PDA

View Full Version : Inarlon [IC]

nothingforyou
2014-11-02, 12:18 PM
Inarlon

Roll20 Campaign and Map (https://app.roll20.net/join/563056/BN7xXA)
Out-of-Character Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?381358-Inarlon-OOC&p=18348206)

Mariner's Retreat, Leviathan Fortress

It was a busy night, and the sounds of chatter and dining filled the tavern of Mariner's Retreat. The tavern was well-built and homely, with good furnishings and welcoming locals.

The front doors swung open, and a hooded figure walked in, her face concealed partway. She walked to the bar and spoke to the barkeeper.

"Good evening, Gerod," she said.

"Good to see you again, Miss Andreva," said Gerod. "Any particular reason you're in that?" Gerod indicated Andreva's hooded clothing.

"Trying to avoid attention."

"The only attention you'll get is good attention. You're a hero 'round these parts."

"I appreciate the sentiment, but I'd prefer to stay low. Now, to business, Gerod—do you know of any newly discovered ruins?"

Gerod looked up from the glass he was polishing. "That's a question you should ask our Lord, miss. He's the best connected in the city."

Andreva shook her head. "I have. I've also already spoken to the Midnight Hunters and the Shieldbreakers. They know nothing."

"Why would I know anything, then?"

"You know a lot of wandering adventurers, friend."

"Very well, Miss, I've heard rumors of many. I don't know how true they are. Many people here are braggarts."

"Run them by me anyways. I appreciate this, Gerod."

"Anything for you, Miss. Now, here's what I've heard..."
Round 1: August 1st, Year 3567

All over Inarlon, new settlers and explorers began arriving. They were prepared and determined to make something of this mysterious land.

History was about to repeat itself.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:40 PM
A ship bearing the markings of a Potrelen woman arrives on one of Inarlon's many shore. The ship is anchored, and all get off. Most stay back and guard the ship, but a few go out and check the surrounding area.

Explorers are all L4/L5 followers, her cohort, and herself.
ACTION: EXPLORE HEX

nothingforyou
2014-11-02, 11:54 PM
Zupote traveled the rolling wild grasslands but came across nothing of interest. There was no significant animal life to speak of, aside from a few detritus feeders spotted on the way, and overall the exploration went peacefully.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:58 PM
EDIT: First I establish a Kingdom Turn 0. Will edit into Leadership doc.

Half of this small band moves to explore northwest, and the other half return to the ship.

You know what they're doing and I want that secret from others. The L4 followers return.

Navian
2014-11-03, 12:05 AM
Kr spun about as she leapt through the portal and slammed into the cold, knee-deep water. Despite her soaking full suit of platemail, she hurled spear after cold iron spear. "Stop them!" was her simple command to those who had preceded her. Bolts and slingstones rained through the gap from the longboat that drifted behind her. A few carried on, even after the portal winked shut. Wide enough for a seagoing vessel, in one moment it consumed all of her vision, in the next, there was only the roiling ocean and clouded sky above. The missiles striking the water barely disturbed the sudden silence. Kr hissed so low only the keenest scouts could hear, "That was too early."

To the rest of the colonists, she called out, "She will come. We will wait for her. To shore; now, we're home!"

Kr appreciated, for once, that most of her leader's followers were prone to distraction. They stumbled onto the beach, and soon calls came that they'd found the river. "It's wide," commented the one Kr thought of as the 'little green monster', observantly. On her own part, she staggered through sand and mud, falling occasionally, but refusing to accept help, and somehow managed to land on the beach without ending drowned on the seabed. From there she marched out to set camp, and dry and oil her most sodden belongings. It would be a long night, and so would the next night, and the next.

Kr spends the second day exploring the hex with Ale, Erika, and Lakhinsia (so that she can keep an eye on her.) Everyone else is securing the camp and its resources.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-03, 12:08 AM
As the crisp salt air invigorates him, a half-elven man steps out of his ship's cabin and walks the length of the ship to disembark. As he walks down the plank of wood, he takes the rabbit from his arms, and gently slips it into a belt pouch at his hip, keeping one hand on her soft white fur, thumb massaging the temple of the adorable animal. So, we've arrived at long last. Neil, you and the Wrathclaw family are to protect these lands while we set up camp here. Paige, you and I will venture down the river to ensure we've arrived at a location safe enough to stay.

After pausing for a moment, he shook his head. Actually, James, why don't you come with us? As a small, but beautiful woman stepped forward, the leader knelt. Ah, Janea, my love. I'll be back in just a few days. Don't worry, Paige and James will keep me safe. And the rest of our forces will keep you and our family safe. Kissing the woman on the forehead, he stood up and gave everyone a nod. We'll leave tomorrow though, I want to stay here long enough to be sure you're set up, and we need to celebrate a little, don't we?

Everyone Explores my starting hex during day 1.

nothingforyou
2014-11-03, 12:34 AM
The exploration went smoothly across the grassy fields. She found nothing except some negligible small creatures, such as squirrels.
Whoops, I will respond tomorrow to the rest of the exploration.

The exploration went smoothly across the grassy fields. He found nothing except some negligible small creatures, such as hedgehogs.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-03, 12:37 AM
The next morning, Paige, Neil and Rosebud all left camp early in the morning. Things had settled down so well, that Rosebud decided it would be better to let the Wrathclaw family stay together, but he couldn't explore with just two sets of eyes. Heading down the river, the trio set to ensure the next few miles of river were safe enough to farm. The Wrathclaw seemed to enjoy helping build houses. Everything seemed like it was all going to work out.

Navian
2014-11-03, 02:13 AM
On the second day, after all the goods of the expedition had been accounted for, Kr set out with a few hand-picked confederates to ensure it was safe to begin building the new town she had in mind. More adventurers had been streaming in from across the planes; Kr didn't quite know how or why, but someone, perhaps the goddess herself, was promoting the expedition by way of resources that House Khon couldn't dream of.

Kr's adventure into the plains was downright grueling, despite a lack of excitement. The most deadly encounters were with gopher holes, which were dealt with grace for the most part, aside from the constant heckling from Apura's pet heiress. It came to a head after that same individual sprained her ankle in one, and screamed for half a minute even after Kr healed it. It seemed the experience had only taught the girl that turning to scream in her companions' faces gave her some power over them, at least until Ale slammed the pommels of both her swords inbetween the young scion's shoulder blades at the party cleric's unspoken order. The return trip was even quieter, as a result.

Pioneers eagerly rushed out into the wild terrain as soon as Kr raised her hand to give the 'all clear' signal. She'd have to give them a good reason to return, lest this rebellion fragment into infighting like every one before it (and like every opponent those rebellions ever had, for that matter.) A monument to the art of dance, a feast hall, a place of celebrations and music... Kr liked none of these things, but these, along with secure buildings to sleep it all off in, were what her people needed most for the nonce. It all began to take shape.

Apura's return did not come as expected. There was no report of it, not even an inkling, not save the oracle's random mutterings that Kr made a point of ignoring, and which contradicted themselves every week, in any case. Kr was awoken in the middle of the day by her leader deciding to stand on her chest. She was a bit lighter than Kr remembered. They locked eyes and stared. Kr couldn't believe what she was seeing, though Apura seemed to be enjoying it so much that it left little doubt as to her identity. Kr went through a battery of tests to ensure she was not dreaming, including throwing Apura off of her and dumping a bucket of water over herself. Apura remained patient, and hovered in mid-air in the center of the room. Eventually she decided to fill the silence, since that was not something Kr ever tended to do, and spoke enchantingly, as she usually did. The voice was familiar, but filled with many strange undertones. "Satisfied?"

Kr was not. "If you do not start explaining, my liege, I will swallow my sword and my helmet before I am satisfied."

Apura knew better than to toy with her most loyal compatriot, though she did consider it for a moment. "I have returned--and before you object, what I mean is: I have returned from the cold grip of death to lead our people, in this new land. I can't explain why, I'm afraid, as that was never explained to me--nor has it been ever--but it was explained to me why I'm in this form... But I'd rather not get into that right now, if you would be so kind." It was a feat to grin disarmingly while making her smile look like a sprung bear trap, but Apura was capable. Kr tilted her head and glared at her incredulously, which Apura took as a sign of agreement.

She took a perch at the foot of the bed to spare Kr's head from all the bobbing, and went on. "You've done well, so I need you to lead me to the hall for my, ahem, 'formal announcement'. With this new form comes numerous powers, including, let's call it, 'selective invisibility'. I will be using that until your speech is prepared and coming out of whoever-does-that's mouth. Am I clear?"

Kr stopped a moment to parse this, her instincts taking over from her indignation. "You're incognito until it's time to reveal your return. Someone needs to announce you. It will be Mulien... no, Kuziora to start with. Mulien will take over before Kuziora can put her foot in her mouth. We've been preparing a feast to celebrate the new construction, I don't need to change that. It's in two days."

"Good, good!" Apura was almost shrill with enthusiasm. That was uncommon for her. Uncommon, but not without known circumstances. Kr asked uselessly, "Are you sure you don't want to... 'talk'?"

Apura's response was quite bubbly. "Say what you mean, there's no need to mince words with me! Wait, check that. If you'd been blunt I would be very upset. Yes, but later. Much later. Preferably never. Farewell for now!"

And with that, she vanished. Kr called out just as uselessly, "Wait!" She then made a mental note to stop saying such things and went back to sleep. The preparations were made, the new dance hall was unveiled, the drinks were almost made free before a simultaneous shout of "No!" from half of Apura's councillors all at once put an end to that, and the night itself was a blur for Kr, who had unfortunately insisted that the drinks at least should be free for all council members.

Well, it must have been a good time, she didn't get any blood on anything she owned at all.

Starting with 47 BP, Kr orders the hex claimed and prepares the settlement, constructing a dance hall and some housing with one lot's separation from the river, near the center of the district. This leaves 38 BP left for the start of the first turn.

Silva Stormrage
2014-11-03, 04:02 PM
Tecord's men and supply brush up along the coast. Tecord steps off the boat, glad to be free from such chaotic and disorderly activities as sailing and turns to survey the surrounding area. It seems to be mostly plains with mountains off to the far side. Tecord instructs his men to scout out the surrounding landscape to find a suitable location. His acolytes chant "Yes Sir!" as they scour the coastline.

18 of my acolyte believers bind Malphas (They auto succeed) and use Bird's Eye Viewing to summon a bird which they see out of. I will have 6 go directly east, 6 scout the northern coastline 6 scout the southern coastline. If they encounter a river they will have one bird break off and scout up the river. If they encounter a village of some sorts they will have one bird break off and observe the village for a decent amount of time (An hour or so), if they encounter a forest they will send two birds to scout out in both directions to determine it's approximate size. If they encounter a wandering monster of apparent importance they will make note of its location and report back to me if they do find one. If they spot a mountain range they will return to their bodies and have a doorman open a portal for them and 50 eldritch blasters to the other side of the mountain range and then resume their scouting from the other side.

Unless something randomly kills my six summonable birds they should explore the hex 8 hexes east of my landing location. As the hex is next to all the appropriate resources needed to found a city Tecord views it as an acceptable location.

My "Doormen" followers will open portals bringing everyone and the supplies into that hex once my scouting acolytes are finished scouting. (They will scout for 6 hours).

After finding a suitable hex Tecord will instruct his acolytes to continue scouting (But now send 3 in every direction). And have them report back at the night. The rest of his followers will determine if this is an appropriate hex to settle in and begin preparations for constructing a settlement.

Tecord calmly thinks to himself as his well trained followers move in fluid efficient motions. Yes… this is much more orderly. We can mine from the nearby mountains, harvest wood from the nearby forest and use the lake to allow us to farm. Everything here will have its place in our new home.

nothingforyou
2014-11-04, 01:33 AM
For many of the new settlers, they spent their first night on Inarlon not sleeping early but rather staying up late to admire the nature. The untouched, pristine beauty of the land, unmarred by civilization. The wild grass blowing under the wind, the clean and cool air, the incredibly bright stars, the silvery moon reflecting upon the calm waters, the snow-capped mountains, the dark-green verdant woods.

Yet, even so, the strangest thing happened on the first night. Somewhere, towards the center of Inarlon, flashed a golden light, so strong and bright that many had to avert their eyes. The golden light persisted for but a second, but for that second night had turned to day, and the world was bathed in the most surreal shimmering shine of gold and silver. The air itself seemed to "ignite" with golden light, parts of it shimmering as if producing light on their own. None in Inarlon could miss the light.

The flash of light was accompanied by dead silence. If there was noise, it was muted by the flash. Nothing could be heard but one's own breathing and heartbeat. The light seemed to wash over and cleanse everyone in a golden radiance. Strangely enough, though, spells with verbal components could be cast through the silence, so long as one mouthed the appropriate words and made the (however futile) effort to speak out loud.

From the first day onwards, this flash of light occurred just past midnight, every night. An annoyance to those trying to sleep, but something wondrous to those who experienced it the first time.

To be clear, your actions do not yet include constructing buildings or preparing the hex? Nor are you exploring down the river, you're just traveling down?

Rosebud and his companions traveled along the river under the midday sun. The water flowed calmly towards the sea and the grassy lands sloped gently up.

As the group marched on, they saw in the distance eight armed men taking a break, eating rations while sitting upon rocks. The men ate in silence, fairly tense.
The settlement went up without a hitch, the dance hall and house finished within a week.

The environment around the settlement was peaceable and serene at night, and calm and temperate during the day, although the evergreen woods nearby were thick and daunting.
The land Tecord found himself on was wild and untouched by civilization, yet even so, it was not calm and peaceable. There was something ancient and dangerous about it. The grass was dark and old and the mountains in the distance had scars formed many eons ago.

Malphas' birds took flight and for the next five days explored the landscape. One got the impression that it was a land which held many lost secrets. At first there was nothing to see except the plains and a few wolverines, but eventually, Tecord's eyes in the sky saw several extremely large wolverines leading packs of smaller ones, and then—

Giants. Large humanoids carrying their clubs crudely, wandering the land in groups. Further in the treeline were even larger and more muscular giants.

Fortunately, all the big wolverines and giants were near the treeline directly east and northeast of Tecord's position, far enough from the shore where Tecord was.

If you continue exploring, say so. Also, I can't find references to the Doormen, can you point me to where you have their stats?

Silva Stormrage
2014-11-04, 02:45 AM
They are level 5 followers and are in Colin's sheet. The book location for them is also located there. Also I was unclear where the Giants are patrolling. I assume this is in the forest above where I teleported to

Tecord finding the inhabitants… displeasing but not too worrisome. He has dealt with their type before and he will not be intimidated by brute force. He claims the current hex and build's a settlement giving his people a place to stay.

He sets out his forces to defend mostly from the northern forest and he has all of his acolytes scour the forest with their scouts. They are attempting to find either a base of the giants or a singular lone giant scout. If they find a lone giant they attempt to capture one.

Outside of the city all eldritch blasters (1st level believers) and all ghost marshals (Level 2 followers) and all ebon cultists (4th level followers) along with Tecord and Contessa. They are spread out with Tecord in the center with all others 50ft away from Tecord in a circle facing inward towards him. All ghost marshals ready an action to use telekinesis on the giant to trip him. Tecord readies an action to use ego whip on the giant if it appears next to him.

The scout describes the scene well enough for Shade (6th level believer) to teleport there ethereal. He locates the singular giant and if it is large size or smaller. Teleports him (by either possessing an object near him that is touching him and then teleporting or by turning invisible dismissing his etherealness and then teleporting him) directly next to Tecord.

If he appears next to Tecord then he gets hit and I assume we do the battle on roll20.

Do we get to roll economy first turn to get the BP? If so add this amount to the total and final result.
Economy: [roll0] Divided by 3

Claiming the Hex: -1 BP
Building a House: -3 BP
Building a Townhall: -22 BP
Terrain Improvements:
Farm: -2 BP
Road: -1 BP
End BP: 21

darklink_shadow
2014-11-04, 05:04 AM
OOC: No, I prepared the hex yesterday, and am setting out to clear the next hex down the river, whilst my people start building the settlement. Once I do my kingdom turn, I will construct a few buildings. I reference an amulet below, it is the tongues effect.

As Rosebud sees the men eating, he raises a hand to tell his small company to halt. Remember what the professor advised. Come, ready for war, hoping for peace. With a nod, the two confirmed they were already ready for anything. Their appearance were those of simple farmers, but under that guise was that of a certain red hatted fey. With a gentle roll of his fingers, [roll0] frogs appeared.

Knowing he could count on them if anything went amiss, Rosebud approached group. With a muttered syllable, he activated the magic of his amulet and spoke, Hail, friends! Rosebud began cheerfully. I've just began to explore. Any chance you gentlemen know your way around this place fairly well? It's an awfully dangerous place, I hear, but my friends and I hope to settle this land, and bring peace to this island, so that we may bring about an era of peace to this land. We would appreciate any aid you can give us in this endeavor.

Navian
2014-11-04, 03:03 PM
It was two days later. Apura had given quite a speech to her followers. Kr discovered (rather after the fact, seeing as at the time she was in a stupor) that she had temporarily been appointed to the position of 'Head Administrator of the Luminous Shard', both name and title not having been announced before that evening. Apura had assigned herself to a role in which she would be responsible for mediating disputes, leading expeditions, and handling all external communications, if any were to occur. Kr had only encountered one shipload of colonists like them since arriving, and with Mulien's help had convinced them to land far, far away. Nevertheless, Apura's role was so active--apparently she did not need to eat or sleep--that Kr almost felt better about the immense burden of managing the entire settlement when she'd never personally led more than one squad of soldiers before.

For anyone else, and for any other cause, she would never put up with it. She made this abundantly clear to her leader during one of their house meetings, and barely stopped short of threatening her. It must have struck a chord, since within minutes Apura had resumed sharing secrets with her.

"...So, as it was explained to me, 'pure of heart' does not have to mean 'pure goodness'." Kr didn't follow, but Apura was trying to explain why she was two feet shorter than Kr, with a supernaturally potent voice, as well platinum feathered wings and hair that apparently resisted even magical dyes; rather than ten and a half feet tall, and that nice pale blue hair (only slightly outshined by her eyes,) a distinct lack of wings, and... well, it had still been a supernaturally potent voice, just not on the same level, if that made any sense. Kr realized that Apura was waiting for a response, and to encourage the behavior, she provided one. "As amusing as it would be to agree with that assessment, I don't believe you exemplify 'pure chaos'. Even if so, would not a lillend form be more appropriate?"

