PDA

View Full Version : Arcanist Help

ghanjrho
2014-11-02, 12:26 AM
Playing an Arcanist in a Mummy's Mask campaign starting this week. This is also my first time playing a 9 level spellcaster. Looking for any advice at all, really. The rest of the party consists of a Talented Fighter, a Serpent Shaman Druid and a Gunslinger. I'm thinking that my best bet is to focus on utility and/or party buff.

Race: Peri-blooded Aasimar
Abilities: rolled, post-racial.
STR: 7
DEX: 15
CON:14
INT: 20
WIS: 17
CHA: 18

Traits: reactionary, blood of the pharoahs

Arcanist
2014-11-02, 12:41 AM
I really thought you were calling me :smallconfused:

Kane0
2014-11-02, 01:53 AM
Most wizard advice will apply in some way to arcanists, but the exploits are of particular note. Take quick study early, this will allow you to swap out a spell as a fullround action and a point of your pool.

Other exploits I recommend:
- metamagic knowledge, to qualify for the greater version later that grants you a floating metamagic feat
- consume magic item, in conjunction with scribe scroll allows you to replenish your pool with cheap 2nd level scrolls
- counterspell, because it is very handy to be able to stop a spell without preparing an action
- dimensional slide for an excellent opt-out plan
- metamixing for any time you use metamagic, which should pop up at some point with any full caster

Make sure you have a bit of everything in terms of spells known, since you have the spellbook approach available to you. Dont load up on just blast spells or just summoning spells, though fortunately you can switch them out if need be with quick study. Things like grease, charm person, color spray and mount are great at low levels, and make sure to pick up infernal healing for emergency medical assistance.
BFC spells should be up your priority list, as should buffs and debuffs. Don't slack off on utility or summons, but they take a slightly lower importance. make sure you have blasts too, just in case.

Ration your spells a bit, because you have fewer spell slots than most other full casters and progress a level behind like a sorcerer. That said make sure you put them to good use. Its hard to make specific suggestions without first knowing your party and optimisation level a bit better. The standard handbooks should apply for selecting spells to have prepped.

If your worried about anti-wizard tactics then look for eschew materials, still spell, silent spell, etc and have a backup spellbook.

Your favored class bonus could go to HP since your an INT based caster, but that depends on your race.

If you find yourself running short on spells per day try investing in a couple wands and scrolls of things that arent too dependant on caster level. Just dont burn your wand to refill your pool with consume magic item, its rarely worth it.

Take improved initiative if you can afford it. Going first with a good spell that can handicap opponents or render them unable to fight entirely is invaluable.

Ellowryn
2014-11-02, 11:33 AM
Quick Study is another exploit that is very useful as it allows you to swap out a spell as a full round action.

There is also the feat Expanded Preparation that you can take 3 times, giving you additional spells prepared.

ghanjrho
2014-11-02, 12:27 PM
Current rough idea for level 1 is either Improved Initiative or Extra Resevoir, ice missiles as my exploit (for the stagger and a little blasting) and mount, enlarge person, color spray, magic missile, grease, endure elements, and 2 undecided 1sts in my spell book. Should I be taking Quick Study at 1?

Also, I'm probably the biggest optimizer in the group. I can count the number of sessions the fighter as druid have had, combined, without taking off my shoes and socks. My goal is to a) keep them alive, and b) help them be effective without stepping on any toes

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-02, 04:10 PM
Also, I'm probably the biggest optimizer in the group. I can count the number of sessions the fighter as druid have had, combined, without taking off my shoes and socks. My goal is to a) keep them alive, and b) help them be effective without stepping on any toes

Generally, the best way to do that is to focus on nondamaging BFC and buffing. Laying down a Web spell, then taking a round or two to buff your allies while your foes extricate themselves, is a great way to guarantee victory without dealing a single point of damage. The fact that you have a ranged damage machine in the form of a Gunslinger is even better, since he can pop off full attacks without having to deal with your artificial terrain changes.

Kane0
2014-11-02, 06:52 PM
Current rough idea for level 1 is either Improved Initiative or Extra Resevoir, ice missiles as my exploit (for the stagger and a little blasting) and mount, enlarge person, color spray, magic missile, grease, endure elements, and 2 undecided 1sts in my spell book. Should I be taking Quick Study at 1?

The blast exploits arent bad, but keep in mind that your reservoir can be drained rather quickly for a less than great effect. Quick study can be put off for a couple levels but you will definitely want it by the time 3rd or 4th level spells kick in. Both imp init and extra reservoir are good feats too, as is the aforementioned expanded prep later on.
Spell selection looks good, you really cant lose with a spellbook. Just adjust your spells prepped as necesaary as you play.

grarrrg
2014-11-02, 07:12 PM
I really thought you were calling me :smallconfused:

Well, that depends...Can you help?