PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Fist of the Forest - Unarmed Damage

Drimoran
2014-11-01, 09:13 PM
So I had some questions about how this class feature actually works. According to the book "Complete Champion", it states:

Fist of the Forest

Unarmed Damage (Ex): Your unarmed attacks deal more damage than usual. At 1st level, you deal 1d8 points of damage with each unarmed strike. When you attain 3rd level, this damage increases to 1d10 points. See the monk class feature (PH 41). If your unarmed attack already deals this amount of damage, increase the base damage to the next step indicated on the monk class table
Monk class table is: 1d6,1d8,1d10,2d6,2d8,2d10

First Question

As the feature makes a reference to the monk class feauture (PH41). Shoul I assume that this unarmed damage comes along with
"monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons"
characteristic?

Would this also mean that
"A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes"
is also aplyied?

Second Question

The feat states that if you have no increased damage, then you get what it is in the table. But "If your unarmed attack already deals this amount of damage, increase the base damage to the next step indicated on the monk class table"

What happens if I do not have yet this ammount of damage but I will have it later. Does this apply retroactively? For instance, If i go Monk5/FoF1 I will have 1d8 and an increase to 1d10.
But what If i went Barbarian3/Monk3/FoF1/Monk2. Wont I get an upgrade to the damage as at the time I got the FoF class I didnt have enough damage?

Third Question

Now, what if I had more than the unarmed damage it grants me. For instance I go Monk8/FoF1, As I already have 1d10 damage wich is not 1d8, Does this mean FoF will grant me no damage upgrade?

Forth Question
If the answer to the Second Question is that it goes retroactively and the answer to the third is that it also applies even if you have higher damage, then I shall have one more question

Superior Unarmed Strike Grants you unarmed damage as shown on the table:

Character Level--Unarmed Damage
3rd--------------1d4
4th–7th--------- 1d6
8th–11th-------- 1d8
12th–15th------- 1d10
16th–20th------- 2d6

If the damage does upgrade despite the order you got the class, would that mean that one level of FoF upgrades this table since level 8th to one higher? And if so, would three levels of FoF grant two upgrades to this table? If so, could I get total unarmed damage output with Superior unarmed Strike and three levels of Fist of the Forest as shown below?

Barbarian 4/Fist of the Forest 3/XXX 13 (With Superior Unarmed Strike)
Character Level--Unarmed Damag
3rd--------------1d4
4th–7th--------- 1d6
8th–11th-------- 1d8->1d10->2d6
12th–15th------- 1d10->2d6->2d8
16th–20th------- 2d6->2d8->2d10

Greenish
2014-11-01, 10:06 PM
1A: No
1B: No.
2: Not retroactive.
3: No.
4: No idea.

[Edit]: This is my most negative post for a while.

Rintar79
2019-12-15, 05:34 PM
6 years later but we have played this build a few times andnas always dms descretion but yes treat it as monk unarmed for all things keep it simple if you get fof first then monk or other unarmed levels increase innsame ratio per correct levels add the 3 levels to the same progression chain. If you have 5 levels of monk before or after those areadded to the pointnof your FOF levels K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) its all for flavour and fun after all