PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Employment Sentry Traps (REST)

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2007-03-20, 04:42 PM
So I was playing Diablo 2 a lot lately, and I thought of trying to make some portable traps like the ones Assassins use for D&D. This is what I have come up with:

Rapid Employment Sentry Traps (REST)

Developed by artificers and favoured by rogues and others on the run, this portable trap can be planted into the ground and will automatically attack the nearest enemy that comes within its range until its ammunition runs out. There are two types of RESTs, Lesser and Greater.

A lesser REST is a modified Repeating Light Crossbow that is mounted on a telescopic unipod with a spike on the bottom and 4 legs that stabilize it [like a microphone stand, basically. Don't know what the tecnhical term for it is]. It's overall height is 3 feet and it weighs 10 pounds. The crossbow can hold and fire eiter 5 crossbow bolts (1d8 piercing, crit of 19-20x2 and has a range of 80 feet.), 3 chakrams (1d6 slashing, crit of 18-20x2 and has a range of 60 feet) or 1 net (range of 20 feet). Regardless of the ammunition, the REST has an attack bonus of +5.
The REST has a DC 20 Disable Device check in order to retrieve it after it has been deployed.
*Note* All ammunition, but not the crossbow itself, can be enchanted.

A greater REST has replaced the crossbow with a 2 foot long metal tube that has a focusing crystal on the back end. Instead of firing ammunition, this RESt will hold and fire arcane spells of 5th level or lower. Each REST can hold 5 spells at a time, and once they are all discharged they can have 5 more spells stored in it. The only spells they can store are ranged damage dealing spells (like Fireball, the Orb spells, etc). Metamagic feats can be applied to the spells when they are being stored provided they are within the 5th level limit. All saves and attack bonuses are the same as the mage that put the spell in the REST at the time of casting.

Alternately, a wand can be fitted into the REST and used instead of spells, although the REST eats up charges at a rate of 5 charges for 1 use. The wand is limited to the same restrictions as above. A DC 25 Disable Device check is required to retrieve the REST after it has been deployed.

These are meant to be semi disposable, and I have not figured out the price or the requirements to make them, or their HP and hardness. That will be another day's work. So, what do you guys think?

Fizban
2007-03-20, 09:40 PM
Races of the dragon has what you need: the wondrous item Folding Trap, and a spell that creates a trap. The folding traps cost about twice normal and require some common sense factor (no portable flooding rooms), and the spell only comes in level one version, but they're there.

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2007-03-21, 01:54 PM
Races of the dragon has what you need: the wondrous item Folding Trap, and a spell that creates a trap. The folding traps cost about twice normal and require some common sense factor (no portable flooding rooms), and the spell only comes in level one version, but they're there.

Oh. Well, I feel silly now.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-21, 06:18 PM
See Also Combat Trapsmith from Complete Scoundrel. The main class ability is the ability to place small, specialized traps in single rounds.