PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Interesting reward for my player

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 04:43 AM
In the campaign I'm running, I'm about to hand out to the players some fairly major rewards. I want these to be interesting, useful things that you couldn't just buy - unique items created just for them. I've got most of the things I want to give them, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the Barbarian. I've got an idea, but I wanted to get the Playground's thoughts on balance and such, and opinions on whether it's a good idea.

The party are currently level 6. My thought:

+1 Large Brutal Greataxe

Brutal: Whenever the user of this weapon charges, successfully scores a critical hit, or drops an opponent, all opponents within 20ft of him must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 BAB+Str mod) or be Shaken. Further fear effects will not escalate this.

If the user drops an enemy with a critical hit, all opponents within 20ft must instead save or become Frightened. Again, further fear effects will not escalate this.

Know(Nothing)
2014-10-31, 04:58 AM
That seems pretty fun! Make sure to include language indicating that if the enemies are already shaken, this will not escalate it further, if that's what you want. Fear-stacking is all about what order you do it in.

If you don't mind those two effects hitting someone who is already shaken and taking them to frightened or panicked, that's still fine, just keep it in mind.

Also you may want to indicate how long the effects last.

Nobot
2014-10-31, 05:33 AM
If you're using 3.5x, you could consider an axe that prolongs or intensifies rage on every hit/kill.

Brutal sounds fun too!

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-31, 07:40 AM
With a daily limit of 3 or so, I would think it a fine +1 enhancement. Without daily limit, I think it a great +2. If a +3 weapon is what you are going for, then great.

I would also make it adimantium or some other special material. Pandemonic Silver if you really want to give him something nice.

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 07:49 AM
You think it'll go off enough, given thata greataxe only crits on a 20? And what do you think of the save DC?

georgie_leech
2014-10-31, 08:39 AM
You think it'll go off enough, given thata greataxe only crits on a 20? And what do you think of the save DC?

Save DC seems reasonable enough, scaling without being unstoppable. In terms of how often it goes off, well, you do have it activating on charges... :smalltongue:

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-31, 09:03 AM
And he is main melee. He will be killing things in close combat with it fairly frequently. Frightened is a harsh condition. I would think you should avoid having it show up every combat.

How long does the shaken condition last? That is something I don't see in your description.

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 09:04 AM
And he is main melee. He will be killing things in close combat with it fairly frequently. Frightened is a harsh condition. I would think you should avoid having it show up every combat.

How long does the shaken condition last? That is something I don't see in your description.

Frightened only shows up if he kills something with a critical hit. That's not going to be every combat. And I'm not sure - what's a good duration? 1d4+1 rounds? Longer?

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-31, 09:18 AM
1d4+1 sounds good.

ILM
2014-10-31, 09:31 AM
It's basically a variant Dreadful Wrath feat, doesn't sound insane. What's the duration on the shaken/frightened condition? (for reference, DW is 1 min)

I'd leave the save DC at 10+1/2 HD+Cha. For a melee type BAB is basically HD, and HD is more customary (plus less prone to abuse - what happens if you tank your BAB but get a skillful weapon? Or if there's a Warchanter in the area?). Personally I'd prefer leaving it keyed to Cha, and perhaps compensate by including full-attacks in the triggering conditions and/or letting it escalate. Basically he'll scare off all the low-level mooks, but shouldn't really challenge the bosses - but that's really more up to your personal preference.

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 09:40 AM
He has a Cha of 6 :P

I was picturing it as carving into the opponents so brutally that everyone around just gets unnerved, which really doesn't have anything to do with Cha. And yeah, I don't want to key it off Cha because that makes it really not very useful for him. And means that the warlock will be able to frighten more people with it than he can, which really makes no sense.

ILM
2014-10-31, 09:47 AM
And means that the warlock will be able to frighten more people with it than he can, which really makes no sense.
I see your point, but then so would a wizard with Str 6 and no proficiency but a few more levels (and a deathwish, but that's not the point :p). Maybe a fixed DC then? But I assume you want it to scale...

Eh, you know what, who cares. It's your game, the sword isn't going to break and it's all good as long as everyone's having fun. Forget I said anything, stick with 10+1/2 BAB+Str :).

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 09:53 AM
I'm also a bit stuck for an item for the Druid. My best idea so far is a Necklace of Natural Attacks with Vampiric on it (every attack does an extra 1d4 damage, you heal that much), but that's not that interesting. The other players all seem to have got weapons (or an Eldritch Blast enhancer, for the Warlock) but I'm not specifically wedded to the idea. Any good suggestions?

georgie_leech
2014-10-31, 10:00 AM
I'm also a bit stuck for an item for the Druid. My best idea so far is a Necklace of Natural Attacks with Vampiric on it (every attack does an extra 1d4 damage, you heal that much), but that's not that interesting. The other players all seem to have got weapons (or an Eldritch Blast enhancer, for the Warlock) but I'm not specifically wedded to the idea. Any good suggestions?

