PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric magic items? (3.5)

Qwertystop
2014-10-30, 11:02 PM
I'm building a character for a game on these forums, and as usual, the hardest part is the gear (7th level WBL). It's a bit more difficult this time because I'm playing an Ozodrin - basically, freeform/modular shapeshifting. Don't need armor (and probably couldn't wear it for more than a few minutes straight anyway), don't need weapons because of plenty of natural attacks, don't need extradimensional storage because extradimensional stomach (it'd be more of an issue if I was planning to eat enemies, since I wouldn't want them getting my loot, but I'm going ranged-focused)...

I've spent 8000 gp on two +2 items (Charisma and Dexterity), another 6000 on an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1, and then 900 on a Gray Bag of Tricks in case I want a snack. While I'm sure there's some way I could get a bunch more useful boosts, I'm not sure I want them - this feels like enough combat competence for someone whose main focus is not combat. Hence (unless there's something really useful that I'm missing), I'm looking for any ideas for eccentric magic items to pick out.

tl;dr: This character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1044059) has 4,100 extra gold and wants weird stuff. Check the backstory for a general idea of the sort of weird.

Darrin
2014-10-31, 10:33 AM
tl;dr: This character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1044059) has 4,100 extra gold and wants weird stuff. Check the backstory for a general idea of the sort of weird.

Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP, DMG) is great for throwing a lot of curveballs at the DM, but that would suck up almost all of your available cash. Hat of Disguise (1800 GP, DMG) is also good for a few "this plan is so crazy it might just work" moments, but you might have that covered already via shapeshifting. However, shapeshifting doesn't always cover wardrobe changes, so consider a Vestment of Many Styles (500 GP, Races of Eberron) or Shiftweave (500 GP, MIC).

I see you've already got a bag of tricks, but you might want to consider upgrading to rust, which includes four medium animals that can threaten/flank. Or if you want to specialize in social engineering, trade in the bag to get ahold of a Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP, DMG).

Some choice picks from MIC: Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP), Talisman of the Disk (500 GP), Amulet of Elusive Action (800 GP), the ever-popular Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP), (Hammersphere (1500 GP), Scout's Headband (3400 GP), or Stormfire Ring (4000 GP).

Qwertystop
2014-10-31, 11:44 AM
Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP, DMG) is great for throwing a lot of curveballs at the DM, but that would suck up almost all of your available cash. Hat of Disguise (1800 GP, DMG) is also good for a few "this plan is so crazy it might just work" moments, but you might have that covered already via shapeshifting. However, shapeshifting doesn't always cover wardrobe changes, so consider a Vestment of Many Styles (500 GP, Races of Eberron) or Shiftweave (500 GP, MIC).

I see you've already got a bag of tricks, but you might want to consider upgrading to rust, which includes four medium animals that can threaten/flank. Or if you want to specialize in social engineering, trade in the bag to get ahold of a Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP, DMG).

Some choice picks from MIC: Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP), Talisman of the Disk (500 GP), Amulet of Elusive Action (800 GP), the ever-popular Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP), (Hammersphere (1500 GP), Scout's Headband (3400 GP), or Stormfire Ring (4000 GP).

Pigments would be an interesting option, actually.

I actually have a feat for shapeshifting to cover clothing - Organic Outfit. Not actually clothing, but there's plenty of answers to an attempted stripping - for example, growing three extra arms to slap whoever's impudent enough to try.

Upgrading the bag is not happening, because then it wouldn't work for snacks.

The others are great, but unfortunately don't fit the character very well...

...and the scales tip. Circlet's too good to justify keeping the snackbag.

daremetoidareyo
2014-11-01, 01:14 AM
quals feather token: tree: it will save your life one day. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Feather_Token (check it out) wand of lessor vigor, blockade, benign transposition are all nice too.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-01, 01:20 AM
Maybe save up for a pale lavender ioun stone?