PDA

View Full Version : Which? DnD Setting

Geesuv
2007-03-21, 07:47 AM
For a while now I've been thinking that what my Dungeons&Dragons group really needs is a solid setting to run games in. So I plan to pick up one of the printed settings to use. The only problem is I know very little about any of the settings.
I'm wondering what opinions people have about the various settings that are out there and what you think any pros and cons are?

kamikasei
2007-03-21, 07:53 AM
What sort of game do you want to play?

The supported settings are Forgotten Realms and Eberron, with a little Greyhawk. Planescape and Spelljammer both apparently have online versions.

But the real question is the kind of game you're looking for.

Sahegian
2007-03-21, 08:06 AM
I'm partial to Forgotten Realms as it is what I've read the most fantasy in and when I think fantasy that is what I think of.

It is really all about what type of game you want to play. I played a little bit of Dark Sun in 2nd edition and it was a lot of fun. There is also a free 3.5 conversion on line. I've not played it, but the setting is interesting. It is a lot grittier than Forgotten Realms.

Saph
2007-03-21, 08:09 AM
Forgotten Realms has the most material and backstory. It's the one my group uses the most.

Eberron is the new one and the one with the most material being currently released.

Greyhawk is for the players who want to try D&D old-school.

- Saph

The J Pizzel
2007-03-21, 08:25 AM
We're forgetting Dragonlance.

Forgotten Realms is probably easiest to adapt too.
Dragonlance is a lot darker and grittier with lots of variations of the races.
Eberron is a bit modernized. It has "trains" and "zeppelins" and the like.
Greyhawk...well.....Greyhawk is kinda....um.....any thing you want it to be.

Sampi
2007-03-21, 08:33 AM
Then there's:

Planescape, which is high fantasy adventures on the Great Wheel of the multiverse (see the DMG for the planes)

Spelljammer, which is pirates-meet-space adventures-meet-fantasy, a hilarious yet very entertaining world by which you can take your adventures into any of the mentioned worlds

Ravenloft (though I'm not sure it's really supported anymore), a setting of horror fantasy - a demi-plane of horror in which the PC's are trapped.

I have ran FR and Spelljammer, and seen the others. Of the current ones, I'd suggest Eberron since it seems best suited for the new game.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-03-21, 08:54 AM
Not nearly enough support for Ravenloft, yiss. I weep.
I reccomend that with few reservations, ditto my reccomendation of Dark Sun.

I sort of dislike Eberron since it's so very very high-magic (and has magic trains) but it incorporates a good amount of innovative rules material, and if you like the whole 'magetech' angle, go for it.

Forgotten Realms is a good, reasonably literary setting with a plethora of decent material available, but it does suffer from (and indeed originate, in a way) the 'elminster problem' of high-level NPCs who could easily step in and do what the PCs would like to, i.e. save the day.

Grayhawk is the baseline setting, pretty much; adaptable, agreed-upon, ordered etc....not a favorite, but very solid.

Go with your gut, though.

storybookknight
2007-03-21, 09:35 AM
I'd sort of recommend against Dragonlance on the basis that kender are the most vile and obnoxious excuse for bad players to act out I've ever seen. Also I'm just not a fan of a lot of the source material.

That said, what I would recommend is Eberron. Most of the campaign setting books have a whole plethora of hooks for you to hang things off of, with the wizards.com site providing even more with news articles, "steal this hook" articles, and what have you.

Of course, I migrated to Eberron after exhausting and becoming thoroughly sick of Forgotten Realms. While to me, it's old and hackneyed, it might be that you'll enjoy it.

Ranis
2007-03-21, 09:45 AM
Look long and hard at Ebberron before you go into it for your group....it's a bit screwy. Dinosaur mounts. LOTS of Warforged. Three (or is it four?) suns. It's a bit strange.

Lord Tataraus
2007-03-21, 09:47 AM
Personnally, I hate Eberron because it has too much magic and screws stuff up rule-wise, and of course one of our DMs is in love with it and his games are so messed up I hate to play them.

As for Dragonlance, I really like that setting. The first game I DMed was Dragonlance and my group loved it. I like how it fixes wizards a bit and the races are great (just be sure to remind Kender players that their role is not to be obnoxiuos and evil). My players know not to play Kender as annoying for fear of evoking the wrath of DM.

