PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making an encounter with a thieves guild interesting

RealMarkP
2014-10-31, 01:56 PM
I have writers block and cannot think of an interesting encounter. I could use some help with ideas...

The scene is as follows: my players need to extract some information from the thieves guild. They are stationed in a warehouse at the city docks. However, the guild was hired by another party to find and assassinate the players for various reasons. I'd like to avoid a generic smash-and-grab encounter or an ambush. Players are fairly low level. Any ideas?

Vox Nihili
2014-10-31, 02:08 PM
I have writers block and cannot think of an interesting encounter. I could use some help with ideas...

The scene is as follows: my players need to extract some information from the thieves guild. They are stationed in a warehouse at the city docks. However, the guild was hired by another party to find and assassinate the players for various reasons. I'd like to avoid a generic smash-and-grab encounter or an ambush. Players are fairly low level. Any ideas?

What's the party composition like? You could encourage them to Batman it, giving them incentives to isolate individual enemies with fear and distraction tactics. Make it clear that trying to take them on all at once would be suicidal, but give them a way to take individuals out with little effort. The last guy standing would be terrified that all of his allies are dead/unconscious/disappeared, and call out his surrender. Then get the information through interrogation.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-31, 02:10 PM
Snipers on the roof with longbows, coupled with some thugs on the ground and one or two spellcasters on the roof or the ground to do control. Something like, party enters the alleyway, wall of fire goes up behind them, and then arrows start raining.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-31, 02:13 PM
What's the party composition like? You could encourage them to Batman it, giving them incentives to isolate individual enemies with fear and distraction tactics. Make it clear that trying to take them on all at once would be suicidal, but give them a way to take individuals out with little effort. The last guy standing would be terrified that all of his allies are dead/unconscious/disappeared, and call out his surrender. Then get the information through interrogation.

Or you know, have 1970s batman appear to save the day :P

Vox Nihili
2014-11-01, 03:23 PM
Snipers on the roof with longbows, coupled with some thugs on the ground and one or two spellcasters on the roof or the ground to do control. Something like, party enters the alleyway, wall of fire goes up behind them, and then arrows start raining.

The biggest problem with that is that, depending on level, it's super easy to solve with just a simple Protection from Arrows or Wind Wall.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-01, 03:54 PM
Enemy spellcasters with dispel magic, maybe?