PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Artificer (4e Inspired)

HorridElemental
2014-11-02, 10:36 AM
Warning: Very rough draft so far, mostly me placing stuff on the page and going with the flow. I have an idea of how I want this class to play but I'm still working on things :)

Artificer

Artificers are masters of items and strange contraptions, even the Tinker Gnomes are impressed with their creations. The first step to becoming a full fledge Artificer is to create a power core. This device emits an energy that activates the artificer's admixtures. After this they are sent into the world to perfect their craft.

Class Features

Hit Dice: 1d8 per Artificer level
Hit Points at first level: 8 + Con Modifier
Hit points at higher levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Artificer level.

Armor: Light
Weapons: All simple weapons
Tools: Alchemist's Supplies, Clockwork Tools

Saving Throws: Constition, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from X, Y, Z, Investigation, and Sleight of Hand.

You start out with the following equipment along with any equipment from your background.

(a) one simple melee weapon and light crossbow (20 bolts) or (b) one dagger and a heavy crossbow (20 bolts)
(a) leather armor or (b) chain shirt (if proficient)
(a) Alchemist's Supplies or (b) Clockwork Tools
(a) Dungeoneering Pack or (b) Explorers Pack

Admixtures

You can create admixtures which when applied to creatures, items, or the environment can cause fantastic non-magical effects. Using admixtures is a work of alchemy (or science) not the work of arcane or divine magic.

Infusions
At first level you know 3 special admixtures called Infusions that you can make on the fly using essentially any ingredients you have on you or in the environment and thus never run out of reagents for these abilities. As you level up you gain more basic admixtures as shown on the alchemist table.

Preparing and Using Admixtures
You must have the proper materials to make an Admixture and you can only keep so many powered up at a time due to how advanced your power core is. The number and level of admixtures you can keep stable increases as you level as indicated in the Alchemist table.

Your power core is a alchemical item that all artificers learn to create, each is specifically created to work with their admixtures and infusions. The power core of one Artificer won't be able to power another artificer's admixtures.

Admixtures can be potions, magical items, clockwork items, greases, or a multitude of other things. Your admixtures are always at the highest formula level you know. To stay powered they must have line of effect with the power core you create and be within 100'. An admixture becomes deactivates if the target or item outside that distance or is out of line of efect but activates again if brought within that distance. If your power core is ever destroyed you can make a new one (for a cost determined later). The power core transmits a signal to the chemicals in your admixtures to cause their effects.

The power core is usually a small device of some sort that can be hidden on your person.

To prepare an admixture you must have taken a long rest. Creating these is a delicate process that could literally blow tour face off and you need to concentrate to make sure that doesn't happen.

A person can only have one admixture effecting them at one time.

Each time you level up you may replace an admixture formula with another one.

Admixture Ability

Save DC: 8 + proficiency bonus + Intelligence Modifier

Attack Modifier: Your proficiency bonus + intelligence modifier

Admixture Focus
This works for your admixtures just as an arcane or divine focus works for spells. The Artificer may choose any one item to be their Admixture Focus.

Field of Study

Each Artificer has a specific field of study which grants them specific bonuses to their admixtures and infusions. Below are two such choices.

Medical (healing): Increase all healing dice by one step. Additionally you may add your Con mod to any admixtures that heal HP.

Chemist: Increase all admixture's elemental damage dice by one step. Additionally you gain a number of THP equal to your Wisdom modifier each time you take a short or long rest. These THP stack with other forms of Temp HP but not with themselves.

Infusions

There are two types of Infusions, greases and elixers. You may have only one of each type activated at one time. If you use a second grease or elixer any used before become deactivated until you use that infusion again. Greases are placed on items while elixers can soak into the skin of creatures or be drunk. Elixers and greases last for 1 minute before they must be applied to the target again. Players are encouraged to make up their own formula.

Shielding Elixer: Choose two creatures and an element, they gain advantage on saving throws versus that element and resistance to that element's damage. At level 5 you may select a third element. At level 11you may select another creature. At level 17 you may select a fourth element. And a fourth target.

