PDA

View Full Version : The Gargoyle of House Evan (IC)

Arjen the Red
2014-10-30, 03:59 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5iw4G9LbzCM/UAko22rl7MI/AAAAAAAAYFU/laxem2S2z18/s1600/gargoyle+20.jpg

The missing gargoyle of House Evan.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-30, 04:10 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080821215014/forgottenrealms/images/9/9c/Aglarond_4E.jpg

Millennia ago the Yuirwood of Aglarond was home to a nation of Star Elves. As often is the course of history, the nation fell into ruin and humans moved into the area along with the elves. One such city, Veltalar, grew to be the most powerful. While the humans brought many benefits to the the region, many saw their introduction as an affront to the fey races. The Cult of Voldini is one such group.

Recently, the Voldini have discovered an ancient fey text called the Tome of Twilight Boughs that seemed to describe a ritual that would allow a lost temple of the ancient Yuir gods to be brought from the Feywild back to Aglarond. Rumors are that they have not completely translated this book for the ritual. The cultists are hoping to bring back one of the Yuir gods, Relkath and they are getting close; the ritual is bringing the temple back but not permanently. Instead, the temple appears and disappears, never remaining in the world for more than a single night. They need experts in the lore. It has been known that the Evan family has such knowledge. Danos Evan, who disappeared five years ago, is often to be considered the expert and one who may hold the secret to the ancient text.

Unfortunately, the ritual has the side effect of corrupting nature, and the fey creatures especially, whenever the temple is called forth from the Feywild. The normally docile fey and wildlife of the area are causing no end of problems for the farmers, hunters, and woodsman who make their home near the forest. You and your companions live in the village of Halendos, less than a day's journey from Veltalar. The village is a peaceful one, everything is laid back and the community cares about the environment that they live within. The quaint wooden buildings are all painted in bright forest colors. Almost every home has a garden, and many of them have sodden roofs from which flowers and vines grow freely.

Others in the village of Halendos know of your abilities as a group. It is evening time, the sun just setting, and word reaches you that a trio of half-elf farmers are asking a word of you.

Ridai
2014-11-03, 01:09 PM
Receiving the news, Cyrielle thanks the young man for passing the word along, adding a radiant smile and making the young man leave in rather good spirits. Deciding not delay such matters until tomorrow, the young noble dons her gear, sure to take her lantern and matches with her, tells her family where she is going and heads out, down the path through their well-tended front yard gardens. It is a fine day for an evening walk, the wind lightly playing with her flaming red hair as she takes in the matching sunset. She is wearing adventurer's gear, finely crafted to be sure, but looking like it has actually been in use and is carried with confidence based in experience. She was told that Wes and Sherlock were informed as well, so she decides to meet them there, softly humming a self-composed song, her graceful steps following her own music.

fendrin
2014-11-03, 07:11 PM
Wes

Returning from a lovely dinner with his beloved Marielle, Wes casually strolls through the village with the relaxed ease of a nobleman and the poise of a trained fencer. Dressed in fine clothes, his left hand rests casually on the pommel of his rapier, preventing the scabbard-bound blade from swinging about.
As he approaches the designated meeting spot, he catches sight of Cyri and waves, calling out to her.

"Good evening!"

Ridai
2014-11-04, 02:14 AM
Cyrielle smiles and waves back, their paths aligning. "It is a good evening indeed, but I imagine yours is even lovelier by far, not to mention Mary's." They make a wonderful couple. Cyrielle has often listened to Wes and Marielle go on and on about the other and be all out of sorts before a date, but of all the things in life to sit through, those occasions are among the ones she does not mind at all.

"Have you heard what this is about?"

fendrin
2014-11-04, 03:12 AM
Wes

Wes smiles in response to to Cyri's comment about his evening being better than hers.

"No," he responds to her query, "I have no idea what this might be about."

Ridai
2014-11-04, 03:34 AM
"Hmm..." Cyrielle inclines her head in thought, absentmindedly brushing a strand of hair out of her face. "Perhaps trouble with the fey, though I hope this is not the case. Oh well, we will hear when we get there." She dismisses the idle theorizing with a wave of her hand wreathed in a fine glove. A part of her hopes for a mystery, as she would love a challenge, while another would rather have a direct and solvable problem to quickly relieve the farmers of whatever issue that troubles them.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-04, 07:49 AM
You approach the market square, even at this hour the villages busiest spot. Vendors form a tight circle of tables with their wares out for display. Fine wool from the Moonshaes, ornate pottery from Akanul, and casks of potent dwarven ales from the East Rift.

