PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this arm-weapon thing?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-03, 06:19 PM
What is this on her left arm? And the leg/boot blades too?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/164/a/a/ravine__mesadee_ripper_by_nebezial-d3807kp.jpg

Aegis013
2014-11-03, 06:23 PM
Bladed Tonfa.
Bladed boots.

I don't think those particular weapons are inherently designed with some real life weapon in mind.

Kevingway
2014-11-03, 06:25 PM
Skarn spines.

And on that note, wth?

Psyren
2014-11-03, 07:01 PM
Hope she doesn't have to pick her nose :smalltongue:

I'd call it a refluffed spiked gauntlet.

Honest Tiefling
2014-11-03, 07:04 PM
Doesn't really cover her hand. Would it qualify as spiked armor at all?

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-03, 07:42 PM
Impractical

kalasulmar
2014-11-04, 06:57 AM
Klingon batleth.

Yael
2014-11-04, 07:13 AM
I would say this is not that good for fighting, sundering could be dangerous for her arm.

HighWater
2014-11-04, 09:18 AM
A bashblade and kick-blades?

To pile on the "OMG that looks impracticaally dangerous"-crowd:
They look tremendously dangerous to not just the opponent but also the wearer. They also do look cool.

And also, is she wearing high heels? :smalleek:

Erik Vale
2014-11-04, 09:22 AM
The legs are called 'Are you nuts?' and yes, she's wearing heels.
Arm is called 'Over large and impractical'.

GreyBlack
2014-11-04, 09:35 AM
It's not impractical. It's EXTREMELY impractical. Closest I'd say is it's an oversized bladed tonfa with short swords on the boots, but [REDACTED] if it isn't a bit silly.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-04, 10:14 AM
Well, this certainly looks like someone who would fight using a lot of spinning kicks. Considering that the best way in martial arts to block a low kick is to intercept it with a kick of your own...

Yeah, no. I wouldn't want to fight her at ALL. This looks like someone who geared up to fight specifically against monks of one sort or another.

Also, I guess you'd call that blade on her arm an axe of sorts? Like a dwarven buckler axe, but without the buckler bit.

I suppose for the leg blades, look into the hidden blade section of Complete Scoundrel, and scale up the damage, but remove the concealment, that's the best I can do.

...C'mon guys, seriously. We have Glory-whatever armor, that makes Conan the chippendale look over-dressed. We've seen way worse than this before.

Chainmail bikinis. CHAIN. MAIL. BI. KI. NIS.

heavyfuel
2014-11-04, 10:27 AM

You mean you don't do ninja style martial arts and acrobatics in heels? :smallconfused:

Next you'll tell me that armors with boob-shaped plate isn't your protection of choice

Troacctid
2014-11-04, 10:33 AM
Looks like the sort of weapons I'd expect to see on, like, a construct--something that isn't worried about hurting itself. That or a Hork-Bajir.

PraxisVetli
2014-11-04, 11:14 AM
Looks like the sort of weapons I'd expect to see on, like, a construct--something that isn't worried about hurting itself. That or a Hork-Bajir.

I'm not entirely sure Hork-Bajir need weapons..

Somensjev
2014-11-04, 11:26 AM

i never expected to see a reference to hork-bajir on these forums :smalleek:
then again, i never expected to see a reference to hork-bajir anywhere.

and i'll echo the people saying it looks like a really weird bladed tonfa

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-04, 11:37 AM
It -looks- like highly stylized shadowblade. The connection at the forearm is a little close to the elbow and -way- too snug. The apparent center of balance is also way too far forward.

I wouldn't use that one in particular but the weapon it's based on can be useable in skilled hands.

The boot blades are just weird and probably a bad idea.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-04, 11:40 AM

They're to help her feet stay in her stirrups, obviously.