Resistive Elixer: Choose a creature within 60', the target gains +1 AC. At level 5, 11, and 17 you may select an additional target.

Elemental Grease: You coat a piece of ammunition or a melee weapon and change the weapon damage to elemental damage. You may choose the element upon creating this infusion.

Blast Grease: You may coat an object or creature with this grease. Anytime in the next minute you may, as a bonus action, cause the blast grease to explode causing 1d4 force damage and pushes the creature or item up to 5 feet (if possible).

Reserving two post below

I need to edit the hell out of this btw...

HorridElemental
2014-11-02, 10:37 AM
Reserved for use

Admixture Example

Life Taping Darts: You throw three darts at up to three creatures (only 1 dart per creature though). Each creature must make a save versus your DC or take 1d6 necrotic damage.

Power Core at Higher Levels
Level 2: Target has half speed
Level 3: 2d6 damage
Level 4: Target speed is 0
Level 5: 3d6 damage

Because the admixtures are like warlock spell and always cast at highest level... Having different boost to them isn't as troublesome or hard to remember as it would be with spells. Spells you determine on the fly if you will use a higher level and then have to remember which level does what each time. This will be of a plug n go.

HorridElemental
2014-11-02, 09:00 PM
Decided to go warlock style casting progression instead of cleric/wiz/other... I would love to see the base magic system work more like the warlock... But each class get a tweak.

New table will reflect this.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Infusions Known
Admixture Known
Stable Admixtures
Power Core Level

+2
Artificer Power Core, Field of Study
1st

+2
Power Core Feature
1st

+2
Field of Study Feature
2nd

+2
Ability Score Improvement
2nd

+3
Power Core Feature
3rd

+3
Field of Study Feature

3rd

+3
Power Core Feature

4th

+3

4th

+4
Power Core Feature

5th

+4
Field of Study Feature

5th

+4
Use Any Device, Grand Admixture (6th)

5th

+4

5th

Grand Admixture (7th)

5th

Field of Study Feature

5th

Grand Admixture (8th)

5th

5th

Grand Admixture (9th)

5th

5th

5th

5th

Power Core Features: Give upgrades to your power core. May be changed but costs money to change once class feature allows a choice.

Field of Study: Choose from one of the many fields that an artificer may focus on. Once chosen it can not be changed as this is a life long decision that takes years to gain the first feature at level 1.

Mechanical Engineering: Creates an Advanced Power Core that acts more like a beast than machine.

Environmental Sciences: Manipulates Nature

Physics: Masters of Kinetic Energy

Medical (Healing): Uses devices to heal targets.

Medical (Death):

Chemistry: Masters of chemical reactions.

Amnoriath
2014-11-04, 09:49 AM
1. The power core is an interesting concept here, however how does it apply to grand admixtures if it does at all?
2. How is an infusion different? Also you know too many early on and top out too early as well. I have a couple of suggestions here but I want to get your vision first.
3. A 5e Warlock is designed to be a bit of a hodge podge to preclude certain strategies from others without them being tied to the Patrons. So, when making this you may want to keep this in mind when making admixtures, infusion, and fields.

HorridElemental
2014-11-04, 01:37 PM
1. The power core is an interesting concept here, however how does it apply to grand admixtures if it does at all?
2. How is an infusion different? Also you know too many early on and top out too early as well. I have a couple of suggestions here but I want to get your vision first.
3. A 5e Warlock is designed to be a bit of a hodge podge to preclude certain strategies from others without them being tied to the Patrons. So, when making this you may want to keep this in mind when making admixtures, infusion, and fields.

1: Thanks, I wanted a non magical power source and thought that Tony Stark would make angreat artificer in 5e... I dont wanna steal the arc reactor comoletely though lol. I'm still working on the grand admixture idea but I'm thinking of them to be a "overload" function. Do it to much and the device can break... Well lthe overload function will break or power down but the power core will still work for the lower level Admixtures.

2) Infusions are the Artificer's version of cantrips more or less, the artificer can go A-Team and make them out of anything on hand (roleplaying!). They powered by the Power Core but they don't tax the Power Source all that much. Oh, the A Team are totally a great example of non-caster D&D artificers lol.

