. Before the low sounds of drunken people and giggling serving maids provided a backdrop. Now they are gone, and in fact you notice a marked decrease in the number of patrons.

"Of course." Says Jeev. "I will be sure to contact you with final details regarding payment and such."

Prehysterical
2014-10-31, 12:41 PM
[roll0]

As Jeev explains the nature of their "patron" and the mission, Jacinius tries to gauge the aasimar's words. He is unable to determine how much of what the man is saying is truth, but the whole thing make him uneasy. Why would someone with power enough to reach into our minds from afar need a handful of puppets to do his work? Something tells me that this urn is unhealthy to be around. Still... If this guy can help me find my sister, it's worth the risk.

After Dardail leaves to question the city guard, Jacinius stands up and says, "Well, then, if that's the case, I think I'll pop by the University District and see if I can't do a little research on this. Just so we don't spend tomorrow morning chasing each other's tails, how about we meet by the front gate at dawn?" Turning to the door, he says over his shoulder, "Oh, and Jeev? If you or your boss try to screw me on this deal, there won't be a hole deep or dark enough in Golarion to keep me from finding you." With that being said, Jacinius heads out the door and makes his way down to the library housed at the university.

Maquise
2014-10-31, 12:58 PM
Valus looks around, his instincts putting him on edge.

"Something is out of place," he says.

Perception: [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 12:59 PM
Taking note of the changed atmosphere in the tavern, Dardail keeps his eyes and ears peeled once out on the street, ready for anything while walking up the street away from the harbor.

perception Roll to see if Any malcontents are lurking, or following him
[roll0]

Diachronos
2014-10-31, 07:01 PM
The sudden lack of noise from the rest of the tavern set Teya's nerves on edge. Something was wrong; what kind of dock tavern went silent this early in the evening. "Sounds like a plan, I'll meet you there tomorrow." She stood and headed toward the door, though she stopped and glanced toward the kitchen door about halfway to the exit. After a moment she headed to the door and knocked.

Smileybastard
2014-10-31, 07:02 PM
Anathal

Anathal rises with Dardail. "Where the valorous goes, the shadow follows."

Perception [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 07:23 PM
As he walks through the city with the other tiefling, Dardail stops the first guard patrol he sees, asking for directions to the guardhouse, and then moving on.
Walking side by side with his companion, Dardail becomes aware of the somewhat akward silence, and tries to strike up conversation.
"I believe we were never introduced. My name is Dardail. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, sir....?"
He trails of, waiting for the other tiefling to introduce himself.

Smileybastard
2014-10-31, 07:31 PM
Anathal

"I am no sir, no person of stature, merely one who has survived and intends to continue to do that same.

My name is Anathal Mykran.

Toxic Mind
2014-10-31, 07:33 PM
As you scan the docks, the night presses around you. The dock is well-lit, yet that seems hardly enough to dispel the shadows all around, and you can feel someone's eyes upon you, with the sixth sense that only survival under hostile circumstances can give you. Yet even as you look around, you see nothing and no one besides Anathal, who has just exited the Shore. There is no malicious intent in the watching, at least none that you can tell, and your years as a paladin have served you well enough in that, but the watching is there.

You exit the Shore to find Dardail looking around at seeming nothing, but neither feel nor see anything off yourself. The street is dark, and the waves lap at moorings nearby, but there is nothing sinister here.

Jeev nods at the implied threat, but you get the clear sense that he is remarkably unworried by the proposition. By the time you leave, the two Anathal and Dardail are gone, and you make your way to the University District. The library is open, though the clerk seems suprised that anyone would visit at such an hour. Still, the half-elf woman is happy enough to lead you to the section you search for. [OOC: Which Is?]

Valus remains at the table with Jeev, as Teya knocks on the door. If there was a bartender, he might have yelled at her, but somehow he seems to have vanished. After a moment, Jer answers. "Cor, woman, what do you want?" his brusque attitude seems perfectly suited for the man, though odd given the sudden lack of bodies in his establishment. At the table, Jeev seems now to be even more uncomfortable than before. [OOC: Roll Will Save Please]

Happy Halloween!

Toxic Mind
2014-10-31, 07:36 PM
With the directions of the guard, who seems quizzical as to why Tieflings would want to visit the guardhouse, but gives his aid nonetheless. You reach the guardhouse quickly enough, which lies just outside the University district. AS you enter, a clerk raises her head. "What can I help you with... sirs?" She seems unsure of the proper title.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 07:43 PM
"Ah, Milady, We have heard of some recently discovered ruins where more than one group of people have disappeared. As a Warrior of the faith, I intend to investigate this, and see if I can ensure that no more innocents are harmed by whatever haunts the ruins. We were adviced to seek out the city guard to see if you had any information about the ruins, or any other threats in the area that we will be better of knowing about." Dardail says with a polite nod

And yes, Happy halloween to you all :smallbiggrin:

Diachronos
2014-10-31, 07:56 PM
Teya had her hands on her hips as Jer answered the door, though she her posture indicated that she had no intentions of trying to start anything. "I just wanted to clear something up with you before I left. I was the one picking the fight, not Abel. I'm not trying to defend him for whatever he might've done in the past, and if I run into him outside I'm likely going to end up knocking out whatever teeth he's got left, but I'm also not going to let him take the heat for something he didn't do."

I have a good feeling about this! [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-10-31, 08:19 PM
The woman thinks for a moment, then says. "I haven't heard of any ruins being discovered, but" she rummages around beneath the desk for a moment, then pulls out a poster. "there have been report of goblin activity a few days outside the city. There's a bounty out for the head of their leader, a hobgoblin named Grishnak the Cleaver. Just the head, mind you." She finishes cordially.

Jer nods for a moment, then says just as curtly. "I get why you're doing this, but I've been looking for an excuse to knock some sense into that fool for years. Your breath is wasted defending him. If he didn't do anything tonight, he's sure enough done it on others." Teya feels a growing discomfort in her gut, the kind you feel when you know something is waiting just beyond your sight, and it means you harm. Your hair stands on end, and the shadows in the room seem to press in, menacing. Whatever it is that is causing this, Jer seems to not notice, as his demeanour or posture changes not a whit.

Smileybastard
2014-10-31, 08:27 PM
Anathal

Anathal smirks.

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 08:33 PM
"I see. That is indeed something to be wary of. Perhaps we will have the chance to deal with this menace on our way to the ruins" Dardail says, thoughtfully scratching his chin. "And if not, I will certainly try after the task at the ruins is done. Thank you for aid Milady. May the light guide your path"
Turning to the door, Dardail glances at Anathal. "I think I shall return to the inn I am staying at. We can give the information to the others when we meet tomorrow. If you wish, I would be pleased to have you join me, as I would like to talk with you"

Smileybastard
2014-10-31, 09:16 PM
Anathal

"I am but your shadow, how can I choose not to follow? I would be happy to talk to you, but people might think you are talking to yourself."

gremlin-pult
2014-10-31, 09:44 PM
"HA, well if nothing else, that usually ensures a good conversation" Dardail says as they leave the guardhouse. His face then draws down into a frown, as the rest of what Anathal said sinks in. "My shadow? you are a living and breathing person, and should think of yourself as such. Why belittle yourself by becoming someone elses shadow? We may be similar, but if that truly signifies a bond between us, I would much rather have it be one of brothers in arms. Equals" He smiles warmly at Anathal, hoping the other understands his reasoning

Prehysterical
2014-10-31, 09:59 PM
Jacinius smiles in appreciation at the half-elf's willingness to help. "Thank you, my dear. You are a lady and a scholar. I know that the hour is late, but I was approached with a job offer and want to perform a little research before heading out. Could you please direct me to the section containing the geography and history of the area within one hundred miles of the city?"

Knowledge (Geography): [roll0]
Knowledge (History): [roll1]

Happy Halloween.

Maquise
2014-10-31, 11:02 PM
Valus rises from the table, and goes to Teya.

"Don't worry, I've got your back," he says.

Diachronos
2014-10-31, 11:18 PM
Teya couldn't suppress a chill going through her when she felt the oppressiveness of the room around her. Something definitely wasn't right, but she couldn't place just what it was. And Jer didn't seem to notice at all... was she just imagining things?

"Well, in any case I just wanted to clear things up. Thanks for your time." She grinned at him before heading out, glancing over at Valus on the way. "I hope you know how to use that thing..." She nodded to the large man's greatsword. "...Because I think we might be needing it."

Perception on the way out of the Shore: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 09:53 AM
Anathal

"I don't belittle myself, but I sense the light in you and there is dark in me and we seem to look so much the same. As for brother's in arms, of course, when you strike so do I until something should change that. I think we will compliment each other well if you will allow it.

What gods do you follow?"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-01, 12:49 PM
"I grew up in a temple devoted to Erastil, and was later trained in a monastery devoted to Iomedae. They both hold a special significance to me. But, I did not feel it was right for me to devoted myself completely to eithers doctrine. I decided that I would devote myself to the concept of the gods of light, instead of a single one. So I revere and respect Them all equally." Dardail answers, gazing upwards with a respectful expression."Perhaps I will one day find a cause I Can devote myself more wholly to. Until then, I will simply when I can, and where I can"

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 12:57 PM
Anathal

"I see. I was right about the light it seems."

