PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Incarnum Saving Throw Changes

Kesnit
2014-11-02, 08:48 PM
I saw a post not long ago in this sub-forum* that listed different ways to determine the DC of a saving throw against a soulmeld. (The idea was to keep them closer in line with saving throws vs. spells.) One was (I think) 10+CON/WIS mod (depending on class)+ essentia invested. The other included another, more extensive calculation.

I'd like to take the ideas to my DM and ask if she'd allow either. Sadly, my searching is failing me, and I cannot find that post. Does anyone know the post I'm talking about, or the calculations? Or have their own calculations that work well?

*Well, I'm pretty sure it was here. I was doing some research on a Totemist other places, but I'm sure I saw it here. I know it wasn't in Homebrew since I don't read that sub-forum.

Taveena
2014-11-02, 09:09 PM
The first one you mentioned is the baseline one, so...

Kesnit
2014-11-02, 09:50 PM
The first one you mentioned is the baseline one, so...

I swear I read somewhere that the book says the DC is 15+essentia. No idea where I got that from... But yeah, just looked and it is 10+CON+essentia.

Edit: Anyway... I know I did see a thread that added something to the calculation, to make up for the fact that essentia cannot go above 4 (with a few exceptions). I think it added 1/2 soulmelder level, or something like that.

Big Fau
2014-11-02, 09:56 PM
I swear I read somewhere that the book says the DC is 15+essentia. No idea where I got that from... But yeah, just looked and it is 10+CON+essentia.

Check the PrCs. Some of them may have that text.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-03, 01:49 AM
Edit: Anyway... I know I did see a thread that added something to the calculation, to make up for the fact that essentia cannot go above 4 (with a few exceptions). I think it added 1/2 soulmelder level, or something like that.

That would make the saves higher than spells'. Or would if it weren't much easier to pump spell DCs than meld DCs

Taveena
2014-11-03, 02:47 AM
You can invest up to 8 essentia in a Soulmeld - 4 base, +2 from class features (for the Incarnate and the Totemist, anyway - sorry, Soulborn), +1 from an Incarnum Focus (Magic of Incarnum), and +1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat.

Kesnit
2014-11-03, 05:47 AM
That would make the saves higher than spells'. Or would if it weren't much easier to pump spell DCs than meld DCs

I know. As I said, I can't remember exactly what numbers were used. Which is why I am asking for help. :smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

You can invest up to 8 essentia in a Soulmeld - 4 base, +2 from class features (for the Incarnate and the Totemist, anyway - sorry, Soulborn)

But only to a meld to the Totem, though Incarnates can do it to any.

+1 from an Incarnum Focus (Magic of Incarnum),

Which cost 15,000 per chakra.

and +1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat.

But only 1 soulmeld/day, which is set for the day, unless I want to burn multiple feats.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-11-03, 05:52 PM
Just make it 10 + 1/2 HD + relevant ability mod (Con or Wis) and be done with it. Works for every monster, will work for meldshapers, too. Simple and balanced. If you want, let the meldshaper use the original calculation (10 + essentia invested + ability mod) if it would be higher.