3) This isn't meant to be a variant warlock, just steal the idea of the chassis. But I do agree and will be looking out for this.

Also, I may make this class a bit powerful at first but with the bard to contend with I think it will be fine.

Amnoriath
2014-11-04, 02:33 PM
1: Thanks, I wanted a non magical power source and thought that Tony Stark would make angreat artificer in 5e... I dont wanna steal the arc reactor comoletely though lol. I'm still working on the grand admixture idea but I'm thinking of them to be a "overload" function. Do it to much and the device can break... Well lthe overload function will break or power down but the power core will still work for the lower level Admixtures.

2) Infusions are the Artificer's version of cantrips more or less, the artificer can go A-Team and make them out of anything on hand (roleplaying!). They powered by the Power Core but they don't tax the Power Source all that much. Oh, the A Team are totally a great example of non-caster D&D artificers lol.

3) This isn't meant to be a variant warlock, just steal the idea of the chassis. But I do agree and will be looking out for this.

Also, I may make this class a bit powerful at first but with the bard to contend with I think it will be fine.
1. Well I am not saying that you should however keep in mind that a Warlock gets an additional spell known at that level and is used for the day. A lower level spell jacked up to a higher level generally is less powerful than a spell of equivalent level. You also haven't detailed higher level effects so you ought to keep this in mind. I would suggest maybe rework the name a bit and have it as a once per short rest surge on a single admixture. In the higher levels maybe they could decrease it the levels by 2 to use it again at that same modified level.
2. Yeah, you see you are kind of copying a spell caster too much there. Admixtures I believe can for the most part act as spells because even the name gives a sort of a single use type of feel to them. Equating infusions to cantrips though is something I don't think you should do. It isn't that I believe cantrips are at all too powerful but cantrips conveys the idea of an easy spell-like ability that a caster inherently knows and has the innate power to cast them. Infusions though to me convey a sort of crafting ritual or modification to an item or set of things to make one. So, I think you ought to do something unique here.
3. It isn't that I expect you should but a Warlock currently is far more versatile and powerful than this guy. They get the same if not more cantrips/x know as well as almost double the spells known along with 8 invocations. Maybe you consider the power core features as a sort of invocation but that still only 4. I know you have more to put out but there is a reason why I singled out infusions. I am not sure how much you really can do with a power core as it is just a representation of where you get the power from. At most some bonuses to admixtures or slight DC increases is about all that seems appropriate. This of course depends on how you handle admixtures but it would seem that mostly you would have to specifically prepare the admixtures just so your power core features are a little more mechanically meaningful. This of course than makes it worse than current Pact Magic mechanics.

HorridElemental
2014-11-04, 03:28 PM
1. Well I am not saying that you should however keep in mind that a Warlock gets an additional spell known at that level and is used for the day. A lower level spell jacked up to a higher level generally is less powerful than a spell of equivalent level. You also haven't detailed higher level effects so you ought to keep this in mind. I would suggest maybe rework the name a bit and have it as a once per short rest surge on a single admixture. In the higher levels maybe they could decrease it the levels by 2 to use it again at that same modified level.
2. Yeah, you see you are kind of copying a spell caster too much there. Admixtures I believe can for the most part act as spells because even the name gives a sort of a single use type of feel to them. Equating infusions to cantrips though is something I don't think you should do. It isn't that I believe cantrips are at all too powerful but cantrips conveys the idea of an easy spell-like ability that a caster inherently knows and has the innate power to cast them. Infusions though to me convey a sort of crafting ritual or modification to an item or set of things to make one. So, I think you ought to do something unique here.
3. It isn't that I expect you should but a Warlock currently is far more versatile and powerful than this guy. They get the same if not more cantrips/x know as well as almost double the spells known along with 8 invocations. Maybe you consider the power core features as a sort of invocation but that still only 4. I know you have more to put out but there is a reason why I singled out infusions. I am not sure how much you really can do with a power core as it is just a representation of where you get the power from. At most some bonuses to admixtures or slight DC increases is about all that seems appropriate. This of course depends on how you handle admixtures but it would seem that mostly you would have to specifically prepare the admixtures just so your power core features are a little more mechanically meaningful. This of course than makes it worse than current Pact Magic mechanics.