Apura waved her down with both hands while also shaking her head, providing about as much emphasis as possible without clowning."No, hardly, I mean it's a matter of taste, but just, no." She sat down on the edges of the table, and stopped pacing about it in circles. "She didn't really say a thing about pure chaos. It could be anything. But it's best to leave it unspecified, don't you think, so that no one can argue with it. Certainly, I couldn't argue with that."

Kr wasn't convinced, so Apura made sure not to let her get a word in edgewise. "Look, the goddess is great and all, but it's not from being forthright and following rules or logic. Heck, she essentially is full-time mole in the Abyss, she couldn't do that if she was more rigid than you are. Dishonesty is a good part of why she is great--because the rules about what happens to the souls of the dead would make things very dull if they were followed strictly. (And besides which, it's not like I died fair and square.)"

Kr narrowed her eyes and pulled on that thread. "I thought you couldn't remember how you died?" Apura brushed it off. "No, of course not."

Kr further commented, with some perverse enjoyment, "There was a pillar of light--" but Apura cut her off. "Completely unfair, let me tell you! That scroll must have been scribed by a blind monkey shaman. And another thing, I think she did that on purpose." Apura aggressively wagged her finger at something somewhere off to the left.

"Who did what on purpose?" Apura was hard to keep up with sometimes. It seemed she even had trouble keeping up with herself, as she answered Kr's question. "The goddess, the scroll, the--you know what, I don't care. Short version, the goddess is a schemer. It rubs off on you, living in the lower planes. And her present scheme is that we colonize what's-it-called, for the glorious revolution."

"Inarlon," supplied Kr.

"Innelong, that's correct. So! Shall we make our people abundantly rich, so they may most charitably sponsor my resurrection, and so that I may at least technically fulfill my life's purpose to some extent?" Rather than simply wait for a response, Apura jumped off the table, walked up in front of Kr, and began beating her head against's her cohort's cuisses repeatedly. After the third time, Kr realized this was not going to stop until she reacted, so she hastily swept up Apura and set her back on the table, then stepped away, clasping her hands behind her back to hide the evidence. "There's no need to be cruel, my lord. Know that we all support you... though I sorely admit, it all depends upon your continued service as the goddess' pawn. I must have words with her on the subject."

"Oh, please," moaned Apura, dramatically. "We only just escaped to the surface. Let's hold off on crusading against our own patron deity. Besides which, without her empowerment, I would be only a hollow shell, even if I were still alive. As it is, I fear I might become lackey to a less understanding power, if I did not have her support."

"I'm aware," spoke Kr in a low growl. "Do not mistake my zeal for reckless abandon. I have gone beyond that. You saw to that, if you do not remember." Apura muttered to herself, then promptly sat again at the table's edge and twiddled her fingers. "Hmph, of course."

Kr pressed on, affirming herself with a pump of her fist. "All beings who do not oppress or coerce others deserve to enjoy life and freedom, my liege. Even you." She flicked out a finger to point. Apura gave a short laugh at the gesture before speaking. "Too true. I'll take what I get, though. The life of a god's pawn is infinitely superior than that of a maimed, starving, half-dead youth in the streets of what's-it-called."

Kr beamed. "It's now called 'Zakhonia'. The city was named after you, my lord. What it was called before that? No one cares." That earned another laugh from Apura, which went on a bit longer. She strived to speak through it, anyway. "Right, that's it exactly! And the new town we're in, now?"

"Rokhoniziga'deni, in honour of you, and our first landfall," stated Kr proudly. Apura cheerfully undermined it, quite quickly."And in honour of slurring, I note! It's a almost a shame that there's so many immigrants of inferior race and tongue coming here, but so long as they have strong backs and steady hands, I'll be glad to see every one of them fed and well-cared for. I appreciate the implication that this is only our beachhead."

Kr rolled her eyes, then responded in exasperation, "It was the green one's idea, and she had your friend 'the priestess of nothing' perform the translations. The entire council agreed, though. None of us care to divine what is 'proper' Undercommon, not even you, my lord Khon."

Once again, the laugh. "Quite right, though mark me, I will be sure to define by example what truly is 'proper speech' in every language we encounter on this plane. You won't see me scribing teacher's texts, though--after all, we have people for that."

"Barely, yes; but this conversation has taken a suddenly boring turn. I do not care for pedantry and I will not open grammar schools, or indeed schools of any sort during my, let's call it, 'reign'. Which I humbly submit that I have a desire to see ended as soon as possible. Inform me, if you would--" Apura had begun flapping her arm like silly, and Kr realized belatedly that her speech had somehow been transformed into a series of bird chirps on its way out of her mouth. Her face flushed with anger. Apura stopped flapping her arm.

"Why, yes, little Zakheli! I know that you do not like pedantry. But did you know how pedantic it sounds when you explain to me why you do not want to do things you do not want to do? Gods above, endure it. I've endured worse. Your reward will come, and I'll suffer in your place, but for now, I do not want to hear about it. (By the way, I still understood every word you said.)" She turned to the side and vaulted back up onto the tabletop to pace again, turning her back to Kr, who for her part, gritted her teeth. After an extended, defensive silence, Apura looked over her shoulder to find Kr still fuming. "So, what do you care for? You've objected to my leadership goals many times in the past. What would you do with this power, to further the agenda you've always wanted me set on?"

Kr remained silent for long enough that Apura was laying flat on her face on the tabletop, half-asleep, by the time she spoke up. "The well-being of our people comes first. You will always be our icon, our strength, even five hundred years from now, but it's not about you. Our people need you, but that's not why I follow you. I follow you because we share a holy mission. I care for that mission, and my focus shall be exclusively on seeing our people to prosperity in this new land, so long as no one else with the necessary focus and drive to do so resides here."

The somnolescent platinum-winged angelic-variant Apura turned to the side for a moment, then pushed herself off the table with her hands, shook her head, and sat up. "In this particular house, you mean?" Kr raised her eyebrow and decided to answer in a deadpan fashion, "Yes, in this particular house."

Apura threw up her hands, and declared as if in protest and frustration, "I'm working on it!" She immediately changed her tone back to a cheerful one. "I still don't understand why you don't enjoy ruling everything." Kr crossed her arms and pouted. "I admit my crusade for free drinks tends to do more harm than good, and would rather be in a position to protest the lack of them than to issue more edicts in favour of them. All joking aside, the true reason is I can't stand your followers. There is literally only one person on the town council I would have ever chosen to work with if not for you, and, I should point out, I met her before I met you. Somehow, all the world is more tolerable when it's you that deals with this motley crew."

This earned a suspiciously serious-looking sage nod. "Ah, I see." After a few more moments of blistering silence, Apura continued. "I can't take that burden right now, not all of it, though I can remind them to treat you with respect, lest I scream in their ears." Kr chimed in with "Like mother, like daughter," but Apura continued undaunted. "What would you say if I suggested we appoint someone else as Head Administrator?"

Kr gave an annoyed huff and rubbed her forehead, then said, "I'd say no one should be forced into this position, and anyone willing to volunteer for it is a fool. You will take this position within three years, or else find me a suitable replacement. I'm a soldier, not a politician."

Apura looked disappointed, but nodded dejectedly, before suddenly grinning. "Right. Well, Lakhinsia won't likely be ready for at least thirty times that long, but I should be by then, yes. It's agreed then. Tell me who's bothering you and I'll put a stop to it. I can give some advice, too. Only, thank you for filling in. It's much more fun to listen to you complain about my work than to complain about it myself."

Kr commented boredly, "So long as you're entertained. Now, as it stands, I need a break from talking to you. So long as I own this house and this town at your behest, I may as well ask you to leave." Apura nodded and magically disappeared, and for a moment Kr returned to the business of preparing for supper. Hearing rummaging in the next room, and finding no patience, she nonchalantly hurled a sack of flour through the doorway, resulting in an explosion of powder, a series of coughs, and momentarily foiled angelic invisibility.

"Oops, I didn't see you there," Kr noted. Apura did not attempt to respond, merely coughing some more, and recasting her invisibility. She abandoned the chest of goods and flew out of the house, stopping briefly to shout in through a window, "This town really needs a bath!" Kr couldn't help but smile, even as she cleaned up the mess and resumed cooking. They could afford some improvements, certainly.

nothingforyou
2014-11-04, 09:18 PM
Tecord's Doormen swiftly relocated the group to a more suitable location on the other side of the mountains, completely avoiding the giants in the treeline.

The new location was perpetually in the shade of the nearby mountains. The grass grew thick and tall, making it slightly more difficult than usual to navigate. The lake to the east was perfectly still, and its surface was dark and unreadable. The entire region was foreboding.

Though giants were no longer a threat, they were now on the other side of the mountain.

Does Tecord proceed to attempt to capture one by teleporting back? Also, Tecord's settlement hasn't been founded yet. You need to build an inn, monastery, watchtower, or something. One of the foundation buildings. This must be done before the turn begins.
In the middle of night, under the bright moonlight, a longship slipped into the river right by Apura and Kr's new settlement. Some of the settlement's patrolling parties quietly raised alarm with the leadership as the longship began turning into the river. By the time Apura and Kr had responded, the longship was well into the river and quickly leaving.

The longship had its sails out and only one person on it seemed to be awake. That person was topside and was staring at the settlement in disbelief as he steered the longship through the winding river.

