PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Half-vampire temp HP

PsychoBear
2014-11-03, 10:43 AM
One of my players came back as a half-vampire, but we heavily homebrewed it, removing a lot of features to make it an LA 1 rather than 2. Now, the blood drain ability could use some work.

Blood Drain (Ex): Some half-vampires can suck blood from a living victim with their fangs by making a successful grapple check. If the half-vampire pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. A half-vampire can't drain more points of Constitution in a single hour than its Constitution score. When a half-vampire drains a victim's Constitution, it gains 5 temporary hit points, no matter how many points it drains. Temporary hit points gained in this way last for up to 1 hour. If a half-vampire has this ability, it also gains the blood dependency special quality described below.

They get 5 Temp HP no matter how many CON is drained, and they can drain as much CON as their own CON modifier, so a half-vampire with lucky rolls could suck out only 1 CON every time and receive his own Con * 5 Temp HP in a day. I made a rule that you can never have more Temp HP that your max HP (So, with temp, you could be at 200% HP at most), but that doesn't prevent the player from draining some temp, then using it on those duskblade spells that involve self harm, then gain more temp HP in a loop.

Any advice on how to limit this ability a bit? For information, the party is ECL 4 and the player in question is ECL 3 with an LA 1, so a Half-Vampire Duskblade 2.

PsychoBear
2014-11-03, 11:18 AM
Bump, because the game is tonight and I've limited time to read the thread.

PsychoBear
2014-11-03, 06:19 PM
Ending thread, nearing game time. I'll figure it out.