Telonius
2007-03-21, 09:58 AM
Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are more Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time (if it were written by a good author). Typical high fantasy, gods take an active involvement, morality is black and white. Enemy is usually outside, ready to be fought, but occasionally there's the odd advisor who's secretly a worshipper of an evil deity.

Eberron is more like Indiana Jones and Solomon Kane. More of a gritty feel, gods are more distant, morality is a bit grey. Enemies are outside, but also within - systemic corruption within churches and politics.

That's just the general rundown. You can really have any particular adventure you want in any setting by making a few changes, but some lend themselves to one setting or the others a little better.

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-03-21, 10:00 AM
Planescape~!

Why? Loads and loads and loads of potential, along with enough freedom that once you start to feel comfortable with the setting it's wickedly easy to incorporate your own ideas, even if they don't necessarily fit in with the planes, simply because travelling to primes isn't ridiculously difficult.

Plus, if you play it right, a PC can stay in any of the outer planes for several sessions, there's lots to do. I've been playing relatively consistantly in a planescape/homebrew setting for the past two years and I've still not seen all of the outer or inner planes.

I've also always been a sucker for faction related stuff. If your players become involved in factions, easy hooks all over the place.

In any case, the setting offers some really cool ideas to play with and I'd recommend it. This site (http://www.planewalker.com/index.php) has pretty much all you'll need and be able to access, seeing as the original setting was 2e.

Whatever your decision, have fun ^_~

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-21, 10:36 AM
If you're brand new, start with Forgotten Realms. It's like THE starting point for D&D campaigns.

I love Eberron, but it's best appreciated if you're already digging fantasy roleplaying and would like a good twist to the formula. And it's proven time and time again that it's not for everyone.

Dragonlance feels kind of cartoony to me, but a lot of people like that aspect of it or ignore it. I guess that'd make a decent starting point as well, but it might give players the wrong impression of D&D.

Ravenloft should be avoided like the plague. Not because it's bad- because you're new. You're not ready for the door you're opening to spontaneously come to life and eat your face.

Planescape is trippy. It's best in the hands of seasoned roleplayers that are up to the challenge of understanding it.

Greyhawk is great if your newcomers aren't expecting some crazy epic plot and are fine with encounters that seem practically random. It's especially good as a learning aid.

Attilargh
2007-03-21, 10:48 AM
And of course the Iron Kingdoms (http://privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php) go without mention. The gobber in me weeps bitter tears.

Do you like guns? What about steam locomotives? Pirates? Undead pirates? Do you find the idea of powerful mages controlling steam-powered six ton robots on the battlefields more intriguing than ridiculous? Are you intrigued by an evolving campaign world?

If you answered "yes", Iron Kingdoms is the setting for you.

clericwithnogod
2007-03-21, 11:56 AM
I'd go with Eberron. If you don't have pre-existing hangups about what DND is supposed to be, it's easy to get into and really enjoy. It does have a different feel to it, but it's a feel that's suitable for what you can do in 3rd edition. It's all about doing things and having options. "If it exists in D&D, then it has a place in Eberron." http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20031216a

Meat Shield
2007-03-21, 12:01 PM
I play in Kenzerco's Kingdoms of Kalamar (http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_28) myself. Completely scalable magic level to be as high or low as you want it (well, maybe not as high as Eberron). Any king of monsters you want, and a big evil empire right in the middle of it all.

Assassinfox
2007-03-21, 12:55 PM
I rather like Planescape and Ravenloft (Kinda conflicting themes, huh?).

The official website for Planescape is

http://www.planewalker.com/

while the "official unofficial" Ravenloft site is

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/

Fixer
2007-03-21, 01:00 PM
Planescape and Spelljammer both apparently have online versions.
Where?

And has anyone seen a 3.5 Dark Sun?

kamikasei
2007-03-21, 01:11 PM
Where?

Here (http://www.planewalker.com/index.php), and here (http://www.spelljammer.org/).

And has anyone seen a 3.5 Dark Sun?

Here (http://www.athas.org/).

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-21, 01:40 PM
Three (or is it four?) suns. It's a bit strange.
Thirteen moons. Oddly, no astrological details are ever given for the sun, but it's implied there's just one.