After a minute of scanning the crowd Cyri spots Aldritch, one of the half-elf farmers. He is accompanied by two others who are introduced as Thelgood and Grear. They don't look much you all decide, just typical farmers of this area.

"Good evening Lady Cyrielle," Aldritch says proudly. "We appreciate your coming. The fey....they have somehow become quite mean-spirited as of late. Playing tricks, stealing our crops, and destroying our equipment. Quite unlike them."

Ridai
2014-11-04, 12:04 PM
"Good evening, gentlemen." Cyrielle is at ease as she greets the farmers. "I have feared as much. Can you tell us further details? When did they attack, where, what kind of fey did this, anything else you noticed or that was off?"

Darth_Versity
2014-11-04, 01:02 PM
The crowd begins to shuffle aside and give bemused looks to the area around their kneecaps as a line of smoke drifts between them. Sherlock finally appears out of an small gap between the assembled smallfolk, his trademark pipe sat firmly in his hand.

"Aye Aldritch, I too would like to know more on this as you have refused to elaborate until my companions here arrived." he nods in the direction of the other two. "Cyri, Wes. Glad you could make it."

Ridai
2014-11-04, 01:09 PM
"Glad to have you with us, Sherlock."

fendrin
2014-11-04, 02:15 PM
Wes

Wes doffs his hat to the farmers and his gnomish partner.

"We will of course investigate. Please, tell us all you can. Most importantly, do they attack frequently, and is at night or during the day? I would not want anyone to be hurt while we stand here talking."

Arjen the Red
2014-11-05, 01:47 PM
"Faeries we think," Aldritch said when the others had arrived. "The thing is, its never really been much of a problem. We don't bother them, they don't bother us. We've tried to catch them, but the bastards are quick. Very hard to catch. The others nodded at him. "They've been attacking our crops, slashing and even burning them. One of our plow oxen was murdered not more than a ten day ago. It has to stop!"

Thelgood continued: "There is an ancient oak tree just inside the forrest south of here. The tree sits in the middle of a small meadow. The fey often play there at night. That may be your best chance."

"We don't have much, but should you need coin to pay for supplies I'm sure we can get it together for you. Unless, Lady Cyri can foot the bill herself?" Grear said, looking sheepishly at the party.

Ridai
2014-11-05, 05:17 PM
With a look, Cyrielle lets the man know that "Cyri" is reserved for good friends and family. She is not a stickler for etiquette, but a little mutual respect should not be too much to ask, especially when asking for help. She also notes Grear's tone, offering financial aid where none is wanted and pre-emptively wanting to worm out of it. It can't be helped right now, unfortunate as it is, but every group of people has its ups and downs. "No, we do not require funds. We will investigate tonight to find out what has the fey so worked up."

Darth_Versity
2014-11-06, 03:44 AM
"If indeed it is the fey." Sherlock adds, while casually puffing on his pipe. "Tell me gentlemen, what leads you to believe they are the cause? The oxen that was killed, was it left whole or had any of it been taken or consumed?"

Arjen the Red
2014-11-06, 08:17 AM
Grear picked up on the look by Cyri and blushed. "Sorry my lady," he stated sheepishly.

Well, I'd like to trust my own two eyes," Aldritch replied. "We know what faeries look like around here, it was faeries. The ox was killed and left to rot."

Ridai
2014-11-06, 08:52 AM
Cyrielle lays a gloved hand onto Grear's shoulder. "It's alright, Grear. Just keep it in mind in the future," she calms him, adding a charming smile. As opposed to the aloof, distant and greedy nobles that are so common in this world and in stories, what Cyrielle says is not a veiled "or else", but forgiveness and just a reminder between two adults. Nothing less, nothing more.

She takes a step back again and looks to her companions. "Do you have further questions for the gentlemen?"

fendrin
2014-11-06, 09:12 AM
Wes

Some income would have been nice. Oh well, these farmers are clearly in trouble, and their livelihood has already taken a hit.

"No, Lady Cyrielle," He says, smiling and putting an almost imperceptible emphasis on the 'elle' "I have no further questions. Gentlemen, I would recommend that you go home and attend to your families. Keep everyone indoors tonight. If fairies are slaughtering livestock, there's no guarantee that they won't attack people." He pauses. "I do have one favor to ask. While we go to the old oak, would one of you mind delivering a message to the Evan household for me? I would not want my lady to think I had simply disappeared."

Like her brother did.