Depends on the style of druid. An interesting item for a summoner that sits back and commands the forces of nature, motivated by a desire to protect and preserve the wilds, would be considerably different than a wildshaper that charges into bloody battle, determined to impose survival of the fittest, you know?

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 10:06 AM
Depends on the style of druid. An interesting item for a summoner that sits back and commands the forces of nature, motivated by a desire to protect and preserve the wilds, would be considerably different than a wildshaper that charges into bloody battle, determined to impose survival of the fittest, you know?

Difficult to say. It's a new player, and despite their having played from levels 1 to 6, I've not really got much of a handle on how she wants to play it. I know she likes the entourage of animals, and she seemed quite interested in Wildshape. Her animal companion is a fleshraker called Steve. She's not really done much summoning - I think there's been a giant centipede at one point to be a wall of meat. She's done a fair bit of spellcasting, too. I'm really not sure.

georgie_leech
2014-10-31, 10:42 AM
Difficult to say. It's a new player, and despite their having played from levels 1 to 6, I've not really got much of a handle on how she wants to play it. I know she likes the entourage of animals, and she seemed quite interested in Wildshape. Her animal companion is a fleshraker called Steve. She's not really done much summoning - I think there's been a giant centipede at one point to be a wall of meat. She's done a fair bit of spellcasting, too. I'm really not sure.

Hm. That is tricky. Not a lot to work with; maybe something from my old homebrew stuff might be of inspiration?

This weapon appears to be an ordinary sling, slightly weathered from use. When using bullets, the Sling of the Old Faith acts as a non-magical sling in all respects. When used with acorns instead, it is considered a +2 weapon and can entangle (as the condition, not the spell) its targets. A creature struck by an acorn thrown from this sling must make a DC 14 Reflex save or be entangled for 1 round by sudden plant life sprouting from the seed. A creature so entangled can escape with a successful Strength or Escape Artist Check; such a Check has a DC of 17 and requires a Standard Action.

A small amulet apparently carved from wood in the shape of a wolf's head with sapphires for eyes. When the wearer Wild Shapes, a faint howl can be heard and their eyes begin glowing blue as the spirit of the wild takes over. While Wild Shaped into an Animal or Magical Beast, the Wildheart Clasp grants a +1 enhancement bonus to any Natural Attacks normally possessed by the form taken by the wearer. In addition, the first hit with a melee Natural Attack while Wild Shaped grants a +2 Morale bonus to Strength and Constitution that last for 5 rounds. Each hit with a Melee Natural Attack while this bonus is active increases the duration by 1 round up to a maximum of 10 rounds in total. Once the wearer reaches this maximum duration, an additional successful melee Natural Attack increases the Morale bonus to +4.

I've got some other stuff stored away, but those two were the vaguely level appropriate things I had handy.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-31, 01:02 PM
An item that lets the animal companion speak might be fun for the druid. Possibly including a slight int boost so it is slightly easier to roleplay.

Could also give an item that allows using handle animal on a group of animals instead of just one (looking at the option to order them to perform a trick they know, but you could allow more)

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-31, 01:13 PM

Maybe a weird set of matching collars for her and her companion that allow her and 1/3 of her companion's HD to stack when she wild shapes? Like they morph together to make a bigger version of what she wild shapes into. Might be a good way to keep that companion from dying too if its hp get low, it can run to mama.

Sheogoroth
2014-10-31, 01:17 PM
it's a little different. What level is the player? If it's really huge, you could create a legacy item.

Aegis013
2014-10-31, 01:30 PM
I, personally, do not think that the Brutal enhancement would trigger frequently enough to be of interest in games that I have run or played. Even weapons with 18-20 crit range tend to score fewer than one critical hit per session.

This is merely my opinion, but if I was a great axe wielding Barbarian and received that axe at 6th level, I would only use it until I could afford a weapon of the same enhancement with an ability that would be more consistently useful.

I would consider making it something more like, as a swift action during a rage, you can unleash a roar 3/d to invoke the Will save, and make the Shaken condition last as long as the rage. Include that enemies must be able to see and/or hear you to be affected, give it the mind affecting and fear tags.

If you really like the on-critical hit activation, or on felling an enemy activation, you could make the escalation to Frightened based on those.

Trasilor
2014-10-31, 01:35 PM
I did something similar in my game with an "Ancestral Item".

As it reads the weapon causes all opponents to make Will save anytime she scores a Critical Hit or kills an enemy.

Given that the player is a Barbarian, this will happen quite frequently, 2-3 times per encounter. As long as you are comfortable rolling that many dice - shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Personally, I think the enemies should only make this roll once per encounter - they are either affected by this or not (like a dragon's presence). The only caveat is if she kills on a Critical Hit, then they must make another save. Those already affected should have a penalty (say -2) to the save.

The Druid is a little more complicated. Given the diversity of a druid (spellcaster, melee attacker, shape changer, animal controller) any one item will be difficult. I suggest coming up with three that speak to the core of druidism and let the player choose one.