Mato
2014-11-04, 11:40 AM
then again, i never expected to see a reference to hork-bajir anywhere.The Taxxons keep eating the replies that mention them. :smallwink:

Somensjev
2014-11-04, 11:44 AM
The Taxxons keep eating the replies that mention them. :smallwink:

i really have to find this series again, and reread it, it's been so long. i probably haven't read any of those books for at least half my life damned youthfulness :smalleek:

actually, if she had a second bladed tonfa, some more spikes on her armour, and a horned helmet, she could almost pass off as a hork-bajir

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-04, 11:45 AM
Looks a bit like the Fin Razors and Tail Blades from Cerulean Seas (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8i1m?Cerulean-Seas-Campaign-Setting). In that setting they are used by intelligent fish such as sharks, but this could be a human variant.

I'd stat them up as 1d6 19-20 x2 (P, S), cannot be disarmed, full round action to equip.

Troacctid
2014-11-04, 11:49 AM

They don't, but that's what it reminds me of.

(Personally, I'm surprised I don't see more Animorphs references on these boards. I can't be the only one who houserules wildshape to require a touch attack in order to acquire a new morph?)

SiuiS
2014-11-04, 12:40 PM
Useless.

It looks cool, but that's it. Although they made a set of the leg ones for soul calibur three and gave the fighter a very sweeping kick intensive style of combat. It was called the Grieve Edge. (http://youtu.be/SxYnEQTszN8)

Absotively posolutely no good pictures available of the weapons themselves though, which is unfortunate. The individual choices include; shoes with a huge fan on top of the foot, up to gorgeous full leg plating with crystaline spines.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-04, 02:37 PM
They might be totally useless in the real world, but then so are dire flails, double bladed swords, orc double axes and tons of other weapons in D&D.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-04, 03:18 PM
highly stylized shadowblade.

Reference?

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-04, 03:22 PM
It -looks- like highly stylized shadowblade. The connection at the forearm is a little close to the elbow and -way- too snug. The apparent center of balance is also way too far forward.

I wouldn't use that one in particular but the weapon it's based on can be useable in skilled hands.

The boot blades are just weird and probably a bad idea.

Google has failed me. What's a shadowblade?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-04, 03:56 PM
It's an english translation of the proper name which is (I think) german. It's been a good while though.

Rayne from bloodrayne uses a pair of them that are only a bit stylized as opposed to that monstrosity. Her techniques are completely ridiculous, of course.

The idea is a blade that is extremely difficult to disarm and that follows the line of the forearm. The point of attachment is supposed to be a fairly padded cuff just below the bicep that's just loose enough to rotate around the forearm without being so loose as to drive into the forearm enough to cause damage on a parry. Naturally, you'd want to avoid a hard block as much as possible.

Heliomance
2014-11-04, 04:04 PM
That picture is definitely Escher Girls worthy. I canh't quite work out what's going on with her torso, but it certainly bears little resemblance to normal humanoid anatomy.

EDIT: Got it. Her torso has been surgically amputated at the waist, then grafted back on at a 90 degree angle. I blame a wizard.

sktarq
2014-11-04, 04:20 PM
The thing on her arm would be somewhat useful device for disarm or sunder type attacks. The sawtooth cutouts for catching a blade sliding along the edge of the blade that can then use to significantly firmer attachment of the device to wrench her(?) opponent's blade out of their hands. . . So basically it would be most useful in defense. It would only really be effective if the elbow can actually bend and I'm not sure about that in this pic. . . and may function as a punch dagger on top of that.

also twelve year old Chinese contortionists in Cirque de Sol could get pointers from this lady.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-04, 06:55 PM
then again, i never expected to see a reference to hork-bajir anywhere.

Drat. Now I want to head over to the Homebrew subforum and start up an Animorphs races thread.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-04, 06:56 PM
Drat. Now I want to head over to the Homebrew subforum and start up an Animorphs races thread.

With some aggressive googling, you will find it has already been done.

Milodiah
2014-11-04, 10:28 PM
They might be totally useless in the real world, but then so are dire flails, double bladed swords, orc double axes and tons of other weapons in D&D.

I've always wondered, do those involve kayak-paddling motions? Because I've always pictured orcs running through the frontline gibbering psychotically and kayakking the crap out of everyone in the way. Useful, no. Hilarious, yes.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-04, 10:34 PM
I've always wondered, do those involve kayak-paddling motions? Because I've always pictured orcs running through the frontline gibbering psychotically and kayakking the crap out of everyone in the way. Useful, no. Hilarious, yes.