The only sound that could be heard was the lapping of the water. Not even crickets were present.
The men eyed Rosebud warily. One stood and walked closer.

"I am Knight Granser," he said. "We are holy warriors. Peace too is our cause. If you don't mind, however—detect evil."

Unless Rosebud stops him, he continues.

He waved at the other men behind him. The tension seemed to release slightly.

"We would provide assistance," he said, "but at the moment we pursue a quest, whose nature is secretive, so I'd appreciate it if you inquired no further. But we are available to talk. Is there something you want to know?"
Zupote's settlement rose up from raw materials and hard labor. Pebanot was established.

The wind in the region blew hard every day, rarely ever slowing to a breeze or less. Clouds raced over the plains, casting great shadows over the grasslands. The region was picturesque, but nonetheless there was a lack of life. Not a single large animal had been spotted. Even the smaller animals were scarce.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-04, 09:45 PM
Rosebud smiles, with a nod. I will not pry into your affairs, Sir Knights. My primary concern is if the land we stand on currently is safe enough to farm. The land is healthy, it seems, but if there is danger afoot, I need to clear out any vestiges of evil or wanton violence in the area, and make these lands safe.

Gesturing at the two people behind him, Rosebud changed the subject. If you need aid in your endeavors, Brave Sir Knights, my people and I would be glad to aid you in any ways you need. Of course, in any ways that wouldn't betray your secret, that is.

As if on queue, the rabbit in Rosebud's pouch poked its head out. Rosebud responded by stroking the animal's ears.

copycatcat
2014-11-04, 10:05 PM
"Of course, pixie mate, I will take you east. Let us see if any more lies in wait for us."

Exploring one east.

Navian
2014-11-04, 10:56 PM
As the summer drew to a close, things were not going exceptionally well for Apura and Kr in the town Rokhoniziga'deni. For one thing, the already-maimed name of the town was constantly being butchered even more, and street brawls were common over just how to say or abbreviate it. For that matter, street brawls were common for every reason reason imaginable, from fights over rations of Purple candy, for what to wear to the dance hall (if anything.) Kr didn't particularly care--she hated threats of violence, violence itself was just fine--but since doing her job required listening to the council, she recognized something had to be done to prevent the Luminous Shard from, well, splintering into glittery factional warfare.

Harnessing local resources and providing state sponsorship of the town's commerce and trade would help get things organized, or so they decided. Apura volunteered to assist. "Fear not! These lands are rich already, and so to will be the lands across our great river. I will go and return with what we need to encourage our settlers to make the journey, and offer my assurances that it is safe. Prepare the patrols, here, and get things 'organized'!" She was off quite abruptly, though at least she had the decency to fly away from the council fire, rather than magically disappearing like she frequently did in private. Kr turned back to 'her' council. "Let's be realistic. If we can settle there quickly, we can afford the new policy. Otherwise, we'd best focus on assuaging the hearts of our wild sisters. I propose we build a central facility where we can all work out our differences, and those not better occupied can observe, rather than find trouble elsewhere."

There were some murmurs of agreement, but the voice of Busbi the Beancounter chirped over the rest as he threw one of his braids back over his shoulder, and put down his ledger. "Not possible, sir. We simply don't have enough stone or shovels to lay the groundwork for it, to name but two issues."

Kr was annoyed at being contradicted, but there wasn't much she could do about it. "What would you suggest?" Busbi blinked in surprise, and began to stammer, but Mulien spoke over him. "More sponsored housing would be superb start. When the fighting is not at the circle of dance, it occurs near the shanties, down by the river. Others turn up dead in the west fields, clearly slain by their own."

Her cousin Soris spoke up as soon as Mulien was finished. "Housing we need, but we need housing for troops. We don't have enough real soldiers here to fill a single squad, and pretty as this place is I doubt it'll give us fair warning before something comes out of those woods, intending to eat us alive."

Mulien pressed her hand against her chin and pointedly looked away from her cousin. The buck was passed between the less oblivious members of the council repeatedly, until the one diurnal member of the council, Ale the half-elven ranger, was the only one left to argue against Soris the warhawk. She did so tiredly. "You can't. You can't scrounge up enough recruits yet. They just aren't here."

Before Soris could fight back, a flood of support came in. "She's right you know!" Avedha. "Too true." Erika. "We can't afford it." Busbi, of course. "Sorry, cuz." Mulien. Silt merely spat at the fire to express his opinion, though Soris seemed to take this more for confirmation than all the others combined. The table--or firepit, as it were--was left open for the next idea.

Kr didn't tolerate those who ruled by fear, but there were times when she could not help but appraise the concept in a thoughtful manner. Fear was obvious in Avedha's face, and his flop sweat. He probably wanted to build some kind of arcane... scholastic... temple of knowledge absurdity. She narrowed her gaze. Well, no one was forcing him to stay quiet; it was best not to provoke him into suggesting something so annoying. Most of the others seemed uninterested in making proposals. Busbi had returned to his ledger. Silt stared into the fire. Ale leaned back and gazed at the sky. Erika... was observing the others one by one, just like Kr was, and smirked when they locked eyes. Annoying. Soris and Mulien seemed to be having a private discussion. Kr lost her patience with all of them. "Any other ideas?"

It seemed like a 'no', until Soris broke off from her signed and whispered side conversation. "We should at least build a palisade. It won't keep out monsters, but it will reduce the risk of surprise, and more importantly, all common citizens will have to come and go by one route." Mulien picked up from there. "Together, we'll ensure that no drunkards or hapless mooks stagger out into the fields alone, and so to may our guards question all normal traffic. It won't lay low our most determined rabble-rousers, but the reduced preponderance of incidents shall surely much ease our hunt for them."

Kr stood up and walked around the log that she used as a seat, stopping immediately behind it, hands firmly clasped all the while. It was time to be the boss. "While I am concerned by the implication that we must 'control' any citizens, I recognize that some of them have been taking advantage of darkness and disorder to dispatch their political opponents in their beds, and this most unfortunately reminds me of something." She took a moment to glare and bare her teeth toward every council member of relevance, in her mind, to confirm all of them knew just what she was talking about. Most of them did. Ale the mutt could be excused for looking more irritated than contrite. Kr explained, "And I do not wish to see Rokhoniziga'deni spin its own evil webs, dominated by self-righteous priestesses and two-faced men who serve as their blades and wands. Is building a wall our way to prevent that from happening?"

There were nods from almost everyone, and no disagreement... except, from of all people, Avedha the Dabbler. "Er... If the formation of self-led cults is the problem, could we not simply form our own cult and re-merge all the others? Our savior has returned, and may inform priests of the goddess' true doctrine. Those who still fight and argue would become heretics, at clear fault in their thinking, rather than 'rabble-rousers' who attempt to prove themselves right at every turn the, er, 'traditional' way. We could just talk some sense into them."

Kr took a deep breath and began to yell angrily, but what came out, to her surprise, was an entirely calm "That was extremely reasonable. Thank you for your sage advice." Avedha beamed ecstatically. Those who were not indifferent seemed amused, except for Soris, who was glaring daggers at him. It would take him a while to start wavering, Kr used this time to recalibrate her speech. "It seems we can yet rule with a light touch." Soris began to object, so Kr tamped her down. "Lighter than the use of gates, walls, and guards to control citizens, that is. We shall build a shrine to Apura, and by extension, our benevolent goddess. It will be worthy of respect, and through our valiant labours, all will pay their respects of their own free will. That is my decree. Soris, your time will come. Enjoy it when it does, most of us will be taking cover. This meeting is adjourned, please see to your tasks."

Ale mumbled something like "I'll see to my bed." Avedha seemed enthusiastic, most of the rest were unchanged from before. Soris went off in an ice-and-fire rage, which almost got a smile out of Silt. Erika seemed unamused, but she was the hardest to read out of all of them. Kr returned home much as Ale did, though she did much of nothing there. It was strange being out of contact with Apura again. Somehow, the other side of the river seemed so much further away than the other side of the portal, long gone. She went out again. Idleness was worse than dealing with Apura's followers, and Avedha had impressed her for once. Perhaps she might inspect some of his architectural drafts, after all.

Edict phase: Spymaster is assigned to Stability. Apura explores the next hex to the east, to clear it and have it claimed for the Shard. She takes 10 on the survival roll to explore the hex. Assuming all goes well, the plan is to build farms in both hexes, set taxes to 'none', deny any holidays, and set promotions to light, for a total cost of one consumption in return for +2 stability. If no new claim can be made, only one farm is built, and no promotions can be made, resulting in -1 stability. Either way, Kr has decided to build a shrine across the street from the dance hall, in the center square of the district. More houses will also be built across the street from the houses that already exist, but upriver, not toward the center of town. The cost of the shrine and the houses is 11 BP, the cost of 2 farms and a hex claim is 5 BP, leaving 20. 23 is left if the hex claim is not possible. The shrine and houses reduce Unrest to 1, so the Economy check to collect donations this turn is [roll0] from leadership and the dance.

amohep
2014-11-04, 11:19 PM
The Endbringer whose name has long since been discarded sets foot on the shoreline. Alone but for Packmule he sighs and stretches the kinks out of his shoulders from the long journey. He mumbles under his breath, speaking aloud to the near empty air, That took entirely too long, but this time I shall succeed, I must…. There is something about this land, something that calls to me. Perhaps this will be the place I've been searching for. Craning his neck around to get a better view of the surroundings his eye is eventually caught by the river winding it's way up through the land to the north. At least it is not altogether unpleasing. Now let's see what fate has in mind for me this time.

