PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite wall?

With a box
2014-11-03, 08:45 AM
There are many wall of _____ spells
What's your favorite one?
1. For building base
2. In battle

Brookshw
2014-11-03, 08:54 AM
Gears. It's not the most powerful but I find it thematically cool.

Rebel7284
2014-11-03, 08:57 AM
Blockade (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-scoundrel--60/blockade--897/) doesn't have the word "wall" in it, but as a first level SWIFT action spell, it's my favorite wall. :)

Amphetryon
2014-11-03, 09:04 AM
Hardly the most useful, but I always liked Wall of Smoke for its combination of BFC and Debuff.

heavyfuel
2014-11-03, 09:20 AM
Blockade (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-scoundrel--60/blockade--897/) doesn't have the word "wall" in it, but as a first level SWIFT action spell, it's my favorite wall. :)

Perfect for setting up your Dungeoncrasher Fighter

Psyren
2014-11-03, 09:30 AM
Salt and Iron make you rich, allowing you to buy all the others.

Dalebert
2014-11-03, 09:41 AM
Wall of blindness/deafness because I think it might be the only wall (not 3rd party) that witches get and they don't get many crowd control spells.

Rickshaw
2014-11-03, 10:07 AM
A simple dazing wall of fire is always fun

dascarletm
2014-11-03, 10:21 AM
Answers:
1. Blood
2. Blood

This is achieved by using Grasping Wall as a base, and spell thematics.

Divide by Zero
2014-11-03, 10:24 AM
Wall of Iron + Invisible Spell.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-03, 10:33 AM
No love for the ol' Living Wall?

It's also terribly high level, but a Programmed Illusion of a dude walking through an Illusory Wall, one inch in front of a Prismatic Wall. It only works once, but so fun.

Feint's End
2014-11-03, 10:35 AM

Wow this thing is awesome. Really wanna use this on a caster now.

nedz
2014-11-03, 11:36 AM
Illusory Wall — doesn't have to be vertical.

Even better than though this is Mirage Arcana, which lets you build illusory buildings.

Non of these survive True Seeing, but the trick is to not make them think that they need to cast this spell.

Sian
2014-11-03, 11:41 AM
Walls of Flesh or Walls of Ooze, both described in Dungeonscape

Troacctid
2014-11-03, 11:54 AM
Wall of Incarnum. Will negates, sure, but you're taking Wisdom damage just for touching it. And bonus points for being an obscure spell that nobody ever uses because you can't even cast it without a feat.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-03, 12:01 PM
I'm a druid, so I have to go with wall of stone.

1.) Classic.

2.) Excellent synergy with numerous other spells (transmute rock to x, soften earth and stone, stone shape, greater stone shape, metamorphosis the spell).

3.) Classic.

4.) Much less strain on the economy than wall of iron, which pretty much makes the mining and smelting industries irrelevant when combined with fabricate. Thus, as DM, I like wall of stone.

Wall of water is a close second, mainly because you can flash freeze enemies inside it (I think). Did something like that once.

nedz
2014-11-03, 12:47 PM
Wall of water with Water elementals is indeed hilarious — I cast Washing Machine.

Wall of water with sharks is a close second.

Wall of water was a cleric spell in Sandstorm, not so in the SpC though. This is a shame, because Water Devotion.

Ruethgar
2014-11-03, 01:55 PM
War Wall of Stone because instant keep(25*CL Walls of Stone). Or a heavily modified Create Water with creative interpretation of water.

ArqArturo
2014-11-03, 01:59 PM
I'm a simple-minded soul that enjoys long walks on the beach, and bonfire-lit enemies, so I'm gonna go with Wall of Fire.

Chronos
2014-11-03, 02:13 PM
Shadow Conjuration Wall of Stone.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-03, 03:36 PM
War Wall of Stone because instant keep(25*CL Walls of Stone). Or a heavily modified Create Water with creative interpretation of water.

Where was the war spell thing located, again?

eggynack
2014-11-03, 03:46 PM
I'm a druid, so I have to go with wall of stone.