That's the only way I can see any non-bludgeoning double weapon working, yeah.

The Oni
2014-11-04, 10:38 PM
If it's 3.5/PF - Because of the size of the armblade I'd give it the stats of an Elven Curve Blade, but treat it as one-handed, so great damage but no 1+1/2 times STR bonus.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-04, 10:55 PM
If it's 3.5/PF - Because of the size of the armblade I'd give it the stats of an Elven Curve Blade, but treat it as one-handed, so great damage but no 1+1/2 times STR bonus.

I think 1d10 is too much for this weapon. The blade may be long and massive (jeez, how much does that thing wheigh, anyway? Imagine having it strapped to your arm like that..), but given that it's strapped to her arm it would be very hard for her to strike or cut someone with the full wheight of the blade.

I think at the most it should do 1d6, with a crit range of 19-20. It should, however, be able to do Piercing or Slashing damage. I see it as a very defensive weapon though, so perhaps a +1 shield bonus to AC? The reason for strapping it to the forearm like that must be to block with it, as she's sacrificing reach and damage from not being able to swing the full blade.
It should definitely be impossible to disarm though, without actually dis-arming her.

The Viscount
2014-11-04, 11:30 PM

I always assumed they just did their best helicopter impression. What I never was able to picture was use of the Gnome Hooked Hammer. I'm half convinced gnomes are all lying about being proficient with it and are playing a big prank on all of us.

Milodiah
2014-11-05, 12:23 AM
I always assumed they just did their best helicopter impression. What I never was able to picture was use of the Gnome Hooked Hammer. I'm half convinced gnomes are all lying about being proficient with it and are playing a big prank on all of us.

"-8 to attack bonus while wielding this weapon, because it is a stupid idea. However, also -4 to the opponent's AC, as he/she/it isn't entirely sure how to handle this singularly confusing situation."

animewatcha
2014-11-05, 12:44 AM
Any chance you would wield it similar to Illidan did ( namely attack animations ) in warcraft 3. His Weapon for comparison.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1521978717_1/World-Of-Warcraft-Illidan-Stormrage-illidan-s-weapons-WOW-warglaive-of-azzinoth-twin-blades-of-azzinoth.jpg

Venger
2014-11-05, 01:16 AM

I figured you'd just whirl it over your head like Darth Maul and look like a clown.

Spiryt
2014-11-05, 04:11 AM
Ice skates, obviously.

She falls forward, extends her arms forward, and slides forth with incredible speeds.

At least with gravity.

Venger
2014-11-05, 04:56 PM
Ice skates, obviously.

She falls forward, extends her arms forward, and slides forth with incredible speeds.

At least with gravity.

So it's like a luge suit?

Fax Celestis
2014-11-05, 05:13 PM
So it's like a luge suit?

I seem to recall a video game where the people had rollerblades strapped to their forearms?

Milodiah
2014-11-05, 09:15 PM
Ice skates, obviously.

At least with gravity.

Man, give her a lance and some good feats to go with it, then laugh your DM away from the table by killing his unoptomized monsters with a lethal maelstrom of pure absurdity.

I'll point out that's one of my life goals for tabletop gaming...filing that option away for future evaluation.

Crake
2014-11-05, 11:11 PM
Suddenly, animorphs nostalgia thread, brilliant. Also, touch attack to acquire new wildshape form is a pretty neat idea.

Spiryt
2014-11-06, 01:19 PM

Well, for all the crap double sword get's it actually could be perfectly usable as some weird staff weapon.With solid gloves on, obviously.

Some Darth Maul weird windmills only when opportunity is right.

It would still likely be waste of time and money, of course, but usable.

The thing pictured here would be luge suit indeed....

http://i.wp.pl/a/f/jpeg/23844/skeleton470.jpeg

Slipperychicken
2014-11-06, 01:42 PM
What is this on her left arm?

It looks like a bulky handle built for the convenience of people trying to grapple her left arm.

If you can't at least get an armlock by leveraging that contrivance, you aren't trying. Just twist it a little in the wrong direction; she'll be in a world of pain, and there isn't much she can do about it.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-06, 02:44 PM
It looks like a bulky handle built for the convenience of people trying to grapple her left arm.