Maquise
2014-11-01, 12:59 PM
Valus smirks at Teva. "Don't worry, I am quite capable of taking care of anyone that wants a piece of my greatsword, if you know what I mean."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-01, 03:56 PM
As you leave, the feeling of dread that hovers about Teya's mind lessens somewhat. The farther you get from the Shore, the easier it is to think, to breathe. Jeev nods as you leave. As Teya leaves, she notices something moving in the shadows out of the corner of her eye. Whipping around, she sees nothing there. Perhaps a trick of the light? Or her mind playing tricks on her? Either way, even if she investigates the spot personally, there are no clues of anything there. The night grows short, and the meeting at the gates at dawn awaits.

The half-elf nods and brings you to the sections you requested in turn, one after the other. Despite searching, you find little about the history and geography that seems of interest, and nothing about any ruins. The standard map and history of Andoran and its relations with is neighbors was there, of course, and of particular mention was its storied history with Cheliax. Still, the night grows short now, and the meeting at the gates awaits.

The Next Morning

Whether rested or not, you arrive at the gates to the city in the morning. Your nights took varied paths, but no matter the outcome, you seem to have all survived none the worse for wear. There to meet you is none other than the Aasimar Jeev. He greets you all with a stiff cordiality. "I thank you all for coming." He hands one of you a bag. "Within is a map that will lead you to the dig site that the archaeologists discovered. It is three days walk through the wilderness to the North. If luck holds, the enemies of my employer do not yet know of your involvement, and your journey will go smoothly. There is also some added insurance. A gemstone, enchanted with a locator spell that will allow my employer to find you should something unfortunate happen. Please keep it on your person. It serves as a focus, and can channel my employer's magic in combat." Gem of Blood: A fist sized diamond of incredible clarity, the Gem of Blood allows the wielder to spend an action to afflict a foe with: 1/day Touch of Bloodletting. Lasts 4 rounds. "Good luck." With that, Jeev is gone, leaving you alone, prepared to set out on your journey.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-01, 06:47 PM
Heartened by seeing that all the people that were assembled had decided to be a part of the task, Dardail adresses them all.
"Anathal and I visited the guardhouse last night, and I have some information to share with you all. Regrettably, they had no knowledge about the ruins themselves, but we were told that the lands surrounding Almas have been plagued by goblin activity of late. So we should be wary as we travel."
After a moments pause, Dardail adds offhandedly "And for those interested in such pursuits, there is a reward promised to the one who brings in the head of the goblin leader.... A hobgoblin named Grishnak the cleaver or some such."

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 06:51 PM
Anathal

Anathal grins. "Separating a hobgoblin's head from his shoulders sounds interesting. I am game if we come across their whereabouts."

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 06:54 PM
Anathal

Anathal accepts the bag with the gem and nods. "Seems a nice toy that could be helpful."

Prehysterical
2014-11-01, 07:29 PM
Despite staying up until the wee hours of the morning, Jacinius is unable to make any headway in finding out more. A few hours before dawn, Jacinius stops by the marketplace and buys about ten days worth of supplies. Burdened with the new supplies, Jacinius falls asleep near the gate and only awakens when one of the other party members wakes him up.

His hair tussled, Jacinius is obviously in a foul mood. "Last night was like spitting into the ocean: didn't do any good. Guess we'll have to learn as we go along. And to be honest, let's get this ruin thing done and over with. If we have any leftover energy afterwards, fine, we can go hobgob hunting. But let's not lose sight of what we're here for."

10 gp for the supplies. Jacinius now has a medium load.

Diachronos
2014-11-01, 08:03 PM
Teya scowled as she headed to one of the inns near the gate. The feeling of dread was lessening the farther she got from the Shore, but she still felt uneasy, as if they were being watched. Nothing assailed them, though, and she made it to the inn with Valus unharmed.

When morning came, she met up with the others at the gate, stifling a yawn. She watched with minor interest as the bag was handed off to Anathal before turning to Jeev. "Is your employer just looking for the urn, or is he also looking for information on what happened to the last two groups?"

Toxic Mind
2014-11-01, 08:13 PM
"Primarily the Urn, returned to him. However, any information about the findings and fates of the archaeologists and the mercenaries would be suitably rewarded."

Maquise
2014-11-01, 08:31 PM
"Goblins. Pfft," Valus says, dismissing them. "I think our group can deal with a rabble of goblins. And take this hobgoblin's head for the reward."

As they leave, Valus says to his companions, "I wonder if these mercenaries are still alive. I would be quite interested to their response to being rescued by the likes of us!"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-01, 08:49 PM
Eyeing the large red haired man, Dardail shakes his head with a rueful expression.

"I would think that if they were attacked and survived, they would be grateful no matter who aids them."
His face pulls up in a smile that does not reach his eyes. "Then again, Being aided by one such as I is sometimes considered worse than dying." He says with a hint of sadness.
He then seems to shake of the melancholy, straightening in the saddle and looking towards the horizon, his eyes never straying towards his companions.

Prehysterical
2014-11-01, 08:55 PM
Jacinius's tired state leaves him somewhat impatient and unkind at the moment. He glances at Dardail and says,

"We're going to be traveling together for a while, so let's make a deal, okay? You cut the self-pity and I don't lecture anybody on their life choices. Whaddaya think?"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-01, 09:04 PM
Turning to stare at Jacinius, Dardail expression hardens. His yellow, pupil-less eyes flicker as if a flame was lit behind them, but a splitsecond later, He lets out a sigh and smiles.
"Of course, you are right. My apologies" He says, giving Jacinius a nod, before once more turning to observe the road.

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 09:08 PM
Anathal

"Nah, not worse than death. They just won't be happy about it or appreciate us, but not everyone is that way."

Diachronos
2014-11-01, 09:19 PM
"They're being saved by a woman too, don't forget." She grinned and clapped her hands together, a metallic clink coming off her gauntlets as the silver plates struck one another.

"If everybody's ready, we should probably head out. We've got 3 days of walking ahead of us, we might as well cover as much ground as we can before nightfall."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-01, 09:22 PM
Jeev eyes the group with just the faintest hint of distaste, as if the conversation alone makes him uncomfortable. "If we are done, I have business to attend to."

Smileybastard
2014-11-01, 09:44 PM
Anathal

"Let's go. Women and demons and the rest."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-02, 09:02 PM
"Indeed. Let us not tarry." Dardail answers, and motions his horse into a slow trot out the gate.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-03, 12:49 PM
The first day is uneventful. The roads a day outside of Almas are well patrolled, and traveled often. You see many other travelers along the way, some pilgrims, some merchants. Those coming from the west speak of border skirmishes with Chellaxian troops, of nighttime raids on villages. Those from the east speak of strange storms that appear and disappear from nowhere, and of children vanishing into the night, never to be seen again. And those from the North do not come at all, at least none that you speak to. Still, despite these dire portents, the journey is relaxing, an easy break from the rough life that many of you lead. You make camp, and set up a watch rotation, but even that is little more than formality here. The way-station that you stay at is stationed with guards, and the watch is more to prevent pickpockets than anything truly sinister.

The second day is different. You must leave the road to journey north. There are travelers few and far between here, and those that you do see speak of bandits in the woods, waylaying people. Still, once again, it seems you would get through the day without event, until just before nightfall, you reach a small copse of trees. Hardly a forest, as the other travelers described it, but perhaps their other warnings are correct. For what should stroll out of the trees as you approach them, but a group of well-armed malcontents, lead by a woman who seems seasoned to war. She was gorgeous once, you can tell, but something in her past changed her. Her face is dominated by a scar that travels through her left eye and down her cheek, though the eye appears to be working. Her companions, if they can be called such, are all brutish men, wielding worn swords and axes. There are 7 men, 5 appear to be common thugs, though two wear chain-mail and carry halberds like they know how to use them. The woman wears some kind of hide, and carries a long-sword in one hand. The sword is black. "Greetings travelers." She calls. "Might you be headed to the North?" For now, they do not menace, simply watch.

Diachronos
2014-11-03, 07:14 PM
Teya made small talk with the others as they traveled, though she kept her primary goal a secret. Most of her stories were relating to her childhood memories of her family and sparring matches with her brother. A somewhat distant look appeared in her eye when she brought up her parents, but she shook her head and waved it off as reminiscing whenever someone appeared curious about the look.

When the supposed bandits came upon them on the night of the second day, she crossed her arms and regarded the group. Eight against four, five if Jacinius' "companion" were included, seemed like an unbalanced fight, but the majority of the "bandits" appeared to be rather poorly equipped, so things may even out. The halberd-wielding pair would likely be the most challenging because of the greater range their weapons offered, but she eyed the scarred woman as well; her equipment didn't appear to be that well-made, but there had to be something about her that allowed her to hold a leadership position over seven men.

"That's our current direction, but depending on how things turn out we may head in another direction before too long."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-03, 08:20 PM
The woman nods understandingly. "Of course, of course. The woods are very dangerous this time of year friends, and this season most especially. The goblins have organized, and started roaming." Throughout her speech, there is a strange smile on her face. "Now, it would be remiss of me to allow you to go any further, as you could be harmed."

Maquise
2014-11-04, 12:11 AM
Valus can feel his blood starting to run hot. These fools dare challenge the Reaver? his thoughts whisper in his head, but he suppresses them for now. He will let his companions do the talking; if these thugs can be persuaded to leave peacefully, then so be it. If not, his blade will soon run red with the blood of his enemies.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-04, 10:51 AM
"come now milady, surely you can see that we are more than capable of taking care of ourselves" Dardail says with a smile.
"With the skills of my companions, and the blessing of the light, we will stand strong and triumph over any adversary"
There is no threat in his voice, but it is clear that Dardail considers the motley group no threat whatsoever.