I'll head north (starting from the north river fork on the south of the island) following the river until I find a likely hex to start my kingdom. I'll travel roughly a half mile every round, and stop if I find any local inhabitants or anything else of particular note. Otherwise I'll continue onwards towards the hex that I marked with a blue spiral on the north western island.

Navian
2014-11-04, 11:58 PM
Apura makes no attempt to stop them, nor does she attempt to sneak aboard their vessel, in part out of caution, in part out of respect. Though she is very curious, she did not survive one and a half centuries by attempting to waylay and interrogate anyone surrounded by dozens of sleeping comrades, while having no backup of her own. She cannot form a strong enough party to intercept them upriver after a forced march, either, which leaves her with no means of confronting them. She does fly close enough (roughly a hundred feet up and ten feet away from them) while invisible to get a close look at the passengers, and if they don't look very dangerous or alert, (Sense Motive for a hunch on the situation: [roll0]) she may also use her constant Detect Evil to scan their auras, from only fifty feet up. A lack of them cannot convince her to stay, but perhaps some familiar details might.

The ship's pilot would see the light of one campfire or torch for every fifty settlers, and magical lights in the dance hall, for a minute or two once every ten to fifteen minutes, as it's open for dancing all night. Flames of any size are banned from the premises, so for the most part, it's dark as pitch despite being rowdy. A few houses may be illuminated by firelight even in the darkest hours of the night, for the sake of mixed-race social activities or because some dark elf is cooking a hearty dinner. (Drow mostly use fire only for cooking, and few of those who lack darkvision stay awake at night.) Drow can see farther with darkvision than most elves can by torchlight, so the night watch is almost totally monopolized by them. The day watch is mostly elves, half-elves, and humans, as Drow hate being outside during the daytime, but they shouldn't need to be roused at the moment. The moonlight should illuminate lots of dark shapes and a few more distinguishable ones. The dance hall may seem to be occupied by frolicking shadows and eldritch glows, though if he gets a good look from up close while someone is using Dancing Lights competently, he'll probably get to see the highlights of some plain, old-fashioned, rowdy, drunken behavior.

The council meets to talk about the strange sightings, but unless Apura finds out more information, nothing is done in reaction to it, despite half of everyone taking it as an opportunity to forward their own personal agenda.

Silva Stormrage
2014-11-05, 06:54 AM
OOC: I am unclear what you mean with this post.
It only is a suggestion that you should start with an inn or a monastery. There is no strict rule that prevents you from starting with a town hall. The rule is "If this is your kingdom's first settlement, you should start with an Inn, Shrine, Monastery, or Watchtower."

And then I am confused about the order for building buildings/improvements. Are you saying that the settlement needs to be finished before I can build improvements? (So next turn?) If so then just remove the improvement costs and keep everything else.

Tecord sees his new land and frankly he feels it suits him. In the shade the land is neither too hot nor too cold. The grass is thick and disordered but that was a fixable problem and he would accomplish that in the coming months. The waters seem to be a bit risky though and the unruly giants and their mangy pet wolverines has set Tecord on a bit of an edge. He dismisses trying to capture one as it is too far away to be an immediate concern for him. He has 15 of his acolytes scour the forest to the north of him. Only going up to 3 hexes deep but making sure to cover all of the hexs' terrain. He will have the other 5 scout the surrounding grasslands around the lake with a more cursory scouting. Only looking for either caves or hills leading to possible underground fortifications (IN which case they will investigate), already existing settlements of intelligent life or particularly dangerous large creatures.

He will have 80 eldritch snipers to scout out the north west mountain hex from the new settlement along with them Teccord, Contessa and Shade will accompany them. With Shade possessing Teccord's basic clothing. Teccord needs to be certain that there isn't anything particularly deadly in the mountain side overlooking his new settlement.

If he finds nothing he will take the same force and scout the hex directly south west of the new settlement.

nothingforyou
2014-11-06, 11:42 AM
Granser raised an eyebrow. "Well, now, you don't hear about people coming to Inarlon to farm. The land is healthy, but there are indeed 'vestiges' of evil lurking about. Unfortunately, this is very much my quest, so I cannot elaborate further. You must remain wary and vigilant. Stay on this side of the island, near Leviathan Fortress, and you should be fine. Wander further at your own risk. Wandering beasts are dangerous and ever-present, but there are much worse on the eastern shore."
As Zupote hugged the rocky shore, she saw in the distance a longship stopped with a rowboat heading towards shore. The rowboat carried four battle-ready people. The longship jerked as laborers on it began rowing, and it started to turn slowly, heading back into deep sea.

The rowboat made land just to the southwest of Zupote's current position.
Unfortunately, we'll be going with the RAW, not the example, regarding economy checks and income.

That night, Apura flew close to the longship to get a better look at its inhabitants. The single awake sailor was staring at the lights in the newly established settlement as if he did not expect them to be there. There was no hostile intent emanating from him, so Apura flew closer.

Approximately forty men and women were asleep, huddled under blankets on the deck. Their breaths in the cold air fogged and rose from the ship.

Some cargo crates were stacked on the ship. The name Kallen & Assoc. was printed on their surfaces.

Apura casted detect evil, and immediately six of the around-forty individuals lighted up with a faint aura. The sailor himself had no such aura.

After some moments of silence, the longship sailed away peacefully, leaving behind only a small disturbance on the surface of the water.

The next day, it was time for exploration.

Though the leadership was unable to collect taxes due to inefficiencies in management and documenting, the exploration to the east went relatively well.

The river seemed to become rockier as one traveled upstream, but nonetheless, Kr had no trouble crossing the river to observe both sides. It was cool and windy as she traveled and, every hour or so, a cold wintry chill would blow from the southeast.

She spotted multiple groups of horses grazing on the grass, and further along, also a pack of twelve wolves led by a single unnaturally large wolf, although curiously the wolves and the horses briefly exchanged glances without conflict before the horses returned to grazing and the wolves wandered off.

The wolves did not see Kr, but nonetheless they seemed docile and non-hostile. They appeared to be traveling southeast.
Cold. Absolute cold.

It was an idyllic place. The green grass was vibrant and grew evenly, blowing in synchronization with the strong gusts of wind which came ceaselessly at regular intervals. In the distance, perfect and unblemished snow-capped mountains towered over the landscape, giving one a sense of insignificance.

Nonetheless, the air temperature was chilly, and the wind chill brought it down much further.

Traveling northwards, the Endbringer caught sight of the lake nestled comfortably between the mountains. The lake was pristine and had a heavenly radiance.

Yet, even so, it was here that the first sign of danger was found. Endbringer's cohorts spotted a group of four flying creatures, strange and exotic-looking. One could describe the creatures as golden monkeys with bat wings. Each of the creatures had an elongated tail which held a mace. They were flying around the mountains, almost as if patrolling.

It was without a doubt that they spotted the Endbringer before he spotted them. Their eyes were all turned in his direction, non-hostile but watching.
The exploration yielded some frightening results.

Initially, the forest was merely a dark and foreboding place, but had no other difficulties associated with it. There was no real 'undergrowth', but the grass grew so thick and strong that it was about as difficult to navigate as a jungle.

Malphas' bird-eye viewing could not penetrate the canopy of leaves. The acolytes found themselves having to explore without foreknowledge of the region.

Under the canopy was mostly shadow. The acolytes could not suppress their nervousness and would often overreact to small sounds, like a twig being stepped on. This was for the region directly northeast of Tecord's new settlement.

Further northeast was where Tecord lost contact with the group of acolytes.

Acolytes failed a move silently and hide check, failed a perception check, and I determined the outcome of mass combat to be in favor of the acolyte's attackers. Now you roll a Stability check to determine whether the acolytes are dead or merely missing in action.

Navian
2014-11-06, 12:32 PM
Technically, it's the Edict phase example that suggests failed economy checks result in no income, the rules as written fail to note any consequence for a failure. But I'm not complaining... if Economy checks couldn't fail this way, it would make large kingdoms very, very, very scary. I can cope with only having 20 or 23 BP in reserve next turn more easily than I can cope with an opponent who has a guaranteed income of 33-40 BP every turn.

Apura feels more confident flying over the wolves than she was with the sailors; this time, she she does so without using invisibility. She tries hailing them with her 'truespeech' ability, though this would depend on them having a language. Hiring druids could get expensive. "Hello! Fine day, isn't it?"

Maybe they're just passing through, maybe they're willing to negotiate... but, given their numbers, and how using some unfair advantage to scatter them without a proper fight would be very evil of her, simply forcing them out isn't an option. She may have to explore the southern hexes instead, and plans to work her way clockwise around the Shard's current territories until she reaches the sea if this whole 'talking to wolves' thing doesn't work out.