If you can't at least get an armlock by leveraging that contrivance, you aren't trying. Just twist it a little in the wrong direction; she'll be in a world of pain, and there isn't much she can do about it.

Except, you know, cut you with the monstrously enormous blade strapped to her arm.

georgie_leech
2014-11-06, 02:50 PM
Except, you know, cut you with the monstrously enormous blade strapped to her arm.

With a lot of power depending on how it's attached, but likely not a lot of speed. Leverage really would work against her here.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-06, 02:59 PM
With a lot of power depending on how it's attached, but likely not a lot of speed. Leverage really would work against her here.

Well, it's got a stabby bit on the front and in the back and a cutty bit in the middle, so successfully finding an angle of attack that doesn't have a stabby bit or a cutty bit is going to be challenging. Especially if she's actively trying to introduce you to said bits.

georgie_leech
2014-11-06, 03:10 PM
Well, it's got a stabby bit on the front and in the back and a cutty bit in the middle, so successfully finding an angle of attack that doesn't have a stabby bit or a cutty bit is going to be challenging. Especially if she's actively trying to introduce you to said bits.

You misunderstand. Grab the cutty bit on the underside, where it's not bladed, and you can twist that arm with excessive force, using the leverage it offers. It can be hard enough to resist an arm lock without giving your opponent a convenient lever to grab on to.

Spiryt
2014-11-06, 03:14 PM

Damn, that's correct.

Any weekend grappler could probably make her shoulders touch each other just by snatching standard figure four arm lock and yanking the end of it.

She has axish blade which she can chop and stab with at extremely short, awkward range, at extremely awkward angle.

Basically backhand punches, which tend to require spinning motion to have any weight behind them.

And this makes here whole arm trapped and useless for all other purposes.

Several D&D weapons are contrived and silly in search of something 'new' - and it's normal, fantasy has it's rights.

But this one is actually almost straight impossible.

No way of defending it, generally.

The Oni
2014-11-06, 03:28 PM
Damn, that's correct.

Any weekend grappler could probably make her shoulders touch each other just by snatching standard figure four arm lock and yanking the end of it...

...No point in defending it.

I agree that the weapon is dangerous from the perspective of giving your enemy a clear weakness to latch onto, but I don't think it'd be completely ineffective, especially in group combat where grappling isn't an ideal strategy anyway. It strikes me as the sort of weapon you'd give to shock troops or some kind of honor guard, not rank-and-file soldiers. Give it decent stats (1d8/19-20) at least (consider the wounds it's leaving with the serrated edge and sheer size), treat it as a Blocking weapon, but counter it with the user taking a CMD penalty, and maybe a -2 to standard attack rolls but not AoO's?

Slipperychicken
2014-11-06, 03:52 PM

I meant to mention wearing a gauntlet, but I forgot because of sleep-deprivation. People would grab blades all the time in combat when their hands were protected.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-06, 08:09 PM
I meant to mention wearing a gauntlet, but I forgot because of sleep-deprivation. People would grab blades all the time in combat when their hands were protected.

There is even (IIRC) a real-world swordfighting style where the practitioner holds their sword by the handle and by the blade and tries to shove the tip through gaps in their opponent's armor.

ETA: Found an image. Apparently there was also some pommel-striking involved, leading to a very silly-looking fighting style:
http://www.hounlibrointesta.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Augsburg_Cod.I.6.4%C2%BA.2_Codex_Wallerstein_107v. jpg

Venger
2014-11-06, 08:14 PM
There is even (IIRC) a real-world swordfighting style where the practitioner holds their sword by the handle and by the blade and tries to shove the tip through gaps in their opponent's armor.

