PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Fighter Maneuvers based on Tome of Battle

BRKNdevil
2014-11-01, 08:47 AM
This is something i decided to try since no one is replying on my other threads and i can't come up with some new subclass options that seems fitting for 5e as of recently. I Decided that a few maneuvers are no longer applicable or in better relation to the Monk or Rogue nowadays so I didn't bother making something. A few of the ToB things are in weaker form of what is already available so i didn't remake them (Crusader's Strike=> Rallying Strike) and didn't remake them as well.

Homebrew Maneuvers
Stone Dragon
Mountain’s Hammer Strike – Your blows fall like a mountain’s weight against your foes, each attack adding its weight to the next.
When you hit a creature or object with a weapon attack, you can spend one superiority die to add to the damage roll of this attack (Damage Type is the same as the Weapon). In addition, the damage to the creature or object ignores Resistances or Hardness, and any Weapon attack made during your turn by you after this attack also ignores resistances and Hardness.

Earthstrike Quake—
You may spend a Superiority Die to use your Bonus Action or Reaction to force everyone in a 20ft burst centered on you to roll a Dexterity Save or fall prone. If they fail the save, they take the damage rolled from the Superiority Die (Bludgeoning). This can potentially cause spellcasters to fail at casting a spell with a Constitution Save, but doesn’t affect Concentration spells already in effect unless they fail the Dexterity Save and receive damage.

Overwhelming Mountain Strikes –
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can spend one superiority die to add to the damage roll of the attack. In addition, the creature struck must make a Strength Save or have their movement reduced to zero. If a second strike is made on the same target during the same turn by you after failing the Strength Save, then the creature also loses their Bonus Action, and if a third strike is successful, they lose their Reaction as well.

Devoted Spirit
Defensive Rebuke –
As a Bonus Action, you can initiate this Maneuver by spending a Superiority Die. Anyone you attack this round suffers a Disadvantage on attack rolls against anyone other than you. You can spend your Reaction to attack them once if they decide to attack any other target other than you while they are within your Reach. This deals your weapon’s damage as well as the damage rolled using your Superiority Die.

Immortal Fortitude – too hax in this edition
If you would be reduced to 0 or less Hit Points after receiving damage, you can as a Reaction, spend a Superiority Die to roll a Constitution Save against the ([damage dealt against you, reduced by the value rolled by your Superiority Die], divided by two), or a DC of 15, whichever is higher to survive the attack with 1 Hit Point.

Diamond Mind
Combat Focus—
As a Reaction, you can spend a Superiority Die and Roll that die to add to a Save you are currently making in addition to the d20 and any other modifiers.

BRKNdevil
2014-11-02, 10:40 AM
why no comments on balance or such?

Amnoriath
2014-11-04, 10:39 AM
why no comments on balance or such?

Actually these are quite good and I would definitely pick up a couple. The only things odd here are spending two actions on one maneuver(Defenisve Rebuke) since it is a contingent attack just give them the attack without needing to spend another action. Then there is the Overwheming Mountain Strikes which semi-stack with multiple hits, nothing really wrong with it just a little different.
The reasons I think others didn't really respond is because you are taking these maneuvers out of their lore and kind of making them more mundane. Also adding options to choose from on an existing class generally lacks the flavor catch to get attention for it. Finally, because there is very little wrong with them they don't feel the need to point it out.

BRKNdevil
2014-11-15, 10:04 AM
Actually these are quite good and I would definitely pick up a couple. The only things odd here are spending two actions on one maneuver(Defenisve Rebuke) since it is a contingent attack just give them the attack without needing to spend another action. Then there is the Overwheming Mountain Strikes which semi-stack with multiple hits, nothing really wrong with it just a little different.
The reasons I think others didn't really respond is because you are taking these maneuvers out of their lore and kind of making them more mundane. Also adding options to choose from on an existing class generally lacks the flavor catch to get attention for it. Finally, because there is very little wrong with them they don't feel the need to point it out.

I couldn't really figure out how else to set up the defensive rebuke
As for making it more mundane, I had to set it up similar to what was already there, something that is within the abilities of a normal man, but exceeds the expectations of what is considered normal. So this is how i could best figure it out. I didn't want it to so far exceed what was already made by wotc that other options become sufficiently inferior to what i made.

Agmundr
2015-03-27, 02:40 AM
i think these maneuvers are pretty well thought out and balanced. im going to use these for my fighter :D

im transcribing my warblade into a 5E campaign so this works out great for me and my group.

