PDA

View Full Version : immunites from phantasm

sue the fighter
2014-11-02, 03:42 AM
So here is the situation. We enter a mansion and be being overtaken by visions of the previous occupants. These visions have detriment of Pthe party in various Ways incluxing stat effects damage and death. These visions took over our bodies and made us do the things the people were. Each vision was directed at a specific person with the rest of the party unaware of what was going on. This culminated with me picking up a wood splinter that looked like a knife and performing a cou de gras on myself. I argued at the time it started that I was immune to phantasm. That this would not affect me. I have looked up phantasm and this situation appears to be text book for it. Can I get your thoughts guy?

sue the fighter
2014-11-02, 03:52 AM
Phantasm

A phantasm spell creates a mental image that usually only the caster and the subject (or subjects) of the spell can perceive. This impression is totally in the minds of the subjects. It is a personalized mental impression. (It’s all in their heads and not a fake picture or something that they actually see.) Third parties viewing or studying the scene don’t notice the phantasm. All phantasms are mind-affecting spells.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-02, 10:44 AM
Depends on what is actually being done to your character. If you are immune to phantasms, then yes, you should not be affected, if they were indeed phantasms. But IIRC, ghosts can perform possessions as well, which your immunity does not cover. IF you are possessed, it could be argued that the ghosts are not immune to phantasms and therefore would be subject to the visions you described.

Of course, the ghost theory would require the ghosts to be manifested and therefore be seen.

Edit: A phantasm by itself is not a compulsion effect, it is something that effects those it interacts with. I would argue (even if not immune), that just seeing a bloody knife would not make my character want to murder his friends, just as an example.

Admiral Squish
2014-11-02, 10:53 AM
I would say you would be immune to the aforementioned visions, but you would still be vulnerable to compulsions and possession. If you had been, for example, made to see your friend as a horrifying monster that needed to die, then that would be a phantasm. A phantasm can't make you do anything, but you can make seemingly logical decisions while under the effects of a phantasm, which turn out to be disastrous.