PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with the monk... por favor

Max Caysey
2014-11-02, 10:49 AM
Hey guys...

I have some questions which I'm unable to find the answers on. My google-fu is weak...

When using flurry of blows... can two weapon fighting be used? So as to gain extra attacks? And what about being hasted? That would give another attack right?

Lat night, we had an issue with Scorpion's Grasp (http://dndtools.eu/feats/sandstorm--85/scorpions-grasp--2524/). Now out monk hit with unarmed... dealt damage and then initiated grappel and won. According to the normal grapple rules (Step 3) when winnin the opposed grapple check, you may deal damage as by an unarmed attack. TRhe question is whether or not the monk is allowed to deal damage twise in the round he initiates grapple by way of the scorpions grasp feat?

Mr. Pie
2014-11-02, 11:28 AM
Monk using flurry of blows while dual wielding works, just keep in mind they take the flurry penalty to all attacks, main and off hand. Haste stacks with flurry/dual wield as well.

I am not familiar with Scorpion's Grasp. Reading the link you provided it says:
If you initiated the grapple while armed, however, you cannot make additional grapple checks to deal damage during the round in which you use this feat. RAW this reads to me that you can still make a second attack for winning the initiation roll on the grapple if you are unarmed.

Max Caysey
2014-11-02, 11:42 AM
Monk using flurry of blows while dual wielding works, just keep in mind they take the flurry penalty to all attacks, main and off hand. Haste stacks with flurry/dual wield as well.

I am not familiar with Scorpion's Grasp. Reading the link you provided it says: RAW this reads to me that you can still make a second attack for winning the initiation roll on the grapple if you are unarmed.

Thanks...

Would that mean, that I would get flurry of blows with both hands... effectively doubling the number of attacks under flurry of blows or just one more attack in total?

Urpriest
2014-11-02, 11:49 AM
Thanks...

Would that mean, that I would get flurry of blows with both hands... effectively doubling the number of attacks under flurry of blows or just one more attack in total?

Just one more attack in total. And many people would argue that you need two distinct weapons for TWF, so you'd need to be wielding something besides just an unarmed strike.

Also note that if you're playing 3.P none of this works since the designers apparently have difficulties with reading comprehension and had the impression that Flurry and TWF were actually the same thing all along somehow.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-02, 11:52 AM
Thanks...

flurry of blows adds in an extra 1 or 2 attacks (depending on your level) When you full attack, note, I said full attack, so you cant gain these extra attacks more than once each turn, unless you have means of getting extra full attacks.

Max Caysey
2014-11-02, 11:58 AM
Just one more attack in total. And many people would argue that you need two distinct weapons for TWF, so you'd need to be wielding something besides just an unarmed strike.

Also note that if you're playing 3.P none of this works since the designers apparently have difficulties with reading comprehension and had the impression that Flurry and TWF were actually the same thing all along somehow.

flurry of blows adds in an extra 1 or 2 attacks (depending on your level) When you full attack, note, I said full attack, so you cant gain these extra attacks more than once each turn, unless you have means of getting extra full attacks.

Ok... thanks guys. No need to go that road I see. Haste should be a good choice though.

Any further comments on Scorpion's Grasp?

Urpriest
2014-11-02, 12:19 PM
Ok... thanks guys. No need to go that road I see. Haste should be a good choice though.

Any further comments on Scorpion's Grasp?

Scorpion's Grasp is weird, in that it's sort of like Improved Grab but doesn't actually grant Improved Grab. Improved Grab specifies that you don't deal the extra "on hold" damage, Scorpion's Grasp doesn't. You can either interpret this through the lens of exception-based design ("They didn't include that line, so Scorpion's Grasp deals damage twice"), or through consistency ("It's clearly a poorly written version of Improved Grab and should follow the same rules."). The former is more RAW, though.

Max Caysey
2014-11-03, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the answers...