Druidic Items I just thought of:

Improved shape changing - either more times per day or partial changes to grant natural weapon attacks

Improved spell casting - Item that mimics a domain (grants power and 1 additional spell per level). Or an item that expands her available spells (either add a spell list or add 3 spells per level from X spell list-players choice).

Improved animal companion - Allow her to have multiple animal companions - perhaps on a sliding scale (1 at full Druid level; 2 at level -4; 4 at level -8; 8 at level -12, etc). Item that increases her effective druid level for determining animal companion. Item that rewards fighting with your animal companion (+2 to AC to you and animal companion when you are fighting the same opponent, always flanking your opponent when fighting alongside animal companion, etc)

madtinker
2014-10-31, 01:43 PM
What about (for the druid), a clasp/amulet that moves their wildshape form up one size category (usable 1/day or something limited). So instead of your regular large brown bear, you get a huge brown bear.

morkendi
2014-10-31, 01:52 PM
For druid, give an amulet that has 1 fore you chose like dire bear or something. Now druid can use one of their wild shapes to turn into that or they use thier wild shape as normal. Just amulet of the bear or something.

facelessminion
2014-10-31, 04:46 PM
For your Druid, I think that there are a few potential options. I rather like the idea of a +1 vampiric amulet of natural attacks that also gives the Druid constant Speak With Animals, both helping with shifting and giving her a neat benefit for when she's dealing with critters. (Also let them know about Natural Spell if they don't already!)

Heliomance
2014-10-31, 10:13 PM
For your Druid, I think that there are a few potential options. I rather like the idea of a +1 vampiric amulet of natural attacks that also gives the Druid constant Speak With Animals, both helping with shifting and giving her a neat benefit for when she's dealing with critters. (Also let them know about Natural Spell if they don't already!)

They're all getting an innate boon as well as their item - I was planning on giving the Druid Tongue of the Sun and Moon.

Larrx
2014-11-01, 07:10 AM
Hmmm . . . you want something fun (not just numbers), and the druid seems to enjoy the animal companion. I would recommend a 1/day item that makes Steve incorporeal for ~3-4 rounds. Fun uses in and out of combat, and it can keep the AC from dying in tough situations.

Chester
2014-11-01, 07:16 AM

Wilding Clasps are nice for Druids, especially if your player has an item he'd like to use while shape changing.

Jermz
2014-11-01, 11:14 AM
Brutal: Whenever the user of this weapon charges, successfully scores a critical hit, or drops an opponent, all opponents within 20ft of him must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 BAB+Str mod) or be Shaken. Further fear effects will not escalate this.

If the user drops an enemy with a critical hit, all opponents within 20ft must instead save or become Frightened. Again, further fear effects will not escalate this.

To all those saying that the weapon won't activate enough times, it seems like it would work every time the barbarian charges - which probably will happen at least 2-3 times every combat. Add in the extra bonus of the weapon going off when someone gets killed, and this could activate several times each combat. Although, I might be wrong and the OP meant that whenever the barbarian charges + scores a crit or kills an opponent the weapon activates.

Also, I think that the save might be a little high. At 6th level, and assuming at least an 18 in STR, we're looking at a Will save of 17 - and probably more. Granted, shaken isn't an especially debilitating effect, but considering that he's probably going to be in the thick of things against other melee characters, it's pretty hard for a 5th-8th level martial character to pass that save.

That said, I think that overall, it's a good effect - especially since people who slice other people in twain while frothing at the mouth and seemingly being impervious to pain should get some goodies.

atemu1234
2014-11-01, 11:43 AM
I like the concept, but shouldn't the save DC be keyed off of charisma? I mean, it's all about the show. If you're cutting off someones head, in order to be scary, you should probably make it so the barbarian is influenced by the power of the blade into screaming a war-cry or something.

Maybe even make it intelligent! Then you could key it off the item's charisma or something.

Heliomance
2014-11-01, 01:01 PM
To all those saying that the weapon won't activate enough times, it seems like it would work every time the barbarian charges - which probably will happen at least 2-3 times every combat. Add in the extra bonus of the weapon going off when someone gets killed, and this could activate several times each combat. Although, I might be wrong and the OP meant that whenever the barbarian charges + scores a crit or kills an opponent the weapon activates.

Also, I think that the save might be a little high. At 6th level, and assuming at least an 18 in STR, we're looking at a Will save of 17 - and probably more. Granted, shaken isn't an especially debilitating effect, but considering that he's probably going to be in the thick of things against other melee characters, it's pretty hard for a 5th-8th level martial character to pass that save.

That said, I think that overall, it's a good effect - especially since people who slice other people in twain while frothing at the mouth and seemingly being impervious to pain should get some goodies.

He actually has 22 strength, more when he rages. But yeah, shaken isn't that bad, and he needs to kill someone with a crit to get frightened.

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-01, 04:16 PM
I would see randomly frightening enemies as a net downside. It means you need to position yourself so that if you frighten people, they don't bring back reinforcements. It also means that your enemy might come back at a time and/or place you don't want.