PDA

View Full Version : Fey Familiar [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2014-11-02, 12:53 PM
Pretty much what the title says. Is there any way to gain a fey familiar?

Dalebert
2014-11-02, 12:56 PM
Pretty much what the title says. Is there any way to gain a fey familiar?

Improved Familiar feat and faerie dragon.

Uncle Pine
2014-11-02, 01:55 PM
I couldn't find a decent list of all the possible familiars you can get through Improved Familiar, but if (good) 3rd party is fair play you should have a look at "Encyclopaedia Arcane: familiars": it has rules to summon Fey (or Animal, Magical Beast, Vermin, Aberration, Construct, Dragon, Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Ooze, Outsider, Plant, Shapechanger and Undead) familiars.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-02, 05:30 PM
Pretty sure you can't get a Faerie Dragon, but thanks.

Thanks for the book. Huh, nixie grants a +2 to Initiative. Always useful. Was looking for something around Tiny size, but I'll go with this if I can't find anything else.

Faily
2014-11-02, 05:39 PM
Book of Exalted Deeds have Exalted Familiar, which gives access to Coure Eladrin or Musteval Guardinal. Not exactly Fey, but very fey-like in appearance and also on the small side.

Dalebert
2014-11-02, 06:17 PM
Pretty sure you can't get a Faerie Dragon, but thanks.

Sorry. That's an option in Pathfinder and I just assumed it was in 3.5 too. My bad.

LOTRfan
2014-11-02, 06:23 PM
Sorry. That's an option in Pathfinder and I just assumed it was in 3.5 too. My bad.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that in 3.5 faerie dragons are 8 HD halfling-sized dragons too. I much prefer the Pathfinder stats.

I take it there isn't any chance that you could use the Pathfinder Improved Familiar list? Because if you think you can, there are quite a few Fey and Fey-related creatures on the list.

nedz
2014-11-02, 07:01 PM
Improved Familiar (DMG p200) can get you a Pseudo Dragon — which is probably what you are thinking of.

The only Fey familiar I can find is the Shimmerling Swarm, but that's from DR329 p98 and you have to be level 16 with Improved Familiar.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-02, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I keep forgetting that in 3.5 faerie dragons are 8 HD halfling-sized dragons too. I much prefer the Pathfinder stats.

I take it there isn't any chance that you could use the Pathfinder Improved Familiar list? Because if you think you can, there are quite a few Fey and Fey-related creatures on the list.

I looked at it, but I'm not really in the mood to learn a whole new play-style for a familiar, thanks anyway.

nedz: Not sure what you mean about the pseudodragon, wasn't looking for that. Thanks for telling me about the Shimmerling Swarm though. Might get it at a higher level. Are there any stats for a single Shimmerling? Might get that.

Milo v3
2014-11-02, 09:59 PM
I looked at it, but I'm not really in the mood to learn a whole new play-style for a familiar, thanks anyway.

You wouldn't be learning anything new, just using the PF list rather than the 3.5e list, PF's familiar rules are the same as 3.5e, just has extra options.

EDIT: That said, looks like the fey options for it are brownies and a type of gremlin.