Hot damn! Totally forgot a key item that I thought of...

The Artificer doesn't have a limit on Admixtures per day but only how many and what type they can have active. Admixtures are set up like the spell casting side but work off the invocation side.

So while the Artificer knows 10 admixtures and can use 5... Those 5 can be changed up all day long but can only keep 5 of them powered up. Something like a beefed up MoI deal.

I need to edit my above stuff to put this in, I thought I put it in last night haha.

Some numbers need to change... But I'll give you a better reply later tonight once I fix a couple things!

Thanks!

Edit: Infusions come from 4e actually, they were class features. I didn't really equate them to cantrip until after I made them.

Amnoriath
2014-11-04, 05:28 PM
Hot damn! Totally forgot a key item that I thought of...

The Artificer doesn't have a limit on Admixtures per day but only how many and what type they can have active. Admixtures are set up like the spell casting side but work off the invocation side.

So while the Artificer knows 10 admixtures and can use 5... Those 5 can be changed up all day long but can only keep 5 of them powered up. Something like a beefed up MoI deal.

I need to edit my above stuff to put this in, I thought I put it in last night haha.

Some numbers need to change... But I'll give you a better reply later tonight once I fix a couple things!

Thanks!

Edit: Infusions come from 4e actually, they were class features. I didn't really equate them to cantrip until after I made them.

1. Except that conceptually I don't think the idea of admixtures being more powerful infusions or cantrips is going to be all that interesting. The reason why cantrips are different from spells is that they all can be used at will and some even scale naturally. Spells though are single use and almost always need a level increase to be more powerful. This makes it an interesting mechanical dichotomy in which there is a reason to distinguish them. Here though the only difference seems to be one gets power core increases while the other doesn't. I only think infusions should be the ones that run off what you described.
2. Infusions are also in 3.5 so you really need to explain because they were one of the least favorite elements in the class as it gave a sort rub-rub creepy vibe.

HorridElemental
2014-11-05, 11:32 AM
1. Except that conceptually I don't think the idea of admixtures being more powerful infusions or cantrips is going to be all that interesting. The reason why cantrips are different from spells is that they all can be used at will and some even scale naturally. Spells though are single use and almost always need a level increase to be more powerful. This makes it an interesting mechanical dichotomy in which there is a reason to distinguish them. Here though the only difference seems to be one gets power core increases while the other doesn't. I only think infusions should be the ones that run off what you described.
2. Infusions are also in 3.5 so you really need to explain because they were one of the least favorite elements in the class as it gave a sort rub-rub creepy vibe.

Never played an artificer in 3.5, friend did a bit but I never really wanted to. 4e artificer was one of my favorites, well at least the potential was one of my favorites.

Worked on a couple things... I'm mixing a few things up.

Admixtures Known, Admixtures Prepared, and Power Core Level. Change up which admixtures are prepared during a short rest.

Admixtures will come in the forms of Greases, Elixers, Gasses, and Items (clock work and others). Admixtures are inert or have no properties until the energy of the power core energizes the chemical or item.

6th-9th level admixtures will be 1/day. You will have to Surge your power core to get them to energize. You can use a higher surge for a lower admixture. So if you have a 6th and 7th level admixture you can surge two 6th level admixtures or one 6th and one 7th.

Admixtures work at the highest level of your power core. The ones prepared will be at-will for admixtures less than 6th level. You can A-Team pretty much anything together to make your admixtures (roleplay!).

Also you can only have one type of admixture (grease, elixer, gas, or item) being used at one time. If you use an admixture that effects the same type as you have going before then the admixture from before becomes depowered or inert.

Example of an Admixture

Elemental Grease
As an action you grab a dab of grease and place it on a weapon and use your power core causing the weapon to deal elemental damage (choice determined at the use of this admixture). If you apply this to your own weapon then it is a bonus action. This admixture lasts for 1 minute or until the weapon damages a target.