"We will of course heed your warning, and your will all be in our prayers for your kindness, but we will nonetheless continue on our way. such is our path, as decreed by the light" Dardail, still smiling, climbs of his horse while talking, still appearing completely calm and non-threatening.

"But" He continues. "Should you wish to join me in prayer, it would be my honor and pleasure to ask the light to favour and protect in any worthy endeavors."

A diplomacy check, to see if they will at least let us go on with no trouble.
[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-04, 11:57 AM
She appears to mull it over for a moment, then says. "There was another group that came this way a while ago. Similarly armed, similarly foolish. They didn't want to pay for protection either. Mercenaries, always so full of themselves." She muses. "I heard they ran into trouble. They never came back this way." The ghost of a smile is back, as if she relished the cost of that foolishness. "So you see it would be irresponsible of us to let you pass without some escort, and it would be rude of you not to pay us for that service. The cost is 10g. Each. You seem able to afford that, and in return we'll keep you safe all the way to your destination. Maybe even have some prayers for the success of our endeavour." The thugs laugh a bit at the joke, but only after the woman does.
You can pass peacefully, but disposition makes diplomacy impossible. You can't convince them that it's in their best interest to let you pass. At least not with diplomacy.

Prehysterical
2014-11-04, 02:30 PM
Here's hoping this works, or we'll be in trouble.
Taking 1 full minute to improve attitude
[roll0]
Maaaybe this'll work.

As the group of armed men approach from the treeline, Jacinius doesn't know whether to run away or reach for his crossbow. For now, however, the bandits seemed content just to stand and talk. The Cheliaxian grits his teeth and tries to maintain a civil demeanor. They are outnumbered, and fighting these people before reaching the ruins was probably a bad idea. After the others speak with them and hearing their mocking attitude, however, Jacinius finally snaps in a display of temper. Taking a few steps forward, he looks the woman in the eye and launches into a diatribe.

"Spare me all this talk of 'escorting' and your 'concern'. We all know what the hell is going on here. We all know that you are here to try and fleece us of money like some damned priest of Asmodeus. Well, I'm done with this crap. We have been slogging the road for two days and I am not in the mood right now. So why don't you do all of us a favor and let us pass, you brow-beaten, leather-headed murdering scum of the earth BANDITS!" The last part is spoken in a shrill voice as Jacinius's eyes go wild behind his mask. It's clear that some prior experience is coming to the fore.

Diachronos
2014-11-04, 04:31 PM
Teya flexed her hands and shifted her feet, readying herself for a fight after Jacinius' outburst. Apparently, the two of them and the hard look that Valus was giving were more than the lesser thugs could handle, and she watched with a smirk as they turned to flee. The men with halberds appeared to be reconsidering their options, but the woman was visibly angry at them.

"Come on, now. Do you really think a fight will do anybody any good at this point? Nothing's going to come of it, other than getting hurt. We can take care of ourselves, and I'm sure there are others who would get more benefit out of having you around."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-04, 04:39 PM
The woman looks at him, and her eyes are cold. The smile drops from her face. "You speak to me of Asmodeus, Chellaxian filth?" There is no smile on her face anymore, and all semblance of comraderie is gone. Whatever their leader's fortitude, however, her comrades do not seem to share. The men with halberds seem nervous and worried, and after a moment's thought, the thugs break and run. 3 of them make it to the trees and dissapear. One is less fortunate, as the woman turns with rage suffusing her features. A green arrow springs up in her palm and with a slash of her arm, the spell slices through the air, piercing the man through his light armor. He takes two more steps, then coughs up blood and falls to the ground, the impact site on his back sizzling ominously. "COWARDS! I will hunt you down myself!" She how's at the trees, then whips around back to face Jacinius. Rather than moving back, she steps forward, until their faces almost touch. It would seem tender, almost romantic, but for the rage that suffuses her being.

"I escaped from Chelliax long ago with my life, after people such as YOU held me a slave, tortured me, used me for their purposes. I will see you and your friends burn before I allow one of your filth to pass unharmed. My name is Anna Frostbourne, and I swear to you, it will be the last name you hear on this earth." This close, Jacinius can see what was not obvious before. The scar on her face is not alone. Her shoulders and upper back are covered with ropey scar tissue, that you can only assume goes even lower, though that is yet covered by her armor.

Prehysterical
2014-11-04, 04:54 PM
In the face of the woman's rage, Jacinius's anger actually cools. A touch of actual sympathy makes its way into his eyes. Reaching up slowly, Jacinius pulls the metal mask off of his face. It very clearly reveals the hideous brand of Asmodeus's symbol on his face. His gaze is steely as he responds to the woman.

"People like me, huh? Do you know how I got this scar? I certainly didn't ask for it. My own mother-" He breaks slightly into a mad, damaged laugh in an obvious attempt to dull the memory. "My own mom, my own flesh and blood, thought that she could get on the good side of the Lord of Hell by branding her own little boy. Well, guess what, it worked! And the whole joke was on me! The whole freaking bureaucracy is a joke!

So, guess what? I'm not to blame for what happened to you. I didn't have it easy, either. But this," Jacinius indicates the scene around them. "If you've really got such a bone to pick, why are you out here roughing up travelers in Andoran? What the hell kind of escaped slave story is that? You would think that you would love these people after what you went through, and yet here you are making a brute out of yourself. What kind of ambition, or pride, does that show? You gonna put some scars on other people to make up for the ones on your back?"

I don't honestly expect this to work (probably looking at a DC of 29 here, which = impossible) but it makes sense IC
Diplomacy: [roll0]
I expect much pain soon.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-04, 06:28 PM
"Roughing people up?" Anna looks confused. "The forest is truly dangerous. The last group to do in there didn't listen to our warnings, and they died. Badly." She looks down for a second and takes a step back, removing her hand from her sword. She waves an arm, and her men lower their halberds. "The price is not the same. You seem well off, so it's higher. If a peasant family needs passage through the forest, we typically only charge them a meal and a place around the fire. I am here to protect the people of Andoran from the things in the forest, things that Chellaxian priests brought here."

Anna looks at the two men, who nod their heads. She turns back to you. "Go. Your lives are in your own hands. But hear me. Do not camp beneath the trees. You must not remain in the open forest after nightfall. Wherever your destination, press hard through the forest. To spend a night there is death."

She moves close to Jacinius, words for his ears only. "We are bound in the same blood, you and I. When you time comes to strike back at those who did this to you, I will be there."

Diachronos
2014-11-04, 07:13 PM
Teya couldn't help shivering at the sight of the brand on Jacinius' face. That was a childhood she couldn't imagine going through, and she was damn glad for that fact. It didn't make her feel any less sorry for what he must've gone through, though, and she even found herself feeling guilty over seeing her own history as rough.

Her attention turned back toward Anna. "The warning is appreciated. You may want to work on your first impressions a little, though... I doubt we're the first group you came across who thought you were just outlaws trying to extort them."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-04, 07:39 PM
Anna shrugs. "It helps people to not stiff us. We have to eat, you know."

Prehysterical
2014-11-04, 07:52 PM
Placing the mask back on his face, Jacinius's demeanor instantly changes as a smile comes to his face. It is hard to imagine the outburst and brooding he had gone through seconds before.

"Thanks for the advice. I'm glad we didn't have to come to blows, but Teya is right about changing your approach. Also, little tip... Shooting help in the back isn't a great way to instill camaraderie in your fellow man."

Moving past her, he regards her still gorgeous features, only made more raw by the scar, and whispers, "Glad to hear it. Hopefully, I'll see you before then when we're more relaxed. I like my women a little dangerous and you, Anna Frostbourne, seem very dangerous." His sly tone leaves the implication for Anna's interpretation. With a new spring in his step, the summoner moves past the two halberdiers.

"Come on, we've got a lot of ground to cover before nightfall!"

Smileybastard
2014-11-04, 07:54 PM
Anathal

"Stiff you? As in not succumb to your threats? I suggest you either get an honest job or admit you are a criminal. "

gremlin-pult
2014-11-04, 09:20 PM
"Anathal!" Dardail exclaims in a hard voice. "From what I see the misunderstanding was ours, no matter the first impression. The air was cleared, and they explained themselves, so there is no reason to judge. If they are truly trying to help, which I no longer see any reason to doubt, calling them unjust names will only serve to make ourselves lesser." He turns and nods to Anna, then sets his horse into motion after Jacinius.

Smileybastard
2014-11-04, 09:36 PM
Anathal

"I stand by what I said. I see no misunderstanding. I see a story being changed after being challenged."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-04, 09:41 PM
"Cute." Anna says to Anathal. "But perhaps you aught to let your friends do the talking."

Maquise
2014-11-04, 10:25 PM
Valus performs his controlled breathing exercises to try to get his temper back under control.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-05, 09:26 AM
The journey to the edge of the forest takes the rest of the time before night falls, and you reach what could only be described as "the edge" just as true darkness falls. Do you heed the warning and camp outside? Such a camp would be exposed to the elements, and light would carry far in the open darkness of the highlands. Then again, there was a mention of horrors within the trees at night. The choice is yours.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-05, 09:31 AM
"Hmm, I think we should err on the side of caution tonight, and camp here at the edge. Even if Annas warnings were false, a forest is a dangerous place to be at night for those unused to it." Dardail stares into the forest, the dense forest reminding him of events from his youth. "Goblins in a deep forest..." He mutters, with the faraway gaze of someone lost in memories.

