PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rules Question Regarding Archetypes

Alagos
2014-10-31, 11:39 PM
Hello all,

I've just started a new campaign with a group of friends, and had the basics of a TWF, shield bashing maneuver machine build in the works. I've been wanting to get unarmed fighting into the mix while still keeping the theme of the character, via a 1 level dip. Monk is out of the question due to RP (he's a brazen foul-mouthed Irish mercenary with little regard to law), so that leaves Brawler. Just Brawler by itself would be okay, but I wanted to somehow mix the Wild Child and Snakebite Striker archetypes into the mix, for the early animal companion and sneak attack dice from the 1 level dip. My only problem is the way the multiple archetypes clause is worded in the SRD:

A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the base class as another alternate class feature. For example, a fighter could not be both an armor master and a brawler, since both archetypes replace the weapon training 1 class feature with something different.

The main issue lies with Snakebite Striker replacing Martial Flexibility:

Sneak Attack (Ex)

At 1st level, the snakebite striker can make a sneak attack. This is as the rogue ability of the same name. At 1st level, her sneak attack damage is +1d6. This increases by 1d6 at 6th, 10th, 12th, and 20th levels. If she gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses on damage stack.

This ability replaces martial flexibility.

This combined with Wild Child's alteration to the martial flexibility feature at later levels:

Hunter's Tricks

At 5th level, a wild child can expend a use of martial flexibility to use a trick from the ranger skirmisher archetype. Each time he activates this ability, the wild child can use a different hunter trick. He cannot choose any tricks that rely on ranged attacks. Activating this ability is not an action, but using the trick might require the wild child to use an action of a different type.

This ability replaces close weapon Mastery.

Now, notice the wording of the two. Wild Child's hunter tricks only gives an option to use Martial Flexibility to gain skirmisher tricks. It does not alter the original function of the ability, it merely adds onto it by giving you that option. One could never use it at all with the Wild Child archetype and it wouldn't matter. However, Snakebite Striker replaces Martial Flexibility outright. My question is, would this be prohibited as per the wording in combined archetypes? They both alter the class feature to some extent, but one of the alterations completely voids the other, by replacing the ability with sneak attack. Also note that in the last sentence of Hunter's Tricks, it says it "replaces close weapon Mastery", not Martial Flexibility.

There is no other clash with the archetypes, except for a minor detail with Maneuver Training.

Wild Child
Maneuver Training (Ex)

Whenever the wild child chooses a new maneuver for this ability, his animal companion also learns a trick to make use of this combat maneuver. For example, if the wild child chooses maneuver training (dirty trick), his animal companion also learns a trick that allows it to use the dirty trick combat maneuver. He cannot choose any tricks that rely on ranged attacks. This bonus trick doesn't count against the animal companion's total tricks known and does not take any time or checks to train. Should the wild child gain a new animal companion (such as if the previous one dies), this new animal companion begins with the same number of bonus tricks.

This ability alters maneuver training.

Snakebite Striker
Snake Feint (Ex)

At 3rd level, a snakebite striker who uses a standard action to move can combine that move with a feint. If she is able to feint as a move action (such as from having the Improved Feint feat), she can combine a move action to move with her feint. At 11th level, once per round she can declare her square and one adjacent square as the origin of her attacks until her next turn (allowing her to use one or both squares to determine whether she or allies are flanking an opponent). At 15th level, she counts an additional adjacent square for this purpose.

This ability replaces maneuver training gained at 3rd and 7th levels.

Opportunist (Ex)

At 11th level, once per round the snakebite striker can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as an attack of opportunity for that round. She cannot use this ability more than once per round, even if she has the Combat Reflexes feat or a similar ability. At 19th level, she can use this ability twice per round.

This ability replaces the maneuver training gained at 11th and 19th levels.

Snakebite Striker replaces maneuver trainings at set levels, but it skips level 15. Wild Child alters maneuver training, in that whatever maneuver you train at, your animal companion can also use as a bonus combat trick. You can still use this alteration of maneuver training at level 15, therefore the two should be able to combine. If Snakebite Striker replaced every level of maneuver training, it would be a different story.

Am I reading all of this correctly? Is there something I'm missing? Some illogical assumption? I'd really love clarification on this before I ask my DM to give it a shot.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-01, 12:04 AM
Seems legit.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-01, 12:12 AM
Note, however, that the Wild Child's companion keys off your Brawler level. So it won't be much good unless you choose a utility companion, such as one with a fly or swim speed, and use it out of combat.

grarrrg
2014-11-01, 12:34 AM
Strictly speaking you can NOT combine the archetypes, as the rules specifically state:

A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the base class

I'm going to reference a similar FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rai).