Level 1: Weapon Deals Elemental Damage
Level 2: Duration increased to concentration or 1 hour
Level 3: Weapon deals two elemental types of damage
Level 4: Duration is 1 hour (no concentration)
Level 5: weapon deals three elemental types of damage

So if using this at level 5 it lasts for 1 hour and your weapon damage could be fire, cold, lightning.

If you use this admixture or another grease then this one becomes inert.

Amnoriath
2014-11-05, 01:13 PM
Never played an artificer in 3.5, friend did a bit but I never really wanted to. 4e artificer was one of my favorites, well at least the potential was one of my favorites.

Worked on a couple things... I'm mixing a few things up.

Admixtures Known, Admixtures Prepared, and Power Core Level. Change up which admixtures are prepared during a short rest.

Admixtures will come in the forms of Greases, Elixers, Gasses, and Items (clock work and others). Admixtures are inert or have no properties until the energy of the power core energizes the chemical or item.

6th-9th level admixtures will be 1/day. You will have to Surge your power core to get them to energize. You can use a higher surge for a lower admixture. So if you have a 6th and 7th level admixture you can surge two 6th level admixtures or one 6th and one 7th.

Admixtures work at the highest level of your power core. The ones prepared will be at-will for admixtures less than 6th level. You can A-Team pretty much anything together to make your admixtures (roleplay!).

Also you can only have one type of admixture (grease, elixer, gas, or item) being used at one time. If you use an admixture that effects the same type as you have going before then the admixture from before becomes depowered or inert.

Example of an Admixture

Elemental Grease
As an action you grab a dab of grease and place it on a weapon and use your power core causing the weapon to deal elemental damage (choice determined at the use of this admixture). If you apply this to your own weapon then it is a bonus action. This admixture lasts for 1 minute or until the weapon damages a target.

Level 1: Weapon Deals Elemental Damage
Level 2: Duration increased to concentration or 1 hour
Level 3: Weapon deals two elemental types of damage
Level 4: Duration is 1 hour (no concentration)
Level 5: weapon deals three elemental types of damage

So if using this at level 5 it lasts for 1 hour and your weapon damage could be fire, cold, lightning.

If you use this admixture or another grease then this one becomes inert.
1. Infusions there amounted to some kind of oil and ritual application that took way too long to use in the midst of combat. A few things there did some things no other class could but the least amount of time to apply them was 1 minute without an action point(Eberron Campaign Setting, not 4e). Basically the fun crafting part you had to spend a lot of time, resources, and planning to get right while even their daily applications proved hard to improvise without crafting a specific item and feat. Of course when done well even an Archivist was left shaking in their boots.
2. You are kind of going back to the problem in which the power core becomes inherently irrelevant. If you have innately 6th-9th level admixtures the power core only supports them because you tried to say it does and not in the letter of what is written. Adding the alternative to jack up a lower level spell to a higher one isn't fixing the problem. If lower level admixtures have 4-9 levels of increases what about the innately 6th-8th level ones? Do you use two uses of Grand Admixture to solve it? I could name more but one of the problems of the Warlock Pact Magic system is that it only increases in uses after level 9. While it isn't too big of a deal there your class accentuates it in the way your admixtures work and the RAW of your power core.
3. So is elemental grease an admixture, infusion, or both? Also concentration doesn't apply unless it is specified.

Here is what I say, you stretch out the innate levels of your power core and knowledge of admixtures to match roughly that of a Paladin(1, 5, 9, 13, and 17). At level 3 and every 4 levels after you can surge adding a number of levels to an admixture(1-4) to increase its power in which only can be used once per short rest. At level 11 you can do what I talked about before with another use. Since they are prepared I think you could increase the amount of admixtures you can have prepared in relation to a Warlock(2 growing to 6). This way while other full caster may have the larger scope or harder to avoid spells you though have a better nova strategy per encounter while keeping up with them in terms of spell levels and numbers.