OOC:
In case it's not obvious, the italics represent Wes' internal dialogue, not something he actually says aloud.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-06, 10:19 AM
"Of course, we can let house Evan know. Please be careful," he added. They all bowed gracefully to the three of you and turned to make their way to their homes.

Night has fully arrived as you prepare to leave the village of Halendos for the meadow. The air is crisp and clean and smell of cooking fires still fills your noses. It is quiet and peaceful, the moon rising over the tops of the trees. As you walk, a hunched, hooded figure with a cane hobbles past you. She pauses in her stride, head jerking up in your direction, and then turns to face you. You peer upon the face of a strikingly beautiful elven woman, her eyes piercing you like silver fire.

"Find the thrice-twined tree," she intones in a voice that sounds strangely distant. "Only the heart of light can quench the heart of darkness."

With that, the woman bows her head and continues on her way.

Ridai
2014-11-06, 10:39 AM
Cyrielle is surprised, to say the least. Was this a vision of sorts or...

"Excuse me, do you have a moment, good lady?" Cyrielle gently lays a hand on the lady's shoulder and tries to get a glance at her face once more, to check if she still looks like the elf whose image has burned itself into her mind. She has a gentle expression on her face, meaning no harm.

fendrin
2014-11-06, 08:11 PM
Wes

Wes catches Sherlock's eye as Cyrielle moves to intercept the woman. Pausing to let a little distance grow between him and the two elf-kin, he speaks softly to the gnome.

"Well that was... odd. What do you think: diviner, fey-touched, or just a little off in the head?"

Arjen the Red
2014-11-07, 01:22 PM
The hooded figure turns, quite startled by Cyrille's touch on her shoulder, and pulls down her hood. A haggard, old crone looks back upon Cyri, and seeing her smile, relaxes. "Oh, I'm sorry dear you scared me. Can I help you?" she says, looking back with kind eyes herself.

Ridai
2014-11-07, 01:46 PM
"Oh no, madame, I am the one who should apologize. I'm afraid that I am a little too forward at times." Cyrielle's smile carries her sincerity. "It has been brought to the attention of my and my dear friends' attention that the farmers are troubled by fey. We are planning to find and meet the fey gathering nearby to see if we can peacefully resolve this issue. Do you happen to know what might have agitated the fey? We have also come across a mention of a 'thrice-twined tree' and are rather puzzled what that might refer to, if it is related at all. Have you perhaps heard stories about such a thing or know what it might mean?" Cyrielle respectfully asks the crone. The elderly have experienced and heard many things throughout their lives, as well as shifting forms of folklore, so perhaps she might be able to share a bit of knowledge (or wisdom) with them.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-07, 04:37 PM
The others jumped a bit as the once beautiful elven woman was now transformed into an elderly town's woman. "I'm afraid I don't know much my lady. No, thrice-twinded tree? No, nothing comes to mind. All I know are that the fey are angry.

She smiles politely, turns, and continues on her way home for the evening.

Ridai
2014-11-07, 04:55 PM
Even though they didn't learn anything, Cyrielle still gives a half bow and a nod. "Thank you very much for your time, madame."

Cyrielle returns to her friends. "Well, shall we?" she asks as if nothing of note happened.

fendrin
2014-11-07, 05:23 PM
Wes

"Yes, let's." He gestures towards the path. "Ladies first?"

Arjen the Red
2014-11-09, 02:10 PM
It is well into the night when you finally arrive at the tree-surrounded meadow described by the farmers. The sky is clear and the moon and stars shine brightly, but a faint taint of darkness and corruption seems to hang from each tree branch. An ancient oak, apparently near death, stands in the center of the meadow. Several tiny fey creatures with gossamer wings flit, giggle, and chortle as they play in the air, dancing and cavorting around the massive tree.

Ridai
2014-11-09, 02:42 PM
Preferring to act with care in this matter, Cyrielle first tries to see if there is anything peculiar about the oak tree or the pixies. The atmosphere in the woods is more than a little uncomfortable and chances are that there is a good reason for this. Pixies are playful, but usually they are not wont to be mean-spirited.

Wisdom check [roll0]

Darth_Versity
2014-11-09, 02:45 PM
Sherlock looks around the the tree before making any attempt to approach the fey. Could this be the 'Thrice Twined tree' that the old woman spoke of? Either way, a passive approach would be of no use.

"Greetings my friends." he begins while approaching the mischievous creatures. "We appologise for disturbing you, but the local farmers have been having some problems and we were hoping you could help shed some light on the situation."