Sorry, I felt the need to nitpick because I'm a bit of an Eberron fanboy. Admittedly, some people can't get past the magical androids (Warforged. Sapient lesser golems, basically) or the "magic trains", feeling they detract from the fantasy. Eberron, though, is a genre hybrid, mixing fantasy and the pulp, espionage, and detective novels of the late 19th and early 20th century. Sometimes, this combination makes things that sound silly, but overall, it's one of the best thought out and consistent campaign settings.

Forgotten Realms, however, is a worthy setting in itself. It is primarily high fantasy, with a little bit of political intrigue here and there. It is by far the most detailed and specific campaign setting, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on who you ask. Also note that the individual power level (that is to say, average character level of NPCs) is significantly higher than in other published settings. On the plus side, this means that most weapon shop owners are 5th-10th level fighters, and your party can't kill them and take their stuff. On the negative side, it means that any world-endagering Evil Plots would realistically be taken care of by one of Faerun's selection of altruistic Epic Wizards until players are extremely high level. Or, you could just say "they're all busy," because there are a hell of a lot of evil Epic Wizards, too.

Greyhawk is default. It is, again, high fantasy, Good vs. Evil. There is very little supplemental information about it, however, despite the fact that it is the "default" setting. The pantheon given in the Player's Handbook and Complete Divine? Greyhawk's. The Assassins that you have to be verifiably Evil to join? They're a guild in Greyhawk. The planar cosmology in the DMG? Greyhawk's. So really, you have a whole lot of information without buying any extra books. For georgraphy and NPCs and such, I believe you want the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, and that's basically it.

Phoenix Talion
2007-03-21, 03:05 PM
I'd say Forgotten realms. It's just so... classic. I started with it, and I keep coming back to it, though every now and then I have a violent reaction to the fact that there's enough deities to form a small army.

BabbageCliolog
2007-03-21, 03:08 PM
For a while now I've been thinking that what my Dungeons&Dragons group really needs is a solid setting to run games in. So I plan to pick up one of the printed settings to use. The only problem is I know very little about any of the settings.
I'm wondering what opinions people have about the various settings that are out there and what you think any pros and cons are?

Some Non-WotC settings that I like:

Low magic: Harn by Columbia Games
Med magic: Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press
High magic: make up your own.

You have lots to choose from WotC:

Mystara
Birthright
Al Quadim
Eberron
Forgotten Realms
Greyhawk
Dark Sun
Spelljammer
Ravenloft
Planescape
is that all?

Any of these would work, but the various supplements, rule books, & etc may or may not be good. YMMV.

Personally, I'd build a world as a game group, especially if you are going to have everyone GM. Talk it over. What does each player want out of the world. Modify existing game supplements to match. Add some salt and other spices. Serve.

/BC

Khantalas
2007-03-21, 03:12 PM
I'd say Freedom City if you're too lazy... but that's not strictly D&D, is it? Or at all.

Play in Greyhawk, I'd say. It's very easy to get used to (basically, any given book that doesn't name a setting already covers Greyhawk material) and for some reason, it is easy to add new stuff there. I mean, the designers do that, why not you?

If you have money to spend, get either Eberron or FR. I prefer the latter, not because of warforged (hell, I got Halruaans to invent them) or magical trains (who cares, we can cast teleport), but because I started there. I also like Dragonlance, because it's a very confined, small setting compared to the other two.

My favorite is Ravenloft, though I don't trust players with that setting. Too risky. May call for sanity checks in real life.

Assassinfox
2007-03-21, 03:43 PM
Some Non-WotC settings that I like:

Low magic: Harn by Columbia Games
Med magic: Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press
High magic: make up your own.

You have lots to choose from WotC:

Mystara
Birthright
Al Quadim
Eberron
Forgotten Realms
Greyhawk
Dark Sun
Spelljammer
Ravenloft
Planescape
is that all?

Don't forget Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Masque of the Red Death! :smallbiggrin:

ZekeArgo
2007-03-21, 03:49 PM
Gonna have to throw my hat in with the Eberron crowd. A stylisitic world where magic is abundant (and explained how so many magic items can be all over the place without severely hampering spellcasters) *and* not only in the hands of Tremere-esque wizards guilds? Where concepts like "halflings riding dinosaurs" and "magic trains" seem silly when just spoken aloud, but make a *lot* of sense when you read the background provided for them.

