PDA

View Full Version : Blood of Gruumsh

Spacehamster
2014-11-01, 06:21 AM
So I want my half Orc battle master/ assassin to struggle with his inherit evil blood. So I thought to ask you guys for good ways to implement this. Myself I thought he would be good by day and at bed time I would do a d20 roll and if I roll 17-20 I have to get up and sneak out and steal or murder or some other evil act. What do you think of this approach?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

dead_but_dreaming
2014-11-01, 06:44 AM
IŽd say, just roleplay it! Give in to the impulse to do nasty things for lulz every now and then :)

Inevitability
2014-11-01, 08:28 AM
Don't have such things depend on a roll. Just don't.

Also, check with your DM and party. Some groups are very opposed to evil PC's.

Spacehamster
2014-11-01, 08:39 AM
Don't have such things depend on a roll. Just don't.

Also, check with your DM and party. Some groups are very opposed to evil PC's.

Well he won't be evil, he is chaotic good but is one of the half orcs that feels more struggle within himself that the PHB tells about. And know I don't have to worry about asking anyone as long as I don't attack party members cause we cycle DM duty and ppl do stupid things now and then so. :) but yeah roll might be a bad idea but to occasionally sneak out into the night and do something bad when you are in town sounds like an interesting concept and when you regain control of your normal morals you feel guilt about what you have done.

odigity
2014-11-01, 09:08 AM
Ink: 10gp/oz
Ink pen: 2cp
Parchment: 1sp/page
Paladin friend: priceless

Keep a daily journal of your decisions and actions. Then at the end of the each day, have your Paladin friend detect evil on you, and note the results. For every evil day, do at least one good deed the following day (i.e. rescue a cat from a tree, maybe even get it's 10xp).

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot that both Paladin's Divine Sense and the 1st lvl spell Detect Evil and Good only detect creature types now (fiend, undead, etc), not alignments. Guess you'll just have to introspect.

Morukai
2014-11-01, 09:09 AM
Well he won't be evil, he is chaotic good but is one of the half orcs that feels more struggle within himself that the PHB tells about. And know I don't have to worry about asking anyone as long as I don't attack party members cause we cycle DM duty and ppl do stupid things now and then so. :) but yeah roll might be a bad idea but to occasionally sneak out into the night and do something bad when you are in town sounds like an interesting concept and when you regain control of your normal morals you feel guilt about what you have done.

Maybe he's really into the thrill of battle and has anger management issues, but later regrets his impulsive, violent actions (the "good" side comes out). Classic bad temper. Difficult for him to restrain himself or not kill an unarmed/surrendering foe. Smashes stuff. Intimidates (or tries to) constantly. Things like that.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-11-01, 09:17 AM
I don't see why such activities would be limited to night time, nor do I understand why they would be random. If you want to role play his vicious nature why don't you instead do a bit of brain storming. Take one of those character development forms you can find all over the net and try to fill it out from your characters perspective. Think about his morals and sense of right and wrong, and establish how he makes decisions. If you can get that down you'll find role playing him appropriately easy. Random dice rolls for personality quirks are a crutch that weaker role players use to mask their inability. You don't need that.

MaxWilson
2014-11-01, 10:25 AM
Instead of rolling a die, read Paladin of Shadows by John Ringo. Here's a review (http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html) that gives the gist, if you'd rather save time by not reading it all. And in fact, this one paragraph gives you at least 50% of what you'd learn from reading the whole series, when it comes to making a half-orc struggling against Gruumsh:

[Protagonist is really angry about terrorists who have kidnapped and abused college co-eds]
'He knew that at heart, he was a rapist. And that meant he hated rapists more than any "normal" human being. They purely ------ him off. He'd spent his entire sexually adult life fighting the urge to not use his inconsiderable strength to possess and take instead of woo and cajole. He'd fought his demons to a standstill again and again when it would have been so easy to give in. He'd had one truly screwed up ----- get completely naked, with him naked and erect between her legs, and she still couldn't say "yes." And he'd just said: "that's okay" and walked away with an amazing case of blue balls. When men gave in to that dark side, it made him even more angry then listening to leftist ------s scream about "western civilization" and how it was so ------ up.'

Then he goes and kills all the terrorists.

Note: I do not recommend the series on its literary merits, even the author thinks it's messed up (he wrote it as a form of catharsis and was surprised when his publisher wanted it for real). The author also has interesting things to say about how unrealistic the books are. But if you're interested in how evil can lurk inside of people who do good, these books are one of the only frank examinations of the topic that I know of in literature, and they might give you some material for your half-orc.

(If you're more widely-read than I am, please don't jump on that statement to argue that Dostoyevsky already covered it and I'm a literary ignoramus for not knowing about it.)

Inevitability
2014-11-01, 10:34 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, forgot that both Paladin's Divine Sense and the 1st lvl spell Detect Evil and Good only detect creature types now (fiend, undead, etc), not alignments. Guess you'll just have to introspect.

Sprites can detect alignment, though. A level 3 warlock could have one of them as his familiar.