PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Blood (Paladin subclass)

Gnomes2169
2014-11-02, 03:49 AM
The Oath of of the Mortal binds the paladin to the cause of protecting the lives of those that live on the mortal plane. While this does not necessarily mean that they will attack outsiders or supernatural beings on sight, it can be expected that they will always side with the mortal over the divine or the fiend, and that if an outsider threatens innocent lives then these paladins will hunt it down. They believe that the ends justify the means, and that preserving a balance between charity, selfishness, obedience and freedom is the best way for life to thrive and grow. Their tenants reflect this standpoint.

Exercise Foresight before Acting: One should be aware of the consequences of their actions, and decide if their response to the situation would cause more harm than they are willing to accept.
Be Humble and Serve Others: As a protector of life, you should place the needs of your fellow mortals before your desires if you are able, even if this means that you (and only you) will be impacted negatively. Special consideration should be given to friends and family.
Accept Responsibility for Your Actions: Be they good, bad or otherwise, your actions make you who you are. Being unable to accept this means that you are rejecting what makes you a unique individual, and is the gravest sin you can commit. If fate or circumstance causes you to break a different tenant of this oath, you will not fall unless you refuse to accept responsibility for this failure and the consequences that come from it.
Protect all Mortal Life: While there may be people who cause more harm than good, for the most part every mortal has a right to live. As such, if you know of a threat to a person's life, you should do your best to save it if you are able. If you fail to protect a particular person, then it is your duty to find their slayer and ensure that they will not threaten another mortal life.

Oath spells
Paladin levelSpells
3Charm person, healing word
7Enhance ability, prayer of healing
11Conjure animals, mass healing word
15Aura of life, locate creature
19Hallow, raise dead

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at level 3, you gain the following two channel divinity options.

Well of Life: As an action, you may channel a wave of positive energies out to the creatures around you using your channel divinity. This wave heals select living creatures within 15' for 2+your paladin levels. You may target a number of creatures equal to or less than your charisma modifier with this ability (minimum 1).
Turn the Outsider: As an action, you speak with a command that drives those of non-material origin away. Any Celestial, Fiend or Fey within 30' of you that hears these words must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. A turned creature must spend its turns running away from you if it can, and it can' willingly move to a space within 30' of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that stops it from moving. If there is nowhere to move, the creature may use the Dodge action.

Aura of Bleeding
Starting at 7th level, any hostile creature within 10' of you is made more vulnerable to incoming attacks. Every time you or one of your living allies hits a creature in this aura with an attack, the damage dealt to that creature is increased by your charisma modifier as long as you are conscious. Starting at level 18, the range of this aura increases to 30'.

Mortal Ward
Starting at level 15 you gain resistance to acid, cold, fire, lightning, radiant and necrotic damage.

Undying champion
Starting at level 20 you reach the pinnacle of your oath, and may channel your raw will and power into becoming a beacon of life. As a bonus action you may activate undying champion, immediately healing yourself of 4d10 damage, and gain advantage on saving throws and opposed ability checks against non-magical effects. Additionally, you may use a bonus action on subsequent turns to target any allied living creature within 60', healing them of 2d8+your charisma modifier damage and removing any one one of the following conditions; Blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned or stunned. Undying Champion lasts for one minute, and you must finish a lng rest before regaining use of this ability.

So, as usual, all feedback is good feedback! And I'll be happy to answer any questions/ comments/ concerns.

Gnomes2169
2015-02-19, 01:21 PM
Name changed to Oath of the Mortal, since it seems to be more fitting... ignore the title of the thread. It won't change any more.

Inchoroi
2015-02-21, 04:40 PM
Temporary increases to ability scores is probably a Really Bad IdeaTM. Its powerful enough without it, since you then become the best healer and best tank of the game as it is.

Gnomes2169
2015-02-22, 05:29 PM
Temporary increases to ability scores is probably a Really Bad IdeaTM. Its powerful enough without it, since you then become the best healer and best tank of the game as it is.

Huh, the code works for you... Jealous. :smalltongue: Anyway, yeah, you do have a point. I'm not so sure the oath of the mortal could beat out a life cleric in healing (life clerics are flat out the best healers in the game) but a few changes have been made.

1. Names of features. They have been changed.
2. Well of life (level 3 channel divinity) no longer damages elementals and undead. I'm strongly comsidering changing it to heal each creature by 2+your paladin levels, to both smooth out the scaling and make it more consistent. Edit: Changed the scaling, and also gave it a maximum number of targets (cha mod), and lowered the range to 15'
3. Turn the Outsider (originally turn the unnatural) now targets Fey instead of elementals.
4. Mortal ward (originally unnatural ward) now only gives resistance, no advantage on saving throws.
5. Undying champion (originally crimson surge) no longer increases attributes as that is a Bad Idea[sup](TM), instead it grants advantage on non-magical saving throws and opposed skill checks (basically advantage vs being shoved, grappled or tripped). The self heal will be lowered to 4d10, and the bonus action heals to 2d8+cha.
5. The tenants have become easier to uphold, and allow for a person to have a bit of personality. Huzzah.

Anything else seem out of place to you here?

Inchoroi
2015-02-22, 11:38 PM
I don't remember; do any of the other subclasses for Paladin give that many resistances straight up like that? That's the only other thing that sticks out to me.

Gnomes2169
2015-02-23, 02:56 AM
I don't remember; do any of the other subclasses for Paladin give that many resistances straight up like that? That's the only other thing that sticks out to me.

Oath of the Ancients gives resistance to all spell damage (basically all elemental damage, and even some physical damage) as a 10' aura at level 7. I thought that a level 15 ability that has fewer elements, only affects the paladin and isn't limited to spells would be fitting as a slightly higher level ability.

Gnomes2169
2017-03-16, 01:22 AM
For some reason I forgot to add this little gem to my homebrew signature. Fixed now. Feedback is still appreciated!

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-16, 03:23 PM
I'd like to see an oath of blood but this is nice I can heal or tank now so cool?