As for infusions treat them as ad hoc items or modifications that at base only they can fully utilize and give your current admixtures know to infusions known. Then through out your class you slowly gain another active infusion you can have at a time up to 3, maybe 4 with a certain field. You can change them after a long rest and eventually a short rest(at least 12 if not later).

P.S. How about Arcana, History, and Perception for the skills?

HorridElemental
2014-11-06, 01:10 PM
P.S. How about Arcana, History, and Perception for the skills?

One thing I have the answer to right away is this.

Arcana will be given if the Artificer takes the Field of Study "Alchemist" .

Also I think investigation works better than perception for this class. They pretty much do the same thing and it just works better overall.

Amnoriath
2014-11-06, 02:16 PM
One thing I have the answer to right away is this.

Arcana will be given if the Artificer takes the Field of Study "Alchemist" .

Also I think investigation works better than perception for this class. They pretty much do the same thing and it just works better overall.

1. So, just means they can afford to choose another. As being on the edge of innovation it only makes sense that they understand some of the D&D sciences.
2. Investigation runs off a different stat and is more about noticing fine details. Perception though is general sensory input to find out where something is. Again, why couldn't they choose both and why is Perception so antithetical to it?
In general you don't have too many logical choices.

HorridElemental
2014-11-06, 05:38 PM
1. So, just means they can afford to choose another. As being on the edge of innovation it only makes sense that they understand some of the D&D sciences.
2. Investigation runs off a different stat and is more about noticing fine details. Perception though is general sensory input to find out where something is. Again, why couldn't they choose both and why is Perception so antithetical to it?
In general you don't have too many logical choices.

They aren't mages and don't deal with magic. They make fantastical effects that can appear to be magic but it is not magic. Arcana is not something an Artificer would know by being an Artificer. Kinda like how a chemist may know a little about physics but it won't really be because they are a chemist.

The Alchemist field of study will inately be working with magic.

On perception versus investigation... Classically which mental stat governs science? Wisdom or Intelligence? Besides perception is more about survivalist type of skill whereas investigation using raw knowledge to come to a conclusion. It is only logical that the Artificer gets investigation and not perception.

Amnoriath
2014-11-07, 12:16 AM
They aren't mages and don't deal with magic. They make fantastical effects that can appear to be magic but it is not magic. Arcana is not something an Artificer would know by being an Artificer. Kinda like how a chemist may know a little about physics but it won't really be because they are a chemist.

The Alchemist field of study will inately be working with magic.

On perception versus investigation... Classically which mental stat governs science? Wisdom or Intelligence? Besides perception is more about survivalist type of skill whereas investigation using raw knowledge to come to a conclusion. It is only logical that the Artificer gets investigation and not perception.

1. Arcana is an effective science skill in D&D as it is describing the manipulation of the elements as well as knowledge planes how they interact..etc.
2. Again, one doesn't preclude the other. You are trying to say because it isn't intelligence based it shouldn't have it but the Barbarian has various choices of ones not strength or constitution based. In fact more of them are mentally based than physically. Since you have a limited choice either you need to make a lot of exceptions or you just add something that isn't antithetical to your idea. Having Perception is the latter choice.

HorridElemental
2014-11-07, 11:49 AM
1. Arcana is an effective science skill in D&D as it is describing the manipulation of the elements as well as knowledge planes how they interact..etc.
2. Again, one doesn't preclude the other. You are trying to say because it isn't intelligence based it shouldn't have it but the Barbarian has various choices of ones not strength or constitution based. In fact more of them are mentally based than physically. Since you have a limited choice either you need to make a lot of exceptions or you just add something that isn't antithetical to your idea. Having Perception is the latter choice.

1: No. The while point of this class is that it uses science as we know it and not magic. Arcana is used as "science of magic" of sorts but this class uses no magic what so ever. This class is not a caster at all.

2: There is a huge difference in the two with how you go about using them but they pretty much do the same thing... Like search versus spot.

Actually... Think of it this way.

Perception is like saying 1+1+1+1 = 4
Investigation is like saying 1*4 = 4

You got the same answer but you went about it differently. The Artificer's mind is trained to work in a specific way in order to make their gadgets and stuff work.