Prehysterical
2014-11-05, 11:47 AM
Jacinius nods in agreement with the tiefling paladin.

"She mentioned something about Cheliax releasing things into the woods. I'd rather be out here in the open, where I can see the damn things coming."

Maquise
2014-11-05, 01:08 PM
Valus looks at either end. "Either way, I think we should strengthen our watch tonight."

Prehysterical
2014-11-05, 01:12 PM
"I think I may be able to help with that."

Reaching within his shirt, Jacinius pulls out a small golden key. Twisting it in the air before him, he opens the familiar circular portal. After a minute of drifting embers and the smell of smoke and ash drifting from the hole between worlds, the eidolon steps forth and gazes curiously at the others. It appears ready to leap and rend at any moment.

"Relax, we're traveling with these guys for right now. There might be monsters in the forest that we need to fight. But you're ready for that, aren't you boy?"

The eidolon growls in agreement as it flexes its claws, its voice rumbling like a waking volcano.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-05, 10:16 PM
Still a bit uncomfortable around Jacinius' "pet", Dardail clears his throat while thinking about how to best phrase it. "indeed, it would surely be of help if your uh... Companion, accompanies us in our guard duties through the night. Good thinking Jacinius" satisfied that he has Said it so no one will be offended, Dardail starts looking around for a good spot to set camp. The creature can surely be of aid, but letting it guard us without anyone watching it? Not a chance he thinks

Smileybastard
2014-11-05, 10:59 PM
Anathal

Anathal says "I am fine either way and guards would be wise. I can see in the dark so I can take guard when the night is blackest."

Diachronos
2014-11-05, 11:53 PM
Teya laid her bedroll on the ground as the rest discussed the guard shifts, making sure to keep a fair distance from Jacinius' summoned creature. It wasn't that she didn't trust him when he said that it was harmless (okay, maybe a little), but she'd prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Plus it looked like it might set more flammable materials on fire just by being close, so that didn't help things.

"I'm fine with either first watch or third watch. It should be a little lighter either first thing at night or just before sunrise, and i don't have any kind of night vision."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-06, 01:00 PM
"Then let us plan it in short shifts. Teya can take the first shift, then I will take the darkest hours before midnight, and Anathal the dark hours after midnight, as we can both see clearly in the dark. Jacinius or valus can then take the last shift until dawn. that leaves one man to get a full nights rest without interruptions, and the rest of us will also get plenty of sleep. This way, we can also switch between every night who gets a full nights sleep. Is that acceptable?" Dardail looks around at the others, awaiting their opinions.

Maquise
2014-11-06, 01:07 PM
Valus nods his agreement.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-06, 01:43 PM
Baring any further arguement, the group sets down to sleep, de-facto leader elected by the vote of "nobody cared enough to dispute it". It was a largely meaningless appointment, as you are hardly beholden to one another, but still, at least something got done. The night obliged, and closes in around the group.

The first watch was easiest for Teya, since she simply did not go to sleep. The forest was quiet, but not a reassuring quiet, rather the quiet of too stillness, when all the prey on the world knows that something that means to eat them stalks. It is uncomfortable, but your shift passes without incident.
Teya awakes you, mentioning that the forest has been quiet, then goes to bed, leaving you alone. As Teya said, the forest is eerily quiet. Yet nothing presents itself until you go to wake Anathal. Then you notice the eyes. They ar purple, a bright fracture of amathyst reflected in the fire. In the darkness of the trees, they seem almost disembodied. It is then you realize that you had heard nothing as the creature move de though the forest to observe your camp just beyond the tree line. You wait, but the eyes do not move or blink, and so informing Anathal, you go to sleep.
Dardail wakes you with a hand over your mouth, motioning for silence. He points off into the darkness, and as you look, you notice the eyes. Amathyst purple reflected in the firelight. Yet even your expert vision can only barely make out the shape of the creature in the darkness of the forest, an inhuman, bestial form. Clearly the warnings of the Anna woman, whatever else her faults, we're not lies. Your watch is fitful, as the eyes never waver, and you get the distinct sense that, should you have been within the trees, you would never have woken up. The malevolence of the being radiates. Just before you go to wake the 4th, the eyes dissapear in one blink of your own.
Anathal wakes you, mutters something about eyes in the forest, then falls immediately to sleep. Dawn approaches, and the forest is mute.

Dawn breaks, and the camp slowly awakens to find that despite the events of the night, naught was amiss. As you break camp there is a brief moment to speak before you must head into the selfsame forest to find your lost ruins.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-06, 01:59 PM
"T'would seem that Anna and her companions did not steer us wrong with their warning. Whatever it was that watched us in the night, I somehow doubt we've seen the last of it. But, at least we can continue well-rested." Dardail says as he starts packing his belongings, eating some of his rations while working.

When he saw the eyes during the night, Dardail used detect evil, to be sure whether the thing is certain to be hostile, or just curious

Smileybastard
2014-11-06, 02:01 PM
Anathal

"Yep, there were eyes that watched us at least for hours. Not sure if that is a huge threat or if that vindicates Anna of much."

Maquise
2014-11-06, 03:18 PM
Valus, having taken the final shift, says, "I neither heard nor saw anything in my watch. Perhaps it was intimidated by my stature."

Prehysterical
2014-11-06, 05:22 PM
Jacinius wakes up in a fairly good mood. Having had a full night's sleep, he begins gnawing on trail rations to get ready for the day. The mention of the watcher in the night makes him realize that his eidolon is nowhere to be seen.

Brushing a few crumbs off of his shirt, he stands and pulls forth the key in a familiar ritual. A minute later, the eidolon emerges. For a creature that is so alien, it does a good job of appearing nonplussed. Jacinius holds up his hands in apology.

"Sorry. Didn't know that you went away when I slept. I will keep that in mind for the future. Today, though, you get the chance to walk through the spooky forest with us. You'll get to stretch your legs and maybe, just maybe, someone will come out to play."

Whenever the two of them are traveling through the forest, they both get a +4 to Perception checks.

Smileybastard
2014-11-06, 05:27 PM
Anathal

Anathal smirks at Valus. "Me thinks you are not as big as you think you are."

Diachronos
2014-11-06, 06:37 PM
Teya yawned as she unwrapped some of her trail rations. She was sitting on her bedroll, with a bad case of bed-head hair... or at least it would be, if her hair wasn't normally unkempt to begin with.

"Come on, you guys... I know the forest is creepy, and Anna warned us that they're dangerous, but purple eyes staring at you from the trees? Really?" She bit down on a chunk of jerky. "If there was really something watching us the whole time, how come me and Valus didn't see it?"

Smileybastard
2014-11-06, 06:42 PM
Anathal

Anathal sits down beside Teya. "Because we are demon spawn and you are not. Demon spawn can see in the dark, but I am not convinced it is some horrible evil. All we know is there were eyes and lots of things have eyes."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-06, 06:56 PM
"Come now, let us not linger on what went on in the night. Anna was right that something lurked in the night, evil or otherwise. and it is a simple truth that it is safer to traverse the forest in daylight." Dardail says with a chuckle at the discussion of his companions.
"Besides, plenty of things can be dangerous without being evil. Perhaps it was simply a wild animal we saw."

Prehysterical
2014-11-06, 07:08 PM
"Damn right things don't have to be evil to be dangerous. Can we get a move on? I'd very much like to be in a good spot to camp before night comes again. My gut tells me there's probably more than one boogeyman in this forest."

Smileybastard
2014-11-06, 07:24 PM
Anathal

Anathal packs up his gear and mounts his horse, with a grin. "I am ready to head out."

Diachronos
2014-11-06, 07:39 PM
Teya looked at the map they'd been given. "Going by this, we should be able to reach the ruins before nightfall, maybe even by midday. If it comes down to it, we can just hole up in there for the night until we find the urn, then just leave the morning after we find it." A few minutes later, her belongings were packed and she was slinging her backpack onto one shoulder.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-07, 04:25 PM
Camp is broken down in orderly fashion. You move cautiously into the woods, the weight of warnings heightening senses tuned to any disruption of the norm. Yet none occurs. The woods are as they should, the sounds of nature and the easy scent of pine and oak heavy. Needles and leaves fallen still from winter crunch underfoot, even as new foliage begins with the onset of spring. Of the creature with the amethyst eyes, there was no sign. Perhaps it was driven into hiding during the day, or it never existed beyond the fanciful imagination of the night watch. The forest around you is old, very old if the size and girth of the trees are to be judged.

You follow the map truly, and reach the point where the ruins ought to be 3 hours past the sun's zenith. Yet instead of ruins, you find only the entrance to a cave. You cannot see beyond the mouth of the cave, and still hidden in the trees, you are free to observe it as you see fit.

OOC: if you would like to check over the cave, roll a Perception in OOC, otherwise you can simply walk in.

Smileybastard
2014-11-07, 07:49 PM
Anathal

Anathal looks into the cave. "Well, we might as well look."

