PDA

View Full Version : StP Erudite and Spell/Psionic craft

heavyfuel
2014-11-01, 05:28 PM
After asking many times in the RAW thread with no answer, I come the rest of the forum to answer me this.

If a StP Erudite manifests a Mage Armor. Do I use psycraft or spellcraft to identify it? Also to which school of magic or psionic discipline does it belong to?

Kevingway
2014-11-01, 05:31 PM
You're manifesting, so technically psicraft.

heavyfuel
2014-11-01, 05:36 PM
You're manifesting, so technically psicraft.

That's what I was thinking as well. But what is identified with it? Do i identify a Conjuration even if I have no idea what it is (ie, no ranks in Spellcraft)?

Vortenger
2014-11-01, 08:00 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. But what is identified with it? Do i identify a Conjuration even if I have no idea what it is (ie, no ranks in Spellcraft)?
You would identify as per the transparency section powers

Conjuration with psicraft breaks down to:

Calling/Summoning: Metacreativity
Healing: Psychometabolism
Teleportation: Psycoportation

The others schools break down much more simply, btw.

darksolitaire
2014-11-02, 03:45 AM
IMO, someone with high spellcraft would get "That looks awful lot like a mage armor, but it's different!"

heavyfuel
2014-11-02, 09:30 PM
You would identify as per the transparency section powers

Conjuration with psicraft breaks down to:

Calling/Summoning: Metacreativity
Healing: Psychometabolism
Teleportation: Psycoportation

The others schools break down much more simply, btw.

Hmm. Where can I find this section? The SRD?

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-02, 10:09 PM
IMO, someone with high spellcraft would get "That looks awful lot like a mage armor, but it's different!"

This is what I'd go with as a DM. Allow both to work. Maybe increase the DC for the "wrong" skill by an insignificant amount (+2?) if you want to (shouldn't hurt too much; most people who take ranks in Spellcraft max it anyway).

It certainly makes sense. It's the same effect, just created differently.

heavyfuel
2014-11-02, 10:15 PM
This is what I'd go with as a DM. Allow both to work. Maybe increase the DC for the "wrong" skill by an insignificant amount (+2?) if you want to (shouldn't hurt too much; most people who take ranks in Spellcraft max it anyway).

It certainly makes sense. It's the same effect, just created differently.

What if the DM (me) is playing by the strict Transparency rules presented here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm. Where only SR, Dispel Magic and Detect Magic work on Psionics? I really want a RAW answer for this question, though I probably shouldv'e specified it

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-02, 10:21 PM
What if the DM (me) is playing by the strict Transparency rules presented here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm. Where only SR, Dispel Magic and Detect Magic work on Psionics? I really want a RAW answer for this question, though I probably shouldv'e specified it

Don't think it's COMPLETELY RAW but the way it's written - look at the rules on Detect Magic - it seems to imply that you would need the corresponding skill.

That's as close to a RAW answer as you can get from that. It's still RAI, but emphasis on the "rules" rather than on the "interpreted."

heavyfuel
2014-11-02, 10:24 PM
Don't think it's COMPLETELY RAW but the way it's written - look at the rules on Detect Magic - it seems to imply that you would need the corresponding skill.

That's as close to a RAW answer as you can get from that. It's still RAI, but emphasis on the "rules" rather than on the "interpreted."

Ok. So it's Psicraft and not Spellcraft. But now we're walking the same road again and we'll reach the same obstacle: What school or discipline is identified? If one only has Psicraft that is

heavyfuel
2014-11-10, 11:36 AM
Hmm. Where can I find this section? The SRD?

Bumping this.

Renen
2014-11-10, 05:39 PM
I'd ID it as Metacreativity, which IC would be synonymous to Conjuration.