PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of mystra feat. [3.5]

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-30, 05:43 PM
Is this feat worth taking on a cleric build? (on a scale of 1-10) how awesome it?

What kind of stuff can you make out of anyspell?

eggynack
2014-10-30, 05:51 PM
Probably a 10 in terms of awesome. It's a feat often referred to as "cheater of mystra" for a reason, mostly due to the casting in AMF's and dead magic zones thing. Even with just that, it'd likely be worth taking. On top of that, you get (greater) anyspell stuff, which means adding spells like alter self, silent image, charm person, web, rope trick, and even invisibility. So much versatility right there. The greater version adds even more awesome, with stuff like polymorph, teleport, contact other plane, and even stuff like solid fog. That's all in core too. Out of core has stuff like frigging celerity. 10 seems like a very justified rating.

Ansem
2014-10-30, 06:00 PM
Nice spells, get a way to use your domain slots (domain powers are usually awesome but not all levels are great), you get to cast in null-magic like AMF and dead magic zones, the casters bane and you are telling it to eat **** (just persist AMF on yourself and even without selective you will beat the Wizard and Sorcerer to **** for whacking him with your heavy mace whilst your divine power still rocks on).
The question is not, should I take the Initiate of Mystra feat but more, do I really need this feat to meet a prereq so bad I am missing out on THIS?!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-10-30, 06:15 PM
On a scale of 1-10, I'd put it at 11. The prerequisites are almost non-existent, everything it gives you is useful, and you can cast spells in an Antimagic Field or a dead magic area, including one you cast yourself.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-30, 08:52 PM
The only downside to the feat is that most DMs will refuse to let you use it unless it's a game where everyone is trying to break everything into tiny little pieces. It's *too* good. By a *mile*. It's in the same category as Circle Magic/Fairy Mysteries Initiate/Undead Tainted Scholar. Ask yourself if you want to be the player who is better than the rest of the party put together because you used the cheat code.

eggynack
2014-10-30, 08:58 PM
The only downside to the feat is that most DMs will refuse to let you use it unless it's a game where everyone is trying to break everything into tiny little pieces. It's *too* good. By a *mile*. It's in the same category as Circle Magic/Fairy Mysteries Initiate/Undead Tainted Scholar. Ask yourself if you want to be the player who is better than the rest of the party put together because you used the cheat code.
I wouldn't really put faerie mysteries initiate, with its reasonably large HP bonuses, in the same category of borkedness as any of these things.

FearlessGnome
2014-10-30, 10:21 PM
Yeah ok, you're right. I just wrote the first few insta-banned things I could think of.