Note that they basically say "this is a no-no for official stuff, but go ahead and ask your DM, they might let you"

Alagos
2014-11-01, 12:36 AM
Glad to hear it. I hate to be a stickler for rules sometimes, but when a really cool character concept comes into mind, it's hard not to.

Extra Anchovies

Re: Rules Question Regarding Archetypes
Note, however, that the Wild Child's companion keys off your Brawler level. So it won't be much good unless you choose a utility companion, such as one with a fly or swim speed, and use it out of combat.

Hmm, after reading through the description of Wild Child and comparing it to the Ranger Hunter's Bond, I'm starting to have doubts about it. Would the animal companion gained by Wild Child increase with level at Ranger level 4th or higher? If I took it, Brawler CL = Druid CL for AC. When I hit Ranger 4, Ranger CL = Druid CL-3. So in total, it should be 2. But it doesn't say specifically that it can stack. If one already has an animal companion before hitting Ranger 4, what normally happens? Do the Druid levels stack in all cases, as it's a single CL affected by multiple classes/archetypes?

"Unlike normal animals of its kind, an animal companion's Hit Dice, abilities, skills, and feats advance as the druid advances in level. If a character receives an animal companion from more than one source, her effective druid levels stack for the purposes of determining the statistics and abilities of the companion."- Druid Page on SRD.

The key difference between Wild Child and Ranger is that Ranger has this sentence at the end of the description:

"This ability functions like the druid animal companion ability (which is part of the Nature Bond class feature), except that the ranger's effective druid level is equal to his ranger level –3." - Ranger Page on SRD

Whereas the Wild Child does not have this in its description. So which rule is precedent? The description on the Druid page stating that bonuses to druid CL from any sources stack? Is it just sloppy wording or lack of detail in the Wild Child archetype?

Twilightwyrm
2014-11-01, 12:59 AM
Hmm, after reading through the description of Wild Child and comparing it to the Ranger Hunter's Bond, I'm starting to have doubts about it. Would the animal companion gained by Wild Child increase with level at Ranger level 4th or higher? If I took it, Brawler CL = Druid CL for AC. When I hit Ranger 4, Ranger CL = Druid CL-3. So in total, it should be 2. But it doesn't say specifically that it can stack. If one already has an animal companion before hitting Ranger 4, what normally happens? Do the Druid levels stack in all cases, as it's a single CL affected by multiple classes/archetypes?

"Unlike normal animals of its kind, an animal companion's Hit Dice, abilities, skills, and feats advance as the druid advances in level. If a character receives an animal companion from more than one source, her effective druid levels stack for the purposes of determining the statistics and abilities of the companion."- Druid Page on SRD.

The key difference between Wild Child and Ranger is that Ranger has this sentence at the end of the description:

"This ability functions like the druid animal companion ability (which is part of the Nature Bond class feature), except that the ranger's effective druid level is equal to his ranger level –3." - Ranger Page on SRD

Whereas the Wild Child does not have this in its description. So which rule is precedent? The description on the Druid page stating that bonuses to druid CL from any sources stack? Is it just sloppy wording or lack of detail in the Wild Child archetype?

The simplest, and to mind most effective, reading of said rules means that you end up with an animal companion whose power is just your Wild Child CL + your Ranger CL -3. Since the Ranger ability is an addendum to the druid ability that only applies to the Ranger, the calculus should go that the ability effects the ranger levels first, after which you apply effective druid levels as normal for each contributing class. This means that if you add another source with a similar penalty, you won't have any silliness of choosing which to apply or whatnot.

grarrrg
2014-11-01, 01:10 AM
Animal Companion: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions)

The druid's class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion's statistics.

They stack. They always stack.
Unless you have a Mount and a Companion (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn), then they maybe stack...

Alagos
2014-11-01, 01:33 AM
Alright, thanks for the quick answers guys. Feeling really optimistic about this character now. If I may ask one more question though, what companion would you all recommend for a build like this? He's focused on repositioning via Shield Slam, getting flanking for sneak attack dice, and overall just beating things to a pulp while keeping a strong defense with Shield Master at later levels. Maybe adding in tripping as well since the campaign is heavily humanoid-based. I've been considering a Roc as it's agile, handy for scouting, and does very good damage even at level 1. No special attacks until higher AC level (Lvl 7 for grab I believe). Seems to have more utility in its flight more than other ACs.