PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Campaign Idea: Majora's Mask, but on an island - Ideas for originality?

supersonic29
2014-10-31, 01:55 PM
So I've tossed around this idea for a really small yet dense campaign. Have a little, isolated island where I plan out the schedule of every member of the island for 3 or 5 days, but then as you'd see coming having played MM some sort of big world end-y type thing ends up either resetting back to day 1 or forcing someone else to do so.

I'm not attracted to this idea because it's the MM formula as much as I am because that formula allows you to really write the campaign to a t. Hour by hour notes of where everyone will be, what they're doing, thoroughly writing each character, etc.

The tricky bits are how to make it not a simple pander to MM and how to work out things such as items resetting along with time and how that interacts with the D&D player curve. I've considered that if I give a way to make gold constant as MM did and keep the campaign under level 5 that maybe I can eliminate the hard need for big gold-sinking magic items and wrap up the campaign on a short enough curve that it will be okay.

That big schpiel put out there, ideas? Criticism? Is it just a bad idea at it's core? Always love the feedback :smallsmile:

Blackhawk748
2014-10-31, 02:56 PM
Honestly this sounds like a lot of fun. As to the "losing stuff" problem, give them some small item, say a backpack, and anything that is put in said backpack will be there after the reset. Kinda like in Alan Wake with the shoe box.