PDA

View Full Version : Let's Actual Play "The Legend of Zelda"

Deckard6
2014-11-03, 08:09 PM
We're going to play The Legend of Zelda in 5th Edition D&D
After me and my friends used Roll20 to play The Lost Mines of Phandelver I got to thinking, "What other settings would be good to run on Roll20?" I briefly considered 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen', but we'd just done an official D&D product. My mind turned back to old school sprite based games as being a great source of maps, and possibly running a game in one of them. The original Legend of Zelda had both readily available maps, and a classic story of open world adventure. It was perfect. We had our game!

Background
Seventeen years ago Link collected the three sacred stones, got the Ocarina of time... and was never heard from again. Presumably he is dead in a ditch somewhere. Since then Ganon has tightened his grip on Hyrule. Zelda has been captured, but not before dividing the Triforce into nine pieces and seeing them scattered around Hyrule. Now her handmaid Impa has been sent to find a replacement hero(es).

Meet our Characters
The Not So Great Fairy (Sorcerer)- This "fairy" of dubious background was found by Impa in the woods outside of Hyrule. He was in "exile" but decided that it was time to quit that. Uses a fairy in a jar as his arcane focus. Wings are real fairy wings, but sown on. Sort of like Tingle crossed with the God Father.

Aranyos (Ranger)- A member of the cursed Skulltulla family. He was kidnapped at a young age, and when his family refused to pay his ransom they abandoned him in the woods. He learned to live in the wild and befriended the Skulthulla. Also befriended the Zora tribe until Princess Ruto was deposed.

Brother Gorm (Barbarian)- Claims he is just a humble chef, when really he is a master chef. He can cook you a sandwich with real sand that is to die for. He can cook squishy food for the people that eat it. Can also use his cooking implements to great effect in combat. Bong!

Brother Goroche (Cleric)- A hermit who lived up on Death Mountain until Ganon totally ruined the neighborhood. Received a vision from the Farore, Goddess of Courage that there was a task for him. He than traveled down the mountain the ruins of Kakariko village.

Sir Cade (Fighter)- The only member of the group not native to Hyrule. He won the title of Town Master from the previous Town Master of Kakariko village in bet when the old town master fled Hyrule. He arrived in town to find it had burned to the ground, with only an old man handing out "swords".

What Happened to Wangdelver?
You may remember when I posted about my Phan(Wang)delver actual play... and only did one session. Simply, what happened is I lost the player audio for session 2. I figured out what caused it, so I can prevent it from happening again. Take 2 it seems.

What's the Plan?
The plan is to put out an episode every Monday/Wednesday/Friday at 8am. Sessions will be 3-5 episodes of about an hour each. I'm running a week behind so there should always be episodes up on time.

Episodes
First Session Part One (http://youtu.be/4bXzs-_7ktE) \ Part Two (http://youtu.be/KBghZDeMY48)

Yorrin
2014-11-04, 10:11 AM
Just gave it a watch. Looks like it'll be a fun one. Favorite character so far: the Chef.

Ghost Nappa
2014-11-04, 11:37 AM
*snip*

Aaaand subscribed.

flyenemu
2014-11-18, 12:31 PM
I have been kicking around, (and by that I mean obsessing over) the idea of a 5th ed alt campaign set in the LOZ world. I ran into a bit of a snafu attempting to convert Deku and Twili into sub-races of the preexisting core races. My resolve was to then wait with crippling anticipation for the DMG which would outline how precisely to do such a thing. I too shall follow this thread to see the outcome.:smallsmile:

Yagyujubei
2014-11-19, 07:55 PM
reading this makes me want to adapt super metroid into a module for DnD SO BAD....

it would be such an insane amount of work though...

FaerieGodfather
2014-11-19, 11:00 PM
Heh. And I'm currently running Mario Bros.

flyenemu
2014-11-20, 10:57 AM
Heh. And I'm currently running Mario Bros.

Nice! Not sure I would be able to take it seriously, but fun is fun right?:smallsmile:

reading this makes me want to adapt super metroid into a module for DnD SO BAD....

it would be such an insane amount of work though...

In the past editions I have done a 'Legend of Dragoon' homebrew, and though it is quite a bit of work, at least there is a community here to offer feedback. I only had my players to help me back then.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-11-20, 11:09 AM
Somewhere in my collection I have a PDF 3.5 write-up for Paper Mario. More than just the race write-ups on the DnD Wiki; this is a full setting. Anyone interested can PM me. If I could remember where I got it, I'd post the source link. I know it was free, so sharing is a non-issue.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-11-20, 12:24 PM
I actually made a Zelda 5E Handbook for my game table, and I can say with experience that LoZ is Great for roleplaying.

This looks like it'll be enormous fun!

FaerieGodfather
2014-11-21, 06:33 PM
Nice! Not sure I would be able to take it seriously, but fun is fun right?:smallsmile:

I don't understand it, but I've run into it before. All I can say is that some players can and some players can't.