Perception [roll0]

Maquise
2014-11-07, 11:02 PM
Valus looks over the cave entrance. "Perhaps it collapsed underground."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-08, 02:02 AM
"Or perhaps the ruins were never above ground to begin with...." Dardail mutters, unsure whether they are even in the right place.

Prehysterical
2014-11-08, 09:57 PM
Jacinius chews his lip as he considers the cave entrance. He is able to notice nothing in particular within the entrance, and neither does his eidolon.

"Well, we've got a bit of a dilemma here. Either we can go in now, and get this done sooner; or we can set up camp in front and go in first thing tomorrow morning. That, of course, means that we have to spend the night out here, but it looks like we're going to have to do that either way. I'd rather sleep out here in the open than go sleeping in a giant hole in the ground."

Smileybastard
2014-11-08, 10:32 PM
Anathal

Anathal looks at the group and sighs. "It is the middle of the afternoon. Surely we can manage that, besides we may find a better place to cower for the night inside," he says sarcastically.

Diachronos
2014-11-09, 12:51 AM
Teya sighed and started walking toward the cave entrance. "Well, you guys have fun discussing that, I'll come back if I find anything."

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 01:00 AM
Anathal

Anathal heads in with Teya, grinning as he goes. "You tell'em sister."

Prehysterical
2014-11-09, 01:10 AM
Jacinius heaves a weary sigh as he follows along.

"Yes, let's just rush in without a plan. Thank you for being the designated trap monkey."

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 08:15 AM
Anathal

"A plan? I heard no planning, other than about where and when to sleep." says Anathal without looking back. "It is a cave ... we explore it and if something actually scary shows up then we will come up with a plan as needed."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-09, 10:19 AM
"Let us at least think a bit, before rushing in" Dardail responds with a weary voice as he hurries to Anathal and Teyas side. "Anathal and I can see without the aid of light, and we are more heavily armored than most of you. We should go in front, with the rest of you a few feet behind, carrying torches"

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 10:29 AM
Anathal

Anathal sighs again and looks at Dardail without stopping. "Teya is a big girl ... figuratively speaking ... and I am sure can deal with being attacked. I am sure if she gets to the point where she can't see she will do something to deal with it."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-09, 10:57 AM
"And surely that is what the mercenaries thought as well!" Dardail snaps. He then blanches at his own tone and continues "What I meant was, the others are going to need torches to see. that is a fact. and you and I will be more use up front, where we can see, and avoid being seen instantly in the light. I did not mean to belittle anyone. I simply wish for us to find the cause of these troubles without any of us coming to undue harm."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-09, 03:37 PM
Over objections, Teya and Anathal head into the cave, the others following cautiously behind. You round the corner of the cave mouth to see two goblins, spears resting in easy reach, leaning against the far wall, each one next to a tunnel entrance. They look up, shocked to see a group of people walking brazenly in, then with a start, both bolt down their tunnels. Oops. Looks like there were guards. Now the smell of an old campfire is obvious, the smokey interior of the cave telling of habitation that you could not sense from outside. All that's left now is to decide which tunnel to take. The map claims you are in the right place, and the presence of guards likely reinforces that claim. Two tunnels, but which to choose?

You can make knowledge or perception checks to learn more about the tunnels
Highly relevant: Nature/Dungeoneering

gremlin-pult
2014-11-09, 05:20 PM
"Damn. We're on their homeground, and just lost the element of surprise. This could turn ugly, quick" Dardail curses.
Looking down the tunnels, He frowns in displeasure. "Little buggers probably have every inch of the place trapped as well... Damn. I hate goblins!" Realising that he is losing his temper, Dardail takes a deep breath and mutters a prayer. He then turns to the others, obviously strugglings to keep his displeasure at the situation curbed.

Perception to spot anything interesting about the tunnels
[roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 05:38 PM
Anathal

Anathal's smile diminishes. "Who is good at spotting traps? I have never been any good at that sort of thing. If not we just stick together and move carefully."

Diachronos
2014-11-09, 06:41 PM
Teya squinted as she looked deeper into the tunnel. "Two paths, and a goblin went down each one..." She rubbed her chin in thought and cautiously started heading toward the two tunnels at the end. "You don't think the goblins are what got the research team and the mercenaries, do you?"

Knowledge - Dungeoneering: [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 07:19 PM
Anathal

Anathal thinks for a moment. "It could have been the goblins. I know nothing about the mercenaries or how many goblins there are. For all we know they could have died from a cave in or traps." He shrugs. "I suggest we don't worry about it and just proceed."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-09, 08:41 PM
The tunnels sit ominously silent, the goblins having scampered away quickly, their small stature and knowledge of the tunnels giving them an advantage in speed.

Teya looks down both of the tunnels. On the right, there are small holes throughout the tunnel. Teya's knowledge of dungeons tells her that the holes have nothing to do with traps, but beyond that she cannot tell. She also notices that in the left tunnel the soil appears to have been turned and disturbed, as if someone had placed things within it. It was disguised well, but she noticed the oddity nonetheless.

Dardail notices the holes on the right throughout the tunnel, though cannot glean much about their purpose. He notices nothing odd about the left.

OOC: remember that your IC knowledge extends only to what you have been told you know.

Maquise
2014-11-09, 09:24 PM
Valus stays towards the front of the group, his sword drawn. "Goblins, huh? We'll see what they can do. Don't worry, Dardail, I'm sure that we'll be able to deal with this complication without too much issue."

Smileybastard
2014-11-09, 09:29 PM
Anathal

Anathal grins again. "Just keep in mind that Goblins are crazy. Don't try to hard to think what they will do ... they won't."

Anathal beings to head towards the left tunnel with his sword in hand.

Diachronos
2014-11-09, 09:40 PM
Teya laid her hand on some of the holes in the wall. "Well, I know one thing... these aren't traps. Not sure what they are, though."

When she noticed Anathal heading toward the left tunnel, she stopped him. "Wait a sec. Look at the ground..." She pointed at the disturbed patches of soil in the tunnel. "They buried something here. Probably something you don't want to step on..." After a moment she headed out of the cavern and started searching around for a stick or branch that had either fallen to the ground or was in easy reach.

Perception to find a stick of decent length, maybe 4-5 feet long: [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-09, 11:25 PM
The cave yields little for Teya to use, but the trees outside are bountiful enough. She finds the stick she requires with only a small delay.

Prehysterical
2014-11-10, 12:05 AM
Knowledge (dungeoneering): [roll0]
Perception (Jacinius): [roll1]
Perception (Eidolon): [roll2]

"Abrogail's bloody panties," Jacinius swears as the goblins scuttle off. No doubt they were going to tell some friends about them and prepare a welcoming party. His eidolon stays by his side, though it is now on alert. He stays back as Teya examines an area with a stick, trying to keep an eye out.

Diachronos
2014-11-10, 12:20 AM
Teya returned with the branch and started pushing it into the dirt in the left tunnel. "Let's see what the little bastards left for us..."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-10, 12:30 AM
There is a faint click, and 3 darts embed themselves in the stick. Clearly this tunnel has some surprises in store.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-10, 10:08 PM
Dardail looks at the darts with displeasure. "This is going to be tough. With traps like that, and the goblins on alert, this place is a killing ground. We are well out of our depth here. We need some sort of plan, or we will be easy pickings down there"

Diachronos
2014-11-10, 10:11 PM
"Hmm..." Teya pulled the darts out of the stick and looks further down the hallway. Three dart traps within seconds of searching the first few feet of the tunnel... "I think we might want to leave this path be for now. The other tunnel looked clear as far as I could tell."

Maquise
2014-11-10, 10:40 PM
"I agree," Valus says. "I'd rather face the goblins head on than deal with their trickery."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-11, 07:08 PM
The other tunnel was wide enough for you to get through with only the tallest of you bowing your heads. The small holes that Teya pointed out continue down the length of the tunnel. At the end, the tunnel itself ends abruptly in a massive cavern. It is pitch black, and even the tieflings with their night sight can only see a brief distance into the cavern. It is massively empty. Of the goblin scout, there is no sign.

What do you do?

You can smell blood. It is coming from above you.

Diachronos
2014-11-11, 07:52 PM
Teya knelt and pulled one of the sunrods from her backpack when they reached the end of the smaller tunnel. As it lit up she looked around, hoping to find a sign of something other than blackness. "Can you guys see anything? Cuz I can't."

While she looked, a familiar smell came to her. "Does anyone else smell... blood?" She held the sunrod higher and looked up.

[roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-11-11, 07:58 PM
Gripping his sword and shield a bit harder, Dardail steps sideways, so that anything that may come out of the dark will have to go through him to get to the others. They may not need protection, but that won't stop him from giving it.
If only I could see a bit clearer... he thinks. Then an idea flies through his head. Perhaps the shine of the soul can show me something.

"Blood?" Dardail sniffs the air testingly, then shakes his head. "No, I do not sense anything other than the musty smell of the Cave itself"

Detect evil. No idea if it'll show anything, but hey, its free to try

Smileybastard
2014-11-11, 09:51 PM
Anathal

Anathal sniffs the air. "It is a big empty cavern. Its too big for me to see it all."

Perception [roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-11-11, 10:07 PM
Jacinius sniffs in response to Teya's observation. Sure enough, the faint smell of blood comes to his nostrils.

"Yeah, I smell it," he says quietly. "Not a good sign."

