PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Glyph of warding and Clutch of Orcus

Raunchel
2014-11-02, 11:05 AM
Today in our game the cleric wanted to leave behind a little surprise for his enemies. He decided to use glyph of warding along with Clutch of Orcus. I ruled that it would be possible, even though it has a duration of concentration, but said that it would be a one-time thing, while I looked up how the rules would work here. Of course, I couldn't find anything and again turn to the wisdom of the Playground to ask for help. Can duration: concentration spells be cast into a glyph of warding, and how would it work?

ace rooster
2014-11-02, 11:18 AM
Today in our game the cleric wanted to leave behind a little surprise for his enemies. He decided to use glyph of warding along with Clutch of Orcus. I ruled that it would be possible, even though it has a duration of concentration, but said that it would be a one-time thing, while I looked up how the rules would work here. Of course, I couldn't find anything and again turn to the wisdom of the Playground to ask for help. Can duration: concentration spells be cast into a glyph of warding, and how would it work?

You don't have to spend an action concentrating on a concentration spell on the round it is cast, so I would rule that the spell is cast, and then no further actions are spent maintaining concentration. Clutch of Orcus would last 1 round. Other than 1 round of paralysis (which is probably irrelevant) you would probably be better off with a standard blast glyph.

SiuiS
2014-11-02, 01:13 PM
So the question becomes, is there a way to extend that? Concentration? Can you use the extend spell feat on the clutch of Orcus, doubling it's one round? Can you use any of the existing concentration boosting shenanigans to maintain concentration? Is there some way to know when the ward is triggered so the caster can concentrate (ridiculous but seems legit)?

And what happens to the situation when a bleeding, smoking and still-beating heart appears in the caster's hand days later? :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2014-11-02, 01:45 PM
A Clutch of Orcus sounds like something rudisplorkers would encounter as a punishment.

"The monster eggs you gathered hatched, and out comes a clutch of...ORCUS!"

Raunchel
2014-11-02, 02:04 PM
And what happens to the situation when a bleeding, smoking and still-beating heart appears in the caster's hand days later? :smallbiggrin:

That would be absolutely amazing. So cool that is has to happen, and as the DM I can choose the moment for a halfling heart to end up in his hand. Like when he's trying to pass for a god guy. :smallbiggrin: