PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A few ideas . . .

Chester
2014-11-01, 07:12 AM
Hello everyone! :smallbiggrin:

My group does a rotating DM thing, and I'm up next. The big "plot hook" running through the campaign involves a Far Realm "invasion of sorts"--members of the cult of Makk Thuum Ngatha have allied with Tsochar to bring old Makky here. Pseudonatural, Half-Farspawn, etc. often make their way into the campaign. Though technically not Far Realm, I'm using the Tsochar as our main villains. The players have yet to figure out how they're getting through to this world.

So, I plan to have some sort of "Far Realm bubble" make its way into the world of our campaign--not really a portal, but more like some kind of dome or sphere that is actually the Far Realm bordering our own world. It will amp up the danger factor, that's for sure.

The question concerns ways to reverse this, stall it, or erase it. I'm not sure what to do here. I could:

1. Have typical "unique magical device that saves the day" hidden somewhere.
2. See if the players come up with their own plan, and run with it.
3. Don't run with this idea at all.

I respectfully ask the playground how you might plan something like this. Though I like #2, I should have some kind of backup plan just in case.

Of course, they could fail miserably, and the invasion will happen sooner than I thought!

3.5, level 12-ish, homebrew campaign world.

malonkey1
2014-11-01, 07:43 AM
Well, that actually sounds a bit like the "planar breaching" from the Planar Handbook. Perhaps there's something in there to control and close breaches?

daremetoidareyo
2014-11-01, 10:11 AM
The only way to fix this breach is to have at least divine rank 0, and use "cosmic thread," a chant of true speech that defines reality, a boot code, if you will. In order for the thread to work, you need to know where to stitch the breach, so another at least divine rank 0 has to re-discover and then figure out the "unreality equation." The result of the "unreality equation" is coordinates of where to put these star metal immovable rods ("cosmic needles") in such an arrangement as to allow the cosmic thread to stitch the breach. The thing about equations is that they have variables, variables that need to be collected by PCs, (variables like what is the average amount of far spawn blood per 100 square miles on this planet: the size of all of the current bubbles' dimensions, down to the inch: and how many large elementals it takes to make up the mass of the entire planet. (fire elementals in the core, surrounded by earth, water for oceans then air) Can the PCs figure out how to measure the planet? Collecting this info, and figuring out how to collect this info should be a fun challenge. Once those variables are put into the equation, the star metal rods, (BBEG tsochar know where they are!!!) need to be found, and put into some weird spots: halfway down a volcano, on an ice sheet, dropped into the ocean, etc. Once placed, the true speech flows through the rods and squeezes the far realms bubble back between the dimensions.... Except there is this other complication....

The gods have decided that this planet is a lost cause. They view it as too much effort to sew the breach back up and have consigned that the far realm gets this world, which they believe will mean that the entire world is subsumed, absorbed, whatever, and the breach will close. After all, they have plenty of followers on other worlds and this one is getting weirder and weirder. The PCs have to find a way to convince the gods to care about the planet/make it much easier for them to take care of all this work that needs to be done.

This leaves the PCs with three options, 1.) find the sympathetic gods or make them sympathetic somehow (make some unexpected ones) and lean on them hard by providing them with most of the unreality equation, the cosmic needles and the true name of BBEG. 2.) The PCs must become divine ranked people themselves in order to take care of this stuff, just imagine proselytizing to far spawn for followers! or 3.) Find other, different gods willing to work a little bit for their world.

Chester
2014-11-01, 10:48 AM
Well, that actually sounds a bit like the "planar breaching" from the Planar Handbook. Perhaps there's something in there to control and close breaches?

I'll check that out. I had no idea such a book existed.