Wanting to literally shed some light on the situation, Jacinius picks up a rock from the floor, mutters briefly while passing a hand over it, and tosses the now glowing rock into the cavern.

Casting Light on a rock.

Maquise
2014-11-11, 11:43 PM
Valus peers into the darkness.

[roll0]

He readies his sword. "I have a feeling things could get interesting soon."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-12, 09:46 AM
As the stone skitters across the floor, light blooms in the cavern. The sense from the darkness before was revealed true, the cave itself is massive, and even the light from the stone and the sunrod does not reach the far wall. However, it does provoke a response from whatever was dwelling in the cavern.

Two spiders, massive in size, easily twice as large as a man, drop hissing from the ceiling. And the source of the smell of blood becomes abundantly clear. Looks like the goblin scout ran afoul of these. Even at the same time, the faint sounds of movement can be heard around you within the tunnel. Something is moving inside the walls.

You are still stuck in the tunnel.

roll initiative please

gremlin-pult
2014-11-12, 12:32 PM
"Light preserve us" Dardail breathes as he takes in the sight of the enomous spiders. He flexes his finger on his swordhilt, then exclaims in a steady voice "Stand fast, friends. By the grace of the light, we will not be overcome!"

[roll0]

Maquise
2014-11-12, 02:29 PM
Valus feels the call of battle come over him. "These beasts will taste my steel!"

[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-12, 08:55 PM
Promises of bravery and death seem to matter little to the massive beasts as they quickly charge the group. Valus and Dardail, as the two who spoke, are the two the creatures focus on, each attempting to bit down on one of the heroes with fangs that dripped with venom.

Spider 1 (Dardail)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
If hit then DC14 fort save to resist poison, otherwise [roll2] STR damage 1 per round for 4 rounds (1 Save Ends)

Spider 2 (Valus)
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
If hit then DC14 fort save to resist poison, otherwise [roll5] STR damage 1 per round for 4 rounds (1 Save Ends)

Maquise
2014-11-12, 10:05 PM
Valus's blood runs red-hot as the creature attempts to bite him! The power of his blood overtakes him, and he brings down his sword in a mighty swing! Those who look upon him would note that his skin has taken on a reddish hue, and his eyes are now slitted orange.

Free Action: Enter Bloodrage
Power Attack Spider
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

gremlin-pult
2014-11-12, 10:11 PM
Ready for the spiders clumsy attack, Dardail bashes the beast's mandibles aside with his shield, He reels slightly at the sheer force of the hit.
Light, this beast is strong! he manages to think, before turning his body with the movement of his shield, and slashing upwards with his blade, aiming for the spiders jaw.

to hit [roll0]
confirm in case of crit [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Smileybastard
2014-11-12, 10:58 PM
Anathal

Anathal gestures and his sword crackles with electricity and he strikes at one of the spiders.

Spell combat & spell strike.

Casts shocking grasp
Shocking Grasp Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Shocking Grasp Damage [roll2]
Standard Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Confirmation Roll [roll5]
Damage [roll6]
Shocking Grasp Damage [roll7]

Diachronos
2014-11-13, 01:10 AM
Teya shuddered at the sight of the spiders, and when they came skittering down she aimed a solid kick into the nearest one's face.

Move action to activate Martial Flexibility, gaining Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) for 1 minute, using Power Attack
Attack: [roll0]
Confirmation if threat: [roll1]
Damage if hit: [roll2]
Critical damage roll: [roll3]

Prehysterical
2014-11-13, 02:14 PM
As the spiders surge forward, the eidolon leans forward eagerly. Scowling behind his mask, Jacinius points to them.

"Sic 'em."

The eidolon launches forward, its claws flashing in the light.

Jacinius, meanwhile, throws a small orb of acid to aid his eidolon. The words that mutter from his lips seem just as acidic.

Taking -4 to attack roll to prevent friendly fire, ranged touch attack
Attack roll (Jacinius): [roll0]

Claw 1 attack: [roll2]
Claw 1 damage: [roll3]
Claw 1 confirm: [roll4]
Claw 1 crit: [roll5]

Claw 2 attack: [roll6]
Claw 2 damage: [roll7]
Claw 2 confirm: [roll8]
Claw 2 crit: [roll9]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-18, 12:01 PM
The cave begins to smell of a charnel house. Anathal strikes true, his sword crackling with lightning as it plunges, arcing off bolts, into the head of the beast. As the sword pierces its brain, it freezes for a moment, before devolving into spasms as the electricity arcs across its nervous system. It takes an uncomfortably long time for the beast to go still.

Jacinius's eidolon claws at the other spider, which hisses as the flaming beast tears into its hide. The spider, in mindless rage, bites back, tearing into the eidolon with its fangs.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Maquise
2014-11-18, 02:45 PM
Valus Kyrian
HP: 25/21
AC: 15
Saves: 6F/1R/4W
Bloodrage: 6/8
Conditions: Bloodrage

(I hope I'm not going out of order.)

Valus swings his mighty sword again, striking at the nearest spider.

To Hit:[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-19, 10:49 AM
Valus's sword finishes what the eidolon had started, cleaving through chitonous armor and flesh in a spray of greenish ichor. With the spiders dead, your way forward is clear once more.

As you had sensed simply by the dying of the light into shadow, the cavern was massive. The far side is shrouded in shadow, but the earthen walls rise above you. Ass you look around, you can see the spider webs high above, faint strants that were nigh invisible, yet strong as steel. A few smaller spiders move among them, but none nearly large enough to threaten. The vast blackness of the cave lies before you, waiting to be explored.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-19, 05:08 PM
Haah, good work everyone. I was not aware spiders came in that size." Dardail says with a slight smile, steadying his breath as the adrenaline drains from him. Was anyone wounded? that I can aid with, at least"

Prehysterical
2014-11-19, 05:22 PM
Jacinius rubs the head of his eidolon affectionately. "My buddy took a bite, but for some reason only my magic works on him. Don't worry, though, he's tough." The creature seems satisfied at finally having come to grips with an enemy. Jacinius picks up the rock he had thrown earlier. "Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but we should probably get a move on. Nighttime certainly waiting on us, y'know."

Smileybastard
2014-11-19, 08:02 PM
Anathal

"The worlds are full of many strange things that make these spiders seem tame."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-19, 11:44 PM
As you explore the cave, you find the vast emptiness disconcerting. What had made this cavern so large? And why had it been abandoned? The answers, however, would likely wait, as a way forward had been found.

At the far end of the cavern, you find a pathway, made of carven stone and flanked by pillars that hold up a roof. It looks, even to the unfamiliar. To be an entryway of some ancient building.

What do you do?

Diachronos
2014-11-19, 11:49 PM
Teya shuddered as the spiders fell dead. "I just hope we don't have to fight any more of these..." She held up her sunrod as they crossed the room, keeping an eye out for any other signs of activity.

She peered into the tunnel that they came across, taking in the sight of the carved stone and pillars. "Well, I think we found the ruins... who's going first?"

Perception to see if there's been any recent humanoid activity in the tunnel: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-11-20, 01:50 AM
Anathal

Anathal keeps moving slowly as he takes in the great pillars. "Indeed." He seems to be taken in by his awe of this place.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-20, 01:41 PM
Among the pillars are small alcoves. It becomes rapidly clear that this was once a massive temple, as the iconography of worship is obvious. However, that iconography is unfamiliar at best, incomprehensible at worst. There are murals along the walls above the alcoves, but many of them are destroyed, or decayed beyond any recognition. A further examination of the temple may reveal more clues, but would likely require you to split up to cover the area in any semblance of quickness.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-20, 02:00 PM
"Extraordinary" Dardail breathes, moving to inspect some of the murals more closely. "I wonder what this temple was dedicated to. A long forgotten deity, perhaps." He looks on it for a few more seconds, before moving further in.
"There maybe clues to this place's purpose further in" He calls back to the others. "We should see what we could find. It might give us an idea of what happened to the other groups, and what might lurk here, besides spiders and goblins"

Maquise
2014-11-20, 03:25 PM
Valus looks at the great architecture, the promise of ancient, long-forgotten splendor, and cannot help but wonder what vast riches lay concealed inside.

"Agreed. I will take the forefront, I think," he says.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-20, 09:40 PM
It is Teya's shouted warning that alerts the others, but it is Valus' own senses that save his life. He is first ahead of the group, and as he steps upon one of the stones, the same color and shape as every other stone, he hears the faintest of clicks. Instinct takes over and, smashing his sword into the ground, he pushes off the blade forward, leaping away from his current position. The floor drops from under him, revealing a yawning chasm, cleverly hidden by two trapdoors, which swing down on an ages-old, yet still just as lethal, pressure switch. The jump is not enough. It could not have been, but it places Valus only just below the far edge. Still, he would have fallen still had he not had his sword, which he drives into the wall with a bestial cry. And slowly, agonizingly, he pulls himself up until he can stand on the flat of the blade. Reaching up, he can just barely grab the lip at full stretch. Grabbing with his hands, he pulls the sword free with his feet and flips it above, only then climbing back up.

Once safe, he finds a switch nearby on the wall that disables the trap, allowing the rest of the group to cross, though they do so cautiously.

