PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Finesse Weapons rule clarification

Talyn
2014-11-02, 05:14 PM
So, in my session today, my high-Strength paladin was challenged to an aristocratic duel with rapiers. My DEX, understandably, is appalling.

There was some discussion about whether a player had the option to use his Strength bonus for determining the attack and damage bonus on Finesse weapons. After reading the rule book, it doesn't seem to be 100% clear either way.

Our DM determined that, for the purposes of the duel, it was okay for me to use my Strength (which certainly made me happy!). We figured that this was an actual duel, out for blood, not sport-fencing, so a stronger man who knew how to use that strength in life-and-death battles would be able to use that strength to his advantage in a duel.

While I'm fine with that interpretation for our table, I was curious whether people on the board would agree with that ruling.

Daishain
2014-11-02, 05:24 PM
AFB, so cannot check on the wording, but I recall the finesse property giving you the OPTION of using dex.

rlc
2014-11-02, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure that's the general consensus. And probably has been clarified.
But, yeah, unless something specifically says not to do it, then you usually can.

HugeC
2014-11-02, 05:33 PM
Basic rules page 9: "For attacks with melee weapons, use your Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls. A weapon that has the finesse property, such as a rapier, can use your Dexterity modifier instead." (Emphasis mine.)

Shadow
2014-11-02, 06:47 PM
Melee attacks are Str by default. The finesse property simply allows the option to use Dex instead.

Talyn
2014-11-02, 07:53 PM
Glad to hear that's the consensus. I'd feel awkward if I had to go back and explain to my DM that I probably should have lost that duel by RAW...

Occasional Sage
2014-11-03, 01:11 AM
Picture Mal fighting his duel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindig_(Firefly)); that's about what a Dex vs Str rapier duel will look like.

MadGrady
2014-11-03, 08:33 AM
Picture Mal fighting his duel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindig_(Firefly)); that's about what a Dex vs Str rapier duel will look like.

This was such a glorious scene

Person_Man
2014-11-03, 09:27 AM
It's also worth mentioning that ranged weapons use Dexterity by default, but thrown weapons can use your Strength modifier instead. (But are not required to - its basically the inverse of Finesse).

This is particularly important for Rogue builds, which are typically Dexterity based and use Two Weapon Fighting on turns that they don't use Cunning Action.

Shadow
2014-11-03, 09:40 AM
It's also worth mentioning that ranged weapons use Dexterity by default, but thrown weapons can use your Strength modifier instead. (But are not required to - its basically the inverse of Finesse).

This is particularly important for Rogue builds, which are typically Dexterity based and use Two Weapon Fighting on turns that they don't use Cunning Action.

You have this incorrect.
Thrown weapons use the same stat that melee uses. A thrown javelin always uses strength, while a thrown dagger can use either strength or dex.
Interestingly, dagger and dart are the only two finesse weapons with the thrown property. All other thrown weapons use strength.

edit:
A single level of monk makes any simple weapon a finesse weapon by design (if not by name) as long as you follow the stipulation regarding armor/shield, which would allow you to use dex with other simple thrown weapons, but they use strength by default and there is no other way to use dex instead.
Even a rogue with a light hammer uses strength normally, melee or otherwise.

Talyn
2014-11-03, 02:56 PM

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I pitched it to the DM to let me use my STR bonus with the rapier and my Shield Expert feat with the buckler!

HorridElemental
2014-11-03, 03:17 PM
That was exactly what I was thinking of when I pitched it to the DM to let me use my STR bonus with the rapier and my Shield Expert feat with the buckler!

No such thing as a buckler in 5e, you take a shield and call it a buckler... There shouldn't be any reason to have to pitch Shield Expert with a buckler...

Unless you just meant the entire PC and not as a separate pitch haha.

Talyn
2014-11-03, 07:31 PM
Sorry, I meant "pitch" as in "sales pitch." Our DM house-ruled Bucklers on the spot (a "light shield" that only gave +1 to AC) to throw me a bone since my character is extremely shield-themed, and the rapier+buckler dueling style was very setting appropriate.