The only way to fix this breach is to have at least divine rank 0, and use "cosmic thread," a chant of true speech that defines reality, a boot code, if you will. In order for the thread to work, you need to know where to stitch the breach, so another at least divine rank 0 has to re-discover and then figure out the "unreality equation." The result of the "unreality equation" is coordinates of where to put these star metal immovable rods ("cosmic needles") in such an arrangement as to allow the cosmic thread to stitch the breach. The thing about equations is that they have variables, variables that need to be collected by PCs, (variables like what is the average amount of far spawn blood per 100 square miles on this planet: the size of all of the current bubbles' dimensions, down to the inch: and how many large elementals it takes to make up the mass of the entire planet. (fire elementals in the core, surrounded by earth, water for oceans then air) Can the PCs figure out how to measure the planet? Collecting this info, and figuring out how to collect this info should be a fun challenge. Once those variables are put into the equation, the star metal rods, (BBEG tsochar know where they are!!!) need to be found, and put into some weird spots: halfway down a volcano, on an ice sheet, dropped into the ocean, etc. Once placed, the true speech flows through the rods and squeezes the far realms bubble back between the dimensions.... Except there is this other complication....

The gods have decided that this planet is a lost cause. They view it as too much effort to sew the breach back up and have consigned that the far realm gets this world, which they believe will mean that the entire world is subsumed, absorbed, whatever, and the breach will close. After all, they have plenty of followers on other worlds and this one is getting weirder and weirder. The PCs have to find a way to convince the gods to care about the planet/make it much easier for them to take care of all this work that needs to be done.

This leaves the PCs with three options, 1.) find the sympathetic gods or make them sympathetic somehow (make some unexpected ones) and lean on them hard by providing them with most of the unreality equation, the cosmic needles and the true name of BBEG. 2.) The PCs must become divine ranked people themselves in order to take care of this stuff, just imagine proselytizing to far spawn for followers! or 3.) Find other, different gods willing to work a little bit for their world.

Funny you mention that. Flavor-wise, the Tsochar and farspawn seem to despise negative energy and the undead. We use the Greek Pantheon, and the gods have indicated that they're placing faith in Hades to combat this. The group does not like it too much, but this combined with your fine idea seems like a viable option! :smallwink:

Oracle_of_Void
2014-11-01, 07:07 PM
If you go the magical artifact route, try to explain why this thing exists; it'd seem too easy that some device already exists to fix the problem. Another idea is that the players need to resurrect an incredibly powerful mage who specializes in the far realm but the mage's soul is owned by [bad guy god/fiend here].

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-01, 07:30 PM
My first thought here is that Asmodeus is a a very old being with some measure of divine power. Perhaps he would help...

Or if you want to go with the undead flavor there is always Orcus...

I find that world dooming/elder evil level plots are a great time for other big nasties to show up and offer their intercession for a price, even if it is just a ride to that world.

Edit: Sorry if that is a little off topic. I was just thinking in this scenario I would go Disciple of Asmodeus so fast no being in the multiverse could possibly save my soul.

Judge_Worm
2014-11-01, 11:03 PM
This sphere idea, you should make it seem horribly unnatural.

For instance;

As you gaze upon the heavens, you see a roundish object occupying much of the sky. Focusing in on it, you realize it is impossibly round, like you are gazing upon an infinite amount of spheres, this is something else entirely. Much like many dots make a circle, and a multitude of circles a sphere... A seam of magnificent breadth appears, and it opens in a manner akin to an eyelid revealing an eye. Something primordial, an instinct as old as reality itself forces you to avert your own eyes. When you return your interest to it, it is closing, and it feels like all of existence has breathed a sigh of relief.

As for advice, let your players come up with their own mechanations. Have a backup plan too. You could have your players fight a BBEG while some ancient or compassionate god seals the breech.

sonofzeal
2014-11-02, 02:11 PM
My first thought here is that Asmodeus is a a very old being with some measure of divine power. Perhaps he would help...

IIRC, Asmodeus is pretty much the single most powerful entity in the known cosmology who isn't at least a little divine. Possibly by his own design. There's a few entities out there with specific power against gods that Asmodeus has vested interest in not being vulnerable to.