Ralanr
2015-03-29, 12:20 AM
Homebrew Maneuvers
Stone Dragon
Mountain’s Hammer Strike – Your blows fall like a mountain’s weight against your foes, each attack adding its weight to the next.
When you hit a creature or object with a weapon attack, you can spend one superiority die to add to the damage roll of this attack (Damage Type is the same as the Weapon). In addition, the damage to the creature or object ignores Resistances or Hardness, and any Weapon attack made during your turn by you after this attack also ignores resistances and Hardness.

Hmm...

DM: Your enemy has resistance to damage against nonmagical weapons
Player: D'aww, he thinks he's safe. That's adorable.

If no one had problems with this then I'm fine. This is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Giant2005
2015-03-29, 02:36 AM
Earthstrike Quake needs a fair bit of nerfing to be brought in line with the canon Maneuvers. It is essentially a super-powerful version of Sweeping Attack and needs to be brought down to its level. It also needs to be refluffed to be something that isn't quite so supernatural.
Devoted Spirit suffers from a similar issue in that it is very similar to an already established maneuver while being superior to that maneuver. In this case it is exactly the same as Goading Strike except that the target gets no save and the Fighter also gets a bonus rider that is very similar to Riposte, all from the one die. I would suggest altering it so anyone attacks you has advantage to do so. That will bring it a little closer inline (Although maybe not by enough considering it is two maneuvers in one and one of those maneuvers is inferior to it in many ways).
Diamond Mind infringes too much on the Bard's turf for my liking... But considering it is pretty in line with what the Bard does, it is fairly balanced.

Everything else looks good to me.

BRKNdevil
2015-03-29, 05:13 PM
Earthstrike Quake needs a fair bit of nerfing to be brought in line with the canon Maneuvers. It is essentially a super-powerful version of Sweeping Attack and needs to be brought down to its level. It also needs to be refluffed to be something that isn't quite so supernatural.
Devoted Spirit suffers from a similar issue in that it is very similar to an already established maneuver while being superior to that maneuver. In this case it is exactly the same as Goading Strike except that the target gets no save and the Fighter also gets a bonus rider that is very similar to Riposte, all from the one die. I would suggest altering it so anyone attacks you has advantage to do so. That will bring it a little closer inline (Although maybe not by enough considering it is two maneuvers in one and one of those maneuvers is inferior to it in many ways).
Diamond Mind infringes too much on the Bard's turf for my liking... But considering it is pretty in line with what the Bard does, it is fairly balanced.

Everything else looks good to me.

So for Earthstrike, something like, causes burst damage to the surrounding area around you equal to the manuever die +str/dex and push? I'm Keeping the semi supernatural stuff to it though to keep with the source material. Also, i'd probably then add that it would cause a concentration check and might cancel the casting of spells when done as a reaction then as well.

As for defensive rebuke, something like, Gain an advantage on striking the user, but a disadvantage on striking anyone else? but also through in static damage reduction equal to the value rolled for the maneuver dice?

Giant2005
2015-03-29, 07:57 PM
So for Earthstrike, something like, causes burst damage to the surrounding area around you equal to the manuever die +str/dex and push? I'm Keeping the semi supernatural stuff to it though to keep with the source material. Also, i'd probably then add that it would cause a concentration check and might cancel the casting of spells when done as a reaction then as well.

As for defensive rebuke, something like, Gain an advantage on striking the user, but a disadvantage on striking anyone else? but also through in static damage reduction equal to the value rolled for the maneuver dice?

As for Eathstrike... I have no idea what to do to bring it in line with the other maneuvers. Essentially, it is perfectly okay as it is as long as it doesn't hit too many targets, yet capping the number of targets it could hit arbitrarily is a little weird.
Regarding Defensive Rebuke... Are you suggesting changing the entire power or adding that on top of what it already does? I think a damage reduction as high as what is possible to throw on superiority dice is a little bit OP. I think the ability as you originally had it would be perfectly fine as long as enemies that are attacking you have advantage too.

BRKNdevil
2015-03-29, 08:39 PM
As for Eathstrike... I have no idea what to do to bring it in line with the other maneuvers. Essentially, it is perfectly okay as it is as long as it doesn't hit too many targets, yet capping the number of targets it could hit arbitrarily is a little weird.
Regarding Defensive Rebuke... Are you suggesting changing the entire power or adding that on top of what it already does? I think a damage reduction as high as what is possible to throw on superiority dice is a little bit OP. I think the ability as you originally had it would be perfectly fine as long as enemies that are attacking you have advantage too.

meh, the damage being taken from Earthstrike caps out at 1d12 so i doubt that will mean much near the end, and it is hitting everything, friendly's included so I dunno if it really needs an arbitrary cap. I was talking about changing the entire move, but you where talking about just adding that any attacks against the user is done at an advantage, which seems fair, but i think we both need to work on clearing up what we are saying before everyone gets confused. So on that note, the 2 suggestions i made where complete rewrites of the ability.