PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bard spells

Melcar
2014-11-01, 04:51 AM
Hellow fellow scriberinos!

I have some questions of the bard, that only this particular place, and the immense knowledge it holds can answer.

1) Do the spells: Harmony (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-guide-to-faerun--22/harmony--2242/) and Inspirational Boost (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/inspirational-boost--3914/) stack?

2) Is it possible to cast Augment Truefriend (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-magic--89/augment-truefriend--3450/), as a bard without the Truename componenent? Just like that Divine Focus only apply to the spells that have such, when cast by clerics?

3) Since Elation (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/elation--45/), mentiones effective ability score, does it then refer to modifiers or simply just the score?

Thanks

Inevitability
2014-11-01, 05:18 AM
1. Both are untyped bonuses, so I'd say they do.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-01, 05:47 AM
1) both increases apply to the same thing without applying any named bonus and they're separate spells so they stack just fine.

2) a peculiarity of truename spells is that they -always- require successfully speaking the target's truename. All would be casters of those spells must provide the truename component described in the spell.

3) The use of the word "effective" in the sentence is extraneous. It's simply a +2 morale bonus to each of strength and dex.

Andezzar
2014-11-01, 05:58 AM
2. No, any caster has to provide that component:
The following spells involve truenames in some way. Most have a truename component (T), meaning that the caster must succeed on a Truespeak check to have the spell function as desired. The Truespeak check takes no additional time beyond that required for the spell itself, and it doesn’t provoke additional attacks of opportunity separately from casting the spell.It is also not true that only clerics must provide a divine focus. All divine casters must.

3. The spell neither mentions score nor modifier, so ask your DM. I'd go with modifying the STR and DEX score.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-01, 09:00 AM
3. The spell neither mentions score nor modifier, so ask your DM. I'd go with modifying the STR and DEX score.

Are we reading the same spell?

... +2 morale bonus to effective strength and dexterity .... emphasis and strikeout mine.

Andezzar
2014-11-01, 09:13 AM
The word morale does not say anything significant. It merely classifies the type of bonus, relevant for stacking. As per the glossary a bonus is a positive modifier to a die roll. Attribute scores are never rolled An increase of 2 to an ability score would only improve the bonus by 1. Unfortunately the rules use this nonsense wording in other places as well. I believe the intention is the increase the ability scores by 2 which results in a +1 bonus on ability checks and other rolls.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-01, 09:44 AM
The word morale does not say anything significant. It merely classifies the type of bonus, relevant for stacking. As per the glossary a bonus is a positive modifier to a die roll. Attribute scores are never rolled An increase of 2 to an ability score would only improve the bonus by 1. Unfortunately the rules use this nonsense wording in other places as well. I believe the intention is the increase the ability scores by 2 which results in a +1 bonus on ability checks and other rolls.

What are you on about?

Affected creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to strength and dexterity...

This couldn't be more plain. Strength and dexterity are increased by 2. The increase is a result of a morale bonus applied to each ability. There's no need for the word "score" after "strength" or "dexterity" to indicate that it's refering to modifying the score directly. The absence of "modifier" or "bonus" accomplishes that. The inclusion of "effective" is completely irrelevant.

Andezzar
2014-11-01, 09:56 AM
I agree that the word effective is irelevant. The problem is that bonus is defined as a positive modifier to a die roll. An ability score is not a die roll. Thus no bonus can be added.

A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.