Just because perception is a god skill doesn't mean everyone should have it on their list.

Amnoriath
2014-11-07, 01:30 PM
1: No. The while point of this class is that it uses science as we know it and not magic. Arcana is used as "science of magic" of sorts but this class uses no magic what so ever. This class is not a caster at all.

2: There is a huge difference in the two with how you go about using them but they pretty much do the same thing... Like search versus spot.

Actually... Think of it this way.

Perception is like saying 1+1+1+1 = 4
Investigation is like saying 1*4 = 4

You got the same answer but you went about it differently. The Artificer's mind is trained to work in a specific way in order to make their gadgets and stuff work.

Just because perception is a god skill doesn't mean everyone should have it on their list.
1. Except they don't live in our world. They live in the world where magic and extraplanar activity is inherent in understanding the way the D&D world works. To ignore this fact is like saying I want to learn how to grill but I don't want to use fire. The closest you can use is griddles with ridges.
2. Yes, they are different but you haven't made the case on how it is absolutely antithetical to your class. You want suggestions but you make a bunch of exclusion in which don't even have anything to do with saying it is counter to the class. Again your choices are limited. Nature, Religion, Survival, Handle Animal are not in line with the theme at all. Deception and Persuasion are social manipulation but of course he isn't a smooth talker. Acrobatics and Stealth are generally tactics that won't be focused on as a tech guy. So, the only ones that are left in which may be some thing this character would readily use and makes is Arcana, History, Insight, or Perception.

Amnoriath
2014-11-07, 02:21 PM
2. You are kind of going back to the problem in which the power core becomes inherently irrelevant. If you have innately 6th-9th level admixtures the power core only supports them because you tried to say it does and not in the letter of what is written. Adding the alternative to jack up a lower level spell to a higher one isn't fixing the problem. If lower level admixtures have 4-9 levels of increases what about the innately 6th-8th level ones? Do you use two uses of Grand Admixture to solve it? I could name more but one of the problems of the Warlock Pact Magic system is that it only increases in uses after level 9. While it isn't too big of a deal there your class accentuates it in the way your admixtures work and the RAW of your power core.
3. So is elemental grease an admixture, infusion, or both? Also concentration doesn't apply unless it is specified.

Here is what I say, you stretch out the innate levels of your power core and knowledge of admixtures to match roughly that of a Paladin(1, 5, 9, 13, and 17). At level 3 and every 4 levels after you can surge adding a number of levels to an admixture(1-4) to increase its power in which only can be used once per short rest. At level 11 you can do what I talked about before with another use. Since they are prepared I think you could increase the amount of admixtures you can have prepared in relation to a Warlock(2 growing to 6). This way while other full caster may have the larger scope or harder to avoid spells you though have a better nova strategy per encounter while keeping up with them in terms of spell levels and numbers.

As for infusions treat them as ad hoc items or modifications that at base only they can fully utilize and give your current admixtures know to infusions known. Then through out your class you slowly gain another active infusion you can have at a time up to 3, maybe 4 with a certain field. You can change them after a long rest and eventually a short rest(at least 12 if not later).

So, how about this yet?

HorridElemental
2014-11-07, 05:00 PM
1. Except they don't live in our world. They live in the world where magic and extraplanar activity is inherent in understanding the way the D&D world works. To ignore this fact is like saying I want to learn how to grill but I don't want to use fire. The closest you can use is griddles with ridges.

I know artificers in the past have been magic based but this one is not. The artificer I'm building knows no more about magic, unless their background gives it to them, than any other non-caster.

I'm a scientist, but I don't know crap about chemistry. Sure I know the basics and such but I am no where near an expert or qualified to say I'm trained in it. Chemistry is everywhere in our world and without it we are in the stone age.

Same thing with this class, it works in the world where there is this fundamental need and want of magic but the Artificer doesn't study that to make a living or their abilities.

So no. Arcana will not be a class skill. Why? Because they don't use it. Take it as a background skill.

