PDA

View Full Version : "Variant" familiar creatures

Totema
2014-11-02, 06:29 PM
Just wondering, do we have a list of all the MM creatures that have the "variant familiar" rules available for them? The ones I can name off the top of my head are pseudodragons, imps, and quasits, but I suspect there may be more.

Totema
2014-11-04, 12:15 AM
Bump? I can't believe this got so many views with no replies. :smalltongue:

Likantropos
2014-11-04, 07:13 AM
Maybe that's because there are no more variant familiars than the ones you mentioned?

BranMan
2014-11-04, 10:25 AM
AFB but I think that's all of them. Homunculus could work, but those are usually just built.

Daishain
2014-11-04, 10:49 AM
If you're looking for more alternatives, by all means come up with some of your own. Pick an appropriate intelligent creature and give it some rules by which it may choose to bond to a master. You can likewise expand the "Find Familiar" list with tiny non intelligent animals

It's homebrew and very much subject to DM approval, but there's nothing inherently stopping you from doing such.

flyenemu
2014-11-18, 12:42 PM
If you're looking for more alternatives, by all means come up with some of your own. Pick an appropriate intelligent creature and give it some rules by which it may choose to bond to a master. You can likewise expand the "Find Familiar" list with tiny non intelligent animals

It's homebrew and very much subject to DM approval, but there's nothing inherently stopping you from doing such.

I have done such things before with relatively good success. My current campaign (3.5 so not completely relevant) has an androsphinx (child) familiar that I de-evolved to mimic several of the stats of the provided pseudo-dragon familiar (feat required of course) .