Love the books, love the setting, just love Eberron.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-21, 03:58 PM
Planescape! Planescape! Planescape!

It is really very, very, fun; full of mystery (LoP etc), can be integrated into any (if not all) of the other settings, and you get to improvise with much more flair than the other settings:

Forgotten Realms: A typical scene. A bar; several generic epic level wizards are just hanging around, getting progressively more drunk. Suddenly, the character who the PCs have been tailing for the last two sessions spots them, jumps up, and runs out.

Druid: I've got the best spot check. Where'd he go?

GM: Uh ... down the road ... behind a cart ... into a hut.

Planescape: A typical scene. A bar; several really weird outsiders with miscellaneous festoonments of blades are having an argument with a cynical tiefling bard, getting progressively more angry. Suddenly, the character who the PCs have been tailing for the last two sessions spots them, jumps up, and runs out.

Planar Shepherd: I've got the best spot check. Where'd he go?

GM: Through a portal to the paraelemental plane of radiance, where unimaginable powers are waiting to rip you apart in their savage joy. Want to follow him?

Assassinfox
2007-03-21, 04:01 PM
Planar Shepherd: I've got the best spot check. Where'd he go?

GM: Through a portal to the paraelemental plane of radiance, where unimaginable powers are waiting to rip you apart in their savage joy. Want to follow him?

"Saves us the trouble of ripping his eyes out, then."

Morty
2007-03-21, 04:53 PM
I'm currently reading Eberron Campaign Setting, and despite my hate for high, common and reliable magic it seems interesting and original, but... magic train?:smallyuk: What. Were. They. Smoking?
And besides, it's funny when they describe completely obvious things as setting specific- i.e blurred alignments and, more importantly the fact that not every evil person deserve to be killed.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-21, 04:57 PM
Obvious to most players, maybe, but in most D&D campaigns, good and evil is extremely black and white. If you're evil, you need to be smote, and the good guy needs to be doing the smiting.

Attilargh
2007-03-22, 04:08 AM
Don't forget Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Masque of the Red Death! :smallbiggrin:
The first two are a part of the Forgotten Realms and the third is apparently a part of Ravenloft.

Hey, if you've got money to spend, why not look at Ptolus? It's the setting for you if you want some urban adventure, and the book can be used to deal lethal damage if the players ever decide to leave the city!

MaxKaladin
2007-03-22, 10:37 AM
I used Forgotten Realms for many years before I made a homebrew setting. Now I'm getting ready for a new game and looking into published settings again. As much as it pains me to admit it, I just don't have the time to homebrew the setting again and I need to use a published setting. I've been looking around and I'll probably end up back with the Forgotten Realms.

Anyway, I'd say look into the Realms. It's a good setting with plenty of detail and enough variety that you can probably find a spot to set just about anything you care to do .

Logos7
2007-03-22, 10:50 AM
If you play by the rules Blurred Alignment is preety setting specific

Cleric's of any god can be any alignment

WereCreature's Alignment is based on strain not type (still infectious but their is infectious LG werewolves out their anyway) not that it stopped the LG church from hunting them down.

A LE Vampire is Doing all the Wrong things for all the right reasons as King.

and God doesn't come down and talk to your PC's EVER. Not even if they ask him to.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it else where, but not if your really following the rules. FR and GH are both Good vs Evil or in some cases Nutrual vs Good vs Evil

As far as the Airships and Lightening Rails go, If you don't think fencing on the top of a train with a crazy cultist of a good church is your idea of a good time, well eberron's not for you.

Basically Eberron tried to fit in with the 3.5 ( Including things like explaining where all those fricken magic items came) and give the DM a few extra tools ( Action Points laxing of a few alignment requirements, a few convience items [Trains, Airships, etc] so the story doesn't get stuck on the long walk like in LOTR) to make a kewl story that can support fantasy and pulp.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-22, 11:42 AM
Al Qadim and Planescape were my favorites followed by FRCS and Greyhawk.

Al Qadim would require some retooling for 3.5 but would be a pretty inexpensive setting with PDFs. You can download 2 pdfs Corsairs (Pirates) and Caravans free at Wizards. I think there was a third generic Treasure Maps which was pretty nice. You can usually get the others for $5 or less online with used hardcopies on line varying.