On the other side of the pit trap, you find two murals, the only two in the area that are legible enough to see any semblance of the image. The first shows a temple, a ziggurat surrounded by carved human figures, who bow before it. Atop the ziggurat rests an eye, which radiates with some power. It is clear that the people offer their praises to this thing, and some of the figures lift skulls towards the eye. The second mural shows the same ziggurat, but now the people surrounding it are dead, and where the eye once was, a great beam of energy or light smashes into the top of the ziggurat. The surrounding area is aflame. There are words at the bottom, though only one is even legible and it is clearly in a language that none of you can easily read.

What do you do?

Diachronos
2014-11-20, 11:44 PM
"....We should have brought someone skilled with traps." She stepped around the pressure plate after Valus activated the release switch, then followed along with the rest as they came to another part of the ruins.

The murals caught her attention, but she didn't know what to make of them. "Do you think the other images are supposed to be similar to these two?"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-21, 11:09 AM
"The people in this mural are obviously worshipping this eye. And in this one they are hit by some catastrophe..... or punishment." Dardail's brows furrows as he thinks, something nagging him at the back of his head. Then it comes back to him. "The eye..... it was what our employer used as a sign to pull us here. I think there is much he knows about this place that we were not told." He turns to Teya a grave look on his face. "But yes, I imagine the other murals would show something similar. If this is indeed a place of worship, as I think it is, it would not be uncommon that it had, through murals or other depictions, written down the history of their religion. This one seems to have ended.... badly"

Maquise
2014-11-21, 02:54 PM
"Amongst my people, the Eye is a symbol of powerful omen," Valus says, still breathing heavily from his earlier exertion. "It is strange that these people would choose to worship it. It seems to have led them to an ill doom."

Prehysterical
2014-11-21, 05:16 PM
Jacinius regards Valus with a wry grin.

"Thanks for revealing that trap for us. Boy, that would have sucked if I fell down that sucker." Rather than mocking the barbarian, Jacinius sounds actually grateful.

As they regard the murals, something seems off to the summoner, and it's not just the content of the murals.

"Why only this one letter...," he wonders aloud. He casts his hand over it and mutters a few syllables.

Jacinius casts Detect Magic on the sigil.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-24, 01:40 PM
The glyph blooms to life in Jacinius' eyes. It glows with the magic of the Angels, holy magics. Whatever person or creature set this mark here, it was clearly channeling the power of a higher being. [Specllcraft to identify if there is anything to be done with it]

While Jacinius examines the rune for further meaning, the rest of the party fans out, wisely checking for traps, and possible further murals. A careful examination reveals the trigger for a sawblade trap, obviously very old, yet still lethal. The goblins had not set these. [Disarm or Avoid] beyond the trap is a doorway leading further into the structure. A brief glace within reveals more abyssal darkness, with very little beyond a feeling of vast emptiness above and below. Some light, perhaps? Though you cannot help but remember the sentry who escaped earlier. Alerting what enemies may be ahead of your position could be unwise.

I am so terribly sorry it has taken this long to get an update in. It's no ones fault but mine, but as I promised, I'm not quitting, even if it takes me a few days to get a response together. I do apologize for not letting y'all know that it might be a bit.

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 03:43 PM
Jacinius kneels before the carving, commenting, "Ha, thought so. There's divine magic coming off of this." He looks more closely at it, seeing if he can decipher the meaning.

[roll0]

While Jacinius further examines the glyph, his eidolon prowls nearby on alert.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-24, 03:49 PM
Jacinius runs his hand along the glyph, attempting to work out its secrets. In his mage-sight, it flashes brighter than the sun, blinding him for a moment, though none outside of himself, including the eidolon notice any change. "FORSAKEN" The word imprints itself in his mind with the sound of flapping wings and bronze bells. A message? Or a warning?

His vision clears quickly enough, and he looks back to the glyph to find that whatever magic energy it once had is now gone. It is mere stone once more, though the word is clearly identifiable to your eyes as the Celestial glyph for "forsaken"

Jacinius can now test Linguistics (Celestial) at half the relevant skill modifier.

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 04:18 PM
The flash in his vision nearly puts Jacinius on his backside before he recovers himself.

"The language is Celestial, all right. It says, 'Forsaken'. Hmmm, wonder what it means?" He rubs his chin thoughtfully.

Jacinius is untrained, so I will take the +3 normal modifier and turn it into +1
[roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-11-24, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, without more information, or an actual celestial, there is little to be gleaned from one word, beyond the assumption that someone or something was Forsaken of or by the Celestial(s?) that wrote the message. Perhaps if a more complete version were found later, more could be gleaned.

The way ahead awaits, with all its perils and glory.

Diachronos
2014-11-24, 06:44 PM
"Well, if that eye is any indication I think our employer already has connections to this place..." Teya examined the trigger for the sawblade trap. Disarming it would be the ideal solution, but she didn't know how to do so without setting it off and she got the feeling that none of her companions did either. They'd just have to settle for avoiding it.

She sidestepped the trigger and headed to the doorway beyond, stopping every few feet to scan around for any signs of life or other traps.

Smileybastard
2014-11-24, 07:01 PM
Anathal

Anathal watches Teya examine the trap. "There are other ways to disarm traps, some are just noisier than others. We can toss a rock, or even a goblin on them." He grins.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-24, 08:06 PM
"Well, aside from being unacceptably cruel, throwing anything, especially a living being, onto the trap to activate it could very well make a commotion, drawing in any other creatures lurking in the tunnels" Dardail says with a disapproving expression.
"Now, the murals and the word actually make sense if you think about it. One shows the inhabitants worshipping the eye. The other shows a pillar of light wiping them out. To simplify things, they either did something so terrible in the eye of their god that It decided to punish them. Or the god was simply cruel, and punished them without reason. Either way, their god chose to forsake them, and it destroyed them" Dardail pauses, furrowing his brows in thought. I could be wrong, but that would be the most obvious conclusion, from the little information we can glean from this. the question then becomes what it was that made their god forsake them. what did they do? or what did their god do?"

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 08:18 PM
Rising from his crouch, Jacinius speculates, "My bet is that some good god saw some people worshiping this eye and decided to send down a little divine wrath. Maybe the eye is some kind of false idol?"

Moving forward, Jacinius holds the glowing rock in his fingers. "I don't like the idea of giving away our position, but goblins can see in the dark anyways. No way I'm going through this death pit blind. Not after seeing all these traps."

Toxic Mind
2014-11-24, 08:37 PM
And death pit it was. As the light illuminates the stone path before you, one thing becomes abundantly clear. The pathway, barely wide enough for two people side by side, is flanked on both sides by an absolute void.

Diachronos
2014-11-24, 08:43 PM
"Oh joy, this looks like fun..." Teya backed away from the edge of the path and looked around, unable to see anything besides the way they'd come from and the path ahead. "How much of a drop do you think it is down there?"

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 08:47 PM
Twirling the rock in his fingers for a few seconds, Jacinius shrugs and throws the glowing rock into the depths.

"Let's find out."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-24, 08:54 PM
"enough that we wouldn't survive the fall, I think" Dardail says, peering over the edge into the deep. "We will gain nothing from standing here, worrying about it. Let's just be careful, and cross it. The sooner we're om the other side, the sooner we will find the artifact. There is no Reason to disturb these ruins longer than necessary"

Toxic Mind
2014-11-24, 09:26 PM
The stone falls over the side, and drops noiselessly into the blackness until it is lost from sight. No sound reverberates back. Bottomless pits don't really exist in nature, but whatever is at the bottom, it's clesrly a long way down, and it absorbs sound well enough that no echo is heard.

The party begins making its way across the bridge, slowly, carefully. Who is in the front? Single file, or two abreast?

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 09:31 PM
Jacinius falls back to his position at the rear, blowing on another stone to replace the one he had tossed into the chasm. Behind him, his eidolon plays rearguard, keeping a wary eye out for ambushes. Its master keeps his ears peeled, trying to hear any telltale signs of trouble.

Jacinius: [roll0]
Eidolon: [roll1]

Maquise
2014-11-24, 09:48 PM
Assuming no one else steps forward, Valus once more takes the role of the vanguard.

Smileybastard
2014-11-25, 06:07 AM
Anathal

Anathal slides into the third position.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-25, 01:41 PM
As Valus slowly makes his way across, the party filing behind, the end of the bridge outlines itself in the shape of a door. Which was a relief, until Jacinius and Valus notice that their light does not reach so far. The light is coming from beyond the door, and it's getting brighter. Something is coming.

Halfway across the bridge, you are left with the choice of about facing and attempting to retreat, or moving forward and risking being trapped on the bridge. The choice is yours, but it is doubtful that whatever comes will wait for you to make it.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-27, 10:44 AM
"Damn!" Dardail exclaims when he notices the approaching lights from the other end of the bridge. "We can't fight out here on the bridge. We should move back to the end. Then we'll have room to move, while keeping them on the bridge"

Diachronos
2014-11-27, 11:16 AM
"I agree, better to fight where we don't have to worry about getting thrown off the bridge." She stepped to the side to allow the others past her as they retreated.

Smileybastard
2014-11-27, 08:20 PM
Anathal

Anathal shrugs and draws his sword.

Toxic Mind
2014-11-28, 10:23 AM
You only make it halfway back before they come around the corner. A patrol of goblins. Two carry halberds, and wear a semblance of metal armor. The other two carry bows and quivers. They seem just as surprised to see you, but they react quickly enough, moving quickly to advance across the bridge, the two halberdiers in front and the other two goblins nocking arrows behind. They are 45yards away, but advancing quickly.