ETA: Found an image. Apparently there was also some pommel-striking involved, leading to a very silly-looking fighting style:
http://www.hounlibrointesta.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Augsburg_Cod.I.6.4%C2%BA.2_Codex_Wallerstein_107v. jpg

it's a process known most commonly as half-swording (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sword) and is more like a "move" than a style all on its own, like how in boxing you might uppercut sometimes, but it's not like there's an "uppercut only" school of boxing where no other moves are used.

the pic you used is there and also in the page for "Mordhau," the german term for the same practice.

the pommel striking is news to me and it is indeed quite silly not only aesthetically, but also practically. if you want to hit a guy with the pommel, wouldn't it be easier to hold it normally and bring your fist down? silly medieval peoples.

georgie_leech
2014-11-06, 08:38 PM
it's a process known most commonly as half-swording (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sword) and is more like a "move" than a style all on its own, like how in boxing you might uppercut sometimes, but it's not like there's an "uppercut only" school of boxing where no other moves are used.

the pic you used is there and also in the page for "Mordhau," the german term for the same practice.

the pommel striking is news to me and it is indeed quite silly not only aesthetically, but also practically. if you want to hit a guy with the pommel, wouldn't it be easier to hold it normally and bring your fist down? silly medieval peoples.

The drawing is terrible, but I can see a use for a pommel smash if you were drawing the sword back from full extension, using the momentum to bring the hilt and pommel forward if there's an opening. Definitely can't see that grip or angle, though.

Milodiah
2014-11-06, 11:02 PM
From what I understand, the purpose of inverting the sword is to use the cruciform shape of the hilt to hook the opponent's shield and then pull it away.

Not sure what you're supposed to do after that, given the killy bits are pointed towards you now...

georgie_leech
2014-11-07, 03:11 AM
From what I understand, the purpose of inverting the sword is to use the cruciform shape of the hilt to hook the opponent's shield and then pull it away.

Not sure what you're supposed to do after that, given the killy bits are pointed towards you now...

You know, I finally realised why the poor sap looks so weird. The other guy is using the pommel to lift off his helmet. It's not supposed to be practical, he's showing off. Everything suddenly makes sense! :smallcool:

SiuiS
2014-11-07, 03:45 AM
Well, it's got a stabby bit on the front and in the back and a cutty bit in the middle,

and a form grip across the cutty bit, utterly immobilizing the whole thing. :D

That's not so silly in reality as you would think. There's no way your sword is going to cut through armor of that calibur. Your goal is to knock your foe down, break his joints, discombobulated him and then stick the tip of the sword into a weak point like it's a two-handed spear. Because that's the only way you're hurting him with said sword.

Shields weren't that much a problem with longsword fights? And the entire sword is the killing bit. You stabs, slash, shear, bash, and break with as much of it as you're able. Having the point toward your incredibly well armored and protected body is no more dangerous than having the edge or pommel toward your well armored and protected body.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-07, 04:10 AM

Actually, ehat you are looking at in that illustration is the mordschlag, which means murder blow. The purpose is to knock the opponent over the head with the heaviest part of the sword, hopefully killing him in one blow or atleast knocking him unconscious or stunning him.

What most people don't realise is that the entire sword is a weapon, and in close combat it was used as much as a hammer and lever as a cutting and stabbing weapon. Inverting the sword can also be used to hook the shoulder and force an opponent to the ground, for example.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-07, 01:23 PM
Actually, ehat you are looking at in that illustration is the mordschlag, which means murder blow. The purpose is to knock the opponent over the head with the heaviest part of the sword, hopefully killing him in one blow or atleast knocking him unconscious or stunning him.

What most people don't realise is that the entire sword is a weapon, and in close combat it was used as much as a hammer and lever as a cutting and stabbing weapon. Inverting the sword can also be used to hook the shoulder and force an opponent to the ground, for example.

All this talk of not-commonly-known historical uses for swords makes me want to homebrew some feats and/or a PrC that does this sort of stuff...

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-07, 02:44 PM
All this talk of not-commonly-known historical uses for swords makes me want to homebrew some feats and/or a PrC that does this sort of stuff...

That's an excellent idea, actually. I have been wanting something like that myself, but I am terrible with mechanics so I wouldn't know where to begin with designing a Feat.

Slipperychicken
2014-11-07, 02:55 PM

I'd just include them as basic manuevers, since anyone proficient with the weapon should be able to do them. Something like taking a -2 to attack rolls to swing your sword like a hammer and deal damage as a club (i.e. 1d6 bludgeoning).