Some of my favorites are:

Land of Fate which briefly covers customs of the continent, major cities, some keys NPCs and groups of an enlightened aladin style fantasy campaign with maps.

I'd build the Shair around the Complete Divine Shaman and the Dragon Magazine (Believe it was #315) but calling arcane spells (along with ranger spells to capture the old flavor of the class) along with Summon Monster ability akin to the Cleric's Healing and the Druid's Summon Nature's Ally ability.

Dozen and One Adventures.

Ruined Kingdoms for a surprise "PC Heir" Orphan campaign which strongly supports a Divine theme for a Cleric/FS, Paladin, Merchant Rogue and Merchant Prince Types along with Exploring Ruins, Trading Adventures, Genies and Vanquishing a Great Ancient Evil.

Golden Voyages Sailing and Exploring Adventures questing for a legendary treasure is a lot of fun.

Cities of Bone is nice for undead type campaigns and ancient ruined treasure cities.

Assassin Mountain (Assassins/Cultists, Plagues, Politics, Quests and Relics)

City of Delights.

For Planescape Well of Worlds was nice for introducing Planar Adventuring along with Tales from the Infinite Stairway and The Great Modron March. Dead Gods was interesting along with Vecna Reborn for what should probably be a closing Campaign cap.

FRCS and Greyhawk are nice for lengthy 20+ year campaigns without needing to reinvent the wheel although FRCS has the most material.

I will probably find ECS more interesting in a few years once it is fleshed out better.

talsine
2007-03-22, 11:45 AM
I really like Eberron, as soon as i saw the picture of the airship flying with the aid of a bound fire elemental i was hooked. I mean, sky pirates? How cool is that? Course, we tend to do Indiana Jones/Pulp style stories, lots of investigation in strange ruins, flying quickly from one place to another to try and stop the "bad guy" who more often than not is better than we are, but thats not really the points, heh.

Course, i like Iron Kingdoms even more. Has a grittier feel than Eberron and has some built in controls of CoDZilla and magic in general. Plus it has none of that outer planes nonsense. Also, it has Powered Steam Armor. I was in love at first sight

Assassinfox
2007-03-22, 11:51 AM
The first two are a part of the Forgotten Realms and the third is apparently a part of Ravenloft.

Hey, if you've got money to spend, why not look at Ptolus? It's the setting for you if you want some urban adventure, and the book can be used to deal lethal damage if the players ever decide to leave the city!

The list included Al-Qadim, which is also a part of Forgotten Realms. And Masque of Red Death takes place on Earth in the late 1800s, not in the Demiplane of Dread like Ravenloft.

Attilargh
2007-03-22, 11:59 AM
You're right, sorry. Blasted sub-campaign settings and their confusing names!

OzymandiasVolt
2007-03-22, 12:27 PM
For the record, Eberron has magic everywhere, but it's all LOW LEVEL MAGIC. High level spellcasters are quite rare. In fact, high level characters in general are very rare.

As for the magic trains, they were created so Joe Average can get from city to city quickly and safely because he's a commoner and can't cast Teleport like you can, M0rt.

clarkvalentine
2007-03-26, 03:16 PM
Eberron is a stupid amount of fun, and though I've barely played in it it looks like Iron Kingdoms would be too.

But my main interest is Dragonlance. I strongly encourage anyone to check out the 3.5 edition.

PnP Fan
2007-03-26, 09:07 PM
As others have said, it's all about the game you want to run/play.

Greyhawk is fun at the beginning, but is a little bland for my tastes.

Forgotten Realms is lots of fun, lots of pockets of cultures to explore, more conflict that any stable gameworld should have, so their are more stories than you can come up with anywhere. It has more or less replaced Greyhawk as the "standard" setting. The biggest problem with it is that there are a billion and 1 novels out there for it, and if your players are fans of the literature at all, you will inevitably come across the statement, "That's not the way it describes them in the nth novel in the 16th drow trilogy!" Be ready for it, and tell your players to suck it up, and that Salvatore wasn't available for consultation when you put the campaign together. ;-)

Dragonlance is neat for big epic worldshattering stories. I'm not as familia with it as FR, but it also suffers from the billion and one novel problem that FR has.