Ridai
2014-11-09, 02:48 PM
With Sherlock heading out to the tree, Cyrielle walks with him. Her partial elven heritage likely won't help her, but perhaps a bit of natural charm might speak to their normal playful nature.

fendrin
2014-11-09, 03:52 PM
Wes

As the trio approach the clearing, Wes prepares his buckler and loosens his rapier in it's sheath.

Hopefully this won't turn into a fight, but chance favors the prepared.

When Sherlock approaches the fey, Wes moves to his side, opposite Cyrielle, to keep the gnome protected. Cyrielle, he knows, is more than capable of holding her own should things turn ugly.

With a casual smile on his face he surveys the clearing and the pixies, alert for signs of an impending attack.

OOC:
Perception: [roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-11-11, 03:21 PM
A total of four pixies are found to be frolicking around the oak tree and they stop sharply as you approach, though do not flee as often is there reaction to strangers.

"Whatever do you mean?" one of them asks in a light, airy voice.

The other three stare down Wes as his rapier sheath was loosened.

Ridai
2014-11-11, 04:42 PM
Cyrielle gives an amicable smile. "We just want to find out what has been going on and what's the cause of it. The farmers say that their fields and livestock and tools were harmed by fey and we'd like to hear your side of things. Unrelated to this... something about the forest has been feeling... off in recent times."

Diplomacy [roll0]

fendrin
2014-11-11, 11:14 PM
Wes

"Not that we think you could have had anything to do with it of course. We just figured that you could tell us about what other fey may have been up to."

With the way those three are looking at me, I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind it.

[roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-11-12, 07:29 AM
The pixies giggle and begin to fly about. One passes right over Wes, streaks up into the tree above him and drops a pile of acorns that bounce off the fighter's head. The pixie giggles more and swoops back to behind the oak tree.

"You must entertain!" cries another of the pixies. "Yes! Entertain, entertain!" adds another.

They fly in circles around all of you making you all a bit dizzy. They twitter and whirl about in the air like a swarm of gnats. The smiles on their beautiful faces indicate that they are elated by the prospect of you playing with them.

"So," says the one pixie who appears to be the leader, "how are you going to entertain us? Or should we just figure out some way of entertaining ourselves with you?"

Ridai
2014-11-12, 07:42 AM
"How about a trade? You give us the boring information we are looking for and I replace it with a fun song. If you ask me, the trade is in your favor. A promise to each other is everything needed to make the trade." Cyrielle produces her viol, playing a quick piece of an upbeat, playful, catchy tune, a song one can dance and jump and play to, just enough to hook, but stopping at the right moment to make the rest feel so tantalizing, the music getting stuck in ones head and yearning for the rest of it.

Performance [roll0]
(please, please, please let me retain that result for the full performance)

Arjen the Red
2014-11-12, 02:28 PM
The pixies are entranced by the sound of the music. They settle from their whirling around the meadow and hover ten feet from Cyrille watching intently.

Ridai
2014-11-12, 02:59 PM
Playing a few quiet notes, teasing the full performance, Cyrielle gently reminds them. "Now now, you still have to promise. An honest promise makes the music so much sweeter and we want the boring parts out to have all the room for the sweet things in life." There is no malice in her voice, sounding even a bit motherly. She does not want to slight the pixies or do them any harm. She just wants to make sure they have an agreement and can fulfill it in peace instead of turning on each other after the song is done.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-12, 04:05 PM
The pixie leader nods in agreement.

Ridai
2014-11-12, 04:15 PM
Cyrielle smiles radiantly. "Then this one is just for you, sweetlings." With that, she begins to play the song in full, with all the energy she can muster, channelling sheer joie de vivre into her performance, letting it sweep through her and into the pixies. Soon, she dances along with the music, wordlessly inviting the pixies to join her as she whirls and sways beneath the moon, singing perfect elven lyrics with a voice as smooth as silk that is weaving like a leaf on the wind, her fiery hair like a crimson halo shimmering in the moonlight. Even with the foreboding evil in this forest, she defies it, bringing joy into this dark place and if this evil has power over the pixies, Cyrielle reminds them of a sweeter, purer joy, together with her and other big people.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-13, 10:59 AM
The pixies are overjoyed with happiness and flutter around with delight. As the music dies down the leader approaches the group and begins to speak with a voice that is still light and airy, but also laced with sadness and despair. Her eyes betray the conflict that she feels.

"Over the past several months a temple that appears as a grove of trees has been manifesting itself on a nearby hill," the pixie says, pointing behind her. "It always appears at midnight on certain nights of three tendays. This is one of those nights. Ever since the temple began appearing, us fey have felt its presence. We have managed to face off most of the....corruption, but the other fey have not. They seem drawn to malicious activities." She sighs and looks back at the tree in the center of the meadow.

fendrin
2014-11-13, 12:45 PM
Wes

A mysterious temple? Well, there had to be something influencing the fey.

