PDA

View Full Version : Fractional calculator?

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-01, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know if there's a calculator or spreadsheet or something similar out there for calculating BAB and saves for gestalt characters when using fractional saves? I'm one of those people who simply can not practically apply the rules on my own, and I'm sure I'm not alone in it, so, well, does anyone know of anything? I'm getting kind of tired of begging for help (and getting mocked for my handicap half of the time) and just getting a long-winded "explanation" that does me no good, and I would like to be able to do this on my own. Preferably without having a mental breakdown every time I want to make a character.

OldTrees1
2014-11-01, 02:18 AM
BAB: 1 * levels of Good BAB + 3/4 * levels of Average BAB + 1/2 * levels of Poor BAB
Saves: 1/2 * levels of Good saves + 1/3 * levels of Poor saves (+2 if any levels were good saves)

A character with X levels of Fighter(Good BAB, Good Fort), Y levels of Rogue(Average BAB, Good Ref) and Z levels of Wizard(Poor BAB, Good Will) would have

BAB: 1 * X + 3/4 * Y + 1/2 * Z
Fort: 2 + 1/2 * X + 1/3 * (Y+Z)
Ref: 2 + 1/2 * Y + 1/3 * (X+Z)
Will: 2 + 1/2 * Z + 1/3 * (X+Y)

That is all the rules say. Neither Gestalt nor Fractional BAB/Saves mentions what happens when combined.

There are 2 primary schools of thought
Fighter X / Rogue Y // Wizard X+Y

School A) Calculate each side individually and then use the better for each BAB/Save.
BAB: 1 * X + 3/4 * Y > 1/2 * (X+Y)
Fort: 2 + 1/2 * X + 1/3 * Y > 1/3 * (X+Y)
Ref: 2 + 1/2 * Y + 1/3 * X > 1/3 * (X+Y)
Will: 1/3 * (X+Y) < 2 + 1/2 * (X+Y)

School B) Fuse each level and then calculate once.
X levels of(Good BAB, Good Fort, Good Will), Y levels of (Average BAB, Good Ref, Good Will)
BAB: 1 * X + 3/4 * Y
Fort: 2 + 1/2 * X + 1/3 * Y
Ref: 2 + 1/2 * Y + 1/3 * X
Will: 2 + 1/2 * (X+Y)

They turned out the same in this case but not always

eggynack
2014-11-01, 02:31 AM
BAB: 1 * levels of Good BAB + 3/4 * levels of Average BAB + 1/2 * levels of Poor BAB
Saves: 1/2 * levels of Good saves + 1/3 * levels of Poor saves (+2 if any levels were good saves)

A character with X levels of Fighter(Good BAB, Good Fort), Y levels of Rogue(Average BAB, Good Ref) and Z levels of Wizard(Poor BAB, Good Will) would have

BAB: 1 * X + 3/4 * Y + 1/2 * Z
Fort: 2 + 1/2 * X + 1/3 * (Y+Z)
Ref: 2 + 1/2 * Y + 1/3 * (X+Z)
Will: 2 + 1/2 * Z + 1/3 * (X+Y)
Not quite accurate. The +2 occurs on every first level of a good save class, as indicated by the examples given in that section of the book. So, the equation would include a +2 on every one of those situations, rather than just a blanket +2 that checks for this information. Doesn't really change the example you provided, but it obviously impacts things in other situations.

OldTrees1
2014-11-01, 02:37 AM
Not quite accurate. The +2 occurs on every first level of a good save class, as indicated by the examples given in that section of the book. So, the equation would include a +2 on every one of those situations, rather than just a blanket +2 that checks for this information. Doesn't really change the example you provided, but it obviously impacts things in other situations.

Well, the Fractional Variant highly suggests removing additional +2s.

Thanks for the clarifying statement though.

eggynack
2014-11-01, 02:45 AM

I can't really see where that occurs. The book seems to just say, "Hey, here's a different way to calculate saves, and the way it works." Nothing there about fractional save meta-variants from what I can see.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-01, 02:47 AM
I can't really see where that occurs. The book seems to just say, "Hey, here's a different way to calculate saves, and the way it works." Nothing there about fractional save meta-variants from what I can see.

The example they give in the fractional BAB/Saves sidebar actually includes repeated +2s. I like it, because it means saves keep up with spell DCs better.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-01, 02:51 AM
Okay to clarify this a bit more. I'm looking for a tool to do this for me since I got dyscalculia. Something I can plug my level and classes into and have it give me the final numbers. I simply can't interpret all those numbers and letters and tables in a reasonable manner, and quite frankly I feel like breaking down and crying just from looking at them (I wish I was exaggerating).

All I want is a link to a program, or java application or spreadsheet or something that has all that stuff pre-programmed in a way where I at the most have to look up if my classes is using good, average or poor progressions, that's all. And I don't mean to be rude about it, but anything more advanced than that is basically above what I'm capable of using, which puts me back at begging for help from someone else, which I'm tired of.

Sian
2014-11-01, 04:19 AM
should be relatively easy to hash together a java app to calculate for you ... although sadly i'm not knowledgable in Java scripting, even if it wouldn't take more than a few hours to cook.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-01, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the clarifying statement though.

No, actually, it doesn't. It's actually abundantly clear that you get the +2. It gives a table that includes the +2 and tells you to add together the values for the levels you have (it doesn't actually say anything about adding 1/2 per good save level or 3/4 per average BAB level), and then it gives an example that includes the +2.

Okay to clarify this a bit more. I'm looking for a tool to do this for me since I got dyscalculia. Something I can plug my level and classes into and have it give me the final numbers. I simply can't interpret all those numbers and letters and tables in a reasonable manner, and quite frankly I feel like breaking down and crying just from looking at them (I wish I was exaggerating).

All I want is a link to a program, or java application or spreadsheet or something that has all that stuff pre-programmed in a way where I at the most have to look up if my classes is using good, average or poor progressions, that's all. And I don't mean to be rude about it, but anything more advanced than that is basically above what I'm capable of using, which puts me back at begging for help from someone else, which I'm tired of.

Copy/Paste this into a Google Spreadsheet (it might work in Excel, but I don't remember if the truncate function is the same):

BaB
Fortitude
Reflex
Will

Good Levels

Medium Levels

Poor Levels

Good Classes

Total
=trunc(B2+0.75*B3+0.5*B4)
=trunc(C2/2+C4/3+2*C5)
=trunc(D2/2+D4/3+2*D5)
=trunc(E2/2+E4/3+2*E5)

Make sure that you're selecting only A1 (the top left cell) when you hit paste and, if needed, remove the apostrophe from the beginning of the formulas.

I don't think I've ever known someone with dyscalculia before so I can't guess how hard it might be to add up the levels of each level, but if needed I can do one where you just put in numbers for each class, but that'll take some time and I'd rather not do it if it's not significantly more useful.

Larrx
2014-11-01, 07:34 AM
Damn it Jeff! I was going to write a Java program to do this before you came up with a superior solution. Now what am supposed to do? Be bored all day? You really need to stop being awesome.

Amphetryon
2014-11-01, 07:46 AM
No, actually, it doesn't. It's actually abundantly clear that you get the +2. It gives a table that includes the +2 and tells you to add together the values for the levels you have (it doesn't actually say anything about adding 1/2 per good save level or 3/4 per average BAB level), and then it gives an example that includes the +2.

Copy/Paste this into a Google Spreadsheet (it might work in Excel, but I don't remember if the truncate function is the same):

BaB
Fortitude
Reflex
Will

Good Levels

Medium Levels

Poor Levels

Good Classes

Total
=trunc(C2/2+C4/3+2*C5)
=trunc(D2/2+D4/3+2*D5)
=trunc(E2/2+E4/3+2*E5)

Make sure that you're selecting only A1 (the top left cell) when you hit paste and, if needed, remove the apostrophe from the beginning of the formulas.

I don't think I've ever known someone with dyscalculia before so I can't guess how hard it might be to add up the levels of each level, but if needed I can do one where you just put in numbers for each class, but that'll take some time and I'd rather not do it if it's not significantly more useful.

Sometimes, I wish this forum had a 'Like' button.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-01, 11:37 AM

BaB
Fortitude
Reflex
Will

Good Levels

Medium Levels

Poor Levels

Good Classes

Total
=trunc(C2/2+C4/3+2*C5)
=trunc(D2/2+D4/3+2*D5)
=trunc(E2/2+E4/3+2*E5)

Oh my gosh Jeff, thank you so much! You have no idea how much easier you've just made my life! And Amphetryon is right, this forum sorely needs a Like button.

So, if I used this tool right my ninja 6|| monk 2/swordsage for has BAB +4, Fort +4, Reflex +7, and Will +7. Could anyone confirm that those numbers are indeed correct? (Just need to know I'm actually putting stuff in the right place :) )

torrasque666
2014-11-01, 12:08 PM
I made up this sheet a while back for a player of mine to reference

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5gWvEluWDieyqBlQCysu7-OkfzrmPt_7HmoQ5B9rPo/edit#gid=0

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-01, 12:27 PM
Ohh, that is helpful. At least it means I don't have to pull out the PBH everytime I need to look up what counts as what.:smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2014-11-01, 03:13 PM
Oh my gosh Jeff, thank you so much! You have no idea how much easier you've just made my life! And Amphetryon is right, this forum sorely needs a Like button.

So, if I used this tool right my ninja 6|| monk 2/swordsage for has BAB +4, Fort +4, Reflex +7, and Will +7. Could anyone confirm that those numbers are indeed correct? (Just need to know I'm actually putting stuff in the right place :) )

No problem. And yes, those look correct.

torrasque666
2014-11-01, 03:20 PM
If you don't mind Jeff, gonna add that to my own sheet that I linked earlier.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-01, 03:24 PM
Go right ahead. It wasn't exactly hard to throw together.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-11-01, 08:02 PM
Again, thanks!

torrasque666
2014-11-01, 08:13 PM
If you keep looking at my spreadsheet, I'm slowly adding in a reference for all classes BAB and saves.

EDIT: And a page that you can just select your classes and determine your BAB/Saves