PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder If you were a Samsaran with 20 INT, what 6 spells would you add to the Occultist?

Chaosvii7
2014-10-31, 03:06 AM
I'm looking at Occult Adventures and I'm really digging the Occultist and what it brings to the table. I want to make one and I was contemplating making it a Samsaran, figuring that the Mystic Past Life racial trait would seriously help the versatility factor of the class by adding in spells for all occasions. So I thought I'd get opinions on the matter to see what spells you think would be most valuable for upping the potential of the Occultist. Anybody willing to weigh in on what 6 spells I should take if I were to do this?

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-31, 05:21 AM
The spells must be the same type (arcane or divine) as the spellcasting class you're adding them to.

I'm not sure this works. You don't get a spellcasting class ability as an Occultist, you get to Bind Spirits and gain a bunch of supernatural abilities. The Samsaran doesn't give you the ability to cast spells, it just adds spells known to the list from which you can draw.

Perhaps you can correct me, you have likely been studying these options in more detail. You could probably get around this by playing a cross-classes Wizard/Occultist or something similar.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-31, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure this works. You don't get a spellcasting class ability as an Occultist, you get to Bind Spirits and gain a bunch of supernatural abilities. The Samsaran doesn't give you the ability to cast spells, it just adds spells known to the list from which you can draw.

Perhaps you can correct me, you have likely been studying these options in more detail. You could probably get around this by playing a cross-classes Wizard/Occultist or something similar.

I think you might be confusing the Occultist with the Medium. The Medium doesn't cast spells but functions like a 3.5 Binder, but the Occultist is it's own class; A partial(6th level) caster whose spell list is determined by their choice of Implements. Each choice of implement gives you access to spells of a particular school of magic.

You do make a good point regarding Psychic Spells, though: They are their own kind of spell, and while there are spells that are simply psychic spells, it appears that a good number of arcane and divine spells are also considered psychic ones. This might require waiting until the full release for clarification, but right now there are spells that appear on a combination of arcane/divine and psychic lists.

So I guess I can only take spells that the other Occult Adventures classes use as psychic spells. Kind of does hamper the effectiveness of the option but I'm sure somebody could take the selection available and add a layer of power to the Occultist.

stack
2014-10-31, 06:22 AM
I believe the confusion was actually between radiance house's 3pp Occultist and the new occult adventures occultist from paizo, the op referring to the later.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-31, 07:32 AM
My apologies. Only have SRD access here, and I cannot seem to find an online version of the Occult Adventures Occultist. The info online I have come across is very bare bones.

Lacking more info about what spells you have available, I can't really offer any advice without sounding stupid.

Der_DWSage
2014-10-31, 07:55 AM
Well...a huge part of this relies on what Implement you're intending to take as an Occultist, as you want spells that will shore up what you're weak at. Also remember that you have to take spells of the same type, so you're limited to only pulling from the Psychic, Mesmerist, and Spiritualist. That said...

Assuming you're starting at low level (3 or less) and took Conjuration as one of your implement, (Because it's an excellent one for low levels) I'd probably add from the Mesmerist list.

1st:Color Spray, Command
2nd:Blindness/Deafness OR Suggestion, depending on implement choices.
3rd:Dispel Magic (Freeing your abjuration up to take Protection from Elements.)
4th:Shadow Conjuration (Please and THANK you, finally some utility.)
5th:Shadow Evocation

You need a little more selection at low levels, so I'd recommend not having something based on will saves from your Occultist. I also didn't select anything from 6th level-that's intentional, as not only do most of my games not go that high (And thus I have little business giving you advice at that level) but your spell list is finally expanded enough that you can feel comfortable with it.

That said, an easy thing to miss-you only get one spell per spell level from each implement. So be careful with what spells you select there as well.

Chaosvii7
2014-10-31, 07:59 AM
My apologies. Only have SRD access here, and I cannot seem to find an online version of the Occult Adventures Occultist. The info online I have come across is very bare bones.

Lacking more info about what spells you have available, I can't really offer any advice without sounding stupid.

It's all a part of their playtest document for the book. Give it a read, it's got good flavor throughout most of it.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/occultAdventuresPlaytest