PDA

View Full Version : How to full attack someone?

With a box
2014-11-03, 04:51 AM
The "start full-round action" standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can’t use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.
1. you move to near of target (and he get an attack of opportunity)
1'. you attack him with stardard action.
2. your turn ends
3. targer withdraw(or any move action) from there
4. your turn comes
5. you can't full attack him because he isn't there and can't use full attack if you move more then 5ft.
Zeno's paradoxes is here!
I'm obviously missing something, what is that?

Heliomance
2014-11-03, 04:54 AM
The title "How to full attack someone with a box" amuses me.

On topic, generally people don't use the withdraw action unless it's a choice between that and dying. It's a full round action, so a turn you withdraw is a turn you don't do anything useful.

eggynack
2014-11-03, 05:03 AM
I'm obviously missing something, what is that?
Few things, really. I'ma hit them on a step by step basis.

1. you move to near of target (and he get an attack of opportunity)
Not quite, at least on the latter step. Yes, the target may get an attack of opportunity, but that only occurs if the target's reach exceeds your own. This attack of opportunity is the target's main source of attack parity in this situation, so if it's broken, then you're in an advantageous position, attack-wise.

1'. you attack him with stardard action.
Maybe. Instead, you can plausibly use something like improved trip, knocking the target prone and hitting him on the same turn (maybe hitting twice if you have knock-down).

3. targer withdraw from there
Which brings us to this point. If the first situation occurs, then withdrawing puts the target behind on attacks. If the second occurs, then withdrawing is impossible.

5. you can't full attack him because he isn't there and can't use full attack if you move more then 5ft.
And finally, we arrive at the conclusion, that there are situations where it is very much possible to full attack. That's not even the end of it though. The real main way to obtain full attacks is by picking up pounce, usually through spirit lion totem barbarian, though there are other methods. This allows a move+full attack, which bypasses a lot of your stated issues. There's also the obviously possibility that your opponent wants to full attack you, which opens the door to big stab-fests.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-03, 05:07 AM
Use your standard action attack to trip your foe.

He can stand up from prone as a Move action (which provokes), but that leaves him in a bad place. He cannot use a Full-Round action to withdraw, so getting further than 5' away from you provokes an AoO.

If you are limited to one AoO per round, choose to refrain from taking that attack when your foe stands up. This leaves you open to use it to trip him, again, when he tries to move away from you.

The Stand Still feat is similarly potent, IIRC.

Your foe does not gain an AoO from you approaching him. That only happens when you move from one square he threatens to another, for instance if your foe has 10' or more Reach - so when you move from the first square he threatens to the square adjacent to him, he gets an AoO at that point. But just entering his threatened space does not provoke.

EDIT: Whole lotta ninja'ing going on.

Chronos
2014-11-03, 10:27 AM
And if your opponent uses a 5' step to get away from you, then you can just use your own 5' step to close with him and then full attack.

Even against an opponent who is trying to withdraw, you can often back them up against a wall.

Psyren
2014-11-03, 10:31 AM
You can also (as some have said) get pounce - there are several ways to do this in both editions - and simply full attack every time you charge, so even if they can withdraw safely they aren't stopping you from making multiple attacks.

Necroticplague
2014-11-03, 10:34 AM
Well, if they're going to keep using their whole turn to run from me, then I still win out just making one attack a turn. If they stop running, then I can full-attack them. And if I really need them to stay still, I can charge them, and then trip or grapple them. I see this as a winning position.

KingSmitty
2014-11-03, 10:37 AM
Travel Devotion, get a free move action every turn, i think this meshes well with pounce because now you dont have to worry about charging in a straight line