PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Power attack + other damage Multipliers and such

Jesse30
2014-11-01, 04:56 PM
Hello forums! I have posted here once before in search of answers and I was blown away by the readied responses and advice, and for that I am truly thankful.

I'm back and looking for more answers, so here it goes:

I'm currently a level 2 barbarian/ 1 fighter.

My dm just informed me that I may be able to do a good deal more damage then I am currently, for which I would love to do.

I wield a spiked chain, which does 2d4. Since it's a two handed weapon I get to do some extra damage that way I guess?

I am using the power attack feat, which I don't like much because I always miss and I only do a few extra damage with it.

I have +3 str mod, which adds to damage I think.

so this is the calculation:

{(2d4(weapon damage))+((3*1.5)str damage mod)+[((3*2)Power attack addition from a BAB of 3)]}

So the best I can do without a critical would be {8+(4.5)+[(6)]} = 18.5? Is this correct.

I'm obviously not very schooled in all that is D&D, but I do want to learn.

My dm tells me this isn't right and should actually be multiplied once more possibly, to yield damage around 30, which seems awesome, but he isn't that great with D&D either and can't prove it to me, claiming he read it somewhere, I just can't see it.

Anyone have some experience with this or has this been addressed before?

Thanks again,

Jesse

Ellowryn
2014-11-01, 06:00 PM
Your calculations are correct. What you could do to raise your to hit is charge as often as possible as you really don't care about AC and a +2 to hit would really help you out.

In the future look to get the Shocktrooper and Leap Attack feats as the first allows you to assign the penalty from Power Attack to AC instead of to hit and the latter doubles your Power Attack damage if you successfully jump during a charge.

Jesse30
2014-11-01, 06:46 PM
Great! Thanks for the reply! I'll look into those feats as that seems kinda where i'm headed i think.

Also since my weapon is a two weapon weapon, but also counts as a double weapon, do I have the penalties of two handed fighting?

Ellowryn
2014-11-01, 07:36 PM
Great! Thanks for the reply! I'll look into those feats as that seems kinda where i'm headed i think.

Also since my weapon is a two weapon weapon, but also counts as a double weapon, do I have the penalties of two handed fighting?

Nope, only if you actually use it as a double weapon do you take the penalties.

And if you really like the idea of a charger build i would suggest looking around for build guides as they can help you get an idea for what you want to do and can point you in the direction of how to do it.

Grand Poobah
2014-11-01, 08:34 PM

This was raised in my game recently but according to the SRD a spiked chain is not classed as a double weapon.

Urpriest
2014-11-01, 09:29 PM
This was raised in my game recently but according to the SRD a spiked chain is not classed as a double weapon.

Yeah, it's a double weapon in 4e if you have the right feats, but the only way to treat it that way in 3.5 involves an obscure Drow PrC. It's not a default thing by any means.

arkangel111
2014-11-01, 09:41 PM
your forgetting rage modifiers... no reason why you shouldn't be raging its a swift action. Other than that Make sure to grab Leap attack at level 6, it can be done at 5 if you stagger your fighter level properly. It requires further feat investment but picking up Combat Brute and using the 3rd option will greatly increase your damage the round after you charge. You can further raise your damage if you are allowed tome of blood classes. Depending which way you go, many stances can up your damage by as much as 2d6, and many of the maneuvers can further enhance this damage as well. Unfortunately ToB is probably one of the most banned books.

Also, Did you grab spirit lion totem ACF? this grants you pounce. You can further swap out your rage for whirling frenzy giving you an extra attack, literally doubling your damage. That easily gets you almost to 40 damage with your current setup.

Eventually your gonna wanna grab combat reflexes, Improved trip, and knockdown. Then you can fully utilize that chain of yours and do a ton of damage, while not being stuck to just doing damage.

Check out this guide for further tips and tricks:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?105525-3-5e-Being-Bane-Eldariel-s-Guide-to-Barbarians

Urpriest
2014-11-01, 09:59 PM
your forgetting rage modifiers... no reason why you shouldn't be raging its a swift free action.

Important distinction here. Otherwise agreed.

Jesse30
2014-11-02, 03:10 AM
Wow! Amazing! Thank you for your responses, I had no Idea my rage was a free action. I'm looking into this guide. My dm created the character and has many of these things so far, so I think he might have been following one close to this.

Thanks again, I may be back with more questions!

Edit* I just told my dm this and he showed me in the players hand book that it says that I can only do it any time I could take my own action?

Jesse

Neverborn
2014-11-02, 03:55 AM
You mean go into a rage?
That is true unless you take the feat Instantaneous Rage from Complete Warrior, which lets you do it whenever you want, even on your opponents turn... :)

Greenish
2014-11-02, 04:33 AM
I just told my dm this and he showed me in the players hand book that it says that I can only do it any time I could take my own action?Well, yes. That's how free actions work.

I don't see why that'd be a problem, though.

Jesse30
2014-11-02, 04:55 AM
Oh my bad, I see what your saying. Ok so as long as it's my turn I can rage, got it. Yeah I haven't really used rage much. It's the whirling frenzy one, but I can only use it once so I want to save if when I really need it haha.

Thanks again guys,

Jesse

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-02, 05:08 AM
Extra Rage isn't a bad feat for a multi-class Barbarian.

Urpriest
2014-11-02, 11:53 AM
Extra Rage isn't a bad feat for a multi-class Barbarian.

Or just a low-level Barbarian in general, really. I'd definitely try to fit it in somewhere. I think it's even a Fighter Bonus feat, though somebody should check.

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-02, 02:23 PM
I think it's even a Fighter Bonus feat, though somebody should check.

No, Extra Rage is not a Fighter bonus feat. Why the heck would it be? It has absolutely zero value to non-Barbarians. I'm pretty sure they don't classify things as Fighter feats with the expectation that the character has any class other than Fighter. :smallconfused:

Urpriest
2014-11-02, 02:24 PM
No, Extra Rage is not a Fighter bonus feat. Why the heck would it be? It has absolutely zero value to non-Barbarians. I'm pretty sure they don't classify things as Fighter feats with the expectation that the character has any class other than Fighter. :smallconfused:

Fighter and Barbarian tend to multiclass well. That said, you're right, not sure where I got that impression.

PsyBomb
2014-11-02, 04:14 PM
Fighter and Barbarian tend to multiclass well. That said, you're right, not sure where I got that impression.

It is a Combat feat in PF, which means it can be taken as a fighter bonus there.