From the wolves' perspective, there's a pint-sized, dark-skinned, blue-eyed elf-like creature with platinum feathered wings and hair; wearing dark blue and white frilly ecclesial garments with an abundance of shiny metallic jewelry and emblems, accompanied by sturdy black and white gloves and plain-looking grey boots; a tiny frame backpack packed with shiny metal rings and greenwood bow on her back, pinned over a white and gold cloak; a quiver of arrows and some kind of strange widget on one hip, and a long sword in its scabbard on the other. It may well be this isn't the proper mode of dress to impress a wolf pack, but she's trying to work with what she's got.

copycatcat
2014-11-06, 05:22 PM
Zupote takes her group and hikes to the river where the ship is. "Ponparsekomwa!"
Except her and her mate, of course. They fly. And Kilo... everyone but Cagebe flies. She has to hike. How much have they explored of the hex?

darklink_shadow
2014-11-06, 09:18 PM
Brave Sir Knight, I hope you do not mean to imply that eradicating the vestiges of evil on this island is your quest, and your quest alone. There was an implication of such, though you may not have meant it. Either way, it is my quest to purify this land so that it can be safe for all people. I hope we can one day fight side by side. I am called Rosebud among my people, as strange of a name as it may be. Many of us named ourselves very recently, after having been nameless.

Rosebud pulled out a scrap of paper, and infused it with his arcane energies, handing it over to the man with whom he had spoken.

After pointing down stream, Either way, if you need a place to rest anytime, my encampment is down the river from here, show that paper to any of my men, and they will know I sent you. We would be honored to house the protectors of this land. However, I see your task is pressing. I will not disturb you further. I need to finish scouting this land, and ensure it is safe to began farming. There will be patrols in this area, if you see this crest, Rosebud pulls out the symbol on the flag of his nation, You should consider them allies. Be free to detect evil on them, but none under my banner are evil, and should you discover otherwise, I would like to be informed. Though, we usually look into that before hand, we are a very welcoming people, and I suppose some evil may sneak in. Ah, I've said I would allow you to go, and then I continued to babble. My apologies. I wish you luck, my friends. I hope to you see at my encampment soon, to tell me you've survived your quest.

Note: I cast Arcane Mark on the paper.

Silva Stormrage
2014-11-06, 11:05 PM
… Okay well its kinda a moot point since they are believers and respawn in a single day but for future reference I will NEVER be sending the acolytes in to physically scout. They will only be using the summoned birds to scout out terrain. Sorry if I didn't make that clear but if they can't scout due to terrain etc than simply inform me of that. They won't try to suicidally enter the forest with no weapons or support :smalltongue:

Did Teccord and the Eldritch Snipers discover anything in the mountainous region? If not Tecord along with Contessa 60 Eldritch Blasters (1st Level Believers) and 3 Druidic Summoners (3rd level believers) plus Shade and Collin will investigate the forest region where the acolytes disappeared.

amohep
2014-11-06, 11:39 PM
Which way is the wind blowing from? Is it always the same direction? And does it truly blow in completely steady intervals? As for the other three hexes I passed through were they simply grassland with nothing else of no real note? If so I will gather my minions of doom (i.e. all my followers) and attempt to make a peaceful overture to the creatures. (I'm assuming that they are relatively close to me, if they are over in the next hex twelve miles away or something I'll establish my settlement first and then make contact with them.) In order to make contact I will have one minion cast psionic tongues, and several others create waving white flags as we peacefully approach with weapons sheathed waiting for a response from them. Though we will of course be anticipating trouble, looking for ambushes, and making spot/listen checks along with detect magic active. I also have a 70ft touch sight centered near my group. If it matters I can arrange my people more specifically for formation, but otherwise will simply continue with the negotiations.

Also completely out of character but, did you take these from indian mythology? If so, nice!

nothingforyou
2014-11-07, 02:05 PM
The wolves stared at Apura, uncomprehending. The largest of the lot, the leader, merely cast a sideways glance at Apura before continuing on their trek southeast. The rest of the wolves followed suit.
If you spend time exploring the hex, you will miss the landing group.

The rowboat made land and four armed individuals climbed out on the shore.

"Ponparsekomwa!" said Zupote.

The group was composed of two men and two women. They stopped when they saw Zupote and her cohort.

"Fey?" said one, a man wearing robes. After a quick appraisal, he continued, "Not quite. Half-fey half-human of the unseelie court."

"Evil?" said another, a woman wearing armor.

"Likely," said the man dryly. "What is it you want, unseelie? We have business to attend to. Do you speak Common?"
Granser took the sheet of paper. "Very well, Rosebud. Luck be to you as well. We will message Lord Massey of Leviathan Fortress that you are a friend."
Not quite clear about which mountainous parts you explored back in that post. Could you circle on the map?

Also, get your mass combat stats ready, since I'm not running 60 characters in tactical combat.
The wind is blowing from the north direction. When I said the wind blows at regular intervals, I meant that every so often it blows. Not that it blows with unnatural timing.

You've barely traveled a hex, and are 2 hexes SW of the lake, where you see the flying creatures milling about the hex 1 SW of the lake. You encountered nothing significant along the way.

Consider your current position to be on the border of 1 SW lake and 2 SW lake.

Navian
2014-11-07, 02:17 PM
Apura finds herself extremely angry at being ignored, even though she can't actually tell if the giant wolf can understand her. She's not very good at dealing with animals. Still, it takes more than a potential snub to make an angel go on a violent rampage. She still goes on a rampage, but this just involves pretending to tap her foot in midair, and then going invisible to spy on the wolves until they enter their lair, or forest cover. After that, she intends to finish her exploration.

She'll have to get some trackers to make sure this place isn't the wolves' territory, but that's not possible at the moment. Apura continues the search of the river hex after spying on the wolves, but is very likely to deem it unfit for early colonization, and continue her exploration about the rest of the nearby grasslands until she finds a good candidate.

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 03:54 PM
Telepathically, to man asking for common/Evil? woman/other man/other woman: "Need I?" "I do understand Common, at least." "Why are you here?" "Welcome to the future of Portell."

Portell is the common name for Potrel.
What I meant was 'how far in are we in exploring the hex?'
Also, Ponparsekomwa means "Women, come to the water." In case you were curious.
Careful to stay 15 ft aboveground. Just in case. Same with pixie, though not Kilo.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-07, 07:49 PM
With a smile, and a dip of his head, he spoke no further, and waved goodbye, before heading off in the direction he had been whilst exploring. It would be a few minutes yet, but his frogs hopped after him, likely doomed to never see the combat they were made for.

(OOC: Rosebud and his two friends will continue to explore the Hex.)

amohep
2014-11-07, 10:35 PM
Ahh Thanks, that helps clarify my position. Then I'll go with my previous post of approaching them peacefully. Oh and how many do I see?

nothingforyou
2014-11-08, 03:35 PM
There are four of the creatures.

Pushing against the powerful winds coming from the mountains, Endbringer and his cohorts moved closer to the creatures to open peaceful communications. Endbringer is now now 1 hex SW of the lake.

The creatures immediately descended to ground level. From this distance, Endbringer could fully appreciate how large they were. The monkey-like creatures stood ten feet tall, and their bat wings spanned the width of a wagon. The massive maces they carried with their tails rested against the ground as they too approached Endbringer without any outward signs of hostility.

"Huu-uman!" said one. "Not your land, huu-umaan! Go awaaay!"
Without further ado, Granser and his knights got up from their rocks, packed their bags, and left eastbound with the afternoon sun to their backs.

The next few hours, Rosebud and his cohort spent their time scouting the region. It was getting cold out, but the sun warmed them and they had no trouble traveling in their current outfits.

Crossing the plains, Rosebud could see only grass in the immediate vicinity. For some time the only noise was the soft sound of grass under his boots. Nonetheless, the day did not end uneventfully.

As Rosebud finished his exploration, he spotted out of the corner of his eye two women with lyres. The women were dressed simply in thin, white robes, but had fancy-looking instruments which produced compellingly sweet notes.

The women beamed when they saw Rosebud and his cohort. One waved him over.
"Telepathy," said the man who had not yet spoken. He wielded a vicious-looking combat sickle and a wooden shield. He wore a cloak over his traveler's clothes.

"Interesting," said the woman who also had not yet spoken. She had a rapier and wore mithral light armor. "Flying fey, or demon, or whatever—it sounds like you intend to colonize this land."

"Oh?" said the first man to speak. "Good luck with that. Our business is elsewhere."

"Stay sharp," said the first woman to speak. "This is not a safe place to be."

The group of four readied their equipment, turned inland, and began to leave.
The wolves led by the large wolf moved southeast into the pine forest. The temperature immediately dropped from cool to chilly as Apura followed stealthily. The leaves brushed against her as she flew by, slowly soaking her clothes with condensation. The wolves navigated the territory deftly, moving from tree to tree with practiced foreknowledge. Nonetheless, the trip would not end peacefully.

Apura spotted them first. A hundred and fifty feet away, hidden behind foliage, were eight medium-sized hideous-looking green-skinned creatures. Unfortunately, the creatures saw the wolves, and immediately moved out of sight. Apura could see them no longer, and it would appear the wolves did not notice them to begin with.

copycatcat
2014-11-08, 03:40 PM
Zupote waves them off, and they return to finish their exploration.

Because we move about 6 miles to the river, the movement is +4 hours, meaning that we're just slightly fatigued towards the end of the day. No extra time beyond the one day is needed.

Navian
2014-11-08, 04:05 PM
Since she was invisible anyway, Apura didn't see much harm in morphing her garments into some more practical waterproof leathers as she moved further into the trees. It wouldn't do a thing about her magic cloak and other accessories, but fortunately, she had a lot of experience maneuvering cloaks about in close confines after insisting on wearing one at all times for the past several decades.