"I guess we had better be on our way to that temple then."

...and get away from here before the corruption overcomes one of them. I'd rather not fight them if I don't have to.

Ridai
2014-11-13, 01:24 PM
"We will do what we can to help you, sweetlings, hold on just a little longer. My name is Cyrielle, though you can call me Cyri if you like. Also, can you tell us about that tree?" Cyrielle gestures to the object in question.

Darth_Versity
2014-11-14, 05:43 AM
"A strange temple? I sense dark forces at work. I believe further investigation is necessary." He inclines in the direction the pixies indicated. "As Wes said, ladies first."

Arjen the Red
2014-11-14, 04:35 PM
The pixie looks devastated at the mention of the tree. "Nimiwi...." she sighs.

"The oak tree is the home of Nimiwi. She is the strongest of the few in these parts. She alone had the courage to enter the temple a ten-day ago. She has not returned. The longer her and the tree are parted, the sicker they both become." It is almost as if she begins to weep although you see no tears from her eyes.

"None of us dare enter the temple. But if you could go..."

Ridai
2014-11-14, 04:50 PM
"Don't worry, we will find Nimiwi. You all stay safe and hold on a little longer in the meantime." Sympathy is in every part of her features as she speaks, before she turns to her friends. "Gentlemen." With that, they head to the temple.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-16, 09:35 PM
You can tell that the pixie is most greatful and a warm smile beams across her tired face. She quickly flies off into the thick of the trees and returns a moment later, a cloak in her hand. "Here. We want you to have this. May it aid you in your quest."

It is nearly midnight and the moon breaks from behind a small cloud, illuminating a bald hilltop about half a mile away from the outskirts of the meadow. Materializing as if the moonlight itself were making it solid is what looks like a dense copse of trees. The more you look, the more you realize the copse is actually a structure. It is made of living trees who trunks have grown so close together they form solid walls while their branches intertwine to form a roof. It is shadowy and foreboding and not of you feel much comfort in its presence. Even from this distance, something just doesn't seem right about it. But from what the pixies shared with you, it won't stay there long so you will need to decide your course of action quickly.

fendrin
2014-11-16, 09:51 PM
Wes

"I think we should make our exploration brief; I do not want to find out what happens if we are inside when it disappears."

He steps toward the structure, then pauses.

"Forgive the rudeness my lady," he adds with a smile,"but I shall take point."

With rapier drawn and buckler in hand, he cautiously approaches the tree-structure, looking for an entrance.

OOC:
[roll0]

Ridai
2014-11-17, 02:26 AM
Cyrielle bows gracefully as thanks for the gift, putting it on before they go. Perhaps when they are done with this quest, she can spend an entire night playing for the pixies. Another reason to get this done quickly.

At the temple, Cyrielle does not take long to examine her surroundings. She readies her weapon just the same as a measure of caution. "You shall be excused, just this once," Cyrielle answers playfully, searching for an entrance and heading into it.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-17, 05:11 PM
The dense copse that makes up the temple rises ahead of you on a hill. Its entry way is open and lights twinkle from within like stars, but still there is something foreboding about it. To your left rises the mound with a fairie on it. Unlike the rest of this place, the mound feels soothing. A pond sits to the right of the entrance and a number of large, man-sized boulders are scattered throughout the area. The rest of the space is a thick, tough grass that is common this deep into a forest.

You have been fortunate not to run into trouble so far, but as you sit quietly in the bushes an enormous boar steps froth from the entrance to the temple and several wolves creep out from the bushes. It doesn't seem as if they see you but they begin to growl, their red eyes pierce through the dim light shed by the cloud covered moon.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YGpZEgbzYC7SkoYruD-ZEAieQ4-OKfOAqAuQzt4_dHg/edit

Roll INIT please. Please ask any questions about the terrain in the OOC thread.

fendrin
2014-11-24, 12:56 PM
Wes

"Let's not make any hasty moves... stay behind me if you can."

He readies himself, intent on a stop-thrust against the first aggressor to come into reach.

If I can take down the first one to attack, maybe the rest will think twice about attacking...

Ready an action to attack the first attacker to come into range.

To speed up the action (i.e. prevent waiting on my making another post later), here is my attack roll and damage; modify as appropriate.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Other relevant info: AC 17, 12/12 hp

Ridai
2014-11-24, 03:11 PM
"Those mutts better think twice before they end up skewered." Cyrielle's words are laced with subtle magic, directed at the nearest wolf.

