PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Plated [Template]

Avicenex
2007-03-20, 09:28 PM
I've noticed there's a major lack of templates that are made for constructs, so here goes:

Adamantine-Plated
Adamantine-Plated constructs have had some of their weaker materials replaced with adamantine, making them much tougher then their counterparts.

Creating An Adamantine-Plated Construct
"Adamantine-Plated" is an inherited template that can be added to any construct that has a substantial amount of metal (referred to hereafter as the base creature). For example, an Iron Golem could have this template applied to it, however a Stone Golem could not.
An Adamantine-Plated construct uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type remains Construct. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +5.

Attack
As base creature.

Full Attack
As base creature.

Damage
An Adamantine-Plated construct’s damage for all natural weapons improves by one step (for example, 1d6 would become 1d8, or 1d8 would become 2d6, etc).

Special Attacks
An Adamantine-Plated construct retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following:

Augmented Slam (Ex): Any slam attack the construct makes has the potential to daze the target. Anyone hit by the construct’s slam attack must make a Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round. The DC for this ability is strength based.

Special Qualities
An Adamantine-Plated construct retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains the following:

Improved Armor (Ex): The damage reduction of the construct improves by 2 and now requires Adamantine weapons to overcome it. If it had no damage reduction, it gains DR 2/Adamantine. For example, a creature that had DR 5/Magic would now have DR 7/Magic and Adamantine.

Superior Durability (Ex): An Adamantine-Plated construct has an extra +30 hit points. These hit points stack with those granted by the construct’s size category.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4

Skills
An Adamantine-Plated construct gains skills as a construct.

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature +1

Edit: Cleared some stuff up.

ilovefire
2007-03-20, 09:48 PM
I'm tempted to steal this for a game, but allow it to also be added to any Black Dragon of collassal size.

But you should specify what you mean by 'damage'. All natural attacks? jsut slams? What about weapon attacks if the construct can use weapons?

Also, can this be applied to constructs with the Living subtype? I can see warforged liking this, if you gave it an LA.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-20, 09:52 PM
there is no way this is just a +1 CR creature, maybe 3 but not one, neat idea though

Fizban
2007-03-20, 09:57 PM
I disagree, it's at most a high +1.

The problem I'm seeing with templates for constructs, is that they aren't really needed. If it makes the creature unique enough to be worth it, then it's a new creature. If it just adds to things, then it doesn't make it very unique. I'd find more intrigue in simply relaxing the type restrictions one some other templates and using those. It's mechanically sound however, keep going.

The Demented One
2007-03-20, 09:57 PM
Nice, simple template with lots of potential use. I'd call it +2 CR. Any chance you'd give us a section on upgrading normal constructs to be adamantine plated?

Wizzardman
2007-03-20, 10:03 PM
...So what happens if you put this on an adamantine golem? Or a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat?

Avicenex
2007-03-21, 04:56 AM
...So what happens if you put this on an adamantine golem? Or a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat?

If you do that, the universe as we know it implodes.

But you should specify what you mean by 'damage'. All natural attacks? jsut slams? What about weapon attacks if the construct can use weapons?

Also, can this be applied to constructs with the Living subtype? I can see warforged liking this, if you gave it an LA.

The damage applies to all natural attacks, but if it has a slam attack that's specially augmented (and gets the damage increase). I'll clear that up.

Warforged already have the Adamantine Body feat which is perfectly balanced. +3 LA seems reasonable, but this template isn't really meant for players.

Looking at some other CR +2 templates, this doesn't even come close to matching up, and there's some CR +1 templates that are pretty much even with this.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-21, 08:48 AM
I'm tempted to steal this for a game, but allow it to also be added to any Black Dragon of collassal size.

lol

Deathwing already has official stats but they're in the god range rather than the dragon range seeing as Deathwing is supposed to be the father of all black dragons.