Apura saw an opportunity to meddle in what was happening. She didn't need a reason beyond that to begin creating the illusory music of failed stealth--rumbling stomachs, snapping twigs, and so on--just in front of where they appeared to have gone, relative to where the wolves were still wandering. After the fact, she reasoned that she almost definitely wanted the wolves to be victorious. After all, those green things were ugly.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-08, 09:28 PM
Rosebud gestured at his two travelling companions to follow as he approached. They were some ways off yet, so he spoke quietly to them, warning that there was a chance this was a trap. The two had the guise of elves over their true form, the form they had taken to be combat ready at all times, but the half-elf wore no disguise, and no weapons or armor. He slowed his gait as he approached, and stopped only 50ft away. Hello, beautiful women playing beautiful music. Are you out here alone?

Be they friends or foes, Rosebud knew he had to speak to them. If they were friends, he had to make his people look good by being polite and kind. But if they were foes, these people would easily dupe many of his less seasoned followers and friends. Rosebud had studied them as he walked, to see if he could recall any fey or other such creatures who took this form. He thought of any musically inclined creatures he could with the ability to change their form.

(OOC: I'll make knowledge checks. I'll also sense motive. Are we still not rolling IC? I remember keeping out sheets secret was important. I suppose you can just roll for me.)

amohep
2014-11-08, 09:44 PM
I am called The Endbringer and I'm afraid that's where we differ. I have seen this land and already decided to make it my own. And I seldom change my mind. But I am not against sharing, would you like to join me? Or perhaps live alongside my burgeoning utopia in peace? And in case this is too complicated for them to understand, I'll translate it with psionic tongues. And if they are simply too stupid to understand then I will ask to speak to their leader.

nothingforyou
2014-11-10, 01:43 PM
The temperature was comfortably warm as Zupote explored the region, but after many hours of uneventful flying across the plains, she was certain nothing was to be found on this coast.
The wolves tensed and swiftly ran away southwest through the woods, their gray fur streaking through the foliage and disappearing after a moment. The creatures briefly pursued, but lost sight of the wolves with their slowness. They regrouped by a tree and spoke in the long, monotonous language of the giants.
As he approached, Rosebud was certain that the women were not fey. Stopping fifty feet away, he greeted them.

The women laughed and strummed their lyres, producing an enjoyable harmony. One of them said with a thick accent, "We travel together, alone! How about you, wary stranger who stands so far away?" Rosebud could not place the accent.
The monkey-like creatures frowned in unison. The one who spoke before said, "Huu-maans think only of conquest, so arrogant, so naive! This land is our masters'! Find different place or you get hurt!"

Navian
2014-11-10, 01:59 PM
Apura attempts to eavesdrop. Unfortunately, Truespeech does not work that way. This certainly limited her options. Well, however limited they were, it seemed quite possible to risk speaking to them, so long as she was very careful. She could converse with them, even if she could not understand them unless they were attempting to speak to her. "Who goes there? Know that these lands are watched by the Luminous Shard. I would know your intentions. Are you hunters? Travellers?"

Apura would like to attempt a diplomacy check to improve their attitude (whatever that may be), though I have so little information I have no idea what might be relevant to say. I guess there might be a circumstance penalty. [roll0]

copycatcat
2014-11-10, 03:50 PM
"Ponasekompotrel."
The Potrelen people return to Potrel, looking for any signs of anything that could cause trouble.
So just heading back.
And please remember my crew to Lev Fort.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-10, 06:54 PM
Rosebud smiled, laughing. This land is dangerous, with many evil things lurking about. You cannot fault the wary. As for myself, I travel with just these two companions. I'll come a little closer, but you have to promise not to murder me or my friends. His tone was playful banter, even if he meant his words.

Walking to be within 25 feet of them, he stopped again, however his two companions remained at a distance of 50ft. You must admit it is eerily suspicious for two seemingly unarmed maidens of such great beauty to sit and wait in the middle of nowhere. Though, that suggests another form of power, it does not suggest malice. But this land is dangerous, as I said. You cannot fault the wary.

amohep
2014-11-10, 08:35 PM
Your master? And who might that be?

And is there some way we could perhaps talk in real time for this conversation to speed it up a bit? Oh an do I detect any magic nearby?

nothingforyou
2014-11-11, 05:55 PM
The creatures turned towards Apura's voice, though she was invisible and they could not see her. Despite their hideous looks, their eyes betrayed intelligence. Nonetheless, as they started to move closer to Apura, she realized that they smelled as bad as they looked.

"What's that?" said one of them.
The group returned to Potrel without any difficulty. The plains were clear and the weather good.
The two women looked at one another. "I suppose," said one, "it is suspicious for us two to be out here." Her accent was thick.

"It's like the story," said the other. "The one where the dragonfly spirit, umm... It's been a long time. Anyways, there is no need to come closer if you're not comfortable. Will you at least sit and listen to us play? We're not terrible, I promise. It's an ancient song we'll play, you wouldn't have heard it before!"
How are you detecting magic?

"Many masters!" said the creature. "So many! So powerful!"

"Winged huu-mens," said another creature. "No greed in heart, only good. Better than mortals!"

"Go back!" said the first creature. "You cannot close to mountain!"

copycatcat
2014-11-11, 06:03 PM
Zupote asks: "Has anything happened during the past two days, while I was away?"

Just assume I ask that every time I return to Potrel.

amohep
2014-11-11, 06:15 PM
A few posts ago I specified how I was going to approach these creatures. To save effort I'll just copy it "Though we will of course be anticipating trouble, looking for ambushes, and making spot/listen checks along with detect magic active. I also have a 70ft touch sight centered near my group. If it matters I can arrange my people more specifically for formation, but otherwise will simply continue with the negotiations." For further clarification I suppose I'll specify that I will have 6 minions casting detect magic. And we will all be using sense motive for everything they say. They sound like wonderful masters indeed. But if they are as good as you claim then surely they wouldn't turn away from a simple conversation with me? I would dearly like to speak to them in person after all. I am but a simple traveler you see, and I am afraid that I do not even know which land I have found myself in. If these masters are as wise and good hearted as you say then surely they will not turn me away?

Navian
2014-11-11, 06:28 PM
Apura sought to make silent, erratic moves, and carefully flew backwards and sideways, avoiding the brush. If it seemed she might be outflanked, she cast down illusory decoy noises--rustling branches, falling water. As soon as they were no longer advancing immediately on her, she addressed them again."I speak for the Luminous Shard. You do not know of me, or my kind. Answer my questions, and tell me more of yourselves, and I shall sing for you. The bargain favours you, this is my promise."

Bluff: [roll0]

darklink_shadow
2014-11-11, 08:16 PM
It's alright. The bad feeling that kept me on edge has faded. I'd decided that if you were going to do anything, you would have done it by now. Rosebud walked until he was only 10 feet away, and sat down. I would love to hear you play an ancient song. But that wouldn't be proper without introductions. I am Rosebud, and my companions who will stay so very far away, are also my body guards. Neil and Paige. And who might you two beautiful women be?

nothingforyou
2014-11-11, 09:21 PM
Zupote determined that nothing of note had happened while she was away.
"Wonderful!" said a creature, echoing Endbringer's comment. "But they not talking."

Endbringer's cohort informed him that the maces the creatures carried emanated faint magic. Indeed, for creatures living so far from civilization, their maces were of exceptional if exotic craftsmanship. The maces were undoubtedly magical.

"Simple traveler!" screeched another creature. "Masters not awake now, will not awake for a hundred years!"

"Two hundred!" said the first creature.

"More hundreds!" replied the other.
The green creatures stopped and grouped, taking position to defend themselves from sudden attacks. Nonetheless, they lowered their spears to nonthreatening positions.

"Okay," it said in Giant, its voice thick, dull, and slurred. "What does the voice want? We are hunters. We find meat. We feed ourselves. Anyway, there's no food here, it ran away."
One of the women smiled wryly. "My name? I don't remember, do you?" She turned to her companion.

"No," said the other woman. "I don't remember it much either. Names are so far away."

"Here we go," said the first, readying her lyre.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-11, 09:32 PM
Nameless? I was once nameless. I named myself after the first beautiful thing I saw. Though, had I been patient, I might have named myself after you. Rosebud, smiled, and looked at the pair with equal measure. It's too bad you can't just name yourselves. But... let's hear your song.

copycatcat
2014-11-11, 09:34 PM
Zupote goes and explores one hex west. If nothing goes ill, she proceeds to do southwest, then southeast(relative to Potrel), then back to Potrel.

amohep
2014-11-11, 10:37 PM
Interesting, what school of magic and what strength? (As per detect magic). The Endbringer will then readdress the creatures in front of him, the levity gone from his voice and the interest as well. The following statements are conditional on the creatures not wielding insanely powerful magical items. You did mention weak magic auras so if that is the case I will go ahead with the following. So let me understand this. You say that I must depart immediately. That I must not go to the mountains, that I must must must…. I grow tired of this and my interest in you has ended. Goodbye. Before I finish talking all my minions will attack the creatures. My bards will play their music (alerting everyone in 1d10 miles of my presence) Do I get a surprise round since I communicate with all my people telepathically via mind link or?