(Vicious Mockery, Wisdom DC 15 or take [roll0] psychic damage and gain disadvantage on the first attack roll during its next turn.)

Arjen the Red
2014-11-24, 07:32 PM
The wolf on the west side of the temple snarls at Wes and charges towards him. It stops short, however, as the slurs of insult ravish its pitiful brain. It rears its head and shakes vigorously.

It's kin isn't deterred. It lunges at Sherlock and tears into his arm with its sharp teeth, tearing away a chunk of fabric and skin. Sherlock screams in pain and falls backward. He almost hits the ground but manages to right himself at the last second. He isn't looking well at all.

The boar charges at Cyri and pummels into her waiting weapon.

Cyri must make a strength save or be knocked prone from the force of the onrushing boar.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-25, 07:39 AM
Cyri side steps and pushes her weight just enough to the side to prevent the boar from knocking her to the ground. It snarls and prepares to charge again.

Ridai
2014-11-25, 07:46 AM
Whirling around, Cyrielle rushes to Sherlock's side, attempting to strike the offending wolf.

[roll0], [roll1] damage (+1 from crit die)
edit: Critical hit. Additional die rolled in OOC. A whole 1. Such wow.

Arjen the Red
2014-11-25, 07:53 AM
Cyrielle's rapier hits true across the wolf's throat, opening it from ear to ear. It lets out a gurgled yelp and slumps to the ground in a black mass of fur.

fendrin
2014-11-25, 10:17 AM
Wes

Fighting a boar with a rapier... should have brought a boar spear. No way I'll be able to get it's heart with this.

As the boar barrels into Cyri, Wes steps up to it's flank and stabs at it's neck.

[roll0] (or not... Arnie G is not happy with me, apparently)
[roll1]

AC 17
HP 12/12

Arjen the Red
2014-12-03, 11:43 PM
Eyes closed for a brief moment, Sherlock whispers quietly in an ancient gnomish dialect as his hands turn blue and the air around him chills. Thrusting them outward, a thin beam of blue-white energy shoots out towards the boar. The cold strikes the poor beast directly in the snout stopping it dead in its tracks. It's last breath exhaled out as a mist of fine crystalline air before it fell over like a child's wooden toy, legs frozen stiff.

The wolf snarled and leapt at Sherlock from just to his left. The poor gnome never saw it coming as the beast tore into his abdomen with angry resolve. Sherlock let out a blood curdling scream as the wolf's teeth sunk into his flesh. It shook him violently and threw him to the ground, blood oozing through his robes.

Ridai
2014-12-04, 01:38 AM
Cyrielle slashes at the wolf, trying to stop it so she can get to the healing.

[roll0], [roll1] damage

Arjen the Red
2014-12-04, 07:27 AM
The rapier slices through the wolf cleanly, a stream of blood spraying outward from its hide. It yelps but stays on its feet ready to pounce.

fendrin
2014-12-04, 08:11 AM
Wes

"Sherlock!"
Wes leaps towards the wounded wolf, his rapier flashing in the moonlight.

OOC:
Come on dice, treat me better this time.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Arjen the Red
2014-12-04, 10:26 AM
The rapier's tip gouges into the wolf's throat and then cuts it open down to the belly. Blood sprays across Wes's face as the wolf gurgles its last breath.

Ridai
2014-12-04, 10:30 AM
Immediately Cyrielle tends to Sherlock, weaving a healing Cure Wounds spell to save his life.

fendrin
2014-12-04, 03:01 PM
Wes

Wes wipes the blood from his face and keeps on the lookout.
That's all he can do for Sherlock now.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-04, 09:31 PM
The color returns to Sherlock's face and he lets out a quiet groan as he stirs gently. The jagged pieces of his torn flesh begin to reach out and join together and close the wound.

The temple looms ominously over all of you.

Ridai
2014-12-05, 06:28 AM
"Are you alright?" Cyrielle asks Sherlock. She doesn't feel great about killing the animals, but it was fight or flight. And as it seems, flight was not an option.

"We need to move." Once everyone is ready, they head into the temple.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-05, 08:30 AM
Sherlock shakes his head and rubs his eyes vigorously. "I'm feeling groggy, but better. What the hell happened out there?!" he exclaims looking up at the temple.

You all step cautiously towards the entrance and then into a long hallway. This passage seems to have been grown rather than built. Trees whose trunks have fused together form solid walls. Dense intertwining branches and vines form the ceiling, but so densely that no light from the moon creeps in. The interwoven roots create a solid and surprisingly solid floor.

A myriad of twinkling lights, as if from some sort of ethereal fireflies, illuminate the halls as brightly as any clear summer evening. The mist of light is brighter in some areas than others and shifts as a gentle breeze passes through the passage. The light is comforting, however you can't shake the feeling that something is not quite right in here.

Is it just an occasional trick of the misting light that makes you think you see a root or vine move out of the corner of your eye?

fendrin
2014-12-05, 08:43 AM
Wes

"What happened is that those wolves followed their hunting instinct - prey on the weak. And to a wolf, smaller means weaker."

Upon entering the temple, Wes pauses to take stock of the odd environment.

"Alright, the tight confines are both a benefit and a disadvantage. I'll go first, Sherlock in the middle, and Cyri, I'd like you to take the rearguard position."

Wes has completely dropped the flirtations and flattery he normally presents. This situation is far to dangerous for such frivolities.

Ridai
2014-12-05, 10:38 AM
Cyrielle nods, weapon still at the ready, and follows behind her two friends.

fendrin
2014-12-05, 09:55 PM
Wes slowly creeps down the hall to the opening of the room and takes a good look at the statues.

"Do either of you know anything about those statues?"

Ridai
2014-12-06, 08:13 AM
"What statues?"

fendrin
2014-12-06, 08:37 AM
Wes points the statues.

"There, in the corners."

OOC:
They're marked on the map that Arjen posted in the OOC thread.

Here's Wes' rolls on a couple likely Knowledge checks to see if he happens to recognize them:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] Well then, maybe he does...

Ridai
2014-12-06, 08:42 AM
Cyrielle takes a closer look at the statues.

Arcana [roll0]
Nature [roll1]
History [roll2]
Religion [roll3]
Investigation [roll4]

Arjen the Red
2014-12-06, 02:33 PM
The statues are made of some sort of highly polished glass, each one depicting an elven god. They sit upon pedestals as high as your waist. The statue in the southeast of the room has both hands out stretched as if asking for something.

L 12

Ridai
2014-12-08, 04:23 PM
"Let's continue our search. Maybe we'll find more hints about these," Cyrielle suggests, indicating the western corridor.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-08, 05:22 PM
Studying the statues more closely, you realize that they are depicting four ancient Yuir gods. In the northeast corner is Relkah of the infinite branches, in the southeast corner is Magnar the Bear, in the southwest corner is Elikarashae, and in the northwest corner is Zandilar the dancer.

As Cyri crosses the threshold into the western corridor she feels a slight shift in the vines beneath her feet.

fendrin
2014-12-08, 05:55 PM
Wes follows close behind Cyri as they head into the western corridor.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-08, 06:35 PM
Just as soon as Cyri steps past the threshold into the corridor the vines loosen almost instantaneously. The ground gives out beneath Wes and Sherlock and they both begin to fall into the pit below.

DEX saving throw please.

Map updated to show the location of the pit trap in brown.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-09, 08:01 AM
As the floor gives out the vines seem to push Cyri out of the way. Wes and Sherlock though are not so lucky. They both tumble down into the pit with a crash.

Two points of damage, but you luckily stay on your feet.

Sherlock and Wes quickly right themselves and survey the scene. Upon their feet are the twisted vines that once served as the floor. The space is roughly ten feet by 15 feet and almost ten feet high. It seems deathly still for a moment but then a slight acrid tang reaches your nose as thousands of inch-long, iridescent green ants boil out of numerous small holes on the east side of the pit!

fendrin
2014-12-09, 08:33 AM
"Oh, this cannot be good! Climb!"

Wes gives Sherlock a boost up, then grabs the vines and begins to climb up himself.

[roll0] to boost Sherlock
[roll1] to climb

Ridai
2014-12-09, 08:43 AM
Cursing her weak muscles, Cyrielle wraps one arm in a root and grips it tightly while reaching into the pit with her other to help her friends up.

(Aid Another?)

Arjen the Red
2014-12-09, 12:46 PM
Sherlock reaches up with his free hand and grabs tightly onto the half-elf's outstretched arm. Cyri pulls with all her might and gets the gnome up over the edge onto his stomach, but leaving his legs dangling into the pit. As Wes climbs up his head slams into the gnome's feet and his grip on the vines loosens. He slides back down a few feet as the ants descend upon him. Their mandibles pierce into his calves with a stinging sensation that felt like hot coals placed upon his skin. He kicks his legs violently sending most of the ants flying.

Wes takes 2 points of piercing damage.

The ants continue to glow their mesmerizing green color. Cyri stares feeling almost unable to look away.

CON save DC 10 for Cyri or be mesmerized by the swarm until the next turn.

Ridai
2014-12-09, 03:18 PM
Trying to pull the fumbling Sherlock away from the pit, Cyrielle thrusts her arm down toward Wes right after, trying not to be overcome by the feeling threatening to wrap her mind in a cotton layer.

Con [roll0]

fendrin
2014-12-09, 07:36 PM
With a howl of pain, Wes, leaps up, grabs the vines and pulls himself up.

[spoiler=ooc][roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-12-10, 08:09 AM
Cyri shakes her head and focuses to pull Wes from the depths of the pit. The fighter comes barreling up over the edge. The ants continue your swarm towards the three of you. They reach Sherlock's legs and begin biting viciously. The poor gnome curls up into the fetal position rolling from side to side to crush the ants as best he can.

Sherlock takes 3 points of damage and is left prone until the next round.

1. Cyri
2. Wes
3. Ants
4. Sherlock

Ridai
2014-12-10, 08:14 AM
Cyrielle can't do much other than to pull Sherlock further away from the swarm. They could try to stomp, but that would only make it easier for the vermin to swarm them.

fendrin
2014-12-10, 10:12 AM
Wes starts swatting the swarm of ants with his buckler, trying to squish as many as possible with each blow.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-10, 10:34 AM
As Sherlock is pulled he stands upright and begins chanting frantically in gnomish. His arms reach high over his head and small wisps of red begin jumping from his fingertips. He yells out loudly a final word and thrusts his hands out towards the pit and the swarm of ants. Cyri and Wes are almost blinded by the light produced as a ball of flame as wide as the corridor erupts forth and smothers the ants. The crackling sound of insect hides exploding fills your ears. And just like that, as the flames died down, it is quiet again. The peaceful green aura is replaced by the blackened charred remains of the ants.

"I hate ants!" Sherlock says winking at the both of you.

Ridai
2014-12-11, 07:33 AM
A moment is needed to catch her breath after the sudden panic and exertion. Channelling her magic, Cyrielle heals Sherlock's wounds. "That was my last healing spell. We might be able to handle another fight or trap, but anything beyond..." She shakes her head.

Steadying herself, she guides the group further down the corridor.

fendrin
2014-12-11, 01:38 PM
Wes takes up the rearguard position, checking behind them periodically to make sure they were not take unaware from the rear.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-11, 10:04 PM
You head south down a short corridor that quickly opens up into a wide room. The floor is almost completely covered in a shallow wading pool of crystal clear water. Something feels reassuring about this room, welcoming even. This feeling lasts for only a brief moment as you look to the far south eastern corner and see a young elven woman clad in a garment of leaves and flowers laying down on her side. She lifts her head weakly when you step into the room and lets is fall back down into her outstretched arms. You quickly realize you've seen this face before. It is the same haunting face you saw when leaving Halendos!

Ridai
2014-12-12, 01:35 AM
Abandoning care, Cyrielle rushes to the young woman's side. "Are you wounded? How did you get here?" she asks, at the same time looking for indications of harm done to her and pulling one of the potions found out of her bag.

Arjen the Red
2014-12-12, 07:43 AM
As Cyri rushes through the pool to approach the young elven woman she feels a sudden surge of vigor as the water splashes up gently onto her legs.

The elven woman looks up with a weak smile and places her right hand on Cyri's bent knee. "My time in this world is almost at an end," she says, in a feeble voice. "I've been away from my tree for far too long. My life force is all but faded now." She looks towards the door to the east behind her and then looks back at you crestfallen. "The corruption. It must be stopped.

Ridai
2014-12-12, 08:02 AM
"Don't say that. We can get you back to your tree, then fix this. The pixies are waiting for you, they haven't been corrupted yet. Don't give up now. Don't you want to see the forest recover?"

Arjen the Red
2014-12-12, 10:46 AM
"No, it is too late. I came to stop the corruption but became trapped when the temple returned to the Feywild at dawn. Even if you took me now, I would not make the trip." Her eyes trail to the door behind her again.

"The cult of Voldini is trying to bring back the old Yuir gods. They must be stopped. The heart of the temple is just beyond this room, a tree with three trunks wrapping around each other. If you take the last of my life force in this crystal and place it in the tree it should be enough to purify it and return things to normal. Please, there is no other way. I beg of you!" She pulls a small blue-green crystal from her robes and holds it in her palms.