I prefer wall of salt. Does a roughly similar thing, except you're not paying that annoying druid premium on spell level. Same kinda thing applies to spells like dispel magic and greater dispel magic. It is possible that I'm wrong though, making a "feels better" assessment rather than taking an objective measure of power level, given spell level. Wall of stone does have a good amount more defensive utility than salt, after all.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-03, 11:55 PM
Where was the war spell thing located, again?

It appears to be Dragon Magazine #309, according to my source. It's also fairly involved stuff, from what I'm gleaning, including this gem:

WAR MAGIC STUDY [GENERAL]
You have studied war magic and can perform the complex
rituals necessary to utilize it.
Prerequisites: Great Fortitude, Iron Will, spellcaster level
3rd.
Benefit: You may acquire and cast spells with the war
descriptor.
Normal: War magic spells do not appear on any class spell
list for a character without this feat. Such a character cannot
acquire or cast spells with the war descriptor but still can aid
another person who is casting such a spell.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-11-04, 12:00 AM
I prefer Wall of Magma. With spells like that one Unicorn Horn something or other that gives you ranged Bull Rush, you can force things into it and watch them burn.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-04, 12:09 AM
I prefer Wall of Magma. With spells like that one Unicorn Horn something or other that gives you ranged Bull Rush, you can force things into it and watch them burn.

Hehe, yeah, this is a good spell. I remember a great scene where the players threw up a wall of magma behind some of the enemies, in an area where there was an ongoing blizzard spell. Had some very amusing unexpected consequences.

Yael
2014-11-04, 06:42 AM
Wall of chains. (http://youtu.be/N7s0FPxLhzY?t=50s)

Dalebert
2014-11-04, 12:10 PM
Anyone know what happened to Wall of Vermin? It's a third party PF spell that used to come up on searches on the PFSRD and was available to witches (hence my interest). Now I can't find it.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-04, 12:33 PM
No love for the ol' Living Wall?

It's also terribly high level, but a Programmed Illusion of a dude walking through an Illusory Wall, one inch in front of a Prismatic Wall. It only works once, but so fun.

I was going to reply with something else but this just wins.

Dalebert
2014-11-04, 12:47 PM
I was going to reply with something else but this just wins.

Oh, I agree. I'm not the right class or high enough level to pull that one off yet but it inspired me. I'm going to cast Wall of blindness/deafness sometime and coordinate with my faerie dragon to throw up a silent image of a wall, then run through it and cast a Wall of Bindness/Deafness. The only thing is, wouldn't they immediately get a saving through to realize it's an illusion, and if so, it becomes ghostly and transparent to them, yes?

superjudas
2014-11-04, 12:53 PM
I can not belive anybody has said wall of eyes yet. It is the most awsome wall ever, both for combat, and for building a fortress.

After you cast it you can see through it, even across planes.
If somebody touches it, and fails enough saves the wall consumes that somebody and more eyes are added to the wall.

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-04, 01:03 PM
Silent image of a prismatic sphere with the BBEG inside. It's one step shy of the silent image of a ghost greatwyrm dragon and does a better job stopping PCs then any "wall" I have ever seen.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-04, 01:22 PM
The only thing is, wouldn't they immediately get a saving through to realize it's an illusion, and if so, it becomes ghostly and transparent to them, yes?

Chains of Disbelief illusionist variant says hi. I think.

Dalebert
2014-11-04, 01:41 PM
Chains of Disbelief illusionist variant says hi. I think.

Even then, they get a +10 to their save from proof it's an illusion but it's still a nice option.

I attempted to disbelieve something (that later turned out to be a nightmare; not an illusion per se) and my DM said "You're convinced it's an illusion!" or something like that so I communicated to the rest of the party that it was an illusion. Then it bit me and did damage. Apparently my DM has house-ruled away the whole "looking ghostly and transparent" part of disbelieving illusions. I'm going to totally exploit this house rule. I don't think he realized how much that will likely benefit me more than hurt me considering that I've taken the shadow patron which includes a lot of shadow magic. I just wish he would inform me of these house rules ahead of time instead of letting me discover them in the middle of my action round.