PDA

View Full Version : Shadowfire Plague [IC]

tyriuth
2014-10-30, 08:24 PM
Telerit had, for the past few months, been suffering from a plague that had found its way into the slums. Several hundred had died, while a thousand of the inhabitants had fallen ill. It was enough for the lord of the town to have a vested interest in preventing further outspread, especially since his youngest daughter had fallen ill.

The locals had termed it the Shadowfire plague for two reasons:
1) Those who fell ill were marked with burn marks upon their skin.
2) The eyes of the dead turned black and lifeless shortly after death.

Melina was looking desperate for the cure as one of her children had fallen ill. With much collaboration with the apothecary tasked with finding a cure, it was found that the Shadowfire Plague was magical in nature and that the source would need to be found to restore health to those fallen ill and to prevent others getting sick. So she had begun to gather up a group together to help her in this regard. In his search for his past, Lurgh had come to Telerit. It was said that one librarian had found interest in the Orc tribes of the continent, and had detailed accounts on all the tribes. However, upon arriving; he found the librarian ill with the strange plague that had begun to ravage the city. His desire to search out his past pushed him to team up with the group of people who were to head into the water system. A series of underground tunnels served as aqueducts to provide fresh water across the city, but it was suspected that it had been contaminated. He was among the first to join Melina.

Curiosity had begun to creep into Oak's mind. He had been away from civilization for some time and longed for more company that Gunther, his elephant companion. The trees were worried, and they passed this feeling on to Oak, and he felt pushed to help cure this plague for the sake of what effect it might have upon the world at large. Ellie, a quiet bookish type who usually spent much of her time in the town's library, had found herself pushed into joining the growing group which sought to find the origin for this plague. Magical talent was difficult to spare in Telerit; the other mages were either occupied with tasks of greater importance, or they were not experienced enough to provide the assistance required.

It was then, that the four unlikely companions found themselves sitting in the back room of a tavern, mugs of ale and beer sat nearby as they planned how they would head into the Warren - the underground series of tunnels that fed the water system of the town.

Theprettiestorc
2014-11-05, 08:29 PM
"...so, this is a form of transmutation. I believe that if we can find the caster responsible for messing with the water, and figure out exactly what this is, it should be a small matter of reversing the spell. I suspect that there's an alchemical component involved, as well, but...ah...it's not exactly my strong suit..." Hugging Speedy the turtle to her, the small rat is slightly slouched in her seat, and behind her glasses, her eyes are somewhat bloodshot. She hasn't slept in days - mostly, she's been at the library, trying to research what this was, and finding nothing. "...the other problem is that we're going into some rather dank tunnels, and if there's someone using magic on the people up here, they could easily be guarding a lair, or...other creatures could be much worse, and the plague affects them differently. Then there's the danger of contracting it ourselves, and we might die before we get there, or..." She squeaks pitifully, retreating a bit further into her hood. Just so many dangers, and no idea what they're up against. Her wine is mostly untouched for the moment, because she likes to have her mind clear when she's trying to focus. "...could be anything..."

Savior
2014-11-06, 08:18 AM
Oak

The stout dwarf gobbled up his entire plate wanting seconds and thirds. The ale and lager flowed like an endless decanter for him all night. In his haste to drink, he even took the others alcohol at times, more than not he drank the shy rat lady's cup. He said not a word all night, about personal things or the mission/job. He ate and drank, sand a few songs that came from his drunken roots, and then ate more. When he sang, Gunter in the alley outside sang with him, the couple being tethered by the soul, and having a bond no wall could break.

Son_of_Meepo
2014-11-06, 03:05 PM
Lurgh enjoyed the food and drink, taking time to savor the flavors. Compared to a monastic diet that consisted mostly of fish, rice, and clean water, even casual tavern food was unique to him.

"I do not think I will have much trouble with the underground tunnels. I should be able to see just fine. How about the rest of you?"

OOC: Do we know anything about the tunnels? Is there any sort of check that would be appropriate?

