PDA

View Full Version : Magic Failure: Wild, Weak or Dead

Palanan
2014-10-31, 04:13 PM
I'm looking for mechanics for spell failure that would be useful in areas where local magic, whatever its form, doesn't go as planned. I'm especially interested in situations where spells do something more than just fizzle, with results ranging from spectacular to catastrophic.

Are there any sourcebooks that present options along these lines? I'm open to any official source from 3.5 or Pathfinder, including obscure setting material.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-10-31, 04:45 PM
Forgotten Realms had rules for Wild Magic Zones. I someone just got lazy and ran them as any spell cast in a Wild Magic Zone has a 30% of being resolved as per Rod of Wonder.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-10-31, 05:23 PM
Wild magic, per the dmg planar trait, is a resource easily grabbed. The expanded version in manual of the planes is a bit wilder.

Psyren
2014-10-31, 05:44 PM
Thirding the Wild Magic suggestion (rolling on tables is fun!) and also, PF has Spellblights you can add to characters when their magic goes haywire.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-10-31, 05:49 PM
Wild magic, per the dmg planar trait, is a resource easily grabbed. The expanded version in manual of the planes is a bit wilder.

Manual of the Planes is one of my top three favorite books and I forgot that Wild Magic was also a planar trait. Shame on me.