Maquise
2014-11-28, 12:45 PM
Valus stands his ground. "I can hold them back. Regroup and figure out how to deal with them!"

Smileybastard
2014-11-28, 08:25 PM
Anathal

Anathal speaks some words in infernal and gestures with his left hand.

Anathal casts shield on himself.

Diachronos
2014-11-30, 11:46 PM
Teya began to slowly back up toward the tunnel they'd come from, keeping her gaze on the goblins that were approaching. They didn't seem like they'd be too difficult to handle; at the same time, halberds were good for tripping opponents, and that would be disastrous in this situation.

Perception to find any decent-sized rocks for throwing on the bridge: [roll0]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-01, 12:51 AM
Teya's cursory glance reveals little that could be used as an impromptu throwing weapon. There is little more than grit beneath your boots. There may be some back in the spider cave, but by the time they were acquired, the fight would most likely be done.

Prehysterical
2014-12-01, 03:36 PM
Seeing that it's just goblins, Jacinius moves up with his eidolon. The beast roars at the goblins, its hot breath reeking of sulfur. Jacinius moves his fingers through a pattern, and a thin layer of magic covers his torso.
Jacinius casts Mage Armor
Intimidate for eidolon: [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2014-12-02, 03:55 PM
Seeing that there is no way to join the others up front, Dardail settles for being ready behind them, within easy reach if one of them should slip.

Toxic Mind
2014-12-05, 11:34 AM
As the eidolon roars at one of the halberd goblins, it turns to run away, the beast clearly too much for its meager loyalty. It turns to run, and in doing so, trips over the Halberd of its companion. Arms pinwheeling, it teeters over the edge, and it's halberd goes flying into the abyss. The goblin grabs the edge, barely hanging on.

In typical goblin fashion, the other three laugh at the first goblins predicament. The second halberd weilder advances across the bridge (move 7m). The two archers fire arrows at Valus over the head of their halberd wielding companion.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Smileybastard
2014-12-06, 06:31 PM
Anathal

Anathal gestures with his left hand and raises his sword and moves forward as close as he can without giving them an easy shot.

Anathal casts Ghost Sound behind the goblins similar to Jacinius's eidolon, moves up to 10' from the halberd goblins.

Diachronos
2014-12-06, 06:39 PM
Teya began to walk toward the goblins, cracking her knuckles and neck to show that she meant business. The remaining one with the halberd was still a threat, but hopefully he could be dealt with before he became a problem.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Maquise
2014-12-07, 04:48 PM
Valus Kyrian
Bloodrage: 5/8

Valus feels the power of his blood run through him, and he surges forward. He slashes in a powerful blow down on the remaining halberdier goblin.

To Hit: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-12-08, 09:01 PM
Smacking his forehead after realizing his own stupidity, Jacinius unslings the crossbow from his back and places a bolt on the taught string.

His eidolon, meanwhile, seizes the advantage of the break in formation and charges toward one of the archer goblins, claws raking.
Charge, +2 attack, -2 AC (13)
Attack roll: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-08, 09:24 PM
The goblins we made of tougher stuff than the spiders. The Goblin halberdier knocks aside Valus's stroke, powerful though it is, and slashes at Jacinius's eidolon as it attempts to run by.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-12-08, 09:52 PM
Anathal

Anthal steps towards the goblin with the halberd and swings withe scimitar in both hands.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Conf[roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-11, 06:10 PM
The Goblin Halberdier parries Anathal's scimitar strike, knocking it aside and away from his body. He lashes back at the magus with a cruel strike of his weapon. Meanwhile, one of the goblin archers drops his bow at the eidolon's attack and draws a dagger. The other fires an arrow point blank at the eidolon, seeking to push it back. Meanwhile, the Halberdier hanging over the edge struggles to bring himself back onto the bridge and into the fray. His claws manage to sink in and make his time easier, but he cannot pull himself up.

Halberd
[roll0]
[roll1]
Archer
[roll2]
[roll3]
Goblin Archer Draws Dagger
Climb
[roll4]

Party's Turn

Smileybastard
2014-12-11, 09:02 PM
Anathal

Anathal steps towards the goblin with the halberd and swings again, with both hands.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Confirm[roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Maquise
2014-12-12, 12:45 PM
Valus Kyrian
Bloodrage: 4/8

Valus
Valus swings at the halberdier again.

Attack (standard):[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-12, 01:39 PM
The Goblin turns aside Anathal's strike with his halberd, but cannot get the weapon turned in time to block Valus's sword. Perhaps if his compatriot had been able, they might have held, but alone, he was little match for the two agile fighters.

Valus' sword bites into the goblin's side, the stroke killing the creature almost instantly. The light leaves his eyes as a look of surprise crosses his face before he tumbles off the side into the abyss, no sound to mark his fall.

The other halbardier looks around in panic, without his weapon he is helpless until he can climb back up.

Prehysterical
2014-12-14, 07:25 PM
Enraged by the goblin's arrow piercing between its armor plates, the eidolon descends on the goblin in a flurry of claw swipes. Jacinius, however, is confounded by the melee in front of them and hesitates.
Claw 1: [roll0]
Claw 1 damage: [roll1]
Claw 1 crit: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4]
Claw 2 damage: [roll5]
Claw 2 crit: [roll6]
Crit damage: [roll7]

Diachronos
2014-12-14, 07:38 PM
The fight between Anathal, Valus, Jacinius' companion, and the goblins was too much of a mess for Teya to run up into without the risk of falling off the bridge, but the goblin hanging off the edge was another matter. She walked over and stomped on its hands, hoping to make it lose its grip.

Attack: [roll0]; Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]; Crit: [roll3]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-14, 11:03 PM
The goblin archer explodes in a spray of gore as claws tear into its flesh. Riven almost in two by the ferocity, the goblin falls backwards without a word, shock on its face. Teya smashes her foot into the goblin's hands. With a terrified scream, it loses its grip and tumbles into the void. This fall is far from silent, and the screaming continues for almost 30 seconds before fading into the blackness. The remaining goblin, the one with the dagger, looks ready to bolt if given the chance.

Waiting on Dardail.

1 goblin left, the archer with dagger out.

gremlin-pult
2014-12-16, 11:22 AM
Not wanting to risk pushing the others of the bridge, Dardail moves forward carefully to join them.
"Surrender while you can." He calls out to the goblin. "If you lay down your weapon, no harm will come to you, I promise."

Since I can't get to the goblin safely, I just use a move action to rejoin the others.

Toxic Mind
2014-12-17, 10:02 AM
The goblin looks at Dardail strangely. He clearly does not understand the words, but the tone of the voice is soothing, and not full of anger. Still, the goblin could not discern Dardail's meaning, and so erred on the side of caution. He stabs at the eidolon with a harsh cry!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Prehysterical
2014-12-17, 06:13 PM
The goblin's dagger clangs off the eidolon's rocky armor ineffectually. Snarling its contempt, the eidolon falls on the unfortunate with a roar.
Claw 1: [roll0]
C1 Damage: [roll1]
C1 Crit: [roll2]
C1 Crit Damage: [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4]
C2 Damage: [roll5]
C2 Crit: [roll6]
C2 Crit Damage: [roll7]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-18, 08:15 PM
This goblin fares little better than the first, torn asunder in an instant. The eidolon stands, blood dripping down its claws, over the mangled corpses of the goblins. For now, the bridge is clear, and the way forward unobstructed.

Perception

After looting the bodies, and any rites that might be said, or just pushing them unceremoniously into the pit (as good a burial as they would've given the party), you move cautiously forward, checking for traps or ambushes. None present themselves, and it seems that for now, at least, you are safe. You move through the doorway on the far side of the bridge, to find that it sharply curves to the left, leading into another long hallways. Halfway down the hallway, the light of various torches and Lightrocks reveals various slumped forms, unmoving. They appear to be humanoid in shape, and larger than the goblins. The smell is rancid, overpowering the corridor. Whatever they were, they are rotting now.

What do you do?

If you want to do anything with the bridge, post that first than continue.

Diachronos
2014-12-18, 08:25 PM
After a quick search to see what valuables the goblins might have on them, Teya headed toward the end of the bridge with the others. At the end, she stopped and peered suspiciously at the slumped-over figures in the tunnel. They weren't goblins, judging by the size... maybe orcs or hobgoblins?

Perception to loot: [roll0]
Perception to notice any details about the slumped figures: [roll1]
Knowledge Local to identify the humanoids: [roll2]
Knowledge Dungeoneering just in case they can be identified with that: [roll3]

Prehysterical
2014-12-21, 02:05 PM
Putting away his crossbow and stepping gingerly around the bloodstains, Jacinius helps his eidolon and Teya search through the bodies. As they enter the tunnel, they try to keep an eye out for potential trouble.
Perception for loot:
Jacinius: [roll0]
Eidolon: [roll1]

Perception for tunnel:
Jacinius: [roll2]
Eidolon: [roll3]

Toxic Mind
2014-12-21, 02:08 PM
Teya finds a small agate stone on one of the goblins, likely sellable for 50g. She also finds an iron dagger, rusty and blood encrusted.

Teya can immediately tell that despite the state of the bodies and their relative disfigurement, these were once humans, and a quick search through their bags reveals survey equipment and maps of the area. It appears that you have found the archeological team. Of the mercenaries there is no sign.