Sartharina
2014-11-08, 02:56 AM
Lady Hawkstar listened intently to the rodent's ramblings. The idea of traipsing through sewers did not appeal to the feline noblewoman - her usual slippers, resembling a classy set of high heels without the heel support, were certainly unsuited for such environments!

"Don't worry about any person standing against us," She purred, waving her left hand dismissively and flaunting the scar on her palm. "My skill with my words is only exceeded by my skill with my sword." Her blade itself was kept nearby - a long, slender curved blade of unmatched craftsmanship, with its grip wrapped in scarlet cloth matching her elaborate, armored gown.

The concerns about catching the disease were the darkest to the feline woman - she secretly feared that, with an ill child currently under quarantine, she and the rest of her family may be carriers for the disease. At least the uncouth, and untalkative dwarf kept her mind from lingering too long on the shadow over the city and her family - and if she had seen correctly, he also had quite an exotic companion just outside.

Returning to her glass of wine, she nodded to Lurgh, taking a sip while indicating she would respond in a moment. After finishing and clearing her throat, she nodded, "Unfortunately, if it is indeed dark, I shall need to bring illumination. Not that I ever care for skulking around in the dark."

Theprettiestorc
2014-11-08, 06:16 AM
"You don't understand, though - creatures are a thing, and yeah, they're...well, you can use your sword all you like, depending. If something or someone is commanding them, though, I don't think they'll be happy to be found. Now, I don't...doubt anyone's skills..." She takes a breath. "...b-but you know...maybe we should recruit just a bit more, if we can? I'm not a magician." Erm. She fiddles with the corner of her hood. "...well, I mean...I practice magic, and I'm a wizard, but it doesn't mean I can magically fix the situation...or, well, maybe I can, and it's an easy enough magical solution...I transmute, too, so what's this guy got on me, huh? Probably...size, and talent, and resources, and cohorts, and this is a slightly bad idea maybe I shouldn't go, but they'll probably need me, and I have to help, an Ellie continues muttering to herself, not noting nor caring, likely, that her wine has been drained on her. She's a nervous, squeaky wreck at the moment.

Savior
2014-11-08, 02:44 PM
Oak

The Short man slammed his tankard onto the table, lushing out of a strong song for a mere moment of history. The first words he spoke since joining the far-fetched crew. "Yer never to tell a dwarf he's incapable of handing himself in a fight, or handling liquor, understood Mousey? A dwarf's stature is short, but might his is one true strength. Be it in a fight, or in life, dwarves are never to doubt themselves." With a solid nod of his head, and a loud roar from Gunter outside, the four foot three inch high man began to chug on his ale once more, resuming to his silent, but cheery self.

He had listened to everyone just fine, but refused to input on anything other than what concerned himself. Being alone taught him the value of actions instead of words. Animals don't care how silver your tongue is, only how caliced your hand is.

tyriuth
2014-11-12, 02:58 AM
The Innkeep's wife comes in occasionally to fill mugs and clear plates, bringing in more food for the Dwarf whom it seems has a bottomless stomach.

An town official comes in with a bundle of maps and papers. "Here are the things you requested Ellie; a maps of the sewers and waterways of the eastern quarter." He clears a spot on the table and dumps the pile there before heading off, obviously in quite a hurry.

Theprettiestorc
2014-11-12, 10:27 AM
Broken from her worried muttering, Ellie looks up and smiles. "O-Oh! Thank you, sir! This helps a lot!" She waves him off, smile fading as she sees him hurrying. The city's so busy and on edge, as of late...either way, she looks over the rolls now, opening one up. Alright, so... "...so, um...if we figure out where the first cases popped up, we might figure out where that water came from, and if we do, we could save a bunch of time wandering around down there and get to the source. I still say we need an alchemist, though, s-so...if you know anyone else..." She's slowly becoming fully-engrossed in her studies, which is calming her nerves. She's always much better with something to read, or focus on.