Navian
2014-11-11, 11:40 PM
Apura could tell this would be a long conversation. That is, if no one lost their tempers first. She'd try to get as much information as she could about them, about the local terrain and hazards, about their tribe (presuming they had one), the extent of their territory, notable neighbours, monsters, and legends, and so on. Meanwhile, she was also working to figure out what their customs and values were, to make it easier to impress them.

She could guess they didn't know anything about the unnaturally large wolf or its strange behavior, and didn't bother much trying to ask them what they thought was 'strange'.

Apura didn't have enough to offer them to establish some form of trade relationship--or to defend her people if something went wrong--but hopefully her promise of song could get her enough information to make the day worth her trouble. As she listened, she worked to compose the information into a song, both so she could sing songs about what was familiar to them, to entertain them more easily, and so she could remember what they said without writing it all down.

nothingforyou
2014-11-12, 01:43 PM
The women played on their lyres an exotic deliberately off-melodic, though still beautiful, tune. The piece started stacatto with a sad march, built into frenzied and passioned arpeggios, and ended with a stream of smooth and gentle notes. Their performance was exceptional, and for the hour while they played, Rosebud and his cohorts listened fascinated. He felt a cool trickle down his spine when the piece ended.

One of the women looked up from her lyre. "Did you enjoy it, outsider? It looked like you did."
Zupote left westbound in the morning. She traveled through the grassy plains and flew over a fast-flowing and rocky river. The weather turned for the worse. At first, the wind picked up, and quickly Zupote found herself pushing against it. The sky clouded, dark and ominous. Then came the rain, falling heavily. Then finally the crash of thunder and a flash of light.

Under these conditions she explored the region. Wet, cold, and uncomfortable, she determined that there was nothing interesting in these ninety-five miles.
See OOC.

Endbringer was informed that the maces' auras were of the evocation school.
"Heheh, this place is dangerous alright," said a green creature. "Let's see... down here you have spirits, yes? Near the lake. South of the lake."

"Not spirits, dummy," said another one of the creatures. "Fairies."

"Shut it, I'm talking. Anyhow, then northeast past the mountains you have monsters running about the swamps and plains. Some magic, but a lot more normal and edible. And then northwest of that—"

The second creature hissed. "We don't go northwest any further. It's all death."

"Yes, yes, monsters from the devil. Anyhow, we don't have a tribe, see, 'cause this place is dangerous. We travel and hunt. Territory? We have no territory. We need to move to eat, you know. What kind of monsters? Down here it's all spirits!"

The second creature roared. "Fairies! Get it right, idiot."

"Right! Anyways, they don't like it when we hunt, so we stay up here."

"They don't like much of anything, those fairies. They live near the big lake."

Navian
2014-11-12, 02:13 PM
Apura was relieved by the peaceful discussion. She was not really sure why, as she was fairly certain she did not want to be friends with these creatures, but upon further consideration, that would be just fine, so long as it was a long-distance relationship. "I understand, thank you. Know that I am a spirit, and not some sort of fairy. It's a fine distinction, I know, but my people appreciate it when you hunt large and dangerous, yet tasty animals. For that, we may reward you. But I implore you to be careful with the more docile plains creatures. Some of them, we have marked for death. If you take them, their curse shall be passed onto you."

Bluff ('The Cattle Curse') [roll0]
Diplomacy ('Please Hunt Monsters for us, and Don't Start a War') [roll1]

Maybe this could end pleasantly, after all. Except for the smell.

copycatcat
2014-11-12, 02:56 PM
Zupote continues on the dictated path.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-12, 06:28 PM
Rosebud clapped slowly. Marvelous. Masterfully done. A truly impressive work of art. So, is that song how you typically defend yourselves? What a beautiful way. Just marvelous.

OOC: Sense Motive to see if they meant to enchantment with their music for ill purposes. Sense motive to see if they are disappointed about the effect of their song. Spell Craft on the song. All my knowledges on the song. Detect magic as the spell just before the song, and now that it's over.

nothingforyou
2014-11-16, 12:58 PM
"Okay, Miss Spirit," said the green creature. "We don't want no curses."

"Why we gotta hunt the big ones?" whined another of the creatures.

"Shut it, it's cause the spirit says so."
The thunderstorm continued. Zupote traveled southwest, the plains soaked by rain. For a while, her only company was the crash of lightning. One bolt struck very close to Zupote with a deafening bang and a blinding flash. The wind speed picked up to severe and Zupote found it impossible to fly without being blown back. Landing, she was still unable to push against the force of the wind, which was blowing eastward.

There was a hiss as an arrow flew by her ear. Then another.

Then a third arrow, which struck squarely in Zupote's chest. 18 damage.

Someone had launched a surprise attack, their position hidden by the rain. But now that Zupote looked—

Upwind, far apart and far away, were three archers. Barely visible through the sheet of rainwater which came pouring down.

https://app.roll20.net/join/572684/OqAZNA

I don't know who you're traveling with, so I will add a few extra tokens to represent your cohorts.
Rosebud could not tell what the women were trying to do, but his gut assessment was one of mistrust. The women were not hostile, per se, but they did not have his best interests in mind, as far as he could intuit.

"Defend ourselves?" said one of the women. "But Rosebud, we're not in any danger."

Navian
2014-11-16, 01:55 PM
Close enough for government work, Apura figured. It seemed she was done here. She may as well keep up her end of the bargain, lest they whine even more and start violating this little informal treaty out of spite. "Our business is concluded. Here is your song, as promised."

[roll0]

She starts slow, since that seems to be necessary with this group. Hopefully they can be convinced to remain silent and still for a moment while she sets the stage. It begins with a tale of woe--these lands are dangerous, after all!--before transitioning into a story about a group of hunters considerably more heroic, dashing, and witty than this one, although from her description of them and their trials, it does sound like it's the same group. She even tries to comment on their best features, though she avoids specifically using the word 'handsome'.

The song becomes more danceable, and the lyrics more nonsensical, toward the end, where she's stopped trying to tie it into reality and what she knows of the region and has just started to describe physically impossible feats of strength and agility, and mythic locales. Assuming they cooperate throughout it, and nothing interrupts them, she is quite eager to leave, and does so without stopping to let them talk. "Farewell!" She had much more exploring to do, and these woods were a tad bit far afield from anywhere meant for farming.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-17, 02:29 AM
Not in any danger? In a land like this, you are in danger or you are the danger. Rosebud put his hands together for a moment. I see. If you aren't in any danger, then I suppose I should continue on. I am looking to see if I can make sure this land is safe enough for a group of farmers to till the land. If you don't mind, I am going to continue to do so. I am going to summon a creature to sniff out any monsters it can find by scent...

Being wary, I will try to summon a crocodile. Also, my rabbit will cast Detect Evil. She would have done this before the music, but it looks like I forgot to post about it, so I guess she'll do it now. She'll check them out, and then look around the area.

nothingforyou
2014-11-19, 10:11 PM
This is embarrassing for me, but remind me again why your rabbit can cast detect evil.

"Go ahead," said one of the women. "We are going, then. We have a distance to travel."

The crocodile was summoned without any complaint or reaction from the women. Nonetheless, the report came back without any uncertainty: The women were evil. They had a moderate aura which was without any doubt evil.

They were packing up and preparing to leave.
The green creatures listened intently, their mannerisms following the ups and downs in Apura's song. Apura's was a magnificent performance, and the creatures could appreciate it, it seemed. They cheered and hooted when the heroes of Apura's song performed great deeds, though it looked like a few were doubting whether or not it was actually them in the song.

Nonetheless, when Apura left, more than a few were waving goodbye at her.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-19, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry. I can't let you leave. You are, unfortunately, quite evil. And I am sure your song was not played for my benefit. Unfortunately for you, the song had no effect. When I said I was going to make sure this place was safe for farmers, that includes removing anything that is evil. Evil things tend to want to cause pain for people such as my kin and me. I hope you understand. I will do everything in my power to ensure your deaths are as quick as I can. I hope you ladies understand. It gives me great sorrow to tend to the destruction the lives of such beautiful creatures. Do not take it personally. If you had been more honest with me, perhaps I could have looked into alternate actions. Rosebud's shoulders drooped. I'm sorry for the brief deception. But I am being perfectly honest with you now.

OOC: Ah, my rabbit casts as a fifth level cleric. She has one detect evil per day prepared, and my gut told me they were evil, so we looked into it. I suspect it will be time for a battle now, unless the maidens plan to try to talk their way out. I'll be ready for a fight, but willing to listen.

Navian
2014-11-19, 11:50 PM
Apura was a little disturbed at feeling warm and fuzzy after making friends, if that was indeed what she had done. It was not generally accepted to admit to this sort of sensation in her culture, and she did not have much experience with it, though she was vaguely aware that it was not uncommon among torturers, those who cared for giant spiders, and those who bred horrid abominations, or amongst pit bosses when criminals prisoners of war actually managed to defeat those abominations in the arena and then fought to the death against one another. She was fairly sure Kr never had to cope with this sensation, except possibly when following direct orders from Apura that were exactly in line with what Kr wanted to do anyway.

Disturbing sensations aside, Apura backtracked until she reached the plains, and continued her scouting mission. The rest of the lands east across the river, followed by the lands to the south, searching the lands, going clockwise around the city (which she had decided to mentally refer to as 'Port Kr' just for simplicity's sake) until she had reached the sea. This was her mission, whether she chose to accept it or not, and really, what would she do if she refused it? If idle hands were a devil's workshop, she didn't want to find out what that meant in her case.