Planescape is neat, but I would let your players age a bit. Just when they are tired of hack n slash and are about to play WoD, whip out the planescape, and watch their heads spin at the RP opportunities. A highly symbolic setting, it is really geared towards folks of a slightly literary bent, or for folks who like fiction based on philosophy or religion.

Eberron, well, imo I've saved the best for last. :-) Take all of the great pulp stories, mix them in with a healthy dose of film noir, in a post WWI . . .. er I mean post Last War setting, with extra planar horrors, and the end of the world looming in the distance, add a dash of UNPUBLISHED prophecy, and religions that will satisfy both your polytheists and your monotheists, and you've got Eberron. It's a great setting for intrigue stories, war stories (you could easily play the game During the Last War), flashbacks, pulp style hidden temples, etc. . . AND their are only a handful of novels published, so you are less likely to run into the billion and one novel problem.

Hope this helps. . . and Good luck!

ZekeArgo
2007-03-26, 09:10 PM
AND their are only a handful of novels published, so you are less likely to run into the billion and one novel problem.

Also the novels are *fantastic*. I know this is off-topic, but definatly pickup any of the Eberron novels you find. Excellent work on all of them!

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-26, 09:47 PM
Looking over all this, D&D must really be doing something right with their various campaign worlds. I mean, just look around- maybe there are people that whole-heartedly hate a campaign or two, but no single setting seems disliked by more then a handful of people at a time.

Basically, there's a world for everyone, and at least over half of everyone can agree to them.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-26, 09:51 PM
*Obligatory Ptolus (http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?ptolus) shout-out.*

It's only the city where 3.x was created. Sort of the new Greyhawk!

PinkysBrain
2007-03-26, 09:52 PM
Eberron is more like Indiana Jones and Solomon Kane. More of a gritty feel, gods are more distant
That's an understatement :)

In Eberron the existence of gods can fundamentally not even be ascertained, they don't interfere at all ... even the dead don't get to see god (or if they do at that point they can't be resurrected anymore, so they won't come back to tell about it).

Druid
2007-03-26, 09:54 PM
I'd also like to recommend Eberron. While it's not a traditional high fantasy setting like FR or GH it is a very well done and incredibly fun setting.

Edit: ^That's not entirely true. The Silver Flame is definitely real.

The Valiant Turtle
2007-03-26, 09:56 PM
Add me to the list of Eberron lovers and Realms dislikers. For me the big hook for Eberron was the orcs of all things. I just love that orcs are the guardians of the planar seals and maintainers of the oldest druidic traditions. They might be a little bit primitive, but they have the oldest and "good"est traditions. I'm pretty fond of the halflings as well, and both elven cultures. I do hate those stupid trains.

Like others here I do not consider Eberron to be High Magic. Magic is more common than probably any other setting, but it's all extremely low level. Actual spellcasters are very rare.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-26, 10:05 PM
Edit: ^That's not entirely true. The Silver Flame is definitely real.
It's real, but it's not really a god.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-26, 10:26 PM
I think that's arguable. The flame, as it exists, is a manifestation of a universal force that certain individuals can converse with; Tira Miron's soul within the Flame speaks to the Keeper of the Flame and others, as does the demonic soul on rare occasions. It is worshipped as a divine entity by a large number of people. It doesn't have a character sheet within Divine Ranks, but it does have a lot in common with a "god" as the term generally applies to D&D.

Of course, there are also more physical individuals who are worshiped or venerated, such as Erandis d'Vol (by those few sects within the Blood of Vol who are aware of her existence) and Radiant Idols (by their respective cults). However, I wouldn't call any of them gods, as they aren't representative of universal ideals, like the Flame or the Sovereign Host/Dark Six pantheon (who have no physical existence at all, as far as anyone knows).

So, is the Silver Flame a god? The answer is a definite "kinda. Maybe."

Druid
2007-03-26, 11:01 PM
What he said.

Fizban
2007-03-26, 11:05 PM
I don't know if it was a full setting, or even if I have the right name, but I read some magic sourcebooks for a Scarred Lands setting from 3.0. It was pretty cool except for the lack of magic item pricing (something about all treasure has to be randomly rolled or something), and a few broken spells, but as I said it was 3.0. That's all I know, though there was a suprising amount of general info for the settings equivalent of Magic of Faerun.