PDA

View Full Version : Stone Power: How much can non-initiators get out of it?

Kevingway
2014-11-02, 10:45 PM
Exactly as the title asks, I've been trying my best to figure out how to use the Stone Power feat from ToB without going into Devoted Spirit or being a Crusader. As much as people generally defend the Stone Dragon (is that what it's called?) school of maneuvers, I don't like to rely on it very heavily as it tends to be situational, and I'll be flying eventually. Stone Power, however, seems like it could have many opportunities to be useful with other feats/abilities, but I can't quite figure out what those would be for those of us not wanting to put levels into initiating classes.

Has anyone dabbled with it before or noticed anything that would go well (without too much commitment to make useful) with 10 temp hp per round?

weckar
2014-11-02, 10:56 PM
Here's the thing from my perspective:
The only way but those classes to get it is to take a feat to get it.
Taking one of those levels would get you MORE maneuvers.
You get 20 class levels.
You get (by default) 7 feats.

Math says take the level.

Kevingway
2014-11-02, 11:03 PM
You get 20 class levels.

Right, but aside from that. You won't get everything you need to make the feat actually useful from a one-level dip, just for prerequisites. I'm not asking from a prerequisite standpoint necessarily, since that part's a given.

Troacctid
2014-11-02, 11:21 PM
A one-level dip in Crusader gets you the delayed damage pool. That's pretty much all you need, really.

Manly Man
2014-11-02, 11:44 PM
I suppose that you could also be a Psion (Egoist) or a Psychic Warrior and add it into the equation with a vigor-share pain combo with your psicrystal.

Kevingway
2014-11-03, 02:42 PM
It's an idea, but seems sort of redundant at that point. Hm.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-03, 03:28 PM
Stone power makes a nice little bit of ablative shielding when you know you're going to be soaking lots little hits. That's about it.

It -is,- however, prerequisite to shards of granite, which is very nice.

nedz
2014-11-03, 03:40 PM
You get 20 class levels.

Except that those feats are Fighter Bonus feats — OK that's not much of an argument if you end up taking levels of Fighter to get them, but there are other routes.