PDA

View Full Version : Some clarification about actions plz

Kerilstrasz
2014-11-02, 12:04 PM
Among other things, in my turn i can take an action & a bonus action (if i have a feature that allows it).

1. So, if i don't have a feature that specifically requires a BA, i can't take a BA?

Assuming i can take a BA (spell, second or special attack)..

2. Can i take my BA before my normal action?

&

I know that I can't take 2 actions at the same turn,

3. Can i trade my action for a second BA in the same round?

Thank you for your time :smallwink:

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 12:16 PM
1. Correct.

2. yes

and, I think 3. No

Daishain
2014-11-02, 12:24 PM
1.) correct

2.) it depends on what you're doing with it.

For instance bonus action spells can be cast at any point in your turn, before or after your normal action. Bonus attacks however typically can only occur at the same time as a normal attack. (and fluff wise, usually occur afterwards)

3.) To my knowledge, not by RAW. However, most DMs are likely to let you if you ask. After all bonus actions are supposed to take less time and effort than standard ones. Bear in mind that not all bonus action mechanics will allow it anyways.

Shadow
2014-11-02, 12:38 PM
To clarify the discrepancy between the two answers you've recieved for question 2:
It depends on the bonus action. In a vaccuum, you can take a bonus action at any time on your turn.
However, some bonus actions are only triggered (and allowable) by certain Action being taken, which order of operations would force you to take them after the Action in question.
For instance, Cunning Action can be taken at any time, but the bonus action attack from Martial Arts or Crossbow Expert require an attack to trigger. Some DMs may allow you to take them at any time as long as you still take the action that triggered them, but because a strict reading of the RAW would disallow this ask your DM to be sure.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 12:40 PM
The discrepancy was largely because I haven't had coffee yet and incorrectly typed "No".

There is nothing stopping you, in the general case, from using your bonus action before your regular action. However, many sources of bonus actions specify another kind of action you must do beforehand - for example, two-weapon fighting requires using the attack action before your bonus action attack.

odigity
2014-11-02, 01:03 PM
For instance bonus action spells can be cast at any point in your turn, before or after your normal action. Bonus attacks however typically can only occur at the same time as a normal attack. (and fluff wise, usually occur afterwards)

Since it doesn't say anything about "immediately" or "same target", I've been allowing my character to use some of his movement between his attack action and his Polearm Master-granted bonus action attack so that he can target a different foe with it. I hope I'm not incorrect.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 01:09 PM
Since it doesn't say anything about "immediately" or "same target", I've been allowing my character to use some of his movement between his attack action and his Polearm Master-granted bonus action attack so that he can target a different foe with it. I hope I'm not incorrect.

I don't think anything in the rules contradicts this.

Daishain
2014-11-02, 01:15 PM
I'm away from my book at the moment, so I can't check up on the wording.

However, my interpretation had been that the bonus attack from Polearm Master was a follow through using the momentum of the primary attack and is not truly a separate action.

If that is the case, it would make sense to be able to attack a different target within range if RAW allows, but not so much to move 15' and then do so.

Interpret as you wish however, I think the above would be RAI at best, since I don't recall them using the term immediate either.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 01:47 PM
I actually don't think that works RAW either.

The text of Polearm Master says "when you take the Attack action and attack with..."

The bonus action attack occurs at the time of the attack, so I'd imagine it has to be paired with an actual attack.

odigity
2014-11-02, 02:53 PM
I actually don't think that works RAW either.

The text of Polearm Master says "when you take the Attack action and attack with..."

The bonus action attack occurs at the time of the attack, so I'd imagine it has to be paired with an actual attack.

How do you resolve that with the fact that the PHB explicitly says you can use movement in between attacks that are part of the same Attack action (for characters with the Extra Attack class feature)?

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 03:02 PM
How do you resolve that with the fact that the PHB explicitly says you can use movement in between attacks that are part of the same Attack action (for characters with the Extra Attack class feature)?

Your bonus action attack is not part of the Attack action, it is a separate thing.

I would allow the person to make his first attack, move 15 feet, make his second attack, then make his bonus attack, though.

odigity
2014-11-02, 03:17 PM
Your bonus action attack is not part of the Attack action, it is a separate thing.

It's easy to assume that, much like it's easy to assume that reactions only happen on someone else's turn, but I don't think it explicitly says that anywhere in the book. It just says you can only take one bonus action and one reaction per turn. There's no reason either can't happen in the middle of an Attack action under the right circumstances.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 03:41 PM
It's easy to assume that, much like it's easy to assume that reactions only happen on someone else's turn, but I don't think it explicitly says that anywhere in the book. It just says you can only take one bonus action and one reaction per turn. There's no reason either can't happen in the middle of an Attack action under the right circumstances.

In fact, you can explicitly do other kinds of actions/movement inbetween attacks of your Attack action.

However, the text of the feat says When you use your attack action to make an attack. The feat specifies exactly when the trigger condition occurs, which is after you make the attack, not any time on a turn that you made an attack.

odigity
2014-11-02, 03:49 PM
However, the text of the feat says When you use your attack action to make an attack. The feat specifies exactly when the trigger condition occurs, which is after you make the attack, not any time on a turn that you made an attack.

If we want to read it that strictly, then we can still maintain some flexibility by having an Extra Attack in the mix, since either attack can be used as the BA trigger...

Example: Using an Attack action to make 2 attacks.

attack target A
if A is dead:
> move to target B, hit it with your second attack and PM-granted bonus action attack
if A is not dead:
> hit it with your PM-granted bonus action attack
> if A is dead, move to target B, hit it with your second attack
> if A is still not dead, hit it with your second attack

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-02, 03:56 PM
Yup, hence where I said:

I would allow the person to make his first attack, move 15 feet, make his second attack, then make his bonus attack, though.