PDA

View Full Version : Assist my Rogue/Actor concept

zeek0
2014-10-30, 04:43 PM
Hello all,

I am currently imagining a character and because all of you know so much more than me, I am looking for some assistance/suggestions/critique.

I am wondering if any of you know of other options I have missed. More specifically, I'd like to know if Roofwalker is a good feat choice and which Attribute spread I should choose.

General
Race: Changeling
Motivations: Achievement / Stimulation
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Appearance: Changeling, favors a half-elf appearance
Class: Rogue (Martial UA variant) + Changeling Substitution Levels; Cabinet Trickster (RoE) at levels 7-11
Skills: Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy, Tumble, Balance, Perform (Act), Jump,

Concept
He grew up the child of two realist Changelings, who value their shapechanging ability and racial heritage. his parents seek to find their true selves, and to that purpose they live in a Changeling community.

Growing up in a commune of sorts, he was exposed to a quality education on a variety of subjects, including the classics. Applying his racial traits to the art of drama, he realized that there may not be a ‘true self’ to discover that his parents seek for. And so disillusioned by this thought and out of his love of theater he apprenticed himself to a travelling acting troupe at the age of 17.

It was in this setting, roving from town to town, that he gained knowledge of the profession. he found that there was subtle difference between characters on stage and the characters in the real world.

In the Eberron setting he would have ties to House Phiarlan, but likely has little knowledge of their covert operations.

Inspirations: Player from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead;

So: why adventure?

“I have realized that I am solely defined by the part I play. I cannot extricate the actor from the character, so therefore all I might do is choose the bit I play out.

An individual must choose a primary course - and mine is that of the adventurer. It is said that ‘All the world’s a stage’ and ‘Look on every exit being an entrance somewhere else.’ So the world is my stage, and I’ll play any part I wish. For this time I will play the part of the hero, rescuing and dashing and conquering. I can use my natural ability in stage combat for this task.

Admittedly I am performative. Who am I underneath the act? I say I am only the reveler in the act.

Others might say that I really do wish to do good. That I truly enjoy showcasing my abilities, and that I live for the audience; that I would do much less if there was no crowd to please. That I earnestly wish to be a hero, and my choice in the part is simply a way to view my real-world actions.”

Feat Selection
1 Dodge
Mobility

2 Weapon Finesse

3 Roofwalker (CityScape)

4 Combat Panache (PHII)

6 Persona Immersion (RoE)
Two Weapon Fighting

8 Quick Change (RoE)(Cabinet Trickster PrC)

9 Improved Two Weapon Fighting

10 Disturbing Visage (ROE)(Cabinet Trickster PrC)

12 Elusive Target (CW)

Attributes (assume 28 point buy)
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 16
or
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 16

Thanks for your help!

gorfnab
2014-10-30, 05:15 PM
Some build modification ideas:
Changeling Martial Rogue 1/ Hexblade 3/ Rogue 1/ Warshaper 1/ Cabinet Trickster 1/ Mind Spy 1/ (insert remaining levels of Warshaper, Cabinet Trickster, and Mindspy here in whatever order you want)

Changeling Factotum 5/ Mindspy 1/ Warshaper 1/ Cabinet Trickster 1/ (insert remaining levels of Warshaper, Cabinet Trickster, and Mindspy here in whatever order you want)

Roofwalker is an extremely situational feat. If your campaign is based around city and second story work then it may have a place. Otherwise Roofwalker is a waste of three perfectly good feat slots (Dodge and Mobility are fairly subpar in most circumstances, however they are sadly prereqs for other much better feats).

If you're maxing out Intimidate consider the feat Imperious Command and the skill trick Never Outnumbered.

zeek0
2014-10-30, 06:14 PM
Some build modification ideas:
Changeling Martial Rogue 1/ Hexblade 3/ Rogue 1/ Warshaper 1/ Cabinet Trickster 1/ Mind Spy 1/ (insert remaining levels of Warshaper, Cabinet Trickster, and Mindspy here in whatever order you want)

Changeling Factotum 5/ Mindspy 1/ Warshaper 1/ Cabinet Trickster 1/ (insert remaining levels of Warshaper, Cabinet Trickster, and Mindspy here in whatever order you want)

Roofwalker is an extremely situational feat. If your campaign is based around city and second story work then it may have a place. Otherwise Roofwalker is a waste of three perfectly good feat slots (Dodge and Mobility are fairly subpar in most circumstances, however they are sadly prereqs for other much better feats).

If you're maxing out Intimidate consider the feat Imperious Command and the skill trick Never Outnumbered.

Thanks! I'll take a look at all of those.

I chose Roofwalker because I was already going to get Dodge and Mobility for Elusive Target, and that seemed to fit as well as any. But I may consider Imperious command instead!