This is not a caster or user of magic no more than the fighter. The fighter has a subclass that gives it access to magic just like my artificer will have a subclass that knows magic.

I'm not sure what else to say about this so yeah.

Class Skills (small reasoning)

Deception: Some artificers use devious means to make a coin, selling their admixtures for a nice price and then skipping town. Lying about what powers their admixtures help the artificer in their endevours.

History: Many artificers learn history in order to improve upon the creations of the past and to get ideas for the future.

Insight: Knowing if a person is out to steal their gadgets and gear is a key skill that many Artificers pick up at an early age.

Investigation: A key skill for all ArtifInvestigations a Wizard is tied to Arcana so is an Artificer tied to Imvestigation . With this they delve into their science and learn what makes things tick.

Performance: Everyone needs to eat to survive, many artificers use their gadgets and items to please crowds for coin. Since their gadgets only work with their own power core, selling them doesn't turn out so well.

Sleight of Hand: In order to create many of their gadgets the Artificer must have sure hands. This is also helpful when placing trackers and bombs on enemies without detection. Most power cores are never shown to others and need to be hidden from detection.

Six class skills with fields of study giving new skills and/or bonuses to these (much like the warlock or perhaps the rogue ability...).

Amnoriath
2014-11-08, 12:46 AM
I know artificers in the past have been magic based but this one is not. The artificer I'm building knows no more about magic, unless their background gives it to them, than any other non-caster.

I'm a scientist, but I don't know crap about chemistry. Sure I know the basics and such but I am no where near an expert or qualified to say I'm trained in it. Chemistry is everywhere in our world and without it we are in the stone age.

Same thing with this class, it works in the world where there is this fundamental need and want of magic but the Artificer doesn't study that to make a living or their abilities.

So no. Arcana will not be a class skill. Why? Because they don't use it. Take it as a background skill.

This is not a caster or user of magic no more than the fighter. The fighter has a subclass that gives it access to magic just like my artificer will have a subclass that knows magic.

I'm not sure what else to say about this so yeah.

Class Skills (small reasoning)

Deception: Some artificers use devious means to make a coin, selling their admixtures for a nice price and then skipping town. Lying about what powers their admixtures help the artificer in their endevours.

History: Many artificers learn history in order to improve upon the creations of the past and to get ideas for the future.

Insight: Knowing if a person is out to steal their gadgets and gear is a key skill that many Artificers pick up at an early age.

Investigation: A key skill for all ArtifInvestigations a Wizard is tied to Arcana so is an Artificer tied to Imvestigation . With this they delve into their science and learn what makes things tick.

Performance: Everyone needs to eat to survive, many artificers use their gadgets and items to please crowds for coin. Since their gadgets only work with their own power core, selling them doesn't turn out so well.

Sleight of Hand: In order to create many of their gadgets the Artificer must have sure hands. This is also helpful when placing trackers and bombs on enemies without detection. Most power cores are never shown to others and need to be hidden from detection.

Six class skills with fields of study giving new skills and/or bonuses to these (much like the warlock or perhaps the rogue ability...).

1. You know you trying to exclude them from Arcana but then you make exceptions for all of those other ones when the fact is you could make the same kind of cases for each and every class by assigning a certain kind of personality or effective background just like you did. So, why aren't you for it when you don't have to add so many other ifs or specific situations which doesn't culminate the general class?
2. Have you thought about what I said before this?

HorridElemental
2014-11-08, 07:54 AM
1. You know you trying to exclude them from Arcana but then you make exceptions for all of those other ones when the fact is you could make the same kind of cases for each and every class by assigning a certain kind of personality or effective background just like you did. So, why aren't you for it when you don't have to add so many other ifs or specific situations which doesn't culminate the general class?
2. Have you thought about what I said before this?
It isn't about trying to exclude them. It is about excluding them from magic because they are not magic based any more than the Fighter. If they want to know about magic their background will dictate that or their subclass will.

Annnnnd done with this topic of the class.

Amnoriath
2014-11-08, 10:37 AM